Is my wobbling tire good or toast?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Is my wobbling tire good or toast?

I washed out the front end the other day and the tire, a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3 developed a wobble which remained after truing the rim and completely removing and re-installing the tire. Esteemed and knowledgeable members, I ask you if the tire is OK to ride or if it should be replaced? Thanks!

51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Instagram: _parkmeister

mtbr member
    Some of the bead strands are probably broken. I'd replace it.

Trail Gnome
    Warranty that shit!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Warranty that shit!
    bought the tire last season, has been fine until last week when i dumped the front end. it's definitely crash damage, so it's on me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Some of the bead strands are probably broken. I'd replace it.
    i think the bead is fine and casing separation is the issue. i'm a cheap bastard and would keep riding on it if the risk of catastrophic failure are extremely low. thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I would replace it but I guess you could ride it if you didn't find the vibration annoying and/or weren't worried about it assisting you in crashing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by parkmeister View Post
    I'm a cheap bastard and would keep riding on it...
    But then, there is your avatar.

mtbr member
    If it's on the rear, I wouldn't worry about it, if it's on the front, I'd be concerned. If right now it's on the front, swap or keep it as a rear Curious if you tried pumping it up to max PSI to see if that helped "straighten" it back any? I've done this in the past and it has helped sometimes, but still would run as a rear, because as said, casing is probably well damaged.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Cycologist
    I had a tire with a wobble in the casing, though nowhere near that bad. Then one ride it got a lot worse, more like yours. I replaced it. So what I'm saying is, it very well may get worse and I'm not sure I would want to be riding it when that happened. I'd buy a new tire. I'm also, uh, thrifty.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

mtbr member
    I had this happen to my front DHF EXO 2.5 (27.5). Landed hard on a hit and felt/heard a rub on my fender. I thought I bent rim but after investigating it was tire. Reseated, pressed it up and down a few times and it improved a bit but always had a pretty good wobble.

I ran it for a few months with no issues and recently replaced due to normal wear. I inspected internals when it was replaced and could not see anything obvious. I'm mostly tight/tech XC type New England singletrack so I decided to chance it and see how it went. If I was rolling lots of fast downhills I may have reconsidered.

Only you can determine if you're comfortable living with it. This is similar to plugging a nail hole in a motorcycle tire...if you're constantly thinking about it failing and causing a crash then it's probably best to replace.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    I had this happen to a car tyre once. You could hardly see the deviation but you could feel it. Took me ages to identify it, at first I thought it was a wheel bearing. It was the second time I'd suffered a structural issue with that brand of tyre and I haven't bought them again since.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Replace it.

I think the real question is what the hell is that conversation happening in the background of your video?!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post

i think the real question is what the hell is that conversation happening in the background of your video?!
    lmao!!
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Replace it.

I think the real question is what the hell is that conversation happening in the background of your video?!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    lol, the munchkin was watching youtube, 'l Love the Earth' music video.

mtbr member
    Thanks to all for your replies.

FYI - it's a front tire on the front wheel. from the responses here and elsewhere, i believe it's casing damage, not a bead seating issue.

i'm gonna bite the bullet replace it.

mtbr member
    FYI - it's a front tire on the front wheel.
    Yeah, if you try to run your back tyre on your front wheel the bike gets all confused and doesn't know what direction to go in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Tube or tubeless?

What temporarily works for me is to lower the pressure (careful if tubeless), adjust the tire manually, then put normal pressure again. Does not solve 100% but makes the ride less shaky.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fmendes View Post
    Tube or tubeless?

What temporarily works for me is to lower the pressure (careful if tubeless), adjust the tire manually, then put normal pressure again. Does not solve 100% but makes the ride less shaky.

I just mounted set of new tires yesterday and afterward notice decided low spots as the wheels rotate. Will deflate, try to "adjust" the low points, then re-inflate. Will let you know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Personally I ran one for quite awhile (a season+) until it developed a bubble in the tread. Then Maxxis warrantied it.

mtbr member
    Is my wobbling tire good or toast?-4f193199-d2a1-4216-a1a9-39dc122f6089.jpeg
    My new front tire is a Maxxis Minion DHR II 3C EXO 2.3. Yup, a rear tire on the front wheel.

Previously, I had run Minion DHF 2.3 tires on both front and rear cuz this setup had positive reviews on the net and saved some weight. I was unsatisfied with the DHF on the rear wheel, though, cuz the sidewalls couldnít handle load and wept sealant like crazy. So I put a DHR II DC EXO 2.3 and am happy with it.
    The DHF upfront did not have leaky sidewalls, but after that last crash damaged the sidewall and created that wobble, I didnít trust or want another DHF. I have been riding more aggressively lately and wanted a burlier tire which is why I put a rear tire on the front wheel. This setup has also received positive reviews on the webz, so Iím keeping my fingers crossed that it works. The 3C up front is a little grippier than the DC in the back. Iím expecting sweetness with this latest setup and will update the results in the coming days. Adios, amigos.

mtbr member
    The casing is the same. If you wanted a burlier casing you should have gone with EXO+ or DD.

This place needs an enema
    bought the tire last season, has been fine until last week when i dumped the front end. it's definitely crash damage, so it's on me.

Thank you for recognizing this, and not being like so many others these days.

Maxxis cult follower
    Carefully look at the line on the tire that goes around your rim. There is usually a small line about 1/2 cm on the tire from the edge of your rim. It should be at an even distance from the rim at all times. If that line dips into your rim for 6-10 inches, that's the problem; the tire isn't seated right. That's the reason for the wobble. Pump up the tire to 50-60 psi (probably 60 for a 2.3) and see if that helps. Then lower the pressure again after 1-3 days. Maybe the tire bead will snap into place, maybe not. Even if it doesn't snap it may still help to pump it up a lot. My Maxxis 2.8 still has that line dip into the rim, but after a lot of air pressure the wobble is gone enough that I can ride it normally with no issues.
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Currently have this issue on a set of Gravel tires I mounted on new rims. A low spot in one place and divergent centerline in others.

I have the same tires mounted on another bike and they are some of the most true tire's I've owned. I've deflated, broken the bead, and reseated with no improvement. Being as the tires are brand new, I'm taking them to the shop that sold them to see if they have better luck.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So, I tried reseating my tires several times. There was some impovement but still out of round and wobbling from side to side. I took the wheels & tires to the LBS where I bought the tires. The ended up replacing them. The new tires run round and true with just the slightest wobble in the front. I'm kind of glad they replaced them because last week they only had the tires in Gumwall, this week they had black.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    A funny thing is that, because I'm very heavy, I cannot run low on pressure, or these burps will happen every cornering. So a pressure that's high enough for preventing destructive burps turns out to be also high enough to avoid pinch flats. Been riding with a tube for the last few months. So far, so good.