Need A Suggestions on tires for my riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Need A Suggestions on tires for my riding?

For years, I've ran, Richie SpeedMax Tires. Trail rides and a little street. They are almost "Slicks" as my friends refer to them.

I am a mountain biker. This year what I did was, trail ride on the weekends with friends, but did base miles during the week, on a paved trail. I've gotten so used to the fastness of the speed max, everything else seems so slow.

What I'm looking for is, a tire that is fast like the slickness of the speedMax, but has a little more tread on top.

I seem to get goat heads a lot, so I was looking at a Specialized Armadillo. The one with the low tread on top seems like it would wear out pretty fast on the pavement.

Can someone suggest a tire that I'm describing?

Thank you,
    Chris.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by happydog500
    For years, I've ran, Richie SpeedMax Tires. Trail rides and a little street. They are almost "Slicks" as my friends refer to them.

I am a mountain biker. This year what I did was, trail ride on the weekends with friends, but did base miles during the week, on a paved trail. I've gotten so used to the fastness of the speed max, everything else seems so slow.

What I'm looking for is, a tire that is fast like the slickness of the speedMax, but has a little more tread on top.

I seem to get goat heads a lot, so I was looking at a Specialized Armadillo. The one with the low tread on top seems like it would wear out pretty fast on the pavement.

Can someone suggest a tire that I'm describing?

Thank you,
    Chris.
    Well, the tire you are describing is a Specialized Armadillo of some sort (because you specifically mention it).

There are other options, and I suggest swapping tires for your pavement rides and back to full knobbies for the dirt.

I do not use any special flat resistant tires or methods. Have not had a goat head in a tire (or any flat) this year while riding all over NCW, on and off road. Have been trying a few tires that are OK on pavement and still work on dirt. Still not as good as dedicated treads.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0