mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mercury x3 enduro wheels

anyone running them? cant seem to find reviews, they seem to be on special on most bike sites ~$500

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    All I can say is I called them up and had phone conversation with them after I saw
    Amanda Batty pro downhill mountain biker singed a deal to ride Mercury wheels over Enve It was funny the guy said if she canít*destroy the wheel sets we think you will love it.
    He asked me to try the X1 and call him after a few weeks of riding and let him know my thoughts. I say the ride is just as good or maybe even better knowing the the guy next door to me spent $3,500 for his wheel set. Because lets all get real for a minute, are we pros. I love my set and would tell anyone to look at them or call and talk to the guys at Mercury

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Interested in any feedback as well, I just took the plunge on a set to get within budget on build (XC) once I ride them I will put up a review. Only thing I am worried about is I could find very little info on hub engagement. I normally ride I9s and it is hard to go back sometimes
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    I bought a pair from Backcountry.com, and after riding them for 3 weeks I am sending them back. Stiffness and ride quality was great, but tubeless setup was a nightmare (issues seating a Hans Dampf, Morsa, and High Roller II) requiring multiple trips to shops to use their compressors. Both the Morsa and the HRII burped repeatedly on the back, to the point that I don't trust them for aggressive riding.

On a side note, the customer service from Backcountry.com has been amazing. Would totally recommend them for bike-related purchases.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have two sets of the Mercury x1 XC wheels, aluminum. They are decent, light and roll well, would prefer faster engaging hubs, but at less than $350 a set delivered and under 1550 grams I cannot complain. My only issue is they are a nightmare to setup tubeless. Both Kenda and Schwabes were beyond tough. I figure an hour a wheel on the third attempt. I broke three tire levers working the tires over the rims, and had to up the pressure so high to get them to seat that I blew out the rim tape. After a lot of cursing I got them to work. Just an FYI I have a set of older carbon Eastons that are setup tubeless, no problem, and a set of stans downhill wheels that took about 5 minutes to setup tubeless.

I would recommend them for light weight good rolling wheels. I have a couple of hundred single track miles on mine and they have stayed true. At a hundred miles I got a weird squeak (ended up being a dust seal) and repacked them, no problem and repacking was super simple.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Joef777 View Post
    I have two sets of the Mercury x1 XC wheels, aluminum. They are decent, light and roll well, would prefer faster engaging hubs, but at less than $350 a set delivered and under 1550 grams I cannot complain. My only issue is they are a nightmare to setup tubeless. Both Kenda and Schwabes were beyond tough. I figure an hour a wheel on the third attempt. I broke three tire levers working the tires over the rims, and had to up the pressure so high to get them to seat that I blew out the rim tape. After a lot of cursing I got them to work. Just an FYI I have a set of older carbon Eastons that are setup tubeless, no problem, and a set of stans downhill wheels that took about 5 minutes to setup tubeless.

I would recommend them for light weight good rolling wheels. I have a couple of hundred single track miles on mine and they have stayed true. At a hundred miles I got a weird squeak (ended up being a dust seal) and repacked them, no problem and repacking was super simple.
    Interesting. I had about the exact opposite experience with tubeless setup. The X3 Enduro was literally the worst wheel I have ever dealt with for tubeless, so bad that I sent them back. I tried Shwalbe Hans Dampf, Maxxis High Roller II, and Vittoria Morsa tires, and all three were very difficult to get seated due to a loose fit. On the rear, I had burping issues with the HRII and Morsa. I was bummed, because the wheels were nice and stiff, and a great price, but burping tires scare me and I swapped them out for a set of the new Stan's Flow MK3. As always, the Stan's wheels set up quickly and easily with a floor pump, and have been burp free so far (with the exact same tires).

To their credit, when I called Mercury they were super-responsive and they said that they usually had the opposite problem with tubeless setup. Also, major props to Backcountry.com for their excellent customer support in helping me deal with the issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Price now down to ~$300.

Anybody find good tires that work well with this wheelset?

Sealing issues one off, or a common theme?

Seems like a great deal, but not worth dealing with burping and painful setup. I usually run Maxxis HR 2.3 or 2.4/Maxxis Minion 2.3 or 2.4.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Update

Quote Originally Posted by cakemonster View Post
    Price now down to ~$300.

Anybody find good tires that work well with this wheelset?

Sealing issues one off, or a common theme?

Seems like a great deal, but not worth dealing with burping and painful setup. I usually run Maxxis HR 2.3 or 2.4/Maxxis Minion 2.3 or 2.4.
    So what I ended up doing is using a STANS Tubeless kit for 26" wheels. This worked perfectly, Using the Stans kit allowed me to mount my Hans Dampf without an issue. Holds air well, no problems. No burps. This rims have a deep V type profile inside and I do not think that they are the best profile for using Gorilla tape and a home made setup. I would factor in the Stans kit to the cost of the wheelset. I would buy accordingly. The wheels have stayed true and still roll like new with a few hundred rocky NH miles on them

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    How many degrees engagement does the hub have? they seem to have left that important detail off their website

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chize View Post
    How many degrees engagement does the hub have? they seem to have left that important detail off their website
    <br>

Just got a set of X enduros off ebay cheap....took a chance. I pulled the XD driver since I wanted to know what was in there.&nbsp;I'm pretty sure the X enduro's use the same hubs as the X3's. I was pleasantly surprised to find 6 pawls and a 27 tooth ring. I counted 54 clicks rotating the driver one revolution, so the pawls must be offset with only 3 engaging at once.
    They came with Conti Mtn Kings already mounted tubeless and the seller didn't mention having any problems mounting them. I took off the Contis and mounted a set of Bonti XR4's w/o issue. I did use a compressor though. Sealed up fine with Orange Seal and holding air fine. Haven't had them on the trail yet; too wet. The X's have a different rim though, it's triangle shaped instead of the rounded X3. Not sure if they're different bead seat designs either. Can't wait to try them out!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    <br>
    They came with Conti Mtn Kings already mounted tubeless and the seller didn't mention having any problems mounting them.
    The seller probably didn't have any trouble mounting them cause they came already mounted. Backcountry / Competitive Cyclist was running some deals around BF where if you bought a new bike you could add on a set of 29er Mercury X Enduros mounted with 2.4 Continental Mountain King II's for next to nothing. I've seen a couple of deals on Ebay too and think that these sellers are just trying to get some cash out of their (almost) free set of wheels and tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    The seller probably didn't have any trouble mounting them cause they came already mounted. Backcountry / Competitive Cyclist was running some deals around BF where if you bought a new bike you could add on a set of 29er Mercury X Enduros mounted with 2.4 Continental Mountain King II's for next to nothing. I've seen a couple of deals on Ebay too and think that these sellers are just trying to get some cash out of their (almost) free set of wheels and tires.
    I doubt they set them up tubeless. Here's a bad pic of the hub.
    mercury x3 enduro wheels-20180122_182918.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I doubt they set them up tubeless.
    Well, I have a set that came that way from Backcountry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I stand corrected!

mtbr member
    Thread revival - any recent experiences with these? Price seems too good to be true, but the online reviews seems to be showing favorable results.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I know, old thread, but I bought a set on closeout. I have a Specialized Enduro 29 six one fatty or whatever they call it and I wanted to try 27.5 plus. I also have a YT Jeffsy and I felt like the stock rims on it are way too narrow, so I was certain I can use them for something. I really like the rims, only a couple of rides so not sure about durability, but the initial impression is positive. I tried 2.8 WTB Trail Blazer and a 2.4 High Roller 2 and both were no trouble getting to seat tubeless. I don't think I am going to like the Enduro as a plus bike, but I sure liked the rims on the YT much better. The stock 23mm internal are just too narrow for the HR2 2.4's, I had to keep way too much air in there, I was able to drop 5 psi by going to the 30mm and much happier. When landing jumps it felt like the tire was going to roll off with anything south of about 30 psi. So are these there own hubs or are they rebranded Novatech or Formula? Looking at their website the replacement freehub body looks a whole lot like DT Swiss 1900 series freehubs I have

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Haven't had any issues with my X's, but haven't ridden much either. Wettest year on record here for 2018 and trails were closed more than open.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Haven't had any issues with my X's, but haven't ridden much either. Wettest year on record here for 2018 and trails were closed more than open.
    Do you live in KY too, lol? I know here its been terrible!!!!! I had a little hero dirt for about 15 minutes a couple of weeks ago and I didn't know what to think

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Close, central Ohio. Not getting off to a good start this year either! Got snow and ice now and it's supposed to get stupid cold the next few days then warm up and rain some more. Might try to get a lap in today....