mtbr member
    May 2016

Are my rims tubeless ready?

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the forums for about a year now and finally decided to jump into posting. A few months ago I upgraded from my Bianchi hardtail to a Raleigh Kodiak 2 2015 full suspension bike. I know it is only an entry level bike but it has brought me tons of fun. My fiance also recently got into mountain biking and bought the same bike as me. Enough of my back story. My question.

I am looking into going tubeless on my bike and I can't get a definitive answer on if my rims would work. My bike has Weinmann U28, 27.5", 32h rims. I have read some people that said it will work but also some that say I should upgrade. Just hoping to get another opinion. I have Honey Badger sport tires on it currently as that is what came on it stock.

Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    While they probably aren't tubeless ready, you should easily be able to convert them using a Stans's kit or a homebrew version of the same. It's easy, search the web, there are plenty of how tos for the various methods.

mtbpete
    It is not necessarily easy to convert tube-type rims and tube-type tires to tubeless. With the right parts, equipment, understanding of the process and patients anyone can do it. One tool that will make things much easier is a compressor along with a presto to schrader adapter or correct compressor nozzle. Check out Stan's video's, but here's the important steps.

1. Make the rim air-tight on the inside and build up the rim with a rubber rim strip or many layers of tubeless tape to make the tire fit tighter and create a bead seat.

2. Make sure you can get the tire inflated on the rim without sealant first. This is very important otherwise you will make a mess if doesn't work with the sealant. Spread soapy water around the tire bead to make this easier.

3. Let the air out of the tire. If the tire bead stays locked into the sidewall after it's deflated then you have a good "bead seat", which is not likely with a regular tube type rim, but if you do this will make your job easier. If the tire is still locked against the bead, then remove the valve core and use a small funnel, 2oz bottle or injector to put 3 or 4 oz of sealant in the tire. If the tire unseats when inflated you can still do this, or you can un-mount one sidewall and poor the sealant in then re-mount the sidewall of the tire.

4. Reinflate. If it worked without sealant then it should work with sealant.

5. Seal the tire. If you're lucky this will work the first time, but more often this process can take a while, especially with tube type and tubeless-ready tires. Some tires seal completely after shaking the sealant all around the sidewalls for 15 minutes, other tires will form new leaks in the sidewalls as they sit under pressure. These leaks are very, very small so you will not see them, but only see a deflated tire the next day. The only way to find these leaks is to spread soapy water around the sidewall and look for areas that suds occur. You may have to do this for the first week or so after setting up your tires tubeless. Once all the imperfections in the sidewall of the tire have burst and you have sealed them, you will be good to go. Good luck.

mtbr member
    I would contact Stan's and ask them which rim strip would best fit those rims. give them a call and you will have an answer in a matter of minutes rather than waiting for days for the forum to come up with something, or frustrating yourself with experimenting.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    One tool that will make things much easier is a compressor along with a presto to schrader adapter or correct compressor nozzle.
    did i catch a Presto in there?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    did i catch a Presto in there?
    presto chango there's a toob up in here... i kid, i kid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

answers?

Quote Originally Posted by mduhon View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have been reading the forums for about a year now and finally decided to jump into posting. A few months ago I upgraded from my Bianchi hardtail to a Raleigh Kodiak 2 2015 full suspension bike. I know it is only an entry level bike but it has brought me tons of fun. My fiance also recently got into mountain biking and bought the same bike as me. Enough of my back story. My question.

I am looking into going tubeless on my bike and I can't get a definitive answer on if my rims would work. My bike has Weinmann U28, 27.5", 32h rims. I have read some people that said it will work but also some that say I should upgrade. Just hoping to get another opinion. I have Honey Badger sport tires on it currently as that is what came on it stock.

Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks

i ride the same bike.. is that green strip in it an indication it is ready ? or did yours need tape?

mtbpete
    Good catch! I'll leave it.

EAT MORE GRIME
    tape = tubeless ready for almost any rim

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...an-780856.html

[officially 'UST' (mavic) ? that requires a rim/bead interface specific to UST design specs]

example. go buy some i9 TLR wheels, unbox them, see that they just apply tape. boom, tlr
    (it's a quality tape job for sure, but no magic pixie dust was used either)
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot