Need help on new tires - FL riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Need help on new tires - FL riding

Looking to replace my current stock tires on my Trek Fuel EX 8:
    Bontrager XR4 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Inner Strength sidewalls, 120tpi, aramid bead, 29x2.40˝

I live in FL so the conditions are mostly dry/sandy as I need low rolling resistance tires. Was originally thinking Maxxis Minion DHR II but those might be a heavy and unnecessary.
    I heard maybe Forekaster in the rear and Maxxis Rekon in the front.
    Or maybe Bontrager XR2 in the rear.

Anyone have any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm in FL and have settled on a Rekon 2.6" front, and XR2 2.6" rear for the past year or so. If you can't fit a 2.6" rear (if it's a newer EX 8 you should be able to), the 2.35" XR2 is still a high volume fast rolling tire. Very fast rolling combo that provides plenty of grip for the speeds we ride at. Anything like a Minion is way overkill for us.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Moving soon but for SWFL over the last year I've run a 2.3 DHF on the front and 2.35 Ikon on the rear with good results. I like that combo pretty much anywhere unless it's wet then the Ikon isn't enough under braking. Outside of that I can't think of a much better rolling tire on the rear than an Ikon and the DHF is great anywhere on the front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've run a combo of Ardent front/Forekaster rear, and it's been good so far. I run Rekons on my other bike and those roll decently fast with more grip than the combo. Forekasters roll fast but suffer when cornering in sand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Why are there so many tires that look exactly the same on WorldWideCyclery?

Maxxis Rekon 1
    Rekon 2

Same for Ardent tires
    Ardent 1
    Ardent 2
    Ardent 3

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    In NE FL. We really have a mixed bag of trail conditions here. I mostly ride my 2.8 tire hard tail and have had a really good time with some WTB Rangers, in the light / high grip compound. They are much better than I thought they'd be (by appearance) and grip on anything except leaves. Maybe an option if you like a little faster rolling tire.
    That said, my go to is DHFs front and rear. There's nothing quite like them IMO. I don't mind a slower rolling tire however.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'm in Central Florida, a Santos local, and ride a 2.6" Rekon on the front and 2.35" Ikon in the rear. Love the combo. I'm 155lbs in gear and run 18/19psi in the front and 22/23psi in the rear. The popular DHF/DHR combo is, IMO, a bit too aggressive for most Florida riding and too slow rolling.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple
    2018 Specialized Pitch Comp

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    XR3 front XR2 rear is a good combo from the Bontrager catalogue. I'm partial to Vittorias, Mezcal rolls a little faster than the Barzo but both are great for FL. Raced every course in the state series on Vittorias (except Tom Brown), no complaints.

Minions are overkill for FL, wrong kind of dirt and not enough DH speed to engage those big knobs. Shorter knob XC tires actually have more grip because there's more surface area and effective edges touching the trail without knob squirm. YMMV.
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm in NE Florida and run a XR4 front and XR3 rear. Love the combo for FL. XR3/2 is great too. I haven't gone back to Maxxis since switching to the XR's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Vittoria Barzo in the front and Saguaro in the rear. TNT carcass set up tubeless on 24 mm internal width rims. These work well in most terrain in FL and are fast rolling and are relatively light.
    The Goma is much more aggressive tread if needed but I only run those in the Rockies for the braking improvement. With the Gomas I run a 2.4" wide mounted on a 27 mm wide rim in the front and a 2.25" wide in the rear on a 24 mm wide rim.