Thread: Maxxis WT?

mtbr member

Maxxis WT?

WT tires are for 30mm+ rims,would I get away with installing on a 29mm safely?

mtbr member
    Yeah no issues at all, I run WT's on my Nobl TR36's and those are 29mm internal. Both 29mm and 30mm will have the same tire profile, you start getting the heavier squared profile once you jump to a 35mm rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's kind of a question of how much sidewall protection you need for your terrain. Like if you have shale that cuts. If you need heavy sidewalls like many Maxxis models you won't need as wide a rim. Higher pressure.
    If you can run lighter more flexible sidewall tires you can go to a 2.6 tire on a wider rim. Lower pressure for a bigger footprint. Some of the Bontrager XR Teams like a 4 or 2 could work. 40mm for a 2.6. 35 for a 2.35. High volume very rounded profile tread designed for wide rims from the start. StacyTesting did the tire designs for Trek. And they last.

If this is your terrain and speed you could try lighter more flexible on wider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I run the 2.5WT with no issues on a 27 mm intrnal rim. Profile might be a little more rounded, but I canít really tell. On the trail I have no issues engaging the side knobs, I get much more traction than the 2.3 dhf it replaced, especially in off camber turns.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I've ran the aggressor 29x2.5wt on 26mm and 36mm rims. No issues on either. Unless you are a pro, you'll never notice the difference. Don't sweat the millimeters and put on the largest tire tour frame will fit.

+1 on the comment about using a different tire. If you don't need the heavy case on the Maxxis WT, get something lighter. I don't run the Aggressor WT or DHF WT any more. I've got with lighter casing tires and love it. I get better traction and less rolling weight. I'm not a weight weenie, but I dropped 1lbs off my bike with loosing the Maxxis tires. I went to 29+ (3 and 2.8) and still dropped the 1lbs. That's how heavy the Maxxis is.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies fella's,mucho appreciato bro's

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    It's kind of a question of how much sidewall protection you need for your terrain. Like if you have shale that cuts. If you need heavy sidewalls like many Maxxis models you won't need as wide a rim. Higher pressure.
    If you can run lighter more flexible sidewall tires you can go to a 2.6 tire on a wider rim. Lower pressure for a bigger footprint. Some of the Bontrager XR Teams like a 4 or 2 could work. 40mm for a 2.6. 35 for a 2.35. High volume very rounded profile tread designed for wide rims from the start. StacyTesting did the tire designs for Trek. And they last.

If this is your terrain and speed you could try lighter more flexible on wider.

OMG I fricken love that track man, its my all time favourite. I hear whispers that it might be back up in action at Xmas time fingers crossed

I am putting a Bonty XR4 2.4 on the bum(cos i have 2 brand new ones to burn) and looking at a 2.6 DHF on the nose for the summer season. Been running 2.3 Shorty/DHR2 over winter and liked them. I would like to see what slightly extra wider feet will feel like tho

Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    I've ran the aggressor 29x2.5wt on 26mm and 36mm rims. No issues on either. Unless you are a pro, you'll never notice the difference. Don't sweat the millimeters and put on the largest tire tour frame will fit.

+1 on the comment about using a different tire. If you don't need the heavy case on the Maxxis WT, get something lighter. I don't run the Aggressor WT or DHF WT any more. I've got with lighter casing tires and love it. I get better traction and less rolling weight. I'm not a weight weenie, but I dropped 1lbs off my bike with loosing the Maxxis tires. I went to 29+ (3 and 2.8) and still dropped the 1lbs. That's how heavy the Maxxis is.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    Weight doesn't bother me at all. I ride on a lot of rocky terrain and @ around 100kg all up i prefer peace of mind in tire protection over a pound or 2