mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Need some input on rims for a handbuilt wheelset

So I want to build a new wheelset. Would love to get them built by one of my LBSs, but there is no way anyone could touch the prices from Colorado Cyclist. I plan on going with the Hope/Stan's Arch combo. I read the new new Arch rims are pretty shallow and may be a little soft. Anyone have experience with these or the DT Swiss 471 or Race Face ARC 27's? I weigh 170-175, ride a Giant Anthem in Southern CA. Mostly keep rubber side down.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/hope...ex-471-rims-29
    https://www.coloradocyclist.com/hope...3-arch-rims-29

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    I dont like stans rims. I dont like the half-tubeless non standard setup, or their QC/quality inconsistency, or really anything about the whole brand. I don't feel they provide a quality product, and I don't like being limited to using certain tires due to compatibility. No thanks!

DT swiss, however, makes amazing high quality rims. I'm 210lb currently and beating up on an arc 24/27 combo and I'm quite happy with them, but its only been half a season.

I just went with pro4's for my build. Love them! Id just recommend using any of the tons of other good options that arent stans.

mtbr member
    I'm going to go contrary to One's experience. That said, my history is with Stan's Flow rims.

I've trashed DT Swiss rims, including the 471. I have always felt they were softer than most other rims. I also think they are too narrow for today's tires. Ditto for the new Arch MKlll.

I've abused various Stan's rims in Arizona and Utah fort a long time and they are still my rim of choice. That said, I'd go with the Flow MKlll at your weight. About 50 grams heavier than the Arch, but you get a wider rim and good durability. You can also run tires from 2.3 up to 3.0 on them.

I weigh 175 and a lot of my riding is on a rigid 29 SS.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I built up a set of DT Swiss XM 421's that have been flawless for trail use. I was originally planning on building Arch MK3's but heard there were some tensioning issues on more than a few builds. I will add by most modern trends both the Stan's & DT Swiss are narrower but my XM 421's are fine for 2.35 tires.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    I'm going to go contrary to One's experience. That said, my history is with Stan's Flow rims.

I've trashed DT Swiss rims, including the 471. I have always felt they were softer than most other rims. I also think they are too narrow for today's tires. Ditto for the new Arch MKlll.

I've abused various Stan's rims in Arizona and Utah fort a long time and they are still my rim of choice. That said, I'd go with the Flow MKlll at your weight. About 50 grams heavier than the Arch, but you get a wider rim and good durability. You can also run tires from 2.3 up to 3.0 on them.

I weigh 175 and a lot of my riding is on a rigid 29 SS.
    I agree with this. Stans engineering is suspect and they made "light" rims by simply using less metal than the other brands at the times, causing their rims to also be crazy noodly. Add to that the hub issues and IMO there isn't much besides starting the tubeless momentum that they bring to the table. DT Swiss on the other hand, that's what they do. They know that game.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I got a set of hope pro4/ex471 wheels from Colorado cyclist with a bike build last fall and Iíve been happy with them. No issues at all, Iím about 230 geared up. Iíve never heard dt Swiss rims referred to as soft before. If you poke around YouTube Aaron gwin did most of a World Cup downhill run on a bare rim after he flatted early in the race. The rim was an ex471. Edit: here. https://youtu.be/PUoCSzVmhhQ
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

damned rocks...
    I have a set of Flows MK3 laced to DT hubs:
    They are light, my set came even lighter than advertised, only a gram or two above 500g. Laterally they have ok lateral stiffness, but they lack vertical stiffness, first time I rode them the spokes lost too much tension and I had to retension both of them again, and had to go up in tension.
    I don't have a problem set them tubeless and they hold air perfectly.
    The walls are probably too thin, and easily damaged, or I just had bad luck.
    Next time I will probably go with a DT rim, or other brand, as I am not that impressed with the Stan's rims in the long term.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Barely in control
    DT over Stans for aluminum, always.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Easton Arc 24s (28 hole 3X double butted spokes with Al nipples) with 2.2-2.35" width tubeless tires on 130 mm travel trail bike for 2 seasons ridden at 165 lbs without any dents or other deformations. I built them myself and used nipple washers which add a bit of weight but align the spokes and reduce drastically the stress around the spoke holes in the rim.

mtbr member
    Whatever to choose, just buy them quick before the industry decides that round ones are no longer fashionable.

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    DT over Stans for aluminum, always.
    I agree with this. I have killed every Stans rim I have ever had in short order. Will not use them any longer. I have a DT Swiss 1501 set that has been bomb proof
    How can this mean anything to me, if I really don't feel anything at all. I'll keep digging, till I feel something.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Whatever to choose, just buy them quick before the industry decides that round ones are no longer fashionable.
    Haha! Indeed! Thank you everyone for the input!

Nothing seems to kill me
    I would like some oval wheels to match my chainring, please.
    How can this mean anything to me, if I really don't feel anything at all. I'll keep digging, till I feel something.

turtles make me hot
    Has anyone seen the new Mark 3 Stan's rims? I just built a set of Flows for a guy and I thought they were way nicer than the last series of rims by them. Might be worth a look.
    I've also built about six sets of wheels with Race Face Arc 40s and the guys that got those are all very happy with them. I just got a set for my son.
    Another brand I gravitate to is Velocity but their tubeless doesn't work with every tire. I've had good luck with all but one.
    Hopes are good hubs. Good double butted spoke and you should have some killer wheels.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Need some input on rims for a handbuilt wheelset

Damn it just ordered a set of flows and hope 4s from cycle wheels usa.

Pricing was really good and comparable to CC and Daveís customer communication is superb. Hope the wheels hold up. Im not really that rad more like semi-rad. Probably be fine.

I guess if they arent will get some DTs next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turtles make me hot
    Are they the new Mark 3 Flows? I'm tellin' ya. They're nice.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    OK... I just looked at the link in the OP's first post. WHY in the name of Zeus' butthole are the Arch rims differentiated front and rear? Empty rims. Anyone?
    I like turtles

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by kingaucho View Post
    So I want to build a new wheelset. Would love to get them built by one of my LBSs, but there is no way anyone could touch the prices from Colorado Cyclist. I plan on going with the Hope/Stan's Arch combo. I read the new new Arch rims are pretty shallow and may be a little soft. Anyone have experience with these or the DT Swiss 471 or Race Face ARC 27's? I weigh 170-175, ride a Giant Anthem in Southern CA. Mostly keep rubber side down.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/hope...ex-471-rims-29
    https://www.coloradocyclist.com/hope...3-arch-rims-29

Thanks in advance!
    I've ridden both Stan's and DTs for a long time. If you pick the right rim for the job and have it built up properly I'd wager you will good to go with either. Both have been thoroughly punished and all have held up just fine. I have ridden far more miles on Stan's rims than DTs and never had an issue.

Tubeless... I usually run Maxxis but also will run Specialized and Schwalbe tires. These all set up incredibly easily and perfectly on Stan's. Of all rims I've ever owned, Stan's has been the easiest to set up tubeless tire on - assuming you use beads that play well with the rim.

For a given size rim, the last time I checked, DTs come in heavier than Stan's, and maybe that is one reason I often heard they perform better than Stan's. So, if I have zero issues with Stan's not sure why I'd want to pay more for more weight I don't need (at my size).

DT EX471s are a very burly rim, for their internal width. The last I check they were i25. That is relatively narrow compared to the Flow. Did you see Aaron Gwin run that bare rim down a DH course? That is the rim that came stock on my DH Giant Glory. It is a heavy duty Enduro, or light weight DH rim. I am shocked at how mine have held up. Unless you are over 200# I'd say those rims are overkill for trail riding.

MK3 Flows... I've run Flows on my bikes for years with zero issues. At my 175# for AM riding I think their width and weight hit a sweet spot. Previously I had run the original Flow, then the EX, and now just started riding the MK3. If you are riding only xc style, then the Arch MK3 IMO would likely be fine.

Anyway, I'd say either rim will work well for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    Which size of oval?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Are they the new Mark 3 Flows? I'm tellin' ya. They're nice.
    Yeah the MK3s ok im not scared now. They did come recommended.

Also cant say enough about Cycle Wheels USA for top notch customer service.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Which size of oval?
    If were lucky like a 28.25 would be rad. Ordering spokes would be lots of fun...

Nothing seems to kill me
    Which size of oval?
    27.5 x 28.25, of course

mtbpete
    I like the Flow MK3's or DT Swiss XM 481.

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    Dedicated pump track bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I recently had CC (local to me) build up a set of DT350s with Spanky Oozy 350 rims. It is an excellent wheelset.

I cannot fathom why Spank is left out of conversations like this, they are one of the most underrated and under represented brands out there. They make top-notch stuff at competitive prices and their metallurgy and extrusion knowledge is second to none. They also own their own production facility as well as ghost build for others.

With that said, I have a set of DT Swiss built E1700s, and they are excellent also, thought not quite at Spank level.

mtbr member
    I built a set of 295s for a friend, and I agree with badgerone. They're some of the nicest rims I've worked with. Quality overall was top notch. Durability has been great, weight was good/competitive.

They look cool too. They deserve a spot in any aluminum rim conversation!