mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Are my tires to wide for my rims?

My 2002 Specialized Enduro Pro FSR
    Psylo SL front Fox Custom rear
    Mavic X223 front & rear
    WTB WeirWolf LT "TEAM FR" 2.55 front
    WTB WeirWolf Race 26 x2.3 rear

I've recently read that the maximum tire width for the Mavic 223 is 2.3 inches. Can anyone confirm this?
    Are there any specification from Mavic regarding minimum & maximum tire pressures for this rim?

What are the pros & cons of my rim/tire combination?

I've found a chart at the link below. Does anyone have a link to a Mavic wheel recommendation/selection chart?

http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic...ucts/2_119.pdf

Thanks In Advance,
    Uni
    Last edited by Unicornz0; 02-19-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Former Bike Wrench
    The recommended maximum tire width is 2.3", maximum tires pressures are based on the rim type and tire width. Mavic recommends a max of 40psi for 2.5" tires on their XC rims. Minimum would be the pressure you pinch flat at.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    The recommended maximum tire width is 2.3", maximum tires pressures are based on the rim type and tire width. Mavic recommends a max of 40psi for 2.5" tires on their XC rims. Minimum would be the pressure you pinch flat at.
    Is there any negative consequence of ridding with wider tires and higher pressures, up to 60psi for example?

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicornz0 View Post
    Is there any negative consequence of ridding with wider tires and higher pressures, up to 60psi for example?
    Yes. Due to the pressure in a tire, the bead pulls outwards against the rim sidewalls. The bigger the tire, the greater the angle of this pull.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    Yes. Due to the pressure in a tire, the bead pulls outwards against the rim sidewalls. The bigger the tire, the greater the angle of this pull.
    Is it safe to run a larger tire with a lower air pressure? With a 2.55 inch tire, what's the maximum air pressure when coupled with a Mavic 223? With consideration to the chart linked above, I'm thinking about 42 psi max, but the chart does not reference rim width.

What do you think?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Is it safe to run a larger tire with a lower air pressure? With a 2.55 inch tire, what's the maximum air pressure when coupled with a Mavic 223? With consideration to the chart linked above, I'm thinking about 42 psi max, but the chart does not reference rim width.

What do you think?
    I would have no reason to use more than ~30psi in those tires, on any rim.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Please tell me how you learned the maximum tire width is 2.3".

Thanks In Advance,
    Uni

~Disc~Golf~
    Please tell me how you learned the maximum tire width is 2.3".

Thanks In Advance,
    Uni
    probably the same way you did? (MFR. recommendation)
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    probably the same way you did? (MFR. recommendation)
    I'm trying to find accurate information. I've read elsewhere 3.0" is the maximum tire width for this rim. I'd sure appreciate it if you will provide me with the link. I've been unable to locate it.

Thanks Again,
    Uni

I live to bike
    The x223s are fairly narrow, very similar to an XC717 in profile (notice the 559x17 marked on the rim - means inner bead width is 17mm). Mavic recommends up to a 2.1" tire on the XC717, so I would imagine it would be the same on your x223.

Having said that, you can probably run a 2.5 on the rim without any real problems. The tire just wouldn't have as nice a profile as it would on a wider rim; it will be more rounded and less flat across the top. I wouldn't recommend 60psi, but who would run that high a pressure? 35 at the max, and with those wide tires, you can probably get away with sub-30 psi.

but if you are concerned about it, sell them and get some wider rims.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    The x223s are fairly narrow, very similar to an XC717 in profile (notice the 559x17 marked on the rim - means inner bead width is 17mm). Mavic recommends up to a 2.1" tire on the XC717, so I would imagine it would be the same on your x223
    Thanks, I'll have to use the "comparative strategy". unless someone has definitive information from Mavic.

Here's more information:
    Tire vs. Rim Width

Mavic doesn't have customer service contact email or phone. So If anyone has definitive information please post.

Thanks Again,
    Uni
    Last edited by Unicornz0; 02-19-2012 at 03:16 PM.

I live to bike
    Thanks.

I've read quite the opposite here:
    Tire vs. Rim Width

Mavic doesn't have customer service contact email or phone. So If anyone has definitive information please post.

Thanks Again,
    Uni
    Not opposite. It measures 23mm wide from outside to outside of the rim. Inside is 17mm, which is also stated in the thread you linked.

Your link to the other forum suggests 2.3 may be the max recommended. At any rate, it is clear that 2.5 is outside the recommendation for the rim. However, it is only a recommendation, not a rule that you cannot run a wider tire. If it is working, and you like how it's riding, you are fine.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Not opposite. It measures 23mm wide from outside to outside of the rim. Inside is 17mm, which is also stated in the thread you linked.

Your link to the other forum suggests 2.3 may be the max recommended. At any rate, it is clear that 2.5 is outside the recommendation for the rim. However, it is only a recommendation, not a rule that you cannot run a wider tire. If it is working, and you like how it's riding, you are fine.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mavic doesn't have customer service contact email or phone.
    Mavic USA - Google Search

Mavic USA
    17 Parkridge Road
    Haverhill, MA 01835
    (978) 469-8400

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The x223s are fairly narrow, very similar to an XC717 in profile (notice the 559x17 marked on the rim - means inner bead width is 17mm). Mavic recommends up to a 2.1" tire on the XC717, so I would imagine it would be the same on your x223.

Having said that, you can probably run a 2.5 on the rim without any real problems. The tire just wouldn't have as nice a profile as it would on a wider rim; it will be more rounded and less flat across the top. I wouldn't recommend 60psi, but who would run that high a pressure? 35 at the max, and with those wide tires, you can probably get away with sub-30 psi.

but if you are concerned about it, sell them and get some wider rims.
    This is what happened when I ran a 2.5" Nevegal on a Mavic X717 Disc. Those cracks you see were present on both sides of the rim about 90% of the way around it. In addition to the rim wall failing, the spoke bed ripped lengthwise for three spoke holes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    This is what happened when I ran a 2.5" Nevegal on a Mavic X717 Disc. Those cracks you see were present on both sides of the rim about 90% of the way around it. In addition to the rim wall failing, the spoke bed ripped lengthwise for three spoke holes.
    What was the inflation pressure?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks Everyone,

Here are the tech docs from Mavic. The X223 is rated up to a maximum tire width recommendation of 2.3" tire.

I noticed the XM321 is rated to a max 2.3" also, and interestingly the EN321 with the same specs ase the XM321 has a maximum tire width recommendation of 2.5". I'm wondering why the difference in the maximum tire width recommendation for the XM321 & EN321.
    Please comment,

Thanks Again,
    Uni
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are my tires to wide for my rims?-mavic-cross-mountain-rims-size-x117-x223-xm321-xm819.jpg  

Are my tires to wide for my rims?-en-321-disc-size.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Narrow Rim + Fat tire means you have to run the tire harder than you'd really really like to on the front to stop the side walls collapsing and rotating on the rim and squirming badly.

Rear your pretty much fine, just keep below 40psi and I use 17mm rear rims with much fat tires, keeps the profile nice and round so you run down the middle which on the rear counts and keeps the bike rolling faster.

craigsj
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd View Post
    ...keeps the profile nice and round so you run down the middle which on the rear counts and keeps the bike rolling faster.
    Quite an accomplishment keeping the profile nice and round. Is there any other kind?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Will someone please explain the spoke support diameter that's on the Mavic spec sheets above?

Thanks,
    Uni

mtbr member
    I also have Mavic 223 rims and I would not run anything wider than a 26 x 2.1 tire on them. 26 x 2.3 tires beads do not hook up very well to these thin cross contry rims, which will be evident when your inflated tires are out of alignment. The 717 and the 223 both have the same profile. The 717 used a harder AL with a welded joint and the 223 uses a softer AL with a pinned joint. Buy wider rims if you rally need to run wider tires. Otherwise stick with good 26 x 2.1 tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
    I also have Mavic 223 rims and I would not run anything wider than a 26 x 2.1 tire on them. 26 x 2.3 tires beads do not hook up very well to these thin cross contry rims,...
    What do you think of the Mavic specification that recommends a tire width up to 2.3 inches wide with the X223 rim? The chart is posted above.

Attached are the specs for the Mavic XC 717. It's recommended maximum tire width is 2.1, which less than the Mavic X223.

Can anyone explain why?
    I've noticed that the Mavic X223 rim outer diameter is 23.5 x 20 vs 23.0 x 18 for the Mavic XC717. Maybe this is why the Mavic X223 can handle a wider tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are my tires to wide for my rims?-mavic-xc-717-specifications.jpg  

Last edited by Unicornz0; 03-01-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Looks like x223 has an aluminum tube running all the way around, under each rim bed. Looks pretty simple to me. That extra material would make for a stiffer design. Depending upon wall thickness i guess

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Looks like x223 has an aluminum tube running all the way around, under each rim bed. Looks pretty simple to me. That extra material would make for a stiffer design. Depending upon wall thickness i guess
    Thanks for the astute observation Hoolie. The rim design does appear to be more robust than the X717. Maybe this is what accounts for the X223's maximum recommended tire width of 2.3 inches.

Members who have read this thread: 1