Thread: Mercury wheels?

NedwannaB

Mercury wheels?

Ran across these and checked their sites(home, IG and their x-posts etc) and seems to be a lot of road/tri/cross users haven't seen much on their mtn wheel sets. They seem comparable to RF Affects and e13 30mil wheel sets weight/spec but at a substantial savings at the moment. Will be used by 135# intermediate rider on varied terrain conditions.

https://mercurycycling.com/products/2018-x3-enduro

Anyone run these/or comment on build quality?

Thanks in advance.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    I bought the X3 Enduro wheelset from backcountry.com for $320 just before Xmas and have one ride on them. So far, so good.

I thought I had a defecting rear hub, but it turned out I pulled the end cap off when I removed the shipping protector thingy on the axle. Before I figured that out I emailed Mercury customer service and they emailed right back, admitting that the end cap fit is not as snug as it should be and are making a new rear axle...and would send me the new one when it was made. Anywho, once I realized the error, they mounted and felt great. So far so good! Considering used boost 29er wheelsets were often $200-$300, I was stoked on the price and expect to get what I paid for (hopefully more! Considering it's a $680+ wheelset OEM price).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The rims aren't hookless.

There is no info on the rear hub. No points of engagement. No weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Mercury seems to be the house brand for Backcountry / Competitive Cyclist. I got a pair of Enduro's (predecessor to the X3) a couple of years ago in a Black Friday deal (buy a new bike and get an extra wheelset pretty much for free). The ones I got were 29" x 30mm ID, weigh about 1900g for the set and have 54 point engagement on the rear hub.

I don't have any really detailed info, but they've done fine for the 1000 miles or so I've put on them.

NedwannaB
    Yeah that's where I've seen them. Engagement #'s seem good I think that's the same as upgrade kit for DT Swiss hubs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Star ratchets at 54t for DT. These may have pawls of some kind with little springs. There's no info readily available. Anyone who's blown through rear hubs would want to know the construction details. Sealed bearings for the front hub isn't a problem.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Star ratchets at 54t for DT. These may have pawls of some kind with little springs. There's no info readily available. Anyone who's blown through rear hubs would want to know the construction details. Sealed bearings for the front hub isn't a problem.
    You're 2 posts blurts sound kinda defensively critical. Not sure how much one could/should/would expect from a wheel set at the $280 price point! Just sayn

I've been getting more negatives with my inquiries about some decent Mavic wheel sets discounted @twice what these costs!