New E13 A/T tires: real world reviews- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    236

    New E13 A/T tires: real world reviews

    Looks like E13 released a flurry of new rubber, Im still on their Gen 1 TRS+ tire, which I love for a front tire(Traction and durability)

    They release 3 new tires, All of which are 2.4 and available in 27er or 29er and mostly available with 3 compounds: MoPo, Race, or Plus
    All-Terrain / Gen 3 / Trail

    All-Terrain / Gen 3 / Enduro

    All-Terrain / Gen 3 / Downhill


    See one review: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...ire-combo.html

    But really looking for any real world feedback

    Im thinking: Trail with Race compound on front with Enduro with Plus compound on the rear

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    166
    I just put an AT trail plus on my front(Stans Arch) Hands down the hardest time I've ever had mounting a tire. 2 tire levers needed vs. Zero levers for the previous E 13 plus.

    Riding tomorrow PM and will report back

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokee300 View Post
    I just put an AT trail plus on my front(Stans Arch) Hands down the hardest time I've ever had mounting a tire. 2 tire levers needed vs. Zero levers for the previous E 13 plus.

    Riding tomorrow PM and will report back

    Interesting on the mounting, sounds like mounting Magic Marys

    Looking forward to your feedback, share the type of terrain that you're riding too?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,952
    Definitely would like to hear a Gen 1&2 comparison.
    Both gen 1&2 were straight AWESOME front tires imo.

    Visualy looks like gen 3 is quite a bit different, especially the side lugs. Hopefully it's faster, brakes better, a bit more compliant but still has unflappable cornering, off camber, traction, & tracks like an arrow. Tall tall order.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jeremy3220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,997
    My e13 trs was so tight on the bead I returned it. My e13 S/S needs to be aired up everyday because it's so porous. I think I'll pass on these.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Definitely would like to hear a Gen 1&2 comparison.
    Both gen 1&2 were straight AWESOME front tires imo.

    Visualy looks like gen 3 is quite a bit different, especially the side lugs. Hopefully it's faster, brakes better, a bit more compliant but still has unflappable cornering, off camber, traction, & tracks like an arrow. Tall tall order.
    You and me both, I'm interested in how the flatness of the old lugs is lost on the new one and it has become more rounded.

    Which tires did you run? TRS + or Race as your front? Was there a noticeable difference between each for RR and traction? Im tempted to run the Race as the winter front

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,952
    Quote Originally Posted by ehfour View Post
    You and me both, I'm interested in how the flatness of the old lugs is lost on the new one and it has become more rounded.

    Which tires did you run? TRS + or Race as your front? Was there a noticeable difference between each for RR and traction? Im tempted to run the Race as the winter front
    Race is definitely stickier, slower, and wears noticeably faster. While I do plenty of sloppy spring/fall riding, I don't ride through the winter so can't speak to it's winter capabilities.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    166
    Here's my initial report. TRS+ AT 27.5 front @ 28PSI, Nobby Nic rear @ 30PSI. Stans Arch MKIII, stans race sealant New England rocky, rooty stuff. A little fire road, a few shortish baby head downhills, not allot of berm/flow stuff. DRY.

    I ran the previous version as a front, same PSI, sealant, rear.

    So far, the AT version seems improved in all regards, faster rolling, stouter sidewalls, grip. Life changing different? No, but absolutely worth the change, despite being a pain in the ass to mount. If I had to isolate a few of the more distinct differences between the two versions, I'd say the AT, has a definite stouter feeling, which is saying something since the previous version felt fairly stout. I also noticed a faster roll. I'll chalk some of this to 1st ride on new rubber enthusiasm, but I think there's more than that. My next ride will be at slightly lower PSI.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New E13 A/T tires: real world reviews-trs4.jpg  

    New E13 A/T tires: real world reviews-trs5.jpg  

    New E13 A/T tires: real world reviews-trs8.jpg  

    New E13 A/T tires: real world reviews-trs6.jpg  


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    52
    I'm running a Gen3 Enduro MoPo front and a SS Enduro Race rear. Gen3 Enduro Race as backup.

    MoPo front is amazing, so much grip. I am still messing around with air pressure and have run it from 19 - 23 psi. 27.5 Arc 30 with CushCore. My mechanic installed it using the trashcan method and had no problem. So far the tire is wearing well.

    SS rear is replacing another SS I burned through this summer. Great tire for buffed out single track and flow trails at the bike park. Also surprisingly fine on tech. Above 24 psi the tread wore too much on the middle two nubs and not enough on the outer two nubs. 27.5 Spank 345 with CushCore. I mounted this one myself and only needed one lever. Key is to push the tire really deep on the opposite side when it gets tight.

    My plan is to replace the SS rear with the Gen3 Enduro Race when the SS is done.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elsinore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    580

    New E13 A/T tires: real world reviews

    A few thoughts on these.
    Ive had all 3 versions.
    Currently Running the enduro casing mopo.

    They roll faster both v1&v2. The casing is awesome, 1200 gram tire. Exceptionally well damped. Iíd say it excels in most dry and loamy conditions.

    Itís terrible in the wet. The rubber compound is way too hard for wet roots and slick rock which is a bummer as the v1 was one of the best tires
    In the wet. V2 was bad in the wet as well.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    A few thoughts on these.
    Ive had all 3 versions.
    Currently Running the enduro casing mopo.

    They roll faster both v1&v2. The casing is awesome, 1200 gram tire. Exceptionally well damped. Iíd say it excels in most dry and loamy conditions.

    Itís terrible in the wet. The rubber compound is way too hard for wet roots and slick rock which is a bummer as the v1 was one of the best tires
    In the wet. V2 was bad in the wet as well.
    That makes me sad as I need a new fall/winter tire....where are you located?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Itís terrible in the wet. The rubber compound is way too hard for wet roots and slick rock which is a bummer as the v1 was one of the best tires
    In the wet. V2 was bad in the wet as well.
    with a 42 on the durometer, you'd be hard pressed to find a tire with a softer compound than MOPO.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    78
    Im mounting up a new MOPO front and new SS Race rear today. old version was my favorite front ever, ran a SS rear just cause the TRS front and rear was so damn slow rolling. if these roll significantly better it'd be sweet to be able to run a MOPO front and race or + rear and get some decent rolling.

    I always found running the old version at pretty low PSI helped them keep cornering hard when you're really leaning the bike and pushing it hard, let the casing flex some and keep the side knobs on the ground, running harder pressure's they'd let go a little too easy at higher lean angles, hopefully the new versions a little better in that regard, I dont mind the low pressure in the front but the rear was super hard to get the pressure right to let it flex some and still avoid dings or completely folding the tire.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elsinore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by ehfour View Post
    That makes me sad as I need a new fall/winter tire....where are you located?
    North Conway, NH

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elsinore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    with a 42 on the durometer, you'd be hard pressed to find a tire with a softer compound than MOPO.
    Thatís what they call it, but the knobs themselves are nowhere near as flexible as say a Maxxis max grip, which is where a lot of traction on wet roots and rocks comes from.
    I liked these tires in the dry well enough, but Iím back on the assegi and dhr2 maxgrip DH casing and happy in the wet once again.

    I think it may have to do with how much reinforcement the side knobs themselves have. They are very stiff.

Similar Threads

  1. Any real world reviews of the new Rip9 RDO
    By dmo in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-31-2019, 07:26 PM
  2. Any real world reviews on the LEV 27.2 yet?
    By blaklabl in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-24-2013, 02:50 PM
  3. shimano xtr real world reviews
    By iwantalitebike in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 12:00 AM
  4. E13 SRS v E13 LG-1
    By Hikers Only in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-08-2012, 06:57 AM
  5. XTC carbon real world reviews?
    By i.a.n. in forum Giant
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-30-2011, 11:49 AM

Members who have read this thread: 125

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.