Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Bontrager XR4 team issue 29 x 2.6

51K views 157 replies 47 participants last post by  Dropout33 
#1 ·
Picked up a pair yesterday! Weights were 940g and 954g, not XC racers, but neither am I!
Bead to Bead measurement brand new was 162mm.
Mounted them up last night on i30mm rims and inflated to about 40psi. This morning they measured out to....
Front 2.582 in/65.65mm casing and 2.668 in/67.57mm tread
Rear 2.598 in/66.05mm casing and 2.664 in/67.54mm tread

Very happy the tread sticks out past the casing a bit! They're on a 2017 FEX 8 and I wouldn't go any bigger on the rear. The left seatstay only has 5-6mm clearance. They look amazing! Can't wait to dial in pressures and hit the trail!

#148 ·
XR5 rolls better due to knobs not being as tall or as big. But DHRII's should have slightly better grip if the width was the same but since the width is 2.6 vs 2.4, it appears the grip is about the same. Both tires have their pros and cons. For me I am enjoying running lower tire pressures as it makes a bigger impact to my overall ride.
I am looking forward to trying a 29x2.6 DHRII if and when it ever comes out

#150 ·
No rubbing issues on a Slash

I have recently Smashed my rear carbon wheel and getting a warranty replacement wheel. Snakebite pucture doing a 3’ stepdown. My XR4 rear is toast. Was running 21-22psi in the back when it happened.

Since i am rebuilding the wheel, I have decided to go with a slightly tougher and faster rolling rear tire and new front tire.

I now have 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekon (dual compound exo casing, 60tpi), 860g on my scale
For the front i got 29x2.6 DHF (3C compund, EXO, 120 tpi), 960g. The Maxxis 60tpi tire should be slightly tougher than the 120tpi XR4.

I was going to run the XR5 in the back but figure i go with a faster rolling Rekon’s instead. I have a 3C rekon (780g) but it wore out in 2-3 months so i got the harder compound.

I was surprised the DHF weighed about the same as the XR5. The knobs are noticeably bigger and taller so it will dig in a bit better than the XR5. The 2.6 DHF Knobs are also taller than the knobs on my 2.5 DHF!!!

Also, I will be installing a pair of Victtoria Airliner tire inserts. Supposed to be just like Cushcore but lighter, easier to install, more durable (2000hrs), and able to run at zero pressure for an hour so I can ditch a spare tube. Technically I only need 1 for the rear rim but the thought of dropping my pressures from 18/22 psi to 14/17 sounds pretty good

#151 ·
No rubbing issues on a Slash

I have recently Smashed my rear carbon wheel and getting a warranty replacement wheel. Snakebite pucture doing a 3' stepdown. My XR4 rear is toast. Was running 21-22psi in the back when it happened.

Since i am rebuilding the wheel, I have decided to go with a slightly tougher and faster rolling rear tire and new front tire.

I now have 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekon (dual compound exo casing, 60tpi), 860g on my scale
For the front i got 29x2.6 DHF (3C compund, EXO, 120 tpi), 960g. The Maxxis 60tpi tire should be slightly tougher than the 120tpi XR4.

I was going to run the XR5 in the back but figure i go with a faster rolling Rekon's instead. I have a 3C rekon (780g) but it wore out in 2-3 months so i got the harder compound.

I was surprised the DHF weighed about the same as the XR5. The knobs are noticeably bigger and taller so it will dig in a bit better than the XR5. The 2.6 DHF Knobs are also taller than the knobs on my 2.5 DHF!!!

Also, I will be installing a pair of Victtoria Airliner tire inserts. Supposed to be just like Cushcore but lighter, easier to install, more durable (2000hrs), and able to run at zero pressure for an hour so I can ditch a spare tube. Technically I only need 1 for the rear rim but the thought of dropping my pressures from 18/22 psi to 14/17 sounds pretty good
Hi, i've switched from the front SE4 29x2.6 and rear XR4 29x2.4 to a faster setup for everyday use and for some simple trails:
Front: XR4 29x2.6 (lighter than SE4)
Rear: XR3 29x2.4 (faster rolling than XR4)
I will try in the next days...
All wheels mounted on bontrager line comp rims with an internal width of approx. 29mm

As bmwzimmer, i'm also tempted to try Maxxis tires with these setups:
Front: DHF 2.6 or 2.5WT
Rear: Rekon 2.6 or 2.4

or for a faster summer/dry setup:

Front: Rekon 2.6
Rear: Ikon 2.35 or 2.6

I've seen and read that the DHF 2.5wt on a 29/30mm internal rim is a little too round shape, resulting in a excessive lean angle to fully engage the side knobs, and it's shape is much better in 35mm rim. (on a 29/30mm rim the DHR2 2.4WT seems to have a perfect profile as a front use)
How change the DHF 2.6 instead the 2.5wt in terms of shape and angle of the side knobs? As you have a Trekm you probabily have too rims with 29mm internal width and you have seen both dhf size...
Thanks

#152 ·
Ordered one of these for the front. Inflated to 35psi and about a minute later it blew off the rim. I noticed a slight wobble a few seconds before as I spun it. It looks to me like the bead where it blew off of the rim is mislocated in the tire. The bead moves up toward the bead seat line. I'm hoping Trek will exchange it.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle tire Tread Synthetic rubber

#155 ·
Ordered one of these for the front. Inflated to 35psi and about a minute later it blew off the rim. I noticed a slight wobble a few seconds before as I spun it. It looks to me like the bead where it blew off of the rim is mislocated in the tire. The bead moves up toward the bead seat line. I'm hoping Trek will exchange it.

View attachment 1240345
This happened to me on a 2.4 XR4 Team issue 1.5 years ago. It has scared me for life and I try to wear eye protection when I set a tire up tubless and inflate to 35psi. I didn't bother taking it back but I should have.

#156 ·
I have a 2.6 xr5 on the front, and I'm thinking of exchanging for a xr4. Any real world reviews of xr4 vs xr5 for a front tire? I am in the PNW so seems to always be some moisture around in the dirt.
XR5 is flatter, XR4 is more rounded. XR4 rolls better but XR5 has better braking and more grip. Also XR5 sheds mud better too. My XR4 weighed 960g, my XR5 weighed 970g so weight was a wash. Both great tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.