My thoughts on the WTB Judge and Verdict tires.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017

My thoughts on the WTB Judge and Verdict tires.

A lot of us are die hard tire brand loyalists. Maxxis people will hardly venture out to try other brands. Whatever works, works I guess. But what if I were to tell you that venturing out will lead to a gold mine? It's not often this happens but am I glad I did.

First things first, I have the Verdict Light/High Grip 29x2.5 mounted on 30mm rims. Knob to knob, it measures close to 2.7 inches with my measuring tape. 1150 grams. The Judge 29x2.4 Tough/Fast Rolling measures just a smidge above 2.4 knob to knob with 30mm rims. 1400 grams. The Verdict is definitely oversized and very, very high volume. I was kind of afraid that the immense size would take feedback away compared to the true to size 2.5 tires I'm used to, but they don't. They are also tall. The Judge is true to size and comparatively speaking, looks puny compared to the Verdict.

Verdict

1150 grams isn't light. It's not a dual-ply so it's more comparable to single-ply 'enduro' tires and EXO+ in Maxxis speak. So you know how the Vigilante's knobs then to squish and smear when going flat out? The Verdict's don't. They maintain their form much better and don't exhibit the same traits as the Vigs. They just dig in and claw their way around. At first, I ran it with 21 psi. I found it bouncy and a little wandery. I took it down to 20 psi and boom. Perfect. Crazy how 1 psi can make such difference. It's a very aggressive tire that needs to be weighed(body position forward) to produce the best results. If you're lazy and leaning back, you're wasting rubber and not using the tire to its full potential. In flat corners(even with all the fallen leaves now), I can lean this thing over pretty deep and it wont give. I can also 'feel' it gripping. In berms, well, any tire does well in berms to be honest. It's a supported corner.

When losing grip, the sensation is similar to the DHF in that you lose grip immediately, and maybe get it back. But in the Verdict's case, grip always comes back. Braking is comparable to the Vigs. Maybe just a smidge better. As far as steering goes, it feels like a 2.5 despite its massive size. It still provides loads of feedback and the quick steering I've grown accustomed to with 2.5 and smaller tires. But I'd prefer true-to-size tires, TBH. The knobs are widely spaced so it'll shed mud and muck well. Rolling resistance, not sure. It's a front tire so it's not super noticeable compared to the rear. I notice the weight a lot more.

Judge

The Judge, I'll say is probably the best rear tire I've ever used as far as outright grip and braking goes. This thing is robust. Like it seems like it's built tougher than the other WTB Tough Casing tires. Tough Casing is like Maxxis DD. But tougher and heavier. The knobs are massive. I ran this at 24-25 psi with no changes made. No squirming and squishing with this one. And the grip they provide is phenomenal. Rolling resistance combined with the 1400 gram weight... well, you'll be riding with a gear easier than you normally would in some circumstances. Compared to the Trail Boss, the side knobs don't squirm. They're solid when cornering. Just like the Verdict, off camber and flat corners are no match. Lean the bike over, trust the tires, and watch as you take that corner faster than you normally would. Those massive side knobs just dig and shovel in to the dirt.

Climbing up tech, it'll claw its way up there as long as you're on the right gear. I've cleared some techy climbs I haven't before with the Judge. Braking is amazing. You can feel it digging in as soon as you depress the brake lever. Very confidence inspiring to say the least. When it loses grip, it does so in a very controlled manner. It'll drift ever so softly, and then ever so softly regain its grip again. Reminds me of how the Magic Mary does when it loses grip. If you can do this at will, you can tighten your line without losing speed. It's a great feeling. The knobs are tighter packed, so it won't shed muck as well as the Verdict. As far as ride quality goes, it's firm and supportive. Not at all bouncy or harsh.

Conclusion

I feel that these 2 combined offer one of the grippiest(if not the most) combinations out there. With the weight and rolling resistance, this is most definitely a gravity oriented setup. It's not for everyone. For a faster rolling setup, the Vigilante/Trail Boss or Verdict/Trail Boss is a better fit. The addition of the Judge takes it to another level. I wouldn't pair the Vig with the Judge because I feel the Judge provides more outright grip than the Vig. I prefer to run a grippier front like everyone else. I don't use inserts, nor do I ever intend to because I can just get tougher and heavier tires that provide the cut and slash protection I need. So these heavy and robust tires fill that niche.

WTB is nowhere near as big as Maxxis is. But I'm glad they're making robust, heavy duty, and competitive tires. Mountain biking's best kept secret are these. So try them out if you can handle the weight and rolling resistance.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

Out spokin'
    Thanks for the report. Sounds like you and I value similar traits in tires. Weight be damned, I want tires that I can lean on.

For a long time Magic Marys (29x2.6) were my go-to and I'm still running one on the rear. I found a half price Vigilante light (also 29x2.6) and put it on the front. Didn't like the first ride as the tire seemed slippery but then I lowered pressure by a pound and yeah, sometimes one pound makes all the difference. Now I love this combo: Vigilante front and MM rear.

Based on what you've said, I'm going to try a Verdict, maybe two (f & r). I like high volume tires. Not interested in inserts. My aluminum Guerrilla Gravity Smash weighs 36.8# with real tires and coil suspension at both ends. Whatever -- it is my heaven. I'm a big guy and I want tires that won't let me down in the leaves, moss & mud. Thanks again.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Thanks for the report. Sounds like you and I value similar traits in tires. Weight be damned, I want tires that I can lean on.

For a long time Magic Marys (29x2.6) were my go-to and I'm still running one on the rear. I found a half price Vigilante light (also 29x2.6) and put it on the front. Didn't like the first ride as the tire seemed slippery but then I lowered pressure by a pound and yeah, sometimes one pound makes all the difference. Now I love this combo: Vigilante front and MM rear.

Based on what you've said, I'm going to try a Verdict, maybe two (f & r). I like high volume tires. Not interested in inserts. My aluminum Guerrilla Gravity Smash weighs 36.8# with real tires and coil suspension at both ends. Whatever -- it is my heaven. I'm a big guy and I want tires that won't let me down in the leaves, moss & mud. Thanks again.
    =sParty
    Verdict front and rear... Sounds like quite the aggressive setup! I imagine that would do wonderfully in looser, natural trails. Careful about the rear tire clearance though. When I say they are big, I really mean that. They're BIG.

mtbr member
    Interesting review. Iíd never really considered the verdict before, but perhaps I should have.

Iím on my first WTB tire currently (Vigilante, 2.6in width, light/high grip). And so far Iím super impressed compared to my 2.3in exo DHF I had before. The vigilante measures almost 2.75in at trail pressures. And even in light casing, is way more robust than the exo dhf.

Iíve seen a few reviews mentioning the vigilante squirms. Iíve not had that experience yet, but Iím also not the hardest rider (only a little over a year of riding), so maybe I just havenít pushed it hard enough to notice its shortcomings?

Anyway, Iím interested in how you describe the verdict. The dhf I had on the front before the vigilante was really vague in corners. Sounds like the verdict is less vague? Oh, and is that the verdict wet or the normal verdict?

Also, Iíd been considering a judge for the rear of my bike. Sounds like it may be too much for my vigilante? How does the judge compare to the DHR, or the trail boss?

Dirty Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    Interesting review. Iíd never really considered the verdict before, but perhaps I should have.

Iím on my first WTB tire currently (Vigilante, 2.6in width, light/high grip). And so far Iím super impressed compared to my 2.3in exo DHF I had before. The vigilante measures almost 2.75in at trail pressures. And even in light casing, is way more robust than the exo dhf.

Iíve seen a few reviews mentioning the vigilante squirms. Iíve not had that experience yet, but Iím also not the hardest rider yet, so maybe I just havenít pushed it hard enough yet?

Anyway, Iím interested in how you describe the verdict. The dhf I had on the front before the vigilante was really vague in corners. Sounds like the verdict is less vague? Oh, and is that the verdict wet or the normal verdict?

Also, Iíd been considering a judge for the rear of my bike. Sounds like it may be too much for my vigilante? How does the judge compare to the DHR, or the trail boss?
    I'm currently running a Vigilante 2.6 "Light/High Grip + Fast Rolling" coupled with a Judge 2.4 "Tough/Fast Rolling" on a 29er and I don't think the Judge is too much for the Vigilante. I ran the Trail Boss 2.4 before and really liked the tire but it simply couldn't climb the way the Judge does. The terrain here in SoCal is loose (powder and rocks) over hardpack and I'm a rider who tends to "steer with the rear" on fast descents. I have no issues kicking the rear loose when needed and it always digs in the second I readjust the bike. A very confidence inspiring pairing, as long as you have something for the tread to dig into.
    As far as squirm is concerned, I run CushCore front and rear and tend to keep both tires just under 20lbs with no issues. I can't speak to how they would run without inserts however. I find the grip to be phenomenal with these tires and I can usually feel when the front is going to let go. On a ride last weekend I tucked the front twice while sprinting through some tight singletrack and both times it grabbed and righted itself almost instantly.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Iíve seen a few reviews mentioning the vigilante squirms. Iíve not had that experience yet, but Iím also not the hardest rider yet, so maybe I just havenít pushed it hard enough yet?

It's hard to describe. I guess the knobs on the Vigs aren't 'hard' or supported/supportive enough? I think the Vigs are pretty decent in most types of terrain, just not really great or the best at a single specific one. I was running the Vig and TB before the Verdict/Judge combo in the same compounds and casings just a day before making the switch.

I'm running the normal Verdict. Verdict Wet only comes in Tough casing. There's a lot of grip feedback with the Verdict compared to the Vigilante. Even without transition knobs, the Verdict feels better and bites harder. Well, at least for my terrain, which is quite varied. I feel that the Vigs have a 'softer' breakaway than the Verdict when you do lose grip, however.

The Judge compared to the Trail Boss is similar to the Vig and Verdict. Slower rolling, heavier, but good lord, does it grip and brake. The knobs are well supported and dig and bite just like the Verdict. I wish they made the Judge in Light/High Grip because I would also run that in the front for drier months.

I guess the Judge would be akin to a DHRII on steroids. Better grip and braking, but even slower rolling. The side knobs are pretty beefy and widely spaced so it really does dig in to the dirt. And the Verdict would be if the DHF, Magic Mary, and Vigilante had a love child. Take all the best traits of those 3, and put it in to one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by almazing View Post
    It's hard to describe. I guess the knobs on the Vigs aren't 'hard' or supported/supportive enough? I think the Vigs are pretty decent in most types of terrain, just not really great or the best at a single specific one. I was running the Vig and TB before the Verdict/Judge combo in the same compounds and casings just a day before making the switch.

I'm running the normal Verdict. Verdict Wet only comes in Tough casing. There's a lot of grip feedback with the Verdict compared to the Vigilante. Even without transition knobs, the Verdict feels better and bites harder. Well, at least for my terrain, which is quite varied. I feel that the Vigs have a 'softer' breakaway than the Verdict when you do lose grip, however.

The Judge compared to the Trail Boss is similar to the Vig and Verdict. Slower rolling, heavier, but good lord, does it grip and brake. The knobs are well supported and dig and bite just like the Verdict. I wish they made the Judge in Light/High Grip because I would also run that in the front for drier months.

I guess the Judge would be akin to a DHRII on steroids. Better grip and braking, but even slower rolling. The side knobs are pretty beefy and widely spaced so it really does dig in to the dirt. And the Verdict would be if the DHF, Magic Mary, and Vigilante had a love child. Take all the best traits of those 3, and put it in to one.
    Thanks for the feedback/insight .

Which type of terrain are you usually riding, out of curiosity?

So far I've only really ridden the 2.35in Magic Mary, the 2.3in EXO DHF, and now this light/high grip 2.6in Vigilante. So far I for sure prefer the MM over the DHF, and the Vigilante is still new enough I'm not sure how to rank it with the others. But if the Verdict is similar to those combined? Maybe I'll check it out when it comes time to replace the Vigilante (still a bit warry about loosing the transition knobs though, as I hate the weird transition zone on the DHF).

The Judge sounds great. How wide does it measure at trail pressure on a i29/30mm-ish rim? My Kona only has clearance for 2.4's... barely... so I'm not sure a WTB 2.4in width would fit.

Either way though, it sounds like a Trail boss, DHRII, or Judge would be an upgrade in terms of braking force compared to that DHF back there right now.

Thanks for the info .

Keep on Rockin...
    A lot of us are die hard tire brand loyalists. Maxxis people will hardly venture out to try other brands. Whatever works, works I guess. But what if I were to tell you that venturing out will lead to a gold mine? It's not often this happens but am I glad I did...

Thanks for the report nice write up.

Yeah, I'm stuck on Maxxis tires. But I've been looking at the Vig lately. On my heavy duty trail bike I want a lot of traction, and I like 2.6" tires. Been running a DHF 2.6 up front for some times but there are times I feel it is lacking. I run a Assegai up front on another bike and the traction is just better. I'm a big fan of all those spikey knobs. I've also run Magic Mary's and really like how they hook up but I just don't find them durable enough. Also, the Maxxis in a 2.6 is pretty skinny. A true 2.6 or even a bit bigger would be nice. So the Vig does seem to fit what I'm looking for.

Something I'd like to know more about is what durometer rubber does WTB use for something like the Vig. I'm on wet roots and rocks a lot. Tread pattern is secondary to a tacky compound when it comes to grip on those.

Biggest concern with WTB tires is tubeless set up on non-WTB type beads. Setting up Maxxis tires on the rims I run is super easy and simple. I've heard different about the WTB stuff.

How'd they set up tubeless for you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Iím on my first WTB tire currently (Vigilante, 2.6in width, light/high grip). And so far Iím super impressed compared to my 2.3in exo DHF I had before.

Iíve seen a few reviews mentioning the vigilante squirms. Iíve not had that experience yet, but Iím also not the hardest rider (only a little over a year of riding), so maybe I just havenít pushed it hard enough to notice its shortcomings?
    This sounds a lot like me. I just replaced a DHF on the front for a Vigilante 2.8 light/high and so far like the Vig much better. I have no squirm either. Colorado riding so loose over hardpack here. The first ride with the Vigilante felt like it had slightly more rolling resistance but Strava said I set PR on a couple segments of that ride so I can't argue with objective data vs my subjective "feeling". The Vig is definitely a lot more planted and sure in climbing and corners than the DHF did so if durability and lifetime hold up as well as my experience with Maxxis EXO tires has been then I'm happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thanks for the feedback/insight .

Which type of terrain are you usually riding, out of curiosity?

So far I've only really ridden the 2.35in Magic Mary, the 2.3in EXO DHF, and now this light/high grip 2.6in Vigilante. So far I for sure prefer the MM over the DHF, and the Vigilante is still new enough I'm not sure how to rank it with the others. But if the Verdict is similar to those combined? Maybe I'll check it out when it comes time to replace the Vigilante (still a bit warry about loosing the transition knobs though, as I hate the weird transition zone on the DHF).

The Judge sounds great. How wide does it measure at trail pressure on a i29/30mm-ish rim? My Kona only has clearance for 2.4's... barely... so I'm not sure a WTB 2.4in width would fit.

Either way though, it sounds like a Trail boss, DHRII, or Judge would be an upgrade in terms of braking force compared to that DHF back there right now.

Thanks for the info .
    It's a mix of limestone, hardpack soil, clay, loose over hard, loose gravel, chunky gravel, and loose rocks. Often, all this terrain in a single trail. Kansas City and Arkansas riding. The Judge measures true-to-size knob to knob, but it's not all that tall either. It should fit most narrow trail and enduro frames. It fits my Yeti SB130 with room to spare, and the SB130 is known to have tight rear clearance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post

How'd they set up tubeless for you?
    Tubeless was simple. I'm able to set the bead on a floor pump with any tubeless ready tire nowadays. The Light casing is simple to setup. The bead isn't Schwalbe tight or anything. Just have plenty of sealant in there as WTB tires do require the use to sealant to properly seal.

The Tough casing, well it was a bit harder. But I also mounted them when it was super cold in my garage. The casing is so thick that I had trouble getting one side mounted on to the rim. But after I got it on, getting the other side on was easy. I set the bead also using a floor pump and a lot of sealant.

They'll weep some sealant at the bead for a few hours if you just let it sit. Riding it immediately, it'll seal a lot faster. No pressure loss overnight once it has been sealed.

I have more trouble mounting and removing Schwalbe Super Gravity casings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I'm currently running a 2.6 Vigilante and 2.4 trail boss rear.

After 200 miles, the side knobs are wanting to rip off my front tire and the rear is 1/2 or more to bald in the middle. Admittedly, 30 of those miles were the Whole Enchilada in Moab and another 50 or so were in Salida.

I've never seen tires wear like this. Should I bite the bullet and buy another set? When they were fresh they had good grip. In fact, even with all the lugs torn and rounded over, they still have pretty decent grip.

I may need to try the Verdict on the front based on your review.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post

After 200 miles, the side knobs are wanting to rip off my front tire and the rear is 1/2 or more to bald in the middle. Admittedly, 30 of those miles were the Whole Enchilada in Moab and another 50 or so were in Salida.

I've never seen tires wear like this. Should I bite the bullet and buy another set? When they were fresh they had good grip. In fact, even with all the lugs torn and rounded over, they still have pretty decent grip.

I'm in a similar boat. The Vig is holding up a bit better, especially WRT the side knobs wanting to rip off. The TB is NOT doing well there for me (I have about 350mi on mine).

I've certainly noted that the Vig and TB seem to excel when it's softer and/or damp. It's when it's dry and hard that the tacky rubber on them really squishes and folds. Most of my riding involves a good bit of soft and/or damp conditions for the tires to grab, but it was pretty dry during midsummer and that's when they REALLY started to wear and I started to see evidence that the side knobs on the TB wanted to rip off.

I did a day trip to a trail system that was largely hardpack flow trails and the Vig/TB combo was NOT confidence inspiring at all. I was really feeling the vagueness from the knobs folding over.

My TB will be due for replacement sooner, of course, and I just don't like any of WTB's other tread patterns for my needs. I'm liking the look of the Maxxis Dissector, so I may move to that one in the rear.

mtbr member

What casings are your Vigilante and Trail Boss?

I run the same combo, and have a Vigilante High Grip/Light, and Trail Boss Fast Rolling/Light. They do wear more than other casings of the same tires. But the trade off is grip and I guess weight (I don't weight my tires). I've experienced the same... grip doesn't suffer much as they wear. I pick these over any Maxxis or Kenda combo I've tried.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Just another data point on the Verdict: I found that in loose, loose trails that it was exceptionally good, rolled OK, and had shittones of volume.

The bad: on hardpack it was squirmy and would break loose without much notice or hopes of recovery. At 22psi, I managed to get a snakebite on the front running into a rock at what I would consider normal riding speed (at least for a tire designed like this).

I've now been running high grip 2.5 vigis up front and fast rolling 2.5 vigis rear and LOVE the combo. For our southwest rocky, loose, hardpack trails it's the best I've found. Rolls fast, feels like I'm cheating on corners, and enough braking to keep you honest. The rear does wear fast, but they are cheaper than Maxxis and the ride is so much better i dont care anymore.

mtbr member
    WTB is nowhere near as big as Maxxis is. But I'm glad they're making robust, heavy duty, and competitive tires. Mountain biking's best kept secret are these. So try them out if you can handle the weight and rolling resistance.
    There was a time years ago that anyone that was half a fool was running WTB's. They were king! And some of their tires, like the Velociraptors, are still available today unchanged from what the were many years ago (the '90's, maybe earlier?). That tractor looking front tire, and rear tire with massive "scoops" is crazy aggressive. You either loved it, or hated it. No middle ground.

Maxxis certainly is a good tire. But I think they're as big as they are for the same reason Goodyear became so well known. There was a time when just about any American made car was sold with Goodyear tires on them. Just like any bike made in the last several years had Maxxis tires on them. They became a household name brand. Is that because they're that good, or because they have a great manufacturers offer? And yes, WTB afforded the same growth 20 years ago when they too were OEM tires for many bike companies. As of late, they've starting to show up again as OEM's.

As mentioned in other posts, I ride my trail bike with a WTB Vigilante/Trail Boss combo. The best solution for me and where/how I ride, which covers most typical MTB riding conditions. Admittedly, my much less ridden XC bike has Kenda Nevegal XC Pro's on it. I actually prefer Kenda's over Maxxis. But WTB is my go to tire when it matters most!
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I agree about the Vigs wearing out pretty quickly. I used to run them on the rear and by 400 or so miles, the center knobs where noticeably worn, and the outer knobs were rounding out the edges. The front did a bit better, but it was on its way.

I can't say how the Judge or Verdict will wear since I've only put about 50 miles on them.

Desert and dry rock riding like Moab, Sedona, and Arizona in general is pretty hard on tires. I took a month long business trip to Tucson last year and brought my bike with me with fresh Maxxis tires. DHF 2.5 EXO front and Highroller 2.3 DD rear. I rode about 4-6 times a week in different trails while I was there. On weekends, I'd go to Sedona or Flagstaff. By the time my trip was over and I was packing the bike up, I noticed the tread was toast. That's why I was sliding all over the place!

Mileage may vary depending on where you're at. I can make a set last me about 400-600 miles. I do have multiple bikes so I don't notice the tire wear compared to people with just one bike.

Keep on Rockin...
    Tubeless was simple. I'm able to set the bead on a floor pump with any tubeless ready tire nowadays. The Light casing is simple to setup. The bead isn't Schwalbe tight or anything. Just have plenty of sealant in there as WTB tires do require the use to sealant to properly seal.

The Tough casing, well it was a bit harder. But I also mounted them when it was super cold in my garage. The casing is so thick that I had trouble getting one side mounted on to the rim. But after I got it on, getting the other side on was easy. I set the bead also using a floor pump and a lot of sealant.

They'll weep some sealant at the bead for a few hours if you just let it sit. Riding it immediately, it'll seal a lot faster. No pressure loss overnight once it has been sealed.

I have more trouble mounting and removing Schwalbe Super Gravity casings.
    Cool. What rims?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Cool. What rims?
    DT Swiss XM481s and Crank Bros Synthesis E11s.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    What casings are your Vigilante and Trail Boss?

I run the same combo, and have a Vigilante High Grip/Light, and Trail Boss Fast Rolling/Light. They do wear more than other casings of the same tires. But the trade off is grip and I guess weight (I don't weight my tires). I've experienced the same... grip doesn't suffer much as they wear. I pick these over any Maxxis or Kenda combo I've tried.
    I have the same casings you have.

Out spokin'

The Verdict is IN

I put a 2.5Ē Verdict on the front and did a few techy downhill runs where conditions ranged from wet, slippery roots & rocks to marbly gravel to loam ó this tire works well. I still slid around on the wet, slimy roots & rocks but there wasnít a tire in our bunch that did any better (six of us).

I had a brand new Schwalbe 2.6Ē Magic Mary on the rear.

FWIW a loyal Maxxis customer remained loyal to his DHF/DHR combo.

As for comparing the Verdict to my previous front tire (WTB 2.6Ē light/tough Vigilante), I donít believe the Verdict is any larger than the 2.6Ē Vig on my i30 rims (sorry, didnít actually measure) and Iím not convinced that it gripped the terrain any better than the Vig. But maybe. Hard to tell because even though I did four runs down the same course with each tire on consecutive weekends, the first weekend was dry (Vig) and the second weekend followed rain, which changed conditions dramatically. Iíd been pleased with the Vigís performance, too. I think theyíre both good front tires.

In short, I was happy that the Verdict never let go, never let me down. And I was indeed leaning on it, pushing it as far as I dared under slippery, high speed conditions to give it a real test. I believe itís a winner and Iím going to keep it right where it is for further testing.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I put a 2.5Ē Verdict on the front and did a few techy downhill runs where conditions ranged from wet, slippery roots & rocks to marbly gravel to loam ó this tire works well. I still slid around on the wet, slimy roots & rocks but there wasnít a tire in our bunch that did any better (six of us).

I had a brand new Schwalbe 2.6Ē Magic Mary on the rear.

FWIW a loyal Maxxis customer remained loyal to his DHF/DHR combo.

As for comparing the Verdict to my previous front tire (WTB 2.6Ē light/tough Vigilante), I donít believe the Verdict is any larger than the 2.6Ē Vig on my i30 rims (sorry, didnít actually measure) and Iím not convinced that it gripped the terrain any better than the Vig. But maybe. Hard to tell because even though I did four runs down the same course with each tire on consecutive weekends, the first weekend was dry (Vig) and the second weekend followed rain, which changed conditions dramatically. Iíd been pleased with the Vigís performance, too. I think theyíre both good front tires.

In short, I was happy that the Verdict never let go, never let me down. And I was indeed leaning on it, pushing it as far as I dared under slippery, high speed conditions to give it a real test. I believe itís a winner and Iím going to keep it right where it is for further testing.
    =sParty
    I'm stoked people are out there trying new tires. I love my Verdict/Judge combo and I still stand by them being the highest grip and strongest braking tire combination I've ever used.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    The past few weeks I have been testing the Verdict 2.5 and Vigilante 2.5 against each other. They are both Light/High Grip and after I rode the Judge for one day I decided that i'm never taking it off. Paired with the Judge both of these tires work awesome for a Front and Rear WTB setup.

I think that the Verdict definitely has a bit more grip but the Vigilante is more predictable and actually gives me a bit more confidence. The Vigilante side knobs definitely don't hold up as well on hard cornering but it always breaks away so predictably that I feel in total control. The Verdict maintains its form better but on some of the less smooth trails I found I would get stuck in the transition zones on awkward sections. I was more of a fan of Magic Mary style tires over DHF style so this makes sense. I would think about that before choosing your front tire.

The Vigilante/Judge combo has been the best most confidence inspiring tire combo I have tried. I have tried the Maxxis combos (Assegai, DHF, Aggressor, DHR2), Michelin Wild Enduro's, as well as Magic Mary/Hansy D, I think that these WTB tires despite their weight/strength climb easier and go downhill better than any of these other tires. My preference has been the Vigilante but the Verdict was still an awesome front tire, just not quite my style.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRCD47 View Post
    The past few weeks I have been testing the Verdict 2.5 and Vigilante 2.5 against each other. They are both Light/High Grip and after I rode the Judge for one day I decided that i'm never taking it off. Paired with the Judge both of these tires work awesome for a Front and Rear WTB setup.

I think that the Verdict definitely has a bit more grip but the Vigilante is more predictable and actually gives me a bit more confidence. The Vigilante side knobs definitely don't hold up as well on hard cornering but it always breaks away so predictably that I feel in total control. The Verdict maintains its form better but on some of the less smooth trails I found I would get stuck in the transition zones on awkward sections. I was more of a fan of Magic Mary style tires over DHF style so this makes sense. I would think about that before choosing your front tire.

The Vigilante/Judge combo has been the best most confidence inspiring tire combo I have tried. I have tried the Maxxis combos (Assegai, DHF, Aggressor, DHR2), Michelin Wild Enduro's, as well as Magic Mary/Hansy D, I think that these WTB tires despite their weight/strength climb easier and go downhill better than any of these other tires. My preference has been the Vigilante but the Verdict was still an awesome front tire, just not quite my style.
    As great and amazing the Vigilantes and Verdicts are, I feel that the Judge is the best tire WTB makes. I sure hope they make them in a light/high grip casing so I can run it front and rear during the dry, dusty months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    As great and amazing the Vigilantes and Verdicts are, I feel that the Judge is the best tire WTB makes. I sure hope they make them in a light/high grip casing so I can run it front and rear during the dry, dusty months.
    Its funny, now that I switched to the Vigilante again I kind of miss the Verdict, both amazing! I thought the Judge was going to be just a winter tire and I would try a trailboss again for pedaling more in the summer. Honestly the Judge pedals so well, I have no clue how it can do so while having so much grip and predictability. My confidence on steeper stuff has skyrocketing with the Judge at the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    First post here! Currently Eying WTBs hard. Im on LG1 tires from e13 they're the apex so not the super square ones. 29er with inserts they come up to 1400g in a hurry. Ive been on this combo for over a year now and I think Im use to the weight of things by now.

Im torn between the Vigilante or the Verdict for the front and I think Ill be going for the 2.5-2.6" front and the judge in the rear. It seems that everyone for the most part is on the Judge fanboy page which is good. Im wondering if anyone on here has ridden the V tires in the PNW? I feel like we have all the conditions up here and it would be nice to have one tire set to ride everywhere. Duthie, Tiger, Raging, Tokul all of it and to not have to swap out all the time. Im also one of those big dudes who you wouldnt expect to see on the trail at 250+ and +6' so I think the double sidewall tires are going to be my choice...

mtbr member
    Welcome!

I'm up in the PNW, and have ridden most of the places you mention (haven't been to tokul or tiger yet). I usually ride a bit more on the more northern side, but I frequent Duthie, and have enjoyed the front side of raging river (Poppin tops/flow state). I'm not quite as large as you, but still a bit larger than average (~200lbs 6'1").

I only have the Vigilante, so I can't comment on the Verdict.

I prefer my Vigilante to the DHF that I had before. Full stop.

It seems to grip harder, be better supported, and give me more confidence than the DHF. I don't swap tires depending on the trail system I am on, so I've used the Vigilante everywhere, and now in multiple seasons.

On the loamier/muddier trails the DHF felt more vague than the Vigilante due to the lack of transition knobs. That could be partially on me (solidly intermediate rider here, my lean angle game isn't exactly pro level). The DHF was sketchier on rocks, roots, and wet wood

The other difference could also partially be just the difference in width/compound (the DHF I had was a 2.3 in the harder dual compound, the Vigilante I have is a 2.6in light/high grip).

The light casing is for sure heavier duty than the EXO casing on the DHF as well, if that is useful information for you.

So, not much of a review, but its all I've got.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by a.boy.named.kelly View Post
    First post here! Currently Eying WTBs hard. Im on LG1 tires from e13 they're the apex so not the super square ones. 29er with inserts they come up to 1400g in a hurry. Ive been on this combo for over a year now and I think Im use to the weight of things by now.

Im torn between the Vigilante or the Verdict for the front and I think Ill be going for the 2.5-2.6" front and the judge in the rear. It seems that everyone for the most part is on the Judge fanboy page which is good. Im wondering if anyone on here has ridden the V tires in the PNW? I feel like we have all the conditions up here and it would be nice to have one tire set to ride everywhere. Duthie, Tiger, Raging, Tokul all of it and to not have to swap out all the time. Im also one of those big dudes who you wouldnt expect to see on the trail at 250+ and +6' so I think the double sidewall tires are going to be my choice...
    The Vigilante is incredible on hardpack, but for off camber sketchy steep terrian the Verdict takes it. I switched back to the Verdict full time because no matter how sloppy or sketchy the terrain it will grip. I figured that I didnt need help on hardpack flow trails as much as I did on the sketchier stuff. I went back and forth, and the Vigilante gave me way more confidence cornering because it was predictable. Once I got better at cornering the Verdict is amazing on the tough terrain, and is still pretty good on harder pack.

Out spokin'
    Iím in the PNW, 6í2Ē ride year Ďround. I got a Vigilante last spring, put it on the front of my Guerrilla Gravity Smash (140mm 29er). Found out right away that a little too much pressure can make the tire feel skittish and slippery, at least on the front Thought I might have made a mistake buying that 29x2.6 Vigilante light/tough. But then I dropped the pressure a pound or two and was amazed at the difference. Suddenly the tire gripped like mad. I pushed it and leaned on it everywhere all summer and into fall. Fell in love with the Vigilante, at least the 29x2.6 lighter version.

At the end of the season I bought a Verdict to replace the Vigilante and I moved the latter to the front of my singlespeed for the winter (steel Kona Honzo). Iím finding that the Vigilante is a darn good tire for classic PNW winter conditions, too. I just had the Vigilante in snow (for the first time) and mud (again) today ó as usual it didnít disappoint.

Only ridden the Verdict a few times so far but Iím impressed with that tire, too. I ride my singlespeed a lot more than my FS bike in the winter, so I havenít ridden the Verdict enough to offer long term feedback.
    =sParty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My thoughts on the WTB Judge and Verdict tires.-ad2702c8-6fa7-4fc3-aa0f-a336ca21e2a9.jpeg  

disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I am very conflicted. These tires have been my favorite, but last week I punctured my Tough Casing Judge and it sealed and has been fine. However I punctured my Light Verdict a few days later and it will need a plug. I dont want to deal with flats so am considering a tough casing up front or going back to Maxxis DD front and rear. Has anyone else on here had more than usual punctures on their WTB tires?

mtbr member
    I have a WTB Vigilante light/high grip in the front of my bike, and haven't had a flat with it yet... but I also didn't ever flat my old EXO DHF in the front either (the back did though).

How did you flat the front? And you punctured the rear tough casing? From what I hear thats actually pretty uncommon. How did that happen?

Are you running really low pressures, or are you a really heavy/fast rider?

But if you're not wanting to have to deal with punctures, I'd go with a tough casing F/R, possibly with cushcore or similar.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I think I'm going to give up on WTB tires. They were a good value for the money, but they are just so worn out after 6 months of riding. Maybe I expected too much, but my friends on Maxxis and Specialized tires are still rocking the same tires they had when this test period started, whereas my rear Trail Boss is nearly bald and the Vigilante looks like it wants to lose its side knobs (but none have yet exited despite my efforts). I haven't been riding my enduro blaster a lot this winter because sometimes I ride a hardtail or fat bike, but it looks like unless I really want to go through something like 3 sets a year, that awesomeness the Vigilante had when it was new where it would just bite into everything is not there for long. It's surprising because, for example, the Maxxis Minion DHF is actually a softer tire based on the published durometer ratings. I still insist on a tire with intermediate knobs so I will be trying an Assegai or maybe a Specialized tire (Butcher?). There's a lot of factors to consider and I might be sad to see them go, even worn they grip pretty well, just nothing like when they were new. The desert is rough on tires.

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to give up on WTB tires. They were a good value for the money, but they are just so worn out after 6 months of riding. Maybe I expected too much, but my friends on Maxxis and Specialized tires are still rocking the same tires they had when this test period started, whereas my rear Trail Boss is nearly bald and the Vigilante looks like it wants to lose its side knobs (but none have yet exited despite my efforts). I haven't been riding my enduro blaster a lot this winter because sometimes I ride a hardtail or fat bike, but it looks like unless I really want to go through something like 3 sets a year, that awesomeness the Vigilante had when it was new where it would just bite into everything is not there for long. It's surprising because, for example, the Maxxis Minion DHF is actually a softer tire based on the published durometer ratings. I still insist on a tire with intermediate knobs so I will be trying an Assegai or maybe a Specialized tire (Butcher?). There's a lot of factors to consider and I might be sad to see them go, even worn they grip pretty well, just nothing like when they were new. The desert is rough on tires.
    Which compound/casing is your Vigilante, and how many miles are you getting out of them?

And which tires are your buddies running, and do they do similar mileage to you? I know some people seem to get lots of use out of their tires, while others running softer rubber seem to think that 3 months of riding is pretty good tread life.

My front Vigilante is a light/high grip (2.6x29) variant, and so far it hasn't had tons of mileage on it (~50ish miles so far), and it still looks quite new. Curious what kind of life to expect out of it.

I had some dual compound (the hardest rubber) DHF's on my bike before, and I swapped them out before they were worn out, with about 200 miles on them. They didn't look new anymore, but they had plenty of life left in them. I'm pretty sure it was just that the rubber was super hard, as my buddies Maxxterra (middle softness) tires didn't seem to last near as well. Thats why I'm a bit curious what your friends are using, and if they're getting longer life.

I just put a Michelin Wild Enduro Rear on my bike to complement the Vigilante front. I nearly went with the Judge, but I scored a pretty good deal on the Michelin (paid $35). I also hear they wear pretty quick, so I'll be curious to see which one wears out first (Vigilante, or the Wild Enduro rear).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Good write-up. Historically I've been a big fan of WTB tires but I've been really unhappy with their current line up. Sorry to gripe. I just wish someone at WTB would get it into their head that there is not much of a market for slow rolling 1100g+ tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Which compound/casing is your Vigilante, and how many miles are you getting out of them?

And which tires are your buddies running, and do they do similar mileage to you? I know some people seem to get lots of use out of their tires, while others running softer rubber seem to think that 3 months of riding is pretty good tread life.

My front Vigilante is a light/high grip (2.6x29) variant, and so far it hasn't had tons of mileage on it (~50ish miles so far), and it still looks quite new. Curious what kind of life to expect out of it.

I had some dual compound (the hardest rubber) DHF's on my bike before, and I swapped them out before they were worn out, with about 200 miles on them. They didn't look new anymore, but they had plenty of life left in them. I'm pretty sure it was just that the rubber was super hard, as my buddies Maxxterra (middle softness) tires didn't seem to last near as well. Thats why I'm a bit curious what your friends are using, and if they're getting longer life.

I just put a Michelin Wild Enduro Rear on my bike to complement the Vigilante front. I nearly went with the Judge, but I scored a pretty good deal on the Michelin (paid $35). I also hear they wear pretty quick, so I'll be curious to see which one wears out first (Vigilante, or the Wild Enduro rear).
    I think there's about 400 miles on my tires. I'm putting off ordering another set because I'm undecided on what to try next, but I have some out of town trips coming up so I'm going to be swapping them soon enough. I am running the light/high grip front and light/fast rolling rear compound.

My friends ride with me a lot, some of them more than me and some less than I ride. Their tires look new. Mine are trashed.

I'd expect your Vigilante is ripped to shreds faster than any tire you've ever used. Rears generally wear faster but the side knobs on my Vigilante are so rough looking that although the rear is more "worn," both really need to be replaced.

mtbr member
    I think there's about 400 miles on my tires. I'm putting off ordering another set because I'm undecided on what to try next, but I have some out of town trips coming up so I'm going to be swapping them soon enough. I am running the light/high grip front and light/fast rolling rear compound.

My friends ride with me a lot, some of them more than me and some less than I ride. Their tires look new. Mine are trashed.

I'd expect your Vigilante is ripped to shreds faster than any tire you've ever used. Rears generally wear faster but the side knobs on my Vigilante are so rough looking that although the rear is more "worn," both really need to be replaced.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Guess I'll see how they wear for me over the upcoming season.

That said, I don't get to ride near as much as I would like (work, 2 young kids, etc). 400 miles is about what I rode all of last year, and if the tire last me a full year, I'd not be too annoyed by it. If I rode a lot more though, I could see that being annoying/disappointing.

Currently I still like my Vigilante, but I'm not really committed to any one tire manufacturer. So if it ends up being sub-par, I'll probably try something new.

My buddy just put on a MaxxTerra EXO+ 2.5 Assegai (0 miles on it so far), so we can compare wear over the summer, as mine aren't too worn yet. Thats another one on my list to try next.

I really wish Michelin made the Wild Enduro front in at least a 2.5in width, or I think I'd try that next (or, maybe I still will, hard to tell). I'm a sucker for any tire with big shoulder lugs and transition knobs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the heads up.

Guess I'll see how they wear for me over the upcoming season.

That said, I don't get to ride near as much as I would like (work, 2 young kids, etc). 400 miles is about what I rode all of last year, and if the tire last me a full year, I'd not be too annoyed by it. If I rode a lot more though, I could see that being annoying/disappointing.

Currently I still like my Vigilante, but I'm not really committed to any one tire manufacturer. So if it ends up being sub-par, I'll probably try something new.

My buddy just put on a MaxxTerra EXO+ 2.5 Assegai (0 miles on it so far), so we can compare wear over the summer, as mine aren't too worn yet. Thats another one on my list to try next.

I really wish Michelin made the Wild Enduro front in at least a 2.5in width, or I think I'd try that next (or, maybe I still will, hard to tell). I'm a sucker for any tire with big shoulder lugs and transition knobs.
    HellKat is supposed to be the front tire to run these days, and it's big. I just put a specialized eliminator on and it's excellent, although I prioritize rolling speed over ultimate grip.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    ive used both the Verdict (dry, light version) and the Vigilante on the front, extensively.
    IME, the Verdict is a soft/loose conditions tire only, when you care only about grip and not rolling speed. For that there's nothing better. However, its not great on hardpack or smooth clean rock. The side knobs are just too flexible and squirm on off-camber smooth rock-can actually be kinda sketchy your line can shift unexpectedly . the Vigilante is a better in those conditions the side knobs dont seem as flexy, it works well in both dry hard conditions and soft/loose/damp, but the Verdict is better in pure loose. I just throw the verdict on if conditions warrant it. One con of both tires is the bead is so freakin tight I have to use a clamp to remove the tire in the garage, so removing the tire to put in a tube on the trail sounds like a giant PITA.
    The weight doesnt botehr me.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I installed CushCore on my Verdict and Judge combo and finally got to ride it recently. It's amazing how ridiculous the grip is with CushCore especially when you run lower pressures. I settled on 16F/18R and I've never been more confident in corners. Zero tire roll. I haven't lost any feedback and it's still quick to turn. If anything, I feel that it's more precise now. And I can definitely feel the mechanical grip. Braking has increased considerably. I run the new generation 4 piston XTs and they're no slouch. Add CC and low pressures and you're going to slow down or stop exactly where you want without skidding. It has also helped a ton in more techy climbs since I have a lot more grip to get up. Going through rock gardens, I don't get bounced around as much as I'm used to. And it's overall a more comfortable ride.

Now for the elephant in the room. Yes it added 1lb of extra weight to the bike. It's up to you to determine if that weight is worth it. If you want the maximum amount of grip, then you should consider CC. If you're worried about weight, move right along. I'm used to heavy bikes and slow rolling tires now(thanks to riding WTBs) so the extra weight isn't super noticeable just chugging along. Until I'm climbing steep inclines. That's where the weight rears its ugly head. Rolling speed, strangely enough, doesn't feel negatively affected.

Installing CC on these tires is a nightmare. I took my wheels to my LBS to have them install it. My friend who owns said LBS told me that CC also increased the life of his tires. He's been running the same Bontrager SE5s, on an e-MTB, no less, for 1000 miles and the tires look to have just moderate wear. He rides harder than anyone I know and my local trails aren't exactly tire friendly.

Oh, and to make up for the increased weight, there's no need to carry tubes anymore. There is no way in hell anyone is removing a CC from a wheel trail side. But you can ride a flat tire with CC and limp back to the trail head. Like I said, it's not for everyone. But for those that put maximum grip above everything else, there's nothing better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I have a WTB Vigilante light/high grip in the front of my bike, and haven't had a flat with it yet... but I also didn't ever flat my old EXO DHF in the front either (the back did though).

How did you flat the front? And you punctured the rear tough casing? From what I hear thats actually pretty uncommon. How did that happen?

Are you running really low pressures, or are you a really heavy/fast rider?

But if you're not wanting to have to deal with punctures, I'd go with a tough casing F/R, possibly with cushcore or similar.

I want to believe it is bad luck, I have gotten way faster this season and am also riding rougher trails. I just switched back to the Assegai up front and am trying the Dissector out back. I actually really miss the Judge on the back of my bike already.

I wanted to get some other opinions because the Judge is still by far my favorite rear tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Going to try out Tough Casings in the Front, I think I ride too hard now for the Light casings. I will say one thing about these two tires, the Verdict rewards you if you push it harder and is superior in really loose dirt, the Vigilante is by far the easiest to ride and most predictable tire, doesn't really lack a ton to the Verdict, I think it is almost worth having both tires.

mtbr member
    This is a great thread, I was exactly looking for information like this and been trying to decide for days if WTB would be the right tires for me. I have a few questions for you guys;
    Right now I have a DHF 29 X 2.5WT in the rear. How much smaller is the Judge as a rear tire? Up front I have the DHF 29 X 2.6 right now. The 2.5 Verdict is still going to be bigger than the DHF 2.6, is that correct? And the Vigilante 2.6 measures bigger than the Verdict 2.5 or are they about the same in size?
    Iím looking for a front tire bigger than the DHF 2.6 but the rear tire should be about the same size as my DHF 2.5WT.
    Can anybody describe the biggest differences between the Verdict and Vigilante? Iím trying to decide between one of these as a front tire and Iím leaning towards the Verdict. I mostly ride dry rocky technical terrain in Texas with some rocky downhill and am looking for a tire that corners better than the DHF. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Txholland View Post
    This is a great thread, I was exactly looking for information like this and been trying to decide for days if WTB would be the right tires for me. I have a few questions for you guys;
    Right now I have a DHF 29 X 2.5WT in the rear. How much smaller is the Judge as a rear tire? Up front I have the DHF 29 X 2.6 right now. The 2.5 Verdict is still going to be bigger than the DHF 2.6, is that correct? And the Vigilante 2.6 measures bigger than the Verdict 2.5 or are they about the same in size?
    Iím looking for a front tire bigger than the DHF 2.6 but the rear tire should be about the same size as my DHF 2.5WT.
    Can anybody describe the biggest differences between the Verdict and Vigilante? Iím trying to decide between one of these as a front tire and Iím leaning towards the Verdict. I mostly ride dry rocky technical terrain in Texas with some rocky downhill and am looking for a tire that corners better than the DHF. Thanks!
    Verdict is better than Vigilante, the Vigilante Knobs squirm more and the Verdict seems to hold its line better on off camber and also rocky stuff. Vigilante feels better on berms but thats about it. Verdict also pedals a little easier. If I could get the light casing to work for me I think you can run the Verdict all year round as a front tire.

mtbr member
    I've never ridden a Verdict, but I can't imagine the 2.5in verdict being bigger than the 2.6in Vigilante though. I have one, and it is huge at ~2.71-2.75in.

I'd wager that the 2.5in WTB's will be very close to the size of the 2.6in DHF you have, and larger than the 2.5in DHF.

But the vigilante wouldn't be my first pick for hard pack/rock tire. Its a good all rounder, but it definitely prefers damper/looser conditions to harder drier stuff. Its shoulder lugs aren't as well supported as others either, so I'd actually say its worse at high pressure berms (ie, where I notice it as a weak point) where the lugs can roll.

mtbr member
    Do you guys prefer the Judge High Grip or Fast Rolling? And the Verdict Light or Tough?

Iím surprised that the reviews for the Judge are not so great on WTBís own website. Not a very big tire and poor sidewalls? Does it really look small? Is it much smaller than a DHF 2.5?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Do you guys prefer the Judge High Grip or Fast Rolling? And the Verdict Light or Tough?

Iím surprised that the reviews for the Judge are not so great on WTBís own website. Not a very big tire and poor sidewalls? Does it really look small? Is it much smaller than a DHF 2.5?
    I just mounted up a judge high grip tough 29" tonight. It looked a little narrower than the 2.4 dhr2 I took off, but I can measure tomorrow. It is not a puny tire, however.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rain164845 View Post
    I just mounted up a judge high grip tough 29" tonight. It looked a little narrower than the 2.4 dhr2 I took off, but I can measure tomorrow. It is not a puny tire, however.

Awesome, looking forward to hear more. See if you can post a photo here please. I want the Judge but I donít want my rear tire to be too small. Iím happy with my DHF 2.5WT now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    All 29". All on 30mm internal rims. Pics of the tire crown also. Judge send a little more square and I like it based on one ride. Judge high grip tough 2.4. dhf 2.5 maxxgrip exo+. Dhr2 2.4 maxxterra exo+My thoughts on the WTB Judge and Verdict tires.-20200523_104746.jpgMy thoughts on the WTB Judge and Verdict tires.-20200523_104756.jpgMy thoughts on the WTB Judge and Verdict tires.-20200523_104646.jpgMy thoughts on the WTB Judge and Verdict tires.-20200523_104712.jpgMy thoughts on the WTB Judge and Verdict tires.-20200523_104836.jpgMy thoughts on the WTB Judge and Verdict tires.-20200523_104856.jpg

mtbr member
    All 29". Pics of the tire crown also. Judge send a little more square and I like it based on one ride. Judge high grip tough 2.4. dhf 2.5 maxxgrip exo+. Dhr2 2.4 maxxterra exo+Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200523_104746.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	1335389Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200523_104756.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	1335391Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200523_104646.jpg 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	1335393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200523_104712.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	1335395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200523_104836.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	1335397Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200523_104856.jpg 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	1335399

Thanks, great info!!

So the DHF 2.5 is 5mm wider than the Judge, right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks, great info!!

So the DHF 2.5 is 5mm wider than the Judge, right?
    Correct

mtbr member
    Correct

Thanks, ordering one today. You have the high grip or fast rolling?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks, ordering one today. You have the high grip or fast rolling?
    I went high grip. Conditions were completely awful this morning but the tire did great. Definitely heavy though.

mtbr member
    I went high grip. Conditions were completely awful this morning but the tire did great. Definitely heavy though.

The High grip is lighter than the Fast rolling on WTBís website, I would think itís the other way around.

Awful conditions? Where did you ride? Thatís where Iíd like to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The High grip is lighter than the Fast rolling on WTBís website, I would think itís the other way around.

Awful conditions? Where did you ride? Thatís where Iíd like to ride.
    Trace ridge in Pisgah NC

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I really like the big sharp edge blocks too. After some more ride time it could be my favorite rear tire. Currently that is dhr2

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I am shocked at how great the new Verdict Wet 29 x 2.5 Tough is. I am loyal Vittoria user, but I grabbed a sale price WTB verdict last month. Tire is really great. The wet version is too hard of a rubber in my opinion, and I am sure glad I did not try the regular version, so get Verdict Wet for sure. It measures 63mm at carcass and 67mm on side knobs mounted to Ibis 41 (external carbon rims). If I could buy these tires for $44 again, I would. They are a little heavy, but I dont notice it so much riding. The idea of 5 pounds of tires (2), is kinda hard to take. I still think the Vittoria rubber compound is softer and slightly better grip, but I wear down Vittoria tread quite a bit in 15 rides. But, Vittoria is changing alot of tires, which has me trying new stuff. Verdict Wet is great.
    Buy American, save lives. (Tough for cyclists)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The judge high grip is my new favorite tire of all time for descending. It is a slug on really steep climbs though. Painfully slow. But that's not what it is for.