Most reliable tire brands for not leaking sealant through the sidewalls?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Most reliable tire brands for not leaking sealant through the sidewalls?

Have you had lots of experience running tubeless with different tire brands? If so, which tire brands have you found to be most reliable in terms of not leaking sealant through the sidewalls?

I'd appreciate your thoughts. I am aware there are lots of variables, e.g., which exact tire, casing version, sealant, etc.

FYI, the reason I ask is that I'm relatively new to tubeless. A couple tires I have (Maxxis and Kenda) don't seem to have a sidewall leakage problem. But another couple I have from another major top brand still show pinhead white leaks (Stans Race) even after several weeks and rides.

Thanks!

Rider
    Nov 2019
    I've never had a problem or heard of a problem with vittoria tnt sidewalls.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Specialized non-grid tyres like weeping through the sidewalls.

EAT MORE GRIME
    stans weeps through many tires that orange seal will not

so I can say Hodags weep like a sponge -if- stans but weep zero if orange seal

contil trail kings, and any maxxis, don't weep for me but I now stick to orange seal

so...~it varies~, dudemanguy
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Specialized non-grid tyres like weeping through the sidewalls.
    I have a 2020 Ground Control Grid tire ready to install next, if I get fed up with my current most weepy (not specialized) tire.

Maxxis cult follower
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    stans weeps through many tires that orange seal will not

so I can say Hodags weep like a sponge -if- stans but weep zero if orange seal

contil trail kings, and any maxxis, don't weep for me but I now stick to orange seal

so...~it varies~, dudemanguy

I dunno, it seems like the opposite so far for my tires. 2 bike shops, one used Stan's, put 3 ounces in and it's 100% fine, even in a plus tire. 2nd bike shop used EIGHT ounces of orange to get a different tire to seal. No leaks or anything, but I mean...3 oz vs. 8 oz, not that I'm a Stan's fan or anything but that's too much sealant needed for Orange. Maybe they screwed something up and had to compensate with extra sealant. I'll do another tubeless tire with the 2nd shop just to see if it's consistent that they have to use 8 oz of Orange.

The thing I found amusing is that the bike shop that did the Stan's perfectly works on all kinds of bikes, and the 8 ounces of Orange was from a 100% mountain bike only shop, go figure...
    40% of the population doesn't even understand what a dictatorship is. Or worse...far worse...they don't care.

mtbr member
    Haven't had an issue with Maxxis or Bontrager weeping. I use Stan's btw.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    No sidewall weeping ever, on about 30 Vittoria TnT tires, going back to Geax branded units from about 2010. I have had about 1/2 of the Maxxis tires weep, and a few Schwalbe (2016). All filled with Stans. I was never bothered by tires weeping sealant. Usually just ride and the dust covers it. I agree with others that Stans used be be a better product. I think it has to do with more stringent EPA laws (hunch).

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Vittoria tires with TNT sidewalls. I've used somewhere around a dozen of their tires and never had any issues with weeping, leaking, or sealing. They're the most reliable tubeless tires I've ever used. Maxxis is pretty good too, but I've had a couple of them weep a touch after I put wobbles into the casing (EXO, tubeless ready) from slamming them into things.

mbtr member
    UST tires don't leak at all.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Interesting. Vittoria TnT tires getting strong mentions, from TylerVernon, hoolie, and aerius.

Vittoria have not been on my mind at all, but now they are. Will check 'em out.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have only experience with Vittoria Mezcals (TNT) but they're indeed tyres you can bet your life on. You'll pay the price in weight though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    +10 on Vittoria

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I can only talk about what I've used. I don't usually get to see the long term behavior of the many tires I have mounted tubeless for others. Short term, I've never had a tire leak much when new. Long term, many have gotten pretty weepy. From my perspective, it doesn't matter much. I run my tires until they are pretty worn out, and I use car tire patches and superglue to get there. In the last decade I have only had to dispose of one tire that had a lot of life left. If they weep, I monitor the sealant and add as needed. I just wipe off the leakage.

WTB Ranger - no leaks until near the end of life, then sidewall leaking
    WTB Trail Boss - didn't leak, but I never wore it out
    Schwalbe Rocket Rons - no leaks until the sidewalls wore off and there were just threads, then lots of leaking - all were lite skins. I'm trying a snake skin now.
    Specalized Ground Control - non-grid got leaky on the second and third year. It took me awhile to wear them out. The current Grid ones don't leak
    Bontranger XR2 - No leaks
    Bontrager XR3 - No leaks, only 25% worn out
    Innova 3.0 - no leaks
    Vittoria Barzo - Only 10% worn, no leaks

Combat Wombat
    I had a set of WTB Trail Bosses weep through the side walls after I had them for awhile and with many miles. Ran a set of Bontrager XR4s for a year with no issues and have never had an issue with various Maxxis EXO casing tires. Running Orange sealant in all these.

jct
    mtbr member
    WTB weep like mofos.

maxxis and bontrager have been super clean for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

mtbr member
    Bontrager TLR Team Issue XR tires, in my experience, have air/ sealant retention on a level above Maxxis and Schwalbe, that I imagine might compete with UST. Their casing is a supple, but not flimsy, with a compound that does surprisingly good in the dry. One of the few tires I've used that I didn't feel compelled to replace with Maxxis, being spoiled by their performance in the dry SoCal region. Great choice for XC.

I've had a new Schwalbe Double Down Nobby Nic hold air reliably enough for a 2 hour ride at Greer Ranch, a famous SoCal spot, without sealant. I can't ride their SnakeSkin variety in the same location, at the same intensity, without expecting failure, even with CushCore. I had a case of a knob tear, casing tear, and pinch flat all within a span of 2 months, trying to believe others that they ride the same tires riding rough and fast...

I've had Spec GRID tires sweat, getting worse after a few rides on them. I wouldn't buy them anyways, as their traction fades after use when riding in desert conditions. They still deliver a great experience in hero dirt though.

I've had a Kenda Hellkat weep after a day at the bike park. Worked admirably before that, but the bike park took a heavy toll on it.

I've had a Vee Rubber tire that had a surprisingly stout casing, that had good air/sealant retention, and great traction in the dry, but it wore out quite fast. I think I got 500 quality XC miles out of one before it started sliding and slipping, and about 100-200 more before I got fed up with it and recognized why it was on clearance sale.

I normally am happy with Maxxis, but I encounter various tires since I tend to buy used stuff to freshen my riding experience on the same old trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Another vote for Bontrager XR series. Never seen a weep or wet spot on any tires. Pretty good luck with Maxxis and specialized tires also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rist View Post
    I have only experience with Vittoria Mezcals (TNT) but they're indeed tyres you can bet your life on. You'll pay the price in weight though.
    Huh? They're like 600-750g depending on wheel size and width unless you're talking plus, which is on par with or better than just about every other brand's XC offerings.

For OP: right now I'm running a non-TNT Barzo on the rear and it has seams that leak a bunch during setup, but once sealed it's had minimal seepage over the last 2-3 months. This is with Slime STR. I don't do Stan's.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    I don't think my hans dampf pacestar actually has sealant in it anymore. It has to be dry by now. Thing holds air seemingly forever, and never seeped at all.

No Pavement Nation (NPN)
    Another for Vittoria! Never any weepage on any of the 5 models Iíve owned. As new they regularly hold full pressure without sealant, I recently remounted an old dry worn Mezcal and it would not until I added sealant, even then it never wept.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Vittoria TNT tires with Orange Seal over 3 years, I have never had sealant seep through the carcass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    WTB weep like mofos.

maxxis and bontrager have been super clean for me.

My weepy set that I referred to, but didn't name specifically, in my OP are WTBs. I really like WTB company as whole, all the way back to the 1990's, so am bit bummed abt my tires.

I will swap out my rear WTB. Did another small ride today and the rear WTB weeping is really pretty bad now. I am on a hardtail, but trail is pretty tame. The front WTB weeping is small/acceptable.

Will try out my Spesh Ground Control Grid and also look for a Vittoria and Bontrager, the two that many folks seem quite pleased with.
    I'll also pound more on my Maxxis (front) and Kenda (rear) wheelset.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I haven't had a tire weep sealant in years. If memory serves, the last ones that did were old Specialized non-Grid casings.

I use Stans and commonly use the following brands in order: Maxxis, Bontrager, Continental, Specialized. No weeping issues with any of these brands in various casings.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I have only used two brands tubeless so far. No problems with either.

Maxxis dhf in exo casing, and WTB vigilante in the light casing. I use orange endurance sealant if that makes any difference.

A buddy of mine has some schwalbe magic Maryís that have been fine as well. I think he uses normal orange seal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Some brands make it really hard to tell what you are buying. Labeling is sometimes vague at best. It's worth double checking to make sure that the version of the tire you have purchased is actually a "tubeless" tire.
    TTUB - Ventura County California