Michelin DH-34 tires- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    104

    Michelin DH-34 tires

    Has anyone tried them yet?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ocnLogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    953
    As far as I know, they have been announced, but not released as of yet.

    I havenít seen them for sale anywhere yet, and honestly I donít think Iíve seen a release date for them. But if anyone has more info, or has time on the prototypes, Iíd love to hear about it, as Iím interested in these tires as well.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    104
    Bump. Anyone seen them in the flesh yet?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ocnLogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by Camstyn View Post
    Bump. Anyone seen them in the flesh yet?
    In the pinkbike article about the release of the Fox 38 fork, the bike it was featured with had a Michelin DH tire (the 22 I think?).

    In the comments someone asked about it. A response came saying that it was originally supposed to be in March sometime, but with COVID doing its thing, its been pushed back. They're saying dealers should have stock around the end of April.

    No idea if its true, but thats the only thing I've heard one way or the other.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mr_manny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    453
    pinkbike article is here:
    Michelin DH Tires

    I'm particularly interested in the DH34 Bike Park tire.
    Have noticed some deals online, and wondering if they are any good.

    They are on the heavy side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Michelin DH-34 tires-screenshot_2020-05-31-michelin-finally-releases-new-downhill-tire-range-pinkbike.png  

    Last edited by mr_manny; 06-01-2020 at 06:56 AM.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DrewBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,531
    I believe theyíre available in wire bead only, hence the weight. FWIW the DH22 looks an awfully lot like a Wild Enduro, so if you want to try the feel without the weight give that a shot. Seems like Michelin really likes that tread layout, as itís pretty much the same across their range, with lug heights scaled up/down from DH to Enduro to Trail. DH22Ė>WE Frontó>WE Rearó>Wild AM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    98
    I bought them a week/couple weeks ago. They came from Germany, I couldn't find a vendor in the US with them. They shipped and are sitting in customs now. (or maybe it was a price issue, with US suppliers at double the price? Can't remember.)

    I hope to have them soon because my current tires are bald. My ride yesterday was really fishtaily because I was in straight loose gravel the whole ride, and I had to slow way way down for all the off camber turns. It was quite unsettling actually, felt like the rear wheel bearings were loose.

    Hopefully they aren't too tall, my 2.3's are pretty close to the frame in the back as it is. I'd hate to run out of room.

    I REALLY want these tires on my bike, asap. Hurry customs!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mr_manny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    453
    Due to the wire bead, they are about 1/2lbs heavier then exo or snakeskin options.

    Really interested in these budget tires...hope they fit
    Please keep us posted
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    98
    my Tioga factory DH's weren't too far off. Less than 1/2 lb. They are so worn and bald right now I wouldn't be surprised if the difference today is MORE than half a pound each!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    98
    you guys won't be able to really tell from me though. My current tires are almost 20 years old. But I'll try to slump down some heavy rocks and re-ride that loose gravel trail when they are in and see if I feel more confident.

    My dropper is a week late too (supposed to be in stock 5-29, now says 6-6, but already ordered so oh well, more waiting!), so that might make a difference too. It's NOT confidence boosting to be sitting WAY up high with a fish-taily back end coming up to an outside corner and missing it means I'm going down a steep hill for a ways.... But if that thing comes maybe sitting low in the saddle will give a false sense of traction improvement compared to tires alone.

    But on the third hand I'm slow these days so maybe it's all meaningless

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    pinkbike article is here:
    Michelin DH Tires

    I'm particularly interested in the DH34 Bike Park tire.
    Have noticed some deals online, and wondering if they are any good.

    They are on the heavy side.
    They are the going rate for DH tires. However, I've seen multiple weights listed from 1,200g to 1340g. I normally run dhr DH casings that weigh around 1,280 in 26x2.4 depending on compound. If you search youtube someone said the dh34 tire they bought came in 40g less than stated so I'm assuming 1300g in 27x2.4 magix compound. Hopefully pb and vital do reviews soon and set the record straight on weights for the magix and park. It's hard for me to see the park being way lighter based simply on a harder compound. Maybe the casing is different too?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    98
    yay! my tires are out of quarantine! I get them on Monday.

    I'll try to take a spin through Lisa Killough the week after (or after), I can't imagine a better test than loose gravel and dust with off camber turns? Unless it's best to do what the MFG said to do, which is hit hard rocks and ground.

    Heck, I'll do both eventually

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    98
    BTW, deal or not, I bought from here:

    https://www.starbike.com/en/michelin...ired-tire-tlr/

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mr_manny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    453
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    104
    Got mine a week ago

    Michelin DH-34 tires-cc9e2370-0be9-4f16-b26a-5950e3f3f760.jpg

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mr_manny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by Camstyn View Post
    Got mine a week ago
    Would you recommend them for all mountain?

    Have you had a chance to try them yet?
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    98
    Awesome. Mine were supposed to arrive today. No tires yet. Címon usps!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ocnLogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by Camstyn View Post
    Got mine a week ago

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC9E2370-0BE9-4F16-B26A-5950E3F3F760.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	315.7 KB 
ID:	1340175
    I'll be honest here.

    Usually I find loud company logos kind of obnoxious.

    But for whatever reason (either your bike, or the logos, not sure), they're working for me.

    Curious to hear your thoughts after a few proper rides.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,460
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    I'll be honest here.

    Usually I find loud company logos kind of obnoxious.

    But for whatever reason (either your bike, or the logos, not sure), they're working for me.

    Curious to hear your thoughts after a few proper rides.
    I had the same thought.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mr_manny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    453
    Ordered the DH-34 Bike Park model today.
    Will be a while before I can provide any feedback...as I have to build my bike first
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    98
    I have to wait too. My tires are in no-mans land between customs and USPS delivery. Supposed to be here on the 8th but who knows when they show up.

    I hope tomorrow or Friday, I wanted to ride them on Saturday!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mr_manny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    453
    Got a reply from the folks at www.bike-components.de (which is where I actually ordered mine).

    "All colleagues who tried them out were impressed and quiet happy with them. So definitely worth a try"

    FWIW
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mr_manny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbitt View Post
    I have to wait too. My tires are in no-mans land between customs and USPS delivery. Supposed to be here on the 8th but who knows when they show up.
    Whiterabbitt,
    Did they arrive?
    Looks like my order is back-ordered...don't expect them until end of July
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    98
    Still stuck in ďinbound from customsĒ

    Internet says when I get stuck in this loop Iíll get the parts 12 days late with no updates from the tracking system. Pre coronavirus delay adders. They cleared customs on the 4th

    Contacted the post office, but hopefully they come in soon....



    ------------------------------------------

    6-30 Update: Lordy, what a wait! 24 days in customs, they left New York on the 28th and are finally percolating through USPS to get to CA.

    Beware ordering anything internationally, the customs wait is brutal.
    Last edited by Whiterabbitt; 1 Week Ago at 01:42 PM.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    98
    I ordered them just before Memorial Day. They arrived today. be aware, anything that passes customs in NYC is a month away.



    Arrived one day before a 5 day family camping trip. No chance to ride until next week.

    First impressions riding at my house though:

    1. My yard is mulch-land. My old tires roll right over this. These tires pick up all sorts of mulch and throw it all over the place. Crazy levels of grip, there. It's like putting racing slicks on your car then driving through a parking lot, you throw up gravel behind you like a rooster tail.

    2. My old tires, I would turn on the street and could lean over far enough that the rear would squirt out from under me and I'd flop over like a wet noodle. These tires DO NOT LOSE GRIP. I can't lean over far enough to lose traction. I just turn. Rapidly. I could lean over harder at speed, but I'm not gonna do that in shorts and a t-shirt in front of my house on the pavement.

    3. I run tubes, but at 17-ish psi, they feel like they are at way higher pressure. The material in these tires is STIFF! I bet I could run 12 PSI or less without danger to pinch flatting. I'll probably experiment with lower pressures after my first ride next Saturday.

    4. The graphics are goofy. But they could be alot worse. They wash out the green on my rear triangle and make it look yellow. Purely vanity.

    5. I forgot to weigh them, but they are 26" tires. I think they weigh less than some XC 29" tires

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbitt View Post
    I ordered them just before Memorial Day. They arrived today. be aware, anything that passes customs in NYC is a month away.



    Arrived one day before a 5 day family camping trip. No chance to ride until next week.

    First impressions riding at my house though:

    1. My yard is mulch-land. My old tires roll right over this. These tires pick up all sorts of mulch and throw it all over the place. Crazy levels of grip, there. It's like putting racing slicks on your car then driving through a parking lot, you throw up gravel behind you like a rooster tail.

    2. My old tires, I would turn on the street and could lean over far enough that the rear would squirt out from under me and I'd flop over like a wet noodle. These tires DO NOT LOSE GRIP. I can't lean over far enough to lose traction. I just turn. Rapidly. I could lean over harder at speed, but I'm not gonna do that in shorts and a t-shirt in front of my house on the pavement.

    3. I run tubes, but at 17-ish psi, they feel like they are at way higher pressure. The material in these tires is STIFF! I bet I could run 12 PSI or less without danger to pinch flatting. I'll probably experiment with lower pressures after my first ride next Saturday.

    4. The graphics are goofy. But they could be alot worse. They wash out the green on my rear triangle and make it look yellow. Purely vanity.

    5. I forgot to weigh them, but they are 26" tires. I think they weigh less than some XC 29" tires
    Lol

    Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    681
    As far as the weight goes lets keep in mind. When the Comp 32 and 24 were the go to tires the Comp 32 in a 26"x2.8 were around 1400gr and we used a 400gr tube on a 650-700gr rim.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    As far as the weight goes lets keep in mind. When the Comp 32 and 24 were the go to tires the Comp 32 in a 26"x2.8 were around 1400gr and we used a 400gr tube on a 650-700gr rim.
    Yep. Tubeless DH is so much nicer. Honestly, there's little that's changed over the years with DH casings in regards to weight. 1.4kg is where any proper DH casing would sit now in a full 26x2.8 size. That's just a lot of rubber. 650b is only 25mm bigger adding around 40g. Folding DH casings will cut around 100g, but most of today's DH tires are wire so there's really little difference in weight compared to 15+ years ago. When I saw the original posted weight of 1.2kg for 26x2.4 in a soft compound, I assumed it would have to be folding to achieve that light weight. While I've yet to see a verified weight, it sounds like 26x2.4 will come in at 1.3kg which is par for the course now, and 15 years ago.

  29. #29
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    33,472
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    As far as the weight goes lets keep in mind. When the Comp 32 and 24 were the go to tires the Comp 32 in a 26"x2.8 were around 1400gr and we used a 400gr tube on a 650-700gr rim.
    You sure about that part?, it seems way heavier than what I was running. Maybe more like 500-600 or so?

    In case, I wouldn't say the Comp 32s were a "go to", it was more like a short experiment where we figured out that too wide was slow, just like the Gazzis and Arrow 3.0 DH tires. The Comp 24.1 was just too soft to run more than a few days IME. Tires from Intense and Maxxis quickly overshadowed these and the Michelin tires faded into obscurity pretty fast.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    You sure about that part?, it seems way heavier than what I was running. Maybe more like 500-600 or so?

    In case, I wouldn't say the Comp 32s were a "go to", it was more like a short experiment where we figured out that too wide was slow, just like the Gazzis and Arrow 3.0 DH tires. The Comp 24.1 was just too soft to run more than a few days IME. Tires from Intense and Maxxis quickly overshadowed these and the Michelin tires faded into obscurity pretty fast.
    I think my sun mammoths were well over 700g. I mostly ran sun ryno lite's though which were 510g I believe. They were not daily driver DH rims though. I remember there being a few 700g+ rims, mostly sun ringle. The double track was like 800g! Mavic had some real heavy options too. For the 1% emulating bender, they actually needed such heavy rims.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    98
    well I should apologize, since I didn't weigh them before installation. And they were painful to install, so I'm not taking them off.

    But they definitely don't fold. shipped from Germany, and I could have fit a spare tire for a prius in the box they arrived in.

Similar Threads

  1. Michelin DH 24 and DH 16 backwards?
    By mtnbikevic in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 09-03-2010, 10:22 AM
  2. Michelin DH tires on a SS - too much?
    By JP1 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 09:39 PM
  3. Michelin DH tires? where can I get them?
    By freeriderB in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 04:29 PM
  4. Michelin DH 24 A/T Tires - what direction?
    By rug wheelie in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 11:37 PM
  5. Will Michelin DH work as tubeless on Crossmax XL?
    By BanzaiRider in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 11:52 AM

Members who have read this thread: 89

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.