Need some new 26 inch tires , need some help.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Need some new 26 inch tires , need some help.

hey guys,
    I got a gash in my Specialized Roll X tires which are my favorite tires I have used to date. They lasted about 3 or 4 years now. Last weekend I went for a ride and right as I was pulling into the parking lot , BAM back tire got slashed by something like glass. Back tire went down as I rolled up to my truck.
    I inspected the tire and saw the gash right in the treads. OK they are old tires , time for some fresh sneakers.

Problem was when I started calling around to all my favorite bike shops , no one including the shop had a fresh pair in stock. That sucks as I wanted to go riding this morning. So Yesterday I found a single 26 x 2.0 Bontrager LT3 tire in stock at Guys Bikes. OK not really exactly the tire I was looking for as I first off I wanted a pair and 2nd it's a light duty dirt trail tire that after I purchased it , read some bad reviews.

Ok no sweat , I'm gonna canal path ride this morning after breakfast and my coffee so no single track stuff for me. No worries as the tire will get the job done for now. I replaced the rim band with the cloth stick tape instead of a rubber band , new tube and cleaned the inside of the rim before install.

So I paid $35 for a new tire , tube and band , cheap if you ask me and a except able so I can ride today.

All right I learned Specialized don't make the Roll X tire anymore. I'll go forward and lay down what I need out of a tire and hopefully one of you can steer me into a new quality tire.
    I need a tire that is 26 x 1.95 or 2.0. I don't like a wider tire as I have tried tires up to 2.35 and found them to slow me down and grip to much. I gave up on riding in the mud and rain but once in a great while I'll get caught in the rain. I also only go downhill riding maybe once every few years so I don't need a killer griping tire for that purpose. What I do is single track at speeds averaging at 12 to 14 mph, Average is 8 to 12 miles. Hard back and concrete mix at a park which is hard pack with some nice hills to climb,Average miles is 12-24 miles and many times canal path which is completely flat but I'll do some distance there up to 30 miles. Average ride there is 12-20 miles.

So I like a tire that grips well in dry dirt yet can go fast on the canal path without slow down. I have owned tires that when you stop peddling , you start slowing down quickly. The Rollx by Specialized where basically perfect , they had a awesome mix of being able to do anything I wanted without the wish of a different set of tires. Even in wet conditions and loose dirt , they held very well and kept a excellent pace.

So I'm looking for a good replacement. I don't however care to deal with tubeless tires unless it's absolutely the way to go. I'm perfectly fine staying old school in tubes.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No One got any suggestions on some new rubbers?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The following tires would be worth your consideration: WTB nano, Maxxis Larsen TT, Hutchinson Python, or Continental Race King. If you like Specialized tires they make some 2.0 versions you could try.

Save Jesus
    Hey, I have an old Roll X tire laying around, which I don't use because it is not tubeless compatible. I think mine is the Pro version.

The specialized equivalent is the Fast Track (slightly faster) or Ground Control (slightly more grip). But even the Ground Control rolls really well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    Hey, I have an old Roll X tire laying around, which I don't use because it is not tubeless compatible. I think mine is the Pro version.

The specialized equivalent is the Fast Track (slightly faster) or Ground Control (slightly more grip). But even the Ground Control rolls really well.
    Is the tire in good shape? I like them and wouldn't mind another one. Willing to part with it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well I went riding yesterday and it rained the night before. The trails where still pretty wet but not bad. Puddles here and there and I got pretty dirty from splashes and constantly mud flying up from the tires.
    A few small hills up and down riding , nothing serious and I discovered these new Bontrager LT3 tires are not as bad as the reviews stated.
    I Inflated to 48PSI which is a bit lighter then my usual 50-52PSI. I like my tires a bit harder for faster rolling. I use to really like 45PSI until my road friend told me to go higher and see how I liked it. I never went higher then 55PSI as at that kind of pressure around turns seems to get a bit slippery. so the 48-52 area works well for me.

The tire is just a tad bit smaller then the Roll x from Specialized at the exact same size. It looks like a 1.95 tire light instead of a 2.0. But I must say I'm quite pleased with it's roll. I noticed even in wet conditions I was maintaining a higher speed easier then when I had 2 Roll X tires front and back. These LT3 tires are a good quality tire and hold the path well. I even tried to get then to slide out from under me with heavy pedaling and kicking the back end out. They stuck very well.
    Even in corners they felt sturdy and safe.

I think for the money this is an excellent tire. Can't even start to complain at $24.99 a tire. If I remember correctly, my Roll X tires where $39.99-$49.99 a piece. I'm not a muddy condition loose sand or even much leave issue rider anymore. I don't jump ramps, logs and do any crazy stuff I like did years ago. I don't need to get hurt while riding. Not worth the thrill anymore. I just enjoy a solid hard ride that I feel I burned off a few calories and enjoyed myself.

I do however like the combo of running 2 different tires, a first for me. I always have purchased 2 of the same and ran my bike that way. This gives the bike a different feeling. When I purchased the bike new, it had a 1.95 in the rear and a 2.1 in the front. I got away from that setup as well as I have been either running 2 2.1's, 2 2.0's or once I ran 2 1.95's which I felt was a bit thin on the front and lost a bit of steering ability.

What do you guys think about running 2 different sizes and brands?

mtbr member
    The Panaracer Fire XC has served me well for that usage for years. Just got a set the other day for mine, though the tubeless version is not nearly so available as it used to be so I settled for tube type this time around. Still a solid performer without being fat or draggy.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Save Jesus
    This is like circa early 2000's.

Specialized Roll X
    Panaracer Fire XC
    skinny tires at 50 psi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    This is like circa early 2000's.

Specialized Roll X
    Panaracer Fire XC
    skinny tires at 50 psi
    Yep. And that one reply about too much grip?

There are grippy tires today that also roll well. Ten or more years ago tires did not grip and also roll fast, but many of them do it today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Yep. And that one reply about too much grip?

There are grippy tires today that also roll well. Ten or more years ago tires did not grip and also roll fast, but many of them do it today.
    I had some bad advise from Bike stores in the past selling me tires that performed in muddy conditions but where not versatile for the kind of riding I do. They where extremely slow IMO compared to others I owned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm gonna pick up a set of Fast Tracks by Specialized as they seem to be the right tire for my riding style and are an improvement over my favorite tires to date in the Roll X model.
    Thanks guys for all the tips.

mtbr member
    My wife's back has a Fast Trak rear tire and it is excellent. I haven't used one on the front, but I know Specialized's XC race team does so that bodes well.