Need a good Al-round Tire- Mtbr.com

May 2009

Need a good Al-round Tire

For a while now I have been changing tires for every ride as I do and Urban during the week and an offroad on the weekends. By now I can't feel my fingers anymore from all the tire changing.

I rode SpeedKings so far (front and back) and these tires are fast rolling, little resistance, and do great wether you are on Yellow or Black Diamond Trails. Best Off-Road tire i've ridden yet. However, these Conti SKs wear to almost nothing within 250-300 miles on my Urban Rides and it's getting a bit too expensive. I even tried the cheap wire bead versions as i thought it may wear slower. So, Now I dropped a Maxxis Holy Roller on the rear (26x2.4 60a compound) and it works great on road and is good enough off road. I'm afraid to put a holy roller on the front as i don't think it will give me any sideway traction on the trails.

Is there anything else in 2.3-2.4 width that anyone could recommend that is decent off-road and good wearing for my Urban rides?

I'm not a racer. I don't care about tire weight. I just want to be able to take my bike to an urban or to a nice blue or red trail and not have to worry about changing tires again, and again...

Thanks in advance...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dn75
    For a while now I have been changing tires for every ride as I do and Urban during the week and an offroad on the weekends. By now I can't feel my fingers anymore from all the tire changing.

I rode SpeedKings so far (front and back) and these tires are fast rolling, little resistance, and do great wether you are on Yellow or Black Diamond Trails. Best Off-Road tire i've ridden yet. However, these Conti SKs wear to almost nothing within 250-300 miles on my Urban Rides and it's getting a bit too expensive. I even tried the cheap wire bead versions as i thought it may wear slower. So, Now I dropped a Maxxis Holy Roller on the rear (26x2.4 60a compound) and it works great on road and is good enough off road. I'm afraid to put a holy roller on the front as i don't think it will give me any sideway traction on the trails.

Is there anything else in 2.3-2.4 width that anyone could recommend that is decent off-road and good wearing for my Urban rides?

I'm not a racer. I don't care about tire weight. I just want to be able to take my bike to an urban or to a nice blue or red trail and not have to worry about changing tires again, and again...

Thanks in advance...
    I would have suggested the Holly Roller or similar. Any full knobby will wear quickly and/or have poor traction on pavement.

At worst, you are now down to changing one tire.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

May 2009
    Yeah, the poor traction i'm concerned about. I read up on the Larsen TT (also from Maxxis) and it seems to be what I'm maybe looking for. It comes in 40 and 60 durometer, i guess I go with the 60 which I think (if I'm not wrong) is the harder compound. If i can get 800-1000 miles out of my front I'll be happy.

The tire on the front last almost twice as long as my rear tire, but the SpeedKings just wore down to a slick after 250 miles in the rear. The Holy Roller in the rear already has around 150 miles on them and it looks just like new still, which is a good sign.

How many miles do your tires last, on average...? maybe 250-500 miles is normal?

Yeah, the poor traction i'm concerned about. I read up on the Larsen TT (also from Maxxis) and it seems to be what I'm maybe looking for. It comes in 40 and 60 durometer, i guess I go with the 60 which I think (if I'm not wrong) is the harder compound. If i can get 800-1000 miles out of my front I'll be happy.

The tire on the front last almost twice as long as my rear tire, but the SpeedKings just wore down to a slick after 250 miles in the rear. The Holy Roller in the rear already has around 150 miles on them and it looks just like new still, which is a good sign.

How many miles do your tires last, on average...? maybe 250-500 miles is normal?
    My mtb tires rarely see more than a few miles of pavement a week and that is pretty gentle (no hard cornering, sliding, wall rides...).

I think you should try the Holly Roller on the front. In the dry it should be pretty good on dirt and vastly better than the TT on pavement. It is the sharp edges of the tread that give grip on dirt. Pavement is very good at rounding them off. Smallish blocks and open tread increase the wear rate.

I am testing the WTB Graffiti UK as a combo street/trail tire (I do not consider this use as "all-rounder" as the needs are too different). Way too soon to comment on wear. Street traction is great. Trail is OK as long as it is not gloppy.

The issues on dirt is not the cornering traction, though. They corner well. But the on-center feedback is lacking making it difficult to feel how much traction you have. Fast but a bit unnerving as the tracking is vague.
    mtbtires.com

May 2009
    Yeah, the WTB Graffiti UK looks like a very nice tire. Let me know what you think about them in a few weeks. I'm going through every tire in Jensons lineup right now to see what I might try.

I'm very happy with the Holy Roller in the back...

Yeah, the WTB Graffiti UK looks like a very nice tire. Let me know what you think about them in a few weeks. I'm going through every tire in Jensons lineup right now to see what I might try.

I'm very happy with the Holy Roller in the back...
    It will take more than a few weeks to make more of a judgement.
    mtbtires.com

May 2009
    I guess I'll just get another Holy Roller and take my SpeedKing with me just in case, still if you remember, let me know what you think as that design looks very promising for both on and off road.

The one tire that I think can fit the bill perfectly doesn't come in 26"...

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Trials...y-Crawler.aspx

May 2009
    I found another one that might be a closer match to what I might be looking for: The Specialized Rhythm:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=41812

Looks like a holy roller to me but maybe with a bit more grip..

I found another one that might be a closer match to what I might be looking for: The Specialized Rhythm:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=41812

Looks like a holy roller to me but maybe with a bit more grip..
    The Rhythm, Holly Roller, Graffiti, and Kenda K-Rad are all "street/dirt jump" tires and designed to perform similarly.

The CreapyCrawly is a trials tire. Soft, grippy, slow rolling and fast wearing.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You didn't mention if budget is an issue, but for dual-duty it can really help to have two sets of wheels, a lot easier on the hands to swap out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What about the Serfas Drifter?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    You didn't mention if budget is an issue, but for dual-duty it can really help to have two sets of wheels, a lot easier on the hands to swap out.

I was going to suggest another bike

One is never enough .

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 9GUY9
    I was going to suggest another bike

One is never enough .
    Good point. More than one wheelset for more than one bike is good too.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

May 2009
    Yeah, i'll probably get another bike, but i still need a good alround tire. What about those rides where we got 10 miles to the trail, hit the trail for around 15-20 miles and then bike home again. Like I said the Speedkings are the best offroad tires I've ridden on so far but on the road they wear so fast you can actually watch them wear down to a knob.

I'm very happy with the Holy Roller on the back. I might just haul a second front tire around with me, the problem is the Holy Roller is non folding so I can't get another of those... I might try the Captain from Specialized and see how long I can get with that one.

mtbr member
    What about those rides where we got 10 miles to the trail, hit the trail for around 15-20 miles and then bike home again.
    I was thinking about this sort of situation the other day. If I were often placed in this predicament, I think this is what I'd do:

-Purchase a bike rack that clamps onto my seatpost. I'd most likely modify it with a quick release clamp and to better hold 2nd purchase.

-Purchase a second rear wheel, slick tire, cassette, and cable lock.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

just along for the ride
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    What about the Serfas Drifter?
    Its out of production, but was a good tire, ran one on the road/beach bike, a 2.0 also hardpack.

just along for the ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell
    I was thinking about this sort of situation the other day. If I were often placed in this predicament, I think this is what I'd do:

-Purchase a bike rack that clamps onto my seatpost. I'd most likely modify it with a quick release clamp and to better hold 2nd purchase.

When I have to do both I run a harder compound tire with loads of knobbies. There tires like that out there. WTB SB8, Hurch Python, Larson TT, crossmark.... and pump em up to 50 PSI for the road, then drop it to trail pressure when you get there. Its a compromise but its better than hauling another wheel

Quote Originally Posted by bholwell

I like it, though I have done that sort of ride with different start and end points for the trail part.

My "solution' ha been to accept that I have to compromise. I either use a tire that is a decent roller on pavement and have to be careful on the trail (which can be fun, if scary at times), or tires that work well on the trail and are harder work on the road (knowing I have to be more careful on paved corners and they will wear out quickly).

The dirt jump tires are still the "best" combo.
    mtbtires.com

May 2009
    I think I found my Poison; The Maxxis High Roller SS... Diamond in the middle, big knobs on the side. For Hardpack should be good enough...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    REI carries the Serfas Drifters here. I like them, used them last summer for street/trails, no problems. Wife has them now on her Stumpjumper and likes em too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My tires go on the road and dirt as well. The Kenda Dred Tread 2.1 is a decent all around tire that rolls and wears well IMO. I run them front and rear with no problem. Size wise they are a little bigger than 2.1 so they should be comparable in size to what you are looking for.

Members who have read this thread: 0