New carbon wheels but tape is folded. Can I add sealant or retape?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2020

New carbon wheels but tape is folded. Can I add sealant or retape?

I was going to mount my tires on my new carbon wheels but noticed the tape is not straight. 29 Cush core insert with maxxis aggressor 2.4 Do I need to remove it and get it retap it before sealing or can I use the seal on this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New carbon wheels but tape is folded. Can I add sealant or retape?-dee071d1-0628-4f99-ac01-ea487cfc1213.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I would remove the tape, clean and retape using tubeless rim tape.

EAT MORE GRIME
    should retape. tape should be perfect or sealant will find a way to creep around and thru those wrinkles
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Rent this space for $
    Geezuz! Who put those wheels together? That's a frikin' mess. All you'll get with that is constant sealant oozing out of your spoke nipples.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cointossm2 View Post
    I would remove the tape, clean and retape using tubeless rim tape.
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    They are Industry9 i9 29 315c, but its not the manufactures fault it was my fault. I was installing cushcore inserts and maxxis 2.5 aggressor and decided to use a bike lever on one side for leverage cause the tire wound budge then this happened. I think Im gonna ditch the cushcore insert route cause the fronts were super easy to install. O well time to buy new tape. Thank you everyone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GUECO View Post
    They are Industry9 i9 29 315c, but its not the manufactures fault it was my fault. I was installing cushcore inserts and maxxis 2.5 aggressor and decided to use a bike lever on one side for leverage cause the tire wound budge then this happened. I think Im gonna ditch the cushcore insert route cause the fronts were super easy to install. O well time to buy new tape. Thank you everyone.
    Sounds like you need a cush core bead dropper!

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    i will look into that thank you

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Nothing worse then tight beads. I had to use 2 screw drivers last night to get a bead popped that was super tight and screw up up my tape like yours. I hate gorilla tape lol. My whole goal was to change tape anyway.

Im having great luck with muc off rim tape

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
    Nothing worse then tight beads.

Except loose ones

Personally I feel more secure with tires that fit tightly on the rims.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    They work fine for most cases, but no help at all for tight beads.

Thicker tape sucks like gorilla tape, kept my beads locked in, and way to tight. Its why im ditching it. That and its not slick on the outside so tires tend to tear it instead of sliding on top of it.

Putting tape on screwdriver to protect carbon rims and twisting was the only way to break mine.

EAT MORE GRIME
    see if you can get original i9 tape from i9, the stuff they use is great

also soap up dem beads a bit for best success getting bead mounted w/o tools
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Oh, So Interesting!
    For taping, I've had good luck with 2 layers of thin tape like Orange Seal, put one all the way to one side, one all the way to the other side, you still have 2 layers over the spoke holes but it seals better and is less likely to come up as a tire bead will hold the outside edge down.

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    For taping, I've had good luck with 2 layers of thin tape like Orange Seal, put one all the way to one side, one all the way to the other side, you still have 2 layers over the spoke holes but it seals better and is less likely to come up as a tire bead will hold the outside edge down.
    This is EXACTLY the ticket. I just set up my Roval "2Bliss Ready" pre-"taped" bike wheels on my brand new Sirrus X 5.0 Road/Gravel rig. I had a very, very slow air loss over many days but had a constant weeping of separated liquid coming through the nipple holes and running down spokes when the bike was hanging. As soon as I carefully broke the beads to check, the tape was pulled along the edges. I peeled that sh*t all off and double-taped with 18mm Orangeseal on a super clean, alcohol washed rim. I use 24mm on my wide MTB hoops. They're bullet proof and holding air like a champ. After trying many, Orangeseal tape is the only stuff I'll bother with because it ALWAYS works if you do your part correctly.