mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Mezcal vs Rocket Ron

I've run Mezcals 2.25 for the past 3 seasons and like them. I see no need to change other than weight.

I tried a set of Forekasters out and really did not like the way they felt. I ride mainly in New England so was hoping the Forekaster would shed some some of the wetter soil we have better than the Mezcal, but what I found was it ran so much slower than the Mezcals.

Just looking at the tread of the RR, they looks like they would run slower than the Forekaster, but at 1/4lb or less weight I wonder if that would balance things our over 50+mi races.

Thanks if you have any real world experience with both.

I'm running these on an Ibis Ripley with I9 24h wheels (23id)

Having a nice day!
    I'm a big fan of the Morsa...on the rear anyways. Good enough grip and rolls great. But I'm an even bigger fan of the Barzo. Rolls really well and much better grip. Running them F/R on my SS HT and they don't break traction that often. Not any lighter than the Mezcal though if I recall, so if weight reduction is the only goal, then disregard . The Peyote was surprisingly good as well. Can't remember what it weighs though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Morsa...on the rear anyways. Good enough grip and rolls great. But I'm an even bigger fan of the Barzo. Rolls really well and much better grip. Running them F/R on my SS HT and they don't break traction that often. Not any lighter than the Mezcal though if I recall, so if weight reduction is the only goal, then disregard . The Peyote was surprisingly good as well. Can't remember what it weighs though.
    Thanks. This is strictly for distance -- sometimes needing speed, sometimes not-- so rolling resistance is paramount. weight is kinda secondary which is why I used the Mezcals for so long, but at speed on single track they are not really that grippy in the looser soil we have in New England, but I manage.

I need to replace them over the winter with is why I am poking around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    RR rolls as fast as the new faster G+ mezcals:
    They are definitely not built as tough which is why they are lighter.
    https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I found the Vittoria tires not durable-only tires that I have had to toss after a cut in the last five years are a Barzo and mezcal. Maybe just bad luck.

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    I found the Vittoria tires not durable-only tires that I have had to toss after a cut in the last five years are a Barzo and mezcal. Maybe just bad luck.
    I've had great luck with a TNT Barzo 2.35 as a front tire only. Can't speak for the Mezcal, but no durability issues with the Barzo....excellent grip and low rolling resistance.
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 C-dale Rush
    99 GT XCR

Having a nice day!
    I had to toss two Barzos after a puncture and a sidewall tear. The puncture was just bad luck and the tear was at Bentonville, and the locals riding by while I fixed it told me the Ledges section was notorious for tearing tires, so I chalk it up to just paying my dues. My other Barzos and Mezcals have been troublefree. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Just punctured two Mezcals this weekend. Front sealed up but the rear was too big to seal. Took it to the nearest bike shop to get a tube and the guy told me he had a few people come in with punctured Mezcals. Think I am gonna look elsewhere for tires.