Need Input On Selecting Wet Weather Tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need Input On Selecting Wet Weather Tires

I was looking for some help or some input on tire selection. I am looking for new tires for my Trek 6500, which will be mostly used on bike path, street and very little dirt, with wet weather being a big concern. I live in the valley and there is a lot of fog during the winter months. Last year I blew my knee out when going around a corner in the rain, so of course I am a little concerned about corning in wet weather. The tires that I have been looking at are the new Maxxis Hookworm, Hutchinson Python New Generation Tire, and Maxxis Holy Roller. But I am open to any and all suggestions…..Thanks in advance!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Knobbies and wet pavement are not a good combo.

Neither are slicks and wet trails.

In any case wet weather riding requires more care be taken.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Yeah, but can anybody recommend a good tire for these kinds of conditions? And if I hit any dirt at all on my normal ride, it is just going through a small patch were there is construction or something like that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Bontrager makes a tire they call.....

the Invert. They come in 700c and 26", the 26's are available in up to 2.0. The tire is a cross between a full on road tire and a cruiser type tire. They have a more aggressive tread than a standard road or cruiser tire, but are still street oriented and no where near as aggressive as a knobby tire. The tread is realatively deep and channels water well to help maintain traction in wet conditions. They work quite well on wet pavement and provide better traction than a straight up road tire or a knobby or slick mountain tire for wet. I don't know of any online retailers that carry them, so you'd probably have to track down a local Trek dealer to find them. They are normally speced on some of Treks comfort bikes in 26" and some of their fitness bikes in 700c. They don't do real well in dirt but from what you describe they'd work fine as long as you slow down and mind the turns. But you still need to use extreme caution in wet conditions. While they do probvide better traction for the wet, they'll still slide out if you got to aggressive with em. I've used them as a summer commuter tire. They wear well, roll fast and provide that little extra margin for those summer showers.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Quote Originally Posted by thesuperone
    Yeah, but can anybody recommend a good tire for these kinds of conditions? And if I hit any dirt at all on my normal ride, it is just going through a small patch were there is construction or something like that.
    There are any number of touring/trekking tires on the market with road treads. Most are fine for what you want.

No tire will grip any better or worse on the wet paint stripes, metal manhole covers, oil spots and such that are slick when wet. A too-knobby tread can be an issue on simple wet pavement.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm running this tire on the back of my commuter bike, and it's been pretty decent on wet, snowy and even a bit icy roads/paths. Also works ok on a grass hill path I use.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1163794524978

As Shiggy said though, certain conditions always require caution so don't trust any tires "too much".

Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    I'm running this tire on the back of my commuter bike, and it's been pretty decent on wet, snowy and even a bit icy roads/paths. Also works ok on a grass hill path I use.

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...=1163794524978

As Shiggy said though, certain conditions always require caution so don't trust any tires "too much".
    I was thinking of something more like the Schwalbe Marathon XR

Or one of the Panaracer "urban" tires
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Hey guys.....thanks for your input. I will look into these tires! Shiggy, that Schwalbe Marathon XR Tire looks interesting, I have never heard of those tires before.

I Love my Rize

Try these out

Decent tire and the price is right. They are tough as nails and can do MILD off road and at 2.0 size I think they are superior than the skinny tires.

http://www.serfas.com/tires/CTR-15.shtml

I Love my Rize
    double post
    Last edited by danoalb; 11-19-2006 at 09:11 AM. Reason: double post

Members who have read this thread: 0