Need some tough/light AM wheel recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

Need some tough/light AM wheel recommendations

Iím looking at options for wheels for a new bike Iím building. Havenít decided on the frame for sure, but in the 110-120 travel range, will probably be something similar to a following.
    I want to keep it a light climby bike, Iíll be doing some endurance, maybe xc racing on it.
    With the local trails Iíll be riding it on and how I ride, I do need it to be reasonably tough and handle the occasional plow through rock gardens. I fluctuate between 160-175lbs depending on if Iím focusing more on enduro/dh or doing lots of endurance.

Im looking at some of the we are one composites rims, Iíve really wanted to try them out. my budgets around 1500, can go a little more if I absolutely need to. Trying to avoid anything super stuff, and probably not too wide as I wonít be running wider than a 2.5 tire max.

id LIKE to end up around 1400-1500 grams for the wheelset. That might be unrealistic for something that can take some abuse.
    Iíve also been thinking of just buying a second, heavy beater wheelset.

Any ideas?

Barely in control
    Any 32 spoke carbon wheel is going to be tough enough to survive many a ride as long as you put air in your tires so as to not ride rocks on your rim. My Carbonfan all mountain rims weigh 400g each and I've already gotten my money's worth out of them.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, with all of these carbon rims, from Light Bicycles to Envy, the only important thing is not going to low on the pressure and smacking it on a rock. None of them will stand up to that, but the proper rim width and build for your application will survive extreme use and abuse. I've DH raced them a lot, XC raced them, pushed them hard on descents, jumps, gaps, cased of course from time to time, and everything else. They do it and they stay true, unlike aluminum rims that "wander" and eventually get thrown out of true by a big hit, but again, it depends on monitoring your pressure and ensuring it is enough.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbpete
    Nox rims and light spokes with some quality hubs can get you close to where you want to be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Ibis 935s would fit the bill, actual weight according to Competitive Cyclist is 1580g.

Downcountry AF
    Here you go. https://reynoldscycling.com/collecti...ducts/tr-309-s

Lifetime warranty on the rims, high engagement hubs, strong.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Good recommendations so far. The warranty on the we are ones and Reynolds is a huge selling point, the ibis rims also seem good, just not sure about the width. Some of my favorite tires Iíve been running on my 30mm rims are a little on the square side, wouldnít mind something 30mm or less to get/keep the profile round. Of course a wider rim might work great with other tires.

What about going with 28 instead of 32 spokes, is that going to hurt strength? Or mostly stiffness? I want about as flexy as I can get with carbon, (another selling point of the we are ones)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scandy1 View Post
    Good recommendations so far. The warranty on the we are ones and Reynolds is a huge selling point, the ibis rims also seem good, just not sure about the width. Some of my favorite tires Iíve been running on my 30mm rims are a little on the square side, wouldnít mind something 30mm or less to get/keep the profile round. Of course a wider rim might work great with other tires.

What about going with 28 instead of 32 spokes, is that going to hurt strength? Or mostly stiffness? I want about as flexy as I can get with carbon, (another selling point of the we are ones)
    I'm selling a brand new set of carbon wheels I'm not using. Just PM'd you.

This place needs an enema
    I want about as flexy as I can get with carbon

Clarify?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Clarify?
    As in I donít want a super stiff wheelset with no give. I like the flex of aluminum. But want carbon for the strength, and to try something a smidge stiffer than an aluminum wheelset. Iíve ridden carbon wheels that were WAY too stiff and just pinged around off stuff.

This place needs an enema
    As in I donít want a super stiff wheelset with no give. I like the flex of aluminum. But want carbon for the strength, and to try something a smidge stiffer than an aluminum wheelset. Iíve ridden carbon wheels that were WAY too stiff and just pinged around off stuff.

You might be a candidate for Berd spokes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    DT Swiss XM 1501

Quality alu wheelset at 1577gr for 25mm inner diameter. Ticks all boxes and can do pretty much everything.

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dirty B View Post
    DT Swiss XM 1501

Quality alu wheelset at 1577gr for 25mm inner diameter. Ticks all boxes and can do pretty much everything.
    This, but would go with XM 481 for a 30mm ID instead. Allows for a bigger high volume 2.4-2.6 tire with more meat!

Also, see here....https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...e-1069730.html
    NEMBA
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Agreed,
    i run xm 481 with 350 hubs myself. I believe the xm1501 are prebuild and use the same rims but different hubs..? Btw xm1501 can also be had with 30mm rims.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    You might be a candidate for Berd spokes.
    Yeah I checked those out, I dont think i'd want to test them out just yet, id probably want to ride a bike using them before I put down that much money.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dirty B View Post
    DT Swiss XM 1501

Yeah i was looking at those for my beater wheelset. have a tough heavier wheelset with burly casing tires and inserts, and a light carbon wheelset with light tires.

It'd be nice to be able to swap both between my two bikes easily, both are boost, same eagle cassette. im guessing it'd take adjusting the derailleur each time I swap though.