mtbr member
    Dec 2016

My first wheelset....so far so good...

I thought I write a write-up on my first built wheelset.

Parts:
    27.5 DT Swiss m462 32h.
    Shimano SLX hubs M7000.
    Wheelsmith 14g DB 2/1.7 spokes.
    Wheelsmith 14g straight guage spokes on drive side.
    DT brass nipples.
    Lacing pattern is 3 cross.

I read a lot before starting the build. Waiting for parts to arrive is agonizing. Rims were coming from the UK (12 days to arrive from CRC). Ordered the spokes on Ebay and that took about a week.

Things I did incorrectly......didn't account for the front hub uneven dish angle. For some reasons, the Roger Musson book didn't mention about the front hub with disc brake. The rotor size has a steeper dish angle than the non-rotor size. My spoke length only accounted for the rear drive side. As a result, for the front hub, I have few spokes, I think, bottomed out the thread. The dish angle is maybe 2mm off. In the over all scheme of things, that may not be an issue.

Other than that, I think everything went fine even not using a spoke tensioner. For the spoke prep, I use anti-seize grease, the silver kind. I greased the nipple to eyelet with grease as well. To get the even initial spoke tension, I gauged it by counting how many threads were exposed above the nipple since all of the spokes have the same length on the threads. A nipple driver would help but I was trying to save money and didn't want to wait for another week for the nipple driver. I made sure I turned the nipples evenly on each side. I plucked the spokes in the end to verify if the spoken tension was uniform.

These DT Swiss rims are great and precisely made. Didn't have any issues with rim hops or not being true. To get the final truing and spoke tension adjustment, I had to clamp the spokes with a rubber covered pliers to ensure that they won't twist.

Originally, I wanted to use the same spokes on the rear wheel. Since they are different length and I was trying to save money by getting what I needed, I got the cheaper straight gauge 14g spokes for the drive side. A bit heavier. For where I ride and how I ride, I don't expect to see any issues with it....

Just tested the wheelset last Sunday and did 30 miles on it in my local trail. No ping and pop sounds. True as it is since the first day. Total weight of the wheelset is about 1950g, $$220+. The weight on these wheels is so evenly distributed that they don't even rock back and fore when slowly coming to a stop, with the tires mounted.

Last edited by SingleSpeed73; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:10 PM.

mtbpete
    Looks nice. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Looking good. Dt swiss makes fantastic stuff
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO