KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017

Which Maxxis tire to match Ardent Race on the front?

Hi,

I've been riding Ardent Race 2.35 3C rear with XR4 2.4 TI front for my "gravel" setup (gravel, forest roads, a bit of pavement/singletrack). I think that Ardent Race is an amazing tire (grip, traction, braking behavior, rolling, etc). It never felt weak compared to the XR4 on the front (wet roots don't count). Unusually for Maxxis, it's a truly high volume tire, true to size. In fact the casing is wider than 2.4 XR4. And this is on 27mm id rims.

Now I'm thinking of moving it to the front for even faster setup. What should I do in the rear? Traditionally that would be Ikon. But now there are Aspen and Rekon Race in EXO. Both look tempting, despite only being 2.25.

What would you recommend? Ikon has an advantage of 2.35 casing, but I think it might be even wider than Ardent Race (from what I've read). Also Rekon Race looks to me like an improved Ikon. And Aspen somewhat reminds me of the old Monorail, which I like in 26" a lot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've not run the Rekon or Aspen, but if you're looking for a faster setup, I would be tempted to run AR front and rear. You could keep the fresher rubber up front and then rotate partially worn AR to the back.

mtbr member
    I've run the 2.35 AR before up front... paired up with either a Ikon 2.35 (for plenty of cush) or a 2.2 A.R which blows up pretty big ^^

Always wanted to try a 2.25 CrossMark outback... never got round to it =(

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Ive used the Ardent Race for a long time, but I have to admit I never thought about running it as a front tire. But if you think that would work, Id think about the 2.35 ikon on the back, or maybe the 2.25 for lighter weight. If you are running 29 wheels you could check out the Rekon Race as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If this is for a "gravel" setup (gravel, forest roads, a bit of pavement/singletrack), I'd run the 2.25 Rekon Race on the rear for sure. It's supposed to be faster rolling than the Ardent Race, Ikon, and Aspen. In fact, I'd pair it with an Aspen front. You'll be way faster rolling that what you are running now.

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    If this is for a "gravel" setup (gravel, forest roads, a bit of pavement/singletrack), I'd run the 2.25 Rekon Race on the rear for sure. It's supposed to be faster rolling than the Ardent Race, Ikon, and Aspen. In fact, I'd pair it with an Aspen front. You'll be way faster rolling that what you are running now.
    Will try. Thank you. I already have AR, so will just try it on the front. I only wish Rekon Race existed in 2.35. Roads here can be quite rough. But hope at least it's true to size.

Otherwise XR4 / AR is a great combination. I would not hesitate to use it on almost any trail. One thing that annoys me about XR4 (front) is how much noise it makes on pavement. And there are those ever leaking sidewalls, but it holds air. My other trail setup is DHF 2.5 front / SE4 2.4 rear, so I don't really need another set of aggressive tires.