Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I do, it's actually slightly larger than the 2.4 (casing) and a little more round. Awesome for rear tire.
    Sweet thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    2017 version is being clearanced out. price is nutty good

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-QTY-Bontr...72.m2749.l2649

really doubt these will last long @ 55pr

for those of you who don't know random bike parts / crosslake sales is a wholesaler. they buy large lots from manufacturers.

which makes you wonder why the hell trek sold all the 2017 tires off rather than through dealers on sale. these things move FAST

se4 is also available here if you need a reinforced casing and i think {but am not sure} they may use a softer compound? anyone remember on the xr vs se?
    Is that 2017 version the same tire as the 2018, except for the graphics?

mtbr member
    New Bontrager XR4 team issue 29 x 2.6-20180718_181828.jpgas far as i can tell, yes, same dual compound rubber and a 780-800g weight, i have 4 of them and the highest was 793g. lowest 778g. the ebay ad is wrong as they likely weighed an se tire and used the weight on both ads. 2017 is when the major change to xr4 took place and the tread redesign happened

behaves like maxxis rubber. no idea who trek had make these but maxxis is high on my suspect list.

rolling resistance is excellent. traction is similar to a speed grip nobby nic but requires a bit more lean angle. i really like the tire and they are not dried out. all 4 came very rubbery and fresh feeling. once ridden and allowed to fill in the measure 60mm on a 24mm id xmc1200 rim

you get 10% off if you buy 4 so you can get a couple years worth of tire for $100. best tire deal i know of right now for a rowdy xc or good trail tire. above is an actual picture of the ebay tires

I should be out riding
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    Mine came in today. It's replacing a WTB Ranger 3.0 L/F and joining an XR4/29-2 2.35 in the back.

Actual weight: 914g
    B2B: 160mm
    Tread, i39, 40 PSI, new: 67.2mm / 2.65"
    Casing, i39, 40 PSI, new: 67.5mm / 2.66"
    Height, unloaded, bare wheel: 29.9"
    Hey, what rims are you running in these pics? Any concerns with the XR4 being too square with wider width rims?
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's motorized.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    Mine came in today. It's replacing a WTB Ranger 3.0 L/F and joining an XR4/29-2 2.35 in the back.

Actual weight: 914g
    B2B: 160mm
    Tread, i39, 40 PSI, new: 67.2mm / 2.65"
    Casing, i39, 40 PSI, new: 67.5mm / 2.66"
    Height, unloaded, bare wheel: 29.9"

The casing feels stiffer and thicker than the Ranger. On the wheel, it's about 0.25" shorter and 0.3" narrower. No problems mounting it by hand. Used a floor pump for the initial bead seat.

EDIT: 6 hours later, it's 69.5mm casing and 68.7mm tread. Still 40 PSI.

EDIT: Next day, at riding pressure (~16 PSI), it was 67.5mm.

Measurements:

Attachment 1202956
    Attachment 1202963

Side view:

Attachment 1202964
    Attachment 1202962

The 29-2 2.35 actually has a 2.45" casing, that's the only reason the XR4 doesn't look even bigger. 180mm rotor on the front wheel.

Compared to the Ranger:

Attachment 1202957
    Attachment 1202960
    Attachment 1202959

Lefty 1.0 clearance:

Attachment 1202961

If anyone's curious, this is Slime STR on the Ranger after about 4 months. Super tacky, but not actually flowing. I wonder if there's something I can add to make it liquid again, the sealant itself seems in fine shape. (EDIT: Slime says to just add water.)

Attachment 1202958

No riding impressions yet, it just rained over here. Maybe in a few days. First trial will probably be at 17-18 PSI.
    What are your thoughts on the tire?

I'm thinking about getting these to replace a 2.5wt DFH up front. I would be looking at a 29x2.6 or 3.0. My rear is a Maxxis Aggressor 2.5wt and may or may not change it out to.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    2017 version is being clearanced out. price is nutty good

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-QTY-Bontr...72.m2749.l2649

really doubt these will last long @ 55pr

for those of you who don't know random bike parts / crosslake sales is a wholesaler. they buy large lots from manufacturers.

which makes you wonder why the hell trek sold all the 2017 tires off rather than through dealers on sale. these things move FAST

se4 is also available here if you need a reinforced casing and i think {but am not sure} they may use a softer compound? anyone remember on the xr vs se?
    Thank You! Got an order in today.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Is that 2017 version the same tire as the 2018, except for the graphics?
    Yes. Confirmed with Trek on the SE4's (same tread pattern as XR4...just more burly casing). Just graphics update for 2018.
    I use the SE4's rear only on both my Hightower and Spot Mayhem. Slightly less weight than an Aggressor EXO 2.3, way better volume, and I feel like they roll slightly better than the Aggressor. So far the casing has stood up to the rough environment here in CO (Mainly Front Range & Crested Butte riding). I killed a handful of rear Aggressors over the past year and so far the SE4's have been solid (running them on Derby 30mm IW rims)

As I have said in other threads I would have never thought about running Bontrager tires a year and a half ago, but their newer gen tires are solid. I started with the Chupas (29x3's) a little more than a year ago on my plus wheelset for my fatbike and was really impressed with those tires. Since then have swapped the front on that wheelset to a XR4 29x3 with the Chupa still in the rear and then ran a 29x2.4 XR4 front earlier in season on my Mayhem and all the tires have been rock solid.

Good review on nsmb.com back in May on the XR4/SE4 tires ---> https://nsmb.com/articles/bontrager-...m-issue-tires/

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderofPA View Post
    Thank You! Got an order in today.
    Booo ... They don't have the 2.6 or 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    Booo ... They don't have the 2.6 or 3

Bontrager tires are the best!! I always go back to them when my curiosity makes me try something different. They allowed me to have more fun and more time just riding my bike without worrying about a tire thatís going to fail on the trail.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    For those of you not happy with the XR4 2.6 outback have you tried or considered a Rekon 2.6. I'm thinking I may try DHR 2.5 up front and Rekon 2.6 out back. If there is clearance issues I may try the Agressor.

Sort of need to know what you didn't like about the XR4 to be able to suggest a replacement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Between the rain and work and etc...finally got enough ride time on the 2.6's to get them dialed in. Settled on 17f/19r and weigh 180 rtr. Could go a bit lower but rather not risk rim damage. So far, love em. Rollover is much better than 27x3; traction is nearly as good(different brand tires on 27x3, so not a direct comparison) they roll fast once moving but do take a little more effort to get going. They weigh a little over 100g more than the 27x3's. Cush is close and rolling resistance about the same.
    I picked up a used cassette and put some old rotors on the 27x3 wheels and can swap them out in a minute now. Gonna take the 27x3 out next time since it's been a loooong time since I've rode them and have upgraded my fork since then. I may have a set of wheels for sale soon....I dunno, depends on how the next ride goes!
    I have a set of 29x2.4 XR4's to try out too. Lighter than 2.6's, but I'm sure cush and traction will be a bit less. They're not as tall either, so rollover might be not as good.
    The 2.6's are holding up well, the rear has pinged off lots of roots and rocks w/o any damage and tread wear is minimal despite messing around doing wheelies and endos on the street.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well hell....now I'm confused. Just finished a loop on the 27x3's and at first thought I was killing it! Oddly, it seemed they climbed easier, but I guess that's due to their lighter weight and slightly different gearing being smaller. They definitely carve corners better than the 29ers, but when I hit the chunkier sections, momentum was lower, rollover obviously less, and I had a few pedal scuffs which I've had none with the 29ers. Also spun out one time on a short steep climb due to coming into it slower. It was getting dark half way through the ride and this was only the 2nd time I've ridden with lights, so that may have affected things a bit. I think I'll have to give them another shot to be fair and then the 29x2.4's go on for testing. They should be close to the same weight as the 27x3's and just a bit shorter the the 29x2.6's. Cush and traction unknown.
    Edit: The 27x3's are waaay easier to wheelie for some reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Slightly off topic, but anyone looked or tried the new 29x2.6 SE2 tires.

I was really wanting a 2.4 SE3 to be made for the rear. But maybe the wider 2.6 SE2 might be ok. At least in the dry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Got another ride on the 27x3's and had more pedal scuffs than last time and got hung up on some roots on a few climbs. 29ers are definitely better for me and the trails I ride.
    Gonna do the 29x2.6's again and then try the 2.4's to see which work better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hey man, have you noticed any buzzing in the front tire with the mud flap? The clearance there is tight! I'm about to buy some XR4 for my FEX9 but not sure if I should go 2.4 or 2.6

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I can tell you that on my 2017 Fuel EX 9.8, I do get some buzzing from mud on my XR 4ís on the front fender, at least a little bit. Itís not usually an issue, but it has happened.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I took it off, don't ride in mud anyway. Plus it was really tight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    I took it off, don't ride in mud anyway. Plus it was really tight.
    so you what are you riding now?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I rode the 27x3's last few rides but put the 29x2.6 back on. Rollover for the win. I will probably try some 2.4's out next.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    Yes. Confirmed with Trek on the SE4's (same tread pattern as XR4...just more burly casing). Just graphics update for 2018.
    I use the SE4's rear only on both my Hightower and Spot Mayhem. Slightly less weight than an Aggressor EXO 2.3, way better volume, and I feel like they roll slightly better than the Aggressor. So far the casing has stood up to the rough environment here in CO (Mainly Front Range & Crested Butte riding). I killed a handful of rear Aggressors over the past year and so far the SE4's have been solid (running them on Derby 30mm IW rims)

As I have said in other threads I would have never thought about running Bontrager tires a year and a half ago, but their newer gen tires are solid. I started with the Chupas (29x3's) a little more than a year ago on my plus wheelset for my fatbike and was really impressed with those tires. Since then have swapped the front on that wheelset to a XR4 29x3 with the Chupa still in the rear and then ran a 29x2.4 XR4 front earlier in season on my Mayhem and all the tires have been rock solid.

Good review on nsmb.com back in May on the XR4/SE4 tires ---> https://nsmb.com/articles/bontrager-...m-issue-tires/
    I would echo this for rough Idaho backcountry - lots of slate, chipped granite and general loose detritus. The 29x2.4 SE4 TE rolls nicely, with decent climbing/braking and quite good cornering.

And it is really tough for this weight - I smash things regularly on the SB55, but don't like 1100 draggy grams in the rear. Similar ride to a Nobby Nic, though I murdered 3 of those by slicing tread and sidewalls... so much for light & fast from Schwalbe. I may try an XR4 out back (under 800 grams), but would feel like I'm rolling the dice...

I would not use the 29x2.4 4 series up front - that is reserved for a 2.5 DHF or 2.4 DHRII and ass-saving in fast corners. Would love to see a 29x2.4 or 2.5 XR5 under 1000 grams

mtbr member
    I know pics can be deceiving, but the 2.4" actually looks more rounded than the 2.6" in the ones posted here. To me, the side knobs also look more prominent on the 2.6"(which I'd prefer on the front), but it's hard to tell whether that's reality or just perspective due to the angle of the pics.
    Any comments on that?
    May be totally off base, but here's what I'm talking about:
    New Bontrager XR4 team issue 29 x 2.6-2018-08-07_11.40.33-1-1.jpg

I have used the 2.4" on i29, and am probably going to mount it back up this week. Even with it, I've thought a wider rim would be a better match for the sake of sidewall support, though(if I settle on this for the front and buy a carbon wheelset, it's probably getting i34).
    I've been screwing around with different tires for awhile now, and am thinking the XR4 may be my most livable compromise for general use. Would kinda like to try a 2.6" on i29 up front, just to see, but want to make things better, not worse!

mtbr member
    It's definitely not a square tire and isn't designed to function as one. I mean you could put it on a wide enough wheel to make it square but then you increase the rolling resistance and at that point you may as well go minion /aggressor. For a rounded Tire I feel the traction is pretty good and more importantly predictable. The tire lets you know what it's doing and it rolls really well. Nobby Nic speedgrip is definitely in the same class but then you have that gaudy looking blue line down the tire. There are some rounded tires I have ridden that are downright terrible but this is certainly not one of them. At least not until it wears down. once those knobs start to heat cycle and wear down the tire gets downright sketchy. I know the latest trend is to go wider and wider but if you guys actually time yourself through various courses you might find that wider and bigger is not always faster.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I do, it's actually slightly larger than the 2.4 (casing) and a little more round. Awesome for rear tire.
    SO are you saying the SE3 29x2.3 has a larger casing/more volume than the SE4 29x2.4 tire?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    DHF is sketchy on anything wet. No siping means it skates sideways as fast as forwards.

The XR-4 is no mud tire by any stretch -- it's just more predictable in the wet than the DHF.
    Having my DHF suddenly let go on me one too many times, I'm considering the SE4. I ride in the PacNW and so wet performance is important.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    How new the tire is makes a big difference in wet conditions. The xr4 uses 61/50 rubber which is the same as a maxxis dc. Maxx terra is softer and better in the wet but really. Flexibility diminishes with age pretty quickly. The best Oregon Washington wet weather combo I have actually found is Magic Mary and hans in the back. The dhf works you just want to be replacing them every two years at the very most. Yearly would be better. Also if you run them on a wide rim like a lot of people it Squares Off the tread which reduces the off-camber grip. Break aways become more of an on/off unless you run really low pressure which has its own set of drawbacks

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    If riding in the wet a lot, get a Shorty. XR4/SE4 is not exactly known for wet performance

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Having my DHF suddenly let go on me one too many times, I'm considering the SE4. I ride in the PacNW and so wet performance is important.
    If you haven't seen the NSMB review on the Bonty tires, it might be worth reading - https://nsmb.com/articles/bontrager-...m-issue-tires/
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    If you haven't seen the NSMB review on the Bonty tires, it might be worth reading - https://nsmb.com/articles/bontrager-...m-issue-tires/
    Thanks for the link. That's my terrain.

From their review, it sounds like the XR/SE4 isn't ideally suited as a front for my area.

I had a Butcher on my last bike that worked pretty well, but would seep sealant at an alarming rate. I'd still consider that one for a front tire in grid casing and 2.6. Maybe then an XR4 on the back.

I'd need wider rims than my current 25 mm, but all this is getting to be quite expensive. There would have to be a significant advantage to using 2.6 tires to justify the cost. Maybe it's worth it.

mtbr member
    How new the tire is makes a big difference in wet conditions. The xr4 uses 61/50 rubber which is the same as a maxxis dc. Maxx terra is softer and better in the wet but really. Flexibility diminishes with age pretty quickly. The best Oregon Washington wet weather combo I have actually found is Magic Mary and hans in the back. The dhf works you just want to be replacing them every two years at the very most. Yearly would be better. Also if you run them on a wide rim like a lot of people it Squares Off the tread which reduces the off-camber grip. Break aways become more of an on/off unless you run really low pressure which has its own set of drawbacks
    Actually, my front tire washouts have occurred in very dry trail conditions. It does get quite dry here in late summer.

I've heard a lot of great reviews on the Magic Mary for this area.

mtbr member
    Actually, my front tire washouts have occurred in very dry trail conditions. It does get quite dry here in late summer.

I've heard a lot of great reviews on the Magic Mary for this area.
    Magic Mary is wonderful when it gets wet up here. If you're riding dry or especially the East part of the state where it gets really dry. Soft rubber is about the only thing you can do. The dhf in Max Terra is my general go to if I'm riding the eastern part of Oregon or Washington. That ball bearing dirt that builds up on the side of the trails sucks. You just need a soft compound. Magic Mary may or may not work depending on your riding style in those conditions because the knobs are so tall they get flexible and squirmy

WNC Native
    Thanks for the link. That's my terrain.

From their review, it sounds like the XR/SE4 isn't ideally suited as a front for my area.

I had a Butcher on my last bike that worked pretty well, but would seep sealant at an alarming rate. I'd still consider that one for a front tire in grid casing and 2.6. Maybe then an XR4 on the back.

I'd need wider rims than my current 25 mm, but all this is getting to be quite expensive. There would have to be a significant advantage to using 2.6 tires to justify the cost. Maybe it's worth it.

Yeah it sounds like he prefers the SE5 that he's testing better on the front.

FYI- I have a buddy who ran the Butcher 2.6 Grid tire. He loved the tire and didn't have any sealant weeping issues. However after plenty of tubeless miles it had only made it to 2.5" on an i36 rim. That said it grew quite a bit in overall diameter and ended up around 29.6-29.75".

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Other than buying from Trek online store or Trek dealer, any other means to get Bonti tires (on sale?). Looking at the 2.6 size, so I'm guessing they are hard to come by other than from Trek themselves.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    @mikesee on this forum sells just about everything including Bontrager. I've bought from him in the past. Great service and very fast shipping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Other than buying from Trek online store or Trek dealer, any other means to get Bonti tires (on sale?). Looking at the 2.6 size, so I'm guessing they are hard to come by other than from Trek themselves.
    I'm having a hard time finding these on sale too. The 2.4 sizes seem to be available at good prices but not the 2.6s. Anyone know what mikesee sells them for? or is this something that needs to be taken off-line?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    I know pics can be deceiving, but the 2.4" actually looks more rounded than the 2.6" in the ones posted here. To me, the side knobs also look more prominent on the 2.6"(which I'd prefer on the front), but it's hard to tell whether that's reality or just perspective due to the angle of the pics.
    Any comments on that?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-08-07_11.40.33-1-1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	1212019

I have used the 2.4" on i29, and am probably going to mount it back up this week. Even with it, I've thought a wider rim would be a better match for the sake of sidewall support, though(if I settle on this for the front and buy a carbon wheelset, it's probably getting i34).
    I've been screwing around with different tires for awhile now, and am thinking the XR4 may be my most livable compromise for general use. Would kinda like to try a 2.6" on i29 up front, just to see, but want to make things better, not worse!
    Hi, i've also a trek fuel ex 8 with 29i rims... and previously have Xr4 2.4.... the side knobs were really pointing out requiring crazy lean angles to full engage them... watching the pictures(2.4 vs 2.6) assuming both were on 29i rims... i also noticed that the profile of the 2.6 seems better, with side knobs more vertical and engaging them with less lean angle... anybody can confirm??? thanks!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Horses for courses and all that. DHF is awesome in dry conditions, but pretty sketchy on wet roots/rocks. DHF was my go-to for a ~decade, but there are so many better tires now. I'd take the XR-4 2.6" every day of the week over a DHF 2.5" nowadays.
    miksee... really interesting... are you comparing the Xr4 2.6 vs a DHF 2.5 wt ??
    Are you prefering the xr4 only for the better wet roots/rocks control, or do you consider a XR4 2.6 a better overall front trail tire? Maybe because Xr4 has some intermediate knobs and has not the open channel(vague zone) that the DHF has? In some normal trails you can't always lean the bike that much as in a bike park, and so maybe an Xr4 2.6 could be a better choice?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by zambo78 View Post
    miksee... really interesting... are you comparing the Xr4 2.6 vs a DHF 2.5 wt ??
    Are you prefering the xr4 only for the better wet roots/rocks control, or do you consider a XR4 2.6 a better overall front trail tire? Maybe because Xr4 has some intermediate knobs and has not the open channel(vague zone) that the DHF has? In some normal trails you can't always lean the bike that much as in a bike park, and so maybe an Xr4 2.6 could be a better choice?
    I've ridden the DHF 2.5wt for a long time and never liked it because of the 'dead spot'. If you are not riding full lilt or like a DB on moderate trails, there are much better options out there.

I went from a DHF 29x2.5wt to an XR2 29x3 and love it. I will be trying the XR4 when my 2 wears down.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by zambo78 View Post
    do you consider a XR4 2.6 a better overall front trail tire?

Yes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    I've ridden the DHF 2.5wt for a long time and never liked it because of the 'dead spot'. If you are not riding full lilt or like a DB on moderate trails, there are much better options out there.

I went from a DHF 29x2.5wt to an XR2 29x3 and love it. I will be trying the XR4 when my 2 wears down.

Hi, thanks for your advice... maybe the XR2 3.0 could be great in front but i'm on 29i rims and i prefer to stay in the 2.4/2.6 range...

As you and mikesee confirmed, when riding in some "normal" trails with medium skills, it's not possibile take corners at the highest speed or at the correct speed every time... so a 2.6 tyre with a sort of intermediate knobs like the xr4, can be a good choice that maybe has less maximum grip at edge like a DHF, but better grip in the "intermediate zone".

Many many people with all kind of skills or terrain simply put a dhf only because it's know to be one of the top front tires.. but sometimes there is a lot more to consider...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    SO are you saying the SE3 29x2.3 has a larger casing/more volume than the SE4 29x2.4 tire?
    Yes. The XR3 2.3 and XR2 2.35 are both larger than the XR4 2.4 when on an i24, i27, and i30 rim (me and the wife have a lot of bikes...haha).

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Finally blew out my rear Onza so I am threw my front Onza on the rear and the 2017 XR4 on the front. That was the easiest new tire install I have ever had. A little bit of soapy water and a floor pump, 30 seconds later I have a 40 PSI inflated tire stretching!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Any comments on that?

Name:	2018-08-07_11.40.33-1-1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	1212019

Regarding what already sayd by OwenM, this is what we see from the pictures...
    Different angle at where the side knobs works... 2.6 and 2.4 on the same 30mm rim...
    This is strange because keeping the same rim, and use a wider tire, should do the opposite to the side knobs... these 2.6 instead seems to have really another carcass design and/or a different knobs placement or different cutted/shaped side knobs

New Bontrager XR4 team issue 29 x 2.6-xr4-24-26.jpg

mtbr member
    The 2.6 se/xr5 is much larger then the 2.3 se/xr5 and also the 2.4 se/xr4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

2.6 XR5 + 2.6 XR4 Combo

Mounted XR5/XR4 combination on 35mm inner width wheels on a Slash. I'm a 145lb rider and where I live there aren't a ton of sharp rocks. Maxxis EXO casing is plenty tough for me so I opted for the XR tires rather than SE tires. Geared up I am 155lbs. I found that 18psi in the front and 21psi out back works best for me. Any lower the tires will start to get a little squirmish and can burp on occasion (see a bit of sealant leaking out the sides). At 18/21, the tire don't leak any sealant at all.

Prior to this I ran the 2.6 XR4 front and back.

For a front tire, I think I prefer the XR5 although the XR4 had its benefits. Although the roundness of the tires are similar (to my eye), the XR4 feels more rounded and is more eager/easier to turn in and the bike felt more maneuverable at slow speeds. It rolls better and the knobs are slightly smaller and not as tall. XR5 is better at braking and total grip is better. It is a bit more confidence inspiring when going fast and I feel more comfortable going faster with XR5's in the front.

Anyways, if you like you can check out some footage I shot (with the new Hero 7, both Chest mounted and Chin mounted) with XR4 and XR5 tires in the terrain I normally ride at in Southern California.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_n...m9-oD9sbdHkNeg

Perhaps I'll do a video review since there aren't a ton of reviews at the moment.

New Bontrager XR4 team issue 29 x 2.6-img_0554.jpgNew Bontrager XR4 team issue 29 x 2.6-tire-compare.jpg
    New Bontrager XR4 team issue 29 x 2.6-gptempdownload.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks bmwzimmer for the info, pictures and videos!
    Really nice rides and location!
    I finally got a 2.6 in the front, but the shop send me an SE4 29x2.6 at the same price as the XR4 was sold out. (Damn for the extra 100gr. of weight..)

However, the new tire seem perfect on my 29i rims... the casing width is 2.52 and the largest knob width is exactly 2.6. The casing is really a lot more supportive than the xr4, and so the pressure can drop a bit, and i personally don't feel tire squirm. The measures above are at 16psi.
    If i were on the xr4 casing on 2.6, i agree with you that 18psi in the front should be great.

Another aspect regarding side knobs engagement... as i posted before, i now can confirm that an XR4/SE4 2.6 on the same 29i rim, has a better profile than the XR4/SE4 2.4.
    The central part is a little more rounded, but more important the side knobs are a little less vertical, so they engage at a less leaning angle. Good for the front in my opinion.

I've done only one test ride, not enough, but the feeling seems good...
    Paired with an "old" but still good in shape XR4 in 2.4 in the rear at 24psi

Compared to the previous tires (Michelin Wild AM/Force AM) there are big improvements in all aspects... (I didn't liked this michelin combo for my style/trails...)
    Compared to the previous XR4 2.4 front and rear, i feel the bike now a little more confidence inspiring in the front and "forgiving".
    I do the same things but i feel a little more secure.
    The slightly rounded front profile really invite you to lean the bike when you approach turns..
    A so big front tire "eat" al the trail imperfections a little better in my opinion.

Is this setup faster? I don't know! But i think that for a normal riding style it can be a good option and for the moment i'm happy...
    just my experience...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Right on Zambo78!! Glad you like the 2.6 XR4 in the front. The great thing about the rounder profile of the XR4 is it rolls great when going straight and climbing. There appears to be less drag.
    Also on the Descents since you are running low pressures, most of the weight is on the front tire when it gets steep so the XR4 really flattens out nicely and you are getting the benefits of a flatter tire profile for the steep stuff. Kind of the best of both worlds actually, the only issue is the weight of the 2.6 tires are quite considerable. I don't want to run a 2.4 XR4 out back as I would need to pump it to about 24-26psi. Currently with the 2.6 tire out back at much lower air pressure, the ride quality and comfort is really nice!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
    Mounted XR5/XR4 combination on 35mm inner width wheels on a Slash. I'm a 145lb rider and where I live there aren't a ton of sharp rocks. Maxxis EXO casing is plenty tough for me so I opted for the XR tires rather than SE tires. Geared up I am 155lbs. I found that 18psi in the front and 21psi out back works best for me. Any lower the tires will start to get a little squirmish and can burp on occasion (see a bit of sealant leaking out the sides). At 18/21, the tire don't leak any sealant at all.

Prior to this I ran the 2.6 XR4 front and back.

For a front tire, I think I prefer the XR5 although the XR4 had its benefits. Although the roundness of the tires are similar (to my eye), the XR4 feels more rounded and is more eager/easier to turn in and the bike felt more maneuverable at slow speeds. It rolls better and the knobs are slightly smaller and not as tall. XR5 is better at braking and total grip is better. It is a bit more confidence inspiring when going fast and I feel more comfortable going faster with XR5's in the front.

Anyways, if you like you can check out some footage I shot (with the new Hero 7, both Chest mounted and Chin mounted) with XR4 and XR5 tires in the terrain I normally ride at in Southern California.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_n...m9-oD9sbdHkNeg

Perhaps I'll do a video review since there aren't a ton of reviews at the moment.

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	1221805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire compare.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	1221806

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	1221807
    How do you compare the XR5 to Minion DHR II? XR5 is only slightly lighter, while DHR seams to have more options with triple compound and more sipping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    XR5 rolls better due to knobs not being as tall or as big. But DHRII's should have slightly better grip if the width was the same but since the width is 2.6 vs 2.4, it appears the grip is about the same. Both tires have their pros and cons. For me I am enjoying running lower tire pressures as it makes a bigger impact to my overall ride.
    I am looking forward to trying a 29x2.6 DHRII if and when it ever comes out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12