Need new tires, for gnarly often wet trails with 10foot drops.- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Need new tires, for gnarly often wet trails with 10foot drops.

I'm currently abusing the ridiculos Conti Diesel at the front and some cheap 1.95 tire at the back. A awful combination, the Diesel is suicidal on anything wet.

So, I need new tires that will stand 10foot drops (That's a extreme, I've done no more than 7 foot drops yet) on my hardtail and also work when going up usually the gnarly wet rocky rooty trails here in Norway. I've done some research and found some contestors. The only problem is frame clerance, only 60mm :| at the rear.
    I -DID- manage to fit a Conti Diesel, but with almost no clearance. So therefore I'll try to find something >60mm. But then again, I do want the most volume possible and not terribly weak sidewalls, and It'd be good if it didn't weigh more 1kg.

Rear:
    Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35 (Thin sidewalls?)
    Panaracer Cinder 2.25 (Seems like a perfect tire for the conditions here, but might be a little too weak?)
    Panaracer Fire DH pro 2.3 (Will be a tight fit...)
    Nokian NBX 2.3
    Kenda Nevegal 2.1

Front, here I have alot of clerance :
    Panaracer Fire FR pro 2.4 (Looks like a fun tire, lotsa volume and nice knobs).
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 or bluegroove 2.5
    And probably some more...
    Last edited by Johan; 06-19-2004 at 10:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    After a couple rides on my HT playbike with Blue Groove 2.5 (folding) front, Nevegal 2.5 (24" DH) rear, I'm definitly very happy so far. Last ride the trails were muddy (after a rainfall) and both tires *do* pack with mud, but I was amazed how well they handled rooty singletrack while covered in mud, with no major incident (like body/tree contact). It helped that I was running ~24psi f/r, which I might not risk on the back of a HT if it wasn't the DH casing. The BG tracks and brakes well and I like it on the front, the Nevegal's paddles make for good climbing/braking traction on the rear (even in mud). For a lot of steep, loose downhills the Nevegal should give better braking than the BG on the front, but for most of my conditions, the BG is great.

My vote would be:
    Front - BG or Nevegal 2.35 or 2.5
    Rear - Nevegal or NBX 2.1 or 2.3 whichever fits your frame
    Last edited by fsrxc; 06-19-2004 at 03:08 PM.

Mar 2004
    I'd love to run the Nevegal 2.35 on the rear, but I truly don't have the clearance. How does the 2.1 Nevegal compare to the 2.35?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    I'd love to run the Nevegal 2.35 on the rear, but I truly don't have the clearance. How does the 2.1 Nevegal compare to the 2.35?
    I can't say, but Shiggy's website lists those sizes I think.

Board n00b
    Conti tires are suicidal in the wet. I can't believe what many people's idea of a good tire is.

I have used both Kenda's Cap Ply Blue Groove 2.5 and Nevegal 2.5 with great results here in Vancouver, but in the end there is no other tire like the Michelin Comp16(2.5/2.2) for nasty conditions.

My present combo is a Comp16 2.5 front(reversed tire direction) and a 2.5 Nevegal rear. I'm 215lbs with gear and run 20-24 psi front and 22-28 psi rear. Wicked traction to say the least!

Mar 2004
    I could just be clever and go for a Comp16 2.2 at the rear, and one of the other lighter "FR" tires on the front. I say no all contis are as suicidal as Diesel, it's worst.

Front, Bluegroove 2.5, Fire Fr pro?