mtbr member

Maxxis Rekon vs DHF ?

Looking at the tire options on a new bike purchase and the Maxxis DHF is a $65 add on option over the Rekon for the same sized tire.

That being the case, what would the advantage be of the more expensive tire? I did read a review or two that stated that said the Rekon was puncture prone but not sure if that is true and if there are any significant differences between the two. Others have said to run the DHF as a front tire, what is the deal??

Is dang happy!
    Rekon comes in a slightly larger 2.6" width and has smaller shorter lugs that roll better and is a much lighter tire. Good if you have wider rims and are bikepacking, adventure and trail riding. 2.5" Minion has taller lugs and more grip = slower up and faster down. If it is the 29X2.25 Rekons go for the Minions. If it is the 2.6 Rekons keep them. Also check and see if the Minions are 3C=extra sticky which is what you want for a front tire on most surfaces.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    DHF is extremely chunky and great for rowdy downhill sections. I have never washed out the front wheel with a DHF. Some people use it front and rear, but it was designed for the front. DHF = downhill front.

Rekon is more in the middle of the road. A great all,around tire. Most likely lighter weight and faster rolling. Still a fairly knobby tire relative to a pure “XC” tire.
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Rekon comes in a slightly larger 2.6" width and has smaller shorter lugs that roll better and is a much lighter tire. Good if you have wider rims and are bikepacking, adventure and trail riding. 2.5" Minion has taller lugs and more grip = slower up and faster down. If it is the 29X2.25 Rekons go for the Minions. If it is the 2.6 Rekons keep them. Also check and see if the Minions are 3C=extra sticky which is what you want for a front tire on most surfaces.
    Ok, I was mistaken about the price, the Minons are a $45 add on over the Rekons, per tire. Both options are 27.5 X 2.8 and they are both EXO/TR with i30 rims.

Not sure if I would benefit from the Minons or should just run the Minon on the front. I am not an aggressive rider by any means.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Run the DHF up front. You won’t regret it.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    It depends on what type of riding you do. Vastly different tires. I've had both tires as a rear tire in the 2.6 width. It sounds like you'd benefit more with the Rekon. Just make sure if its going on the rear to get the Dual compound or you'll be buying a new tire in no time as the lugs on the Rekon are not that large. Another tire to look at is the Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 WT which is just about out for purchase if you have a 27.5" or 29" wheel size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    In the 2.8 versions, the DHF up front and the Recon in the rear is a great combo. Great grip up front, and faster rolling in the rear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Loadnreturn View Post
    In the 2.8 versions, the DHF up front and the Recon in the rear is a great combo. Great grip up front, and faster rolling in the rear.
    This.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    DHF is very sticky tire, but also very draggy. The Rekon is faster rolling, but less grip. Which one you like depends on what you want the tires to do. Personally DHF is too heavy and draggy for me to want. A friend has one his 29er Enduro and loves it for grip, but the bike slower on pedally bits compared with his prior tires. I have a 2.6 Rekon that replaced a 2.35 Hans Dampf and like it better in the rear. Rolls much better, but has good grip given the larger size.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I just went through this very process. My 2017 Fuel EX-8 27.5+ came with Chupacabras which rolled fast but left something to be desired as far as grip. I am 54 and ride technical single track and trail here in upstate NY. I do pretty well for myself but wouldn't call myself an aggressive rider. I tried the DHF/DHR II combo 60 tpi. Amazing grip but riders in my group were pulling away from me on rides. I then went to DHF/Rekon. A bit faster but still felt the weight of the DHF on the climbs even though the grip was great. Recently went to Rekon/Rekon. Rekons are 120 tpi. Noticeably faster and didn't feel a huge drop off in traction/braking. I did notice I couldn't stand in the lowest gear during a climb as it would cause some spin out in the rear depending on the terrain. I just had to be in the next higher gear if I wanted to stand and mash climbing. I would rather have less weight to push up for climbs and less rolling resistance compared to beefier rubber for bombing down. I feel the Rekons are a nice combination/all around tire for how I ride.

mtbr member
    I have 2.6 forekaster in front to go with my 2.6 rekon in the back. I think it is a good combo of front tire that bites well, but also rolls well. The rear rekon seems to work well, but for this bike and what I ride I am not sure I want in front. For my other XC bikes I have 2.35 Ikon in front and the rekon is very much like a bigger Ikon both casing size and tread depth. The forekaster has much deep knobs and should grip the looser dry soil better. Good for cornering I am thinking. So more grip than Rekon, but not as much or as draggy or heavy as the DHF. These tires on my 5" trail bike.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Rekons are flimsy garbage. Easily punctured, fold over the rim unless they're at 40psi garbage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pbbreath View Post
    Rekons are flimsy garbage. Easily punctured, fold over the rim unless they're at 40psi garbage.
    Um... ok. I haven't found this to be true running at 12/14 psi.

mtbr member
    As some have rightly said, they are quite different tyres, so it will all depend on you and what/how you ride. Me personally love the Rekon rear/DHF front combo, it gives a faster rolling & lighter tyre in the rear with decent grip as a rear and then the DHF gives "ultimate" grip to avoid washing the front. If I was in your shoes, here';s what I would do, buy the bike "as is" with the Rekons, give them a go both front and rear, if it seems OK to you, then that's it, if it seems that maybe you'd like a bit more grip in the front, purchase a DHF yourself (they sell for about $65) and give it a go. If you like the Rekon/DHF setup, you now have a spare Rekon for when you wear the one you're currently using out.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Deviant
    I run Rekons front and rear (27.5x2.8) and feel no need to change them. Great tires. I ride mostly single track on Sandy/rooty surfaces that are often wet with short punchy climbs. With tires at this level of quality you're splitting hairs when it comes to performance and the average rider likely can't feel much difference. As far as durability I've had no flats yet but I rarely see sharp rocks. I do however have my share of sand spurs and other thorny vegetation to contend with.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaponized View Post
    I run Rekons front and rear (27.5x2.8) and feel no need to change them. Great tires. I ride mostly single track on Sandy/rooty surfaces that are often wet with short punchy climbs. With tires at this level of quality you're splitting hairs when it comes to performance and the average rider likely can't feel much difference. As far as durability I've had no flats yet but I rarely see sharp rocks. I do however have my share of sand spurs and other thorny vegetation to contend with.

I beg to differ. I ran 3C/DD Highroller IIs up front and replaced them with the 3C/EXO DHF. Both are massively grippy, high quality tires. And both of which provide much more grip than the Rekons. The DHF and Rekons are just vastly different tires. The difference between the HRIIs and DHF is very, very noticeable. The DHF does not want to let go. The HRIIs up front felt a little drifty in dry conditions. The only condition I found the HRIIs to provide more grip is when it's wet and damp. Otherwise, the DHF is an insanely grippy tire in almost all conditions.

My intention isn't to offend or brush my own ego, but if one can't feel the difference between 2 tires, one probably isn't riding fast enough to tell the difference. Heck, I feel a difference in grip between the 3C DHF and Magic Mary Addix Soft(DHF has more grip), and both compete directly against each other.

Having a grippy front tire provides that much more of a safety margin as well. Saving a front end washout is tough. Much more so in a fast rolling tire with tiny knobs. I've saved a few front end washouts with the DHF up front. I'm not confident I can save a front end washout with a 'lesser' tire than the DHF.

OP, you should try as many different tires as you can. But also figure out the type of riding you intend to do. XC racing? DHF may be a little heavy and draggy. Trail? DHF works. All-mountain/Enduro? DHF is the perfect candidate.

Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by almazing View Post
    I beg to differ. I ran 3C/DD Highroller IIs up front and replaced them with the 3C/EXO DHF. Both are massively grippy, high quality tires. And both of which provide much more grip than the Rekons. The DHF and Rekons are just vastly different tires. The difference between the HRIIs and DHF is very, very noticeable. The DHF does not want to let go. The HRIIs up front felt a little drifty in dry conditions. The only condition I found the HRIIs to provide more grip is when it's wet and damp. Otherwise, the DHF is an insanely grippy tire in almost all conditions.

My intention isn't to offend or brush my own ego, but if one can't feel the difference between 2 tires, one probably isn't riding fast enough to tell the difference. Heck, I feel a difference in grip between the 3C DHF and Magic Mary Addix Soft(DHF has more grip), and both compete directly against each other.

Having a grippy front tire provides that much more of a safety margin as well. Saving a front end washout is tough. Much more so in a fast rolling tire with tiny knobs. I've saved a few front end washouts with the DHF up front. I'm not confident I can save a front end washout with a 'lesser' tire than the DHF.

OP, you should try as many different tires as you can. But also figure out the type of riding you intend to do. XC racing? DHF may be a little heavy and draggy. Trail? DHF works. All-mountain/Enduro? DHF is the perfect candidate.
    I'm not trying to contradict anyone's post...just convey MY firsthand experience. I doubt we ride the same trails. Are you honestly going to sit there and tell me how my bike rides?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I'm not trying to contradict anyone's post...just convey MY firsthand experience. I doubt we ride the same trails. Are you honestly going to sit there and tell me how my bike rides?

Why are you trying to start an argument? I'm merely stating the fact that some tires grip better than others. If you're happy with your tires, then good for you.

Deviant
    Why are you trying to start an argument? I'm merely stating the fact that some tires grip better than others. If you're happy with your tires, then good for you.
    I'm starting an argument? I wasn't even talking to you in the first place. I was replying to the OP. Go hump someone else's freakin leg.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I'm starting an argument? I wasn't even talking to you in the first place. I was replying to the OP. Go hump someone else's freakin leg.

Real mature there pal. Some people have nothing better to do than troll on a forum.

Deviant
    Real mature there pal. Some people have nothing better to do than troll on a forum.
    Dude take your drama queen crap somewhere else and eat a snickers. You're being a diva over...nothing.

mtbr member
    My newest bike came with Rekons, and from my experiance, they are pretty dam good all around tires. No punctures or sidewall squirm. But...I always liked DHF's for their stupid good tracking and cornering traits. Removed the Rekons, and put some 2.8 DHF's on front and rear. I always end back up with dhf's. IMO, compared to the Rekons specifically, I dont notice the dhf's to be draggy at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wideawakejake View Post
    My newest bike came with Rekons, and from my experiance, they are pretty dam good all around tires. No punctures or sidewall squirm. But...I always liked DHF's for their stupid good tracking and cornering traits. Removed the Rekons, and put some 2.8 DHF's on front and rear. I always end back up with dhf's. IMO, compared to the Rekons specifically, I dont notice the dhf's to be draggy at all.
    Just wounding if these are a worthwhile option for me? I am an older rider who rides beginner and intermediate trails only and the cost difference is $45 per tire!

Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Just wounding if these are a worthwhile option for me? I am an older rider who rides beginner and intermediate trails only and the cost difference is $45 per tire!
    If this helps at all... There is virtually no downhill riding where I live. Mostly jungle type trails where during a 10 mile ride you're likely on the pedal cranking for 9.5 miles of it. The Punchy climbs and drops I see are rarely more than 20 to 50 ft. I simply don't see the types of downhill speeds where I would benefit from a downhill Tire up front, but given that I spend 99% of my time cranking I'm far more interested in less rolling resistance. Thus my choice of the Rekon up front. The Recon is not horrible by any stretch of the imagination for downhill stuff. It's an extremely good Tire. If I spent more time riding downhill and the speeds associated with it I would absolutely put a downhill Tire up front. Evaluate what YOU do on the trail and you'll have your answer.

mtbr member
    If this helps at all... There is virtually no downhill riding where I live. Mostly jungle type trails where during a 10 mile ride you're likely on the pedal cranking for 9.5 miles of it. The Punchy climbs and drops I see are rarely more than 20 to 50 ft. I simply don't see the types of downhill speeds where I would benefit from a downhill Tire up front, but given that I spend 99% of my time cranking I'm far more interested in less rolling resistance. Thus my choice of the Rekon up front. The Recon is not horrible by any stretch of the imagination for downhill stuff. It's an extremely good Tire. If I spent more time riding downhill and the speeds associated with it I would absolutely put a downhill Tire up front. Evaluate what YOU do on the trail and you'll have your answer.

I would consider myself a slow rider who is not very aggressive so I'm sure I would be fine with the Rekons but could run the Minon on the front but do not want to make my climbing more difficult although it would be hard to image the different tire would be discernible?

Deviant
    I would consider myself a slow rider who is not very aggressive so I'm sure I would be fine with the Rekons but could run the Minon on the front but do not want to make my climbing more difficult although it would be hard to image the different tire would be discernible?
    You probably need to ask that question to someone who rides the same terrain that you ride. The terrain I ride is essentially compact beach sand and it doesn't take much moisture for that sand to get really draggy on your tires, and it can often feel like you're riding on a sponge. Some say that DH tires increase rolling resistance but others don't feel it. I think that's largely because their experience with it is on two different types of terrain. You should probably talk to somebody that rides your area so you could compare apples to apples

mtbr member
    You probably need to ask that question to someone who rides the same terrain that you ride. The terrain I ride is essentially compact beach sand and it doesn't take much moisture for that sand to get really draggy on your tires, and it can often feel like you're riding on a sponge. Some say that DH tires increase rolling resistance but others don't feel it. I think that's largely because their experience with it is on two different types of terrain. You should probably talk to somebody that rides your area so you could compare apples to apples

Going to order a Guerilla Gravity from a adventure shop owner who happens to own a GG and he rides the same trails that I do so he will provide guidance and make recommendations as I order the bike and select all of the options and components.
    I will trust his judgement and recommendations.

mtbr member
    To me it was. DHF was draggy compared to my Rekon.

mtbr member
    Rickcin- i am 42 and dont have any problem spinning 2.8 dhf's up anything. Thats what gears and pedals are for. Like "weaponized" , i ride in FL. A place called Alafia. Pretty much no place like it anywhere. Old phosphate minning pits turned into a State Park. Very steep, short climbs, fast short drops, roots, rocks and lots of flow. Its hard on bikes and a good test for tires. Most people i see out there use lighter , faster tires. To each their own. I cant recomend the DHF's enough. There is are lots of good reasons why they are so popular for alot of differnt riding , and have not really changed for a long time. If you try them ,and do not like them, try something else. They arent real expensive compared to others, and you can always re sell em. I do also like the Rekons, and you cant go wrong with a dhf front and Rekon rear, or Rekon/Rekon. Good luck, and have fun.

Deviant
    Rickcin- i am 42 and dont have any problem spinning 2.8 dhf's up anything. Thats what gears and pedals are for. Like "weaponized" , i ride in FL. A place called Alafia. Pretty much no place like it anywhere. Old phosphate minning pits turned into a State Park. Very steep, short climbs, fast short drops, roots, rocks and lots of flow. Its hard on bikes and a good test for tires. Most people i see out there use lighter , faster tires. To each their own. I cant recomend the DHF's enough. There is are lots of good reasons why they are so popular for alot of differnt riding , and have not really changed for a long time. If you try them ,and do not like them, try something else. They arent real expensive compared to others, and you can always re sell em. I do also like the Rekons, and you cant go wrong with a dhf front and Rekon rear, or Rekon/Rekon. Good luck, and have fun.
    I'm up here in Northeast FL and haven't ridden Alafia yet. I went down and hit Santos for the first time 2 weeks ago. I might try to get down that way this month.

mtbr member
    I don't have an issue with the added cost or weight, my only concern would be the pedaling resistance and climbing effort.

From what I read, the Rekons have thinner sidewalks and are more prone to puncture so I would rather have a better tire, especially with a better grip but at what cost to pedaling effort. I guess that is almost impossible to quantify!

mtbr member
    The newer Rekons recieved a revision and now come with the Silk Shield addition if you want/need which gives a bit more protection to the casing, thereby beefing it up and making it more durable. You'll gain just over 100g over the regular 3C/EXO version, but I'd guess the rolling will be the same and you'll most likely be able to run slightly lower pressures because of the beefier casing. Just a bit of an FYI, I was worried when I got my Rekons, thought for sure our coral would eat them alive, hasn't happened yet, they have held up very well.

Rekon+ | Maxxis Tires USA

I don't have an issue with the added cost or weight, my only concern would be the pedaling resistance and climbing effort.

From what I read, the Rekons have thinner sidewalks and are more prone to puncture so I would rather have a better tire, especially with a better grip but at what cost to pedaling effort. I guess that is almost impossible to quantify!
    Maxxis Rekon vs DHF ?-rekon-specs.jpg
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    The newer Rekons recieved a revision and now come with the Silk Shield addition if you want/need which gives a bit more protection to the casing, thereby beefing it up and making it more durable. You'll gain just over 100g over the regular 3C/EXO version, but I'd guess the rolling will be the same and you'll most likely be able to run slightly lower pressures because of the beefier casing. Just a bit of an FYI, I was worried when I got my Rekons, thought for sure our coral would eat them alive, hasn't happened yet, they have held up very well.
    That is great information and somehow I would need to determine if GG will be using these new tires on my bike once I place the order. Perhaps they but tires in advance to have a stock and to circumvent price increases. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Just to echo some of the other reviewers. I've had a 2.6 Rekon dual compound on the front of my Yeti SB5 for about 500 miles. It has been a great tire. Not one puncture or flat. I run about 20psi on 30mm internal rims. My terrain has lots of rocks, roots etc. It's been to Coldwater mountain in Alabama which is one loose rock after another sharp rock. It has also been up to the NC mountains a few times as well as north Georgia trails like Stanley Gap and the Pinhotis many times. I don't often ride in wet conditions but have been caught twice in major downpours and the tire did surprisingly well. It of course won't corner like the DHF but it does have decent side lugs. It rolls very well. It is a very good trail tire. And for 500 miles has been very durable. I have an Ardent 2.4 dual compound on the back and has also been durable. I do believe the dual compound tires are more stiff and durable than the 3C Terras, just by experience and feel. They are a little heavier but still roll great. Tires are very personal but bottom line I will keep using the Rekon 2.6 dual.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spur11 View Post
    Just to echo some of the other reviewers. I've had a 2.6 Rekon dual compound on the front of my Yeti SB5 for about 500 miles. It has been a great tire. Not one puncture or flat. I run about 20psi on 30mm internal rims. My terrain has lots of rocks, roots etc. It's been to Coldwater mountain in Alabama which is one loose rock after another sharp rock. It has also been up to the NC mountains a few times as well as north Georgia trails like Stanley Gap and the Pinhotis many times. I don't often ride in wet conditions but have been caught twice in major downpours and the tire did surprisingly well. It of course won't corner like the DHF but it does have decent side lugs. It rolls very well. It is a very good trail tire. And for 500 miles has been very durable. I have an Ardent 2.4 dual compound on the back and has also been durable. I do believe the dual compound tires are more stiff and durable than the 3C Terras, just by experience and feel. They are a little heavier but still roll great. Tires are very personal but bottom line I will keep using the Rekon 2.6 dual.
    The Rekons ns n my bike will be 27.5 X 2.8's. I was told and read that Maxxis Mtn tires almost always are actually smaller than a he stated size.
    I am not an aggressive rider so I'm sure the Rekons would be fine however I will discuss this with the owner of the shop when placing the order. I know for certain this fellow runs 2.8 Maxxis tire on his Smash Guerilla Gravity bike,

Deviant
    The Rekons ns n my bike will be 27.5 X 2.8's. I was told and read that Maxxis Mtn tires almost always are actually smaller than a he stated size.
    I am not an aggressive rider so I'm sure the Rekons would be fine however I will discuss this with the owner of the shop when placing the order. I know for certain this fellow runs 2.8 Maxxis tire on his Smash Guerilla Gravity bike,
    My 2018 Yeti SB5+ was delivered with these tires. Likely for good reason. Mine don't have the SS designation so they're lighter but after 140 miles of some pretty brutal terrain they show virtually no wear or signs of stress. They're the 3C Maxx-Terra EXOs. Today was the first day I felt them being a little slippy on roots but it was 37 degrees out this morning and it rained like a bitch yesterday so everything was wet and the tires were caked with sticky mud. I already felt they were quite impressive when it was warmer but their cold weather performance was surprisingly good

mtbr member
    I used to have Rekons on my hardtail. They were 27.5x2.8” and measured about 2.6” wide at the casing with a slightly narrower tread width. That was on 40mm internal width rims. I loved the tires except they were too narrow for riding on sand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    I used to have Rekons on my hardtail. They were 27.5x2.8” and measured about 2.6” wide at the casing with a slightly narrower tread width. That was on 40mm internal width rims. I loved the tires except they were too narrow for riding on sand.
    Sand is a very different animal and I would guess these tires will work great for me at Carvins Cove in Virginia!

mtbr member
    Sand is a very different animal and I would guess these tires will work great for me at Carvins Cove in Virginia!
    I think so... for general trail riding they are great. Just were too narrow for me

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    What is the inner width of your rims you plan on slapping the 2.8 Rekons on? I tried one on a 30"mm inner width rim (35mm outer) that is 25mm high, and at 18-20 psi the casings still bulged out so much that the side knobs could not grip well. I was sliding all over the place when cornering at speed, but climbing straight up was good. I would have tried a 2.6 Rekon but I went the Nobby Nic 2.6 route instead.

On my other wheelset, I am running DHFs front & rear in a 2.5 width.

I would agree, DHF feels slower than the Rekon or Highroller II imo; YMMV.

mtbr member
    Got it, thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Staktup View Post
    What is the inner width of your rims you plan on slapping the 2.8 Rekons on? I tried one on a 30"mm inner width rim (35mm outer) that is 25mm high, and at 18-20 psi the casings still bulged out so much that the side knobs could not grip well. I was sliding all over the place when cornering at speed, but climbing straight up was good. I would have tried a 2.6 Rekon but I went the Nobby Nic 2.6 route instead.

I would agree, DHF feels slower than the Rekon or Highroller II imo; YMMV.
    Wow, I am really confused if this is the case! I have looked and read all over, including the Stans website to determine and learn the optimized tire/rim size and found that a i29 rim works best with a 2.35 to a 2.8 tire!

An i32 will accommodate a 2.5 to a 3.0 tire and this is right off the Stans website.

The wheels that the Rekon 2.8's come with on the wheel selector of the Guerilla Gravity web site are DT Swiss M 1900 that have an internal width of 30 mm. This is what I want since I could run less than a 2.8 tire if desired.

The next wheelset option is an i40 and that is really a wide rim and would only accommodate the plus tires.

I have Nobby Nics on my 29 er and they are wider than the Maxxis Tires of equal size so I am really surprised your tires do not work well with an i30 rim!!

You would think the manufacturer offering these packaged options would have done their research in order to offer the best possible combination of tires and rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Staktup View Post

I would agree, DHF feels slower than the Rekon or Highroller II imo; hYMMV.
    I went back to the GG website and just noticed that the rims for the plus sized tires ( Rekons 2.8) should be i35 rims!!

I also looked at a SC Tallboy build with the plus tires and that bike comes with i40 rims!

Bottom line is that I agree with you, a 30i rim is too narrow to run a 2.8 tire.

Trying to decide between a Santa Cruz Tallboy and a Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol but thanks for the heads up on the rim width!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ok, have tried them all and in different size combos. Main riding is aggressive trail/Enduro, sometimes more DH/FR oriented with lifts-which is a different story.
    the verdict is the following:
    1) General trail/eduro riding without extremely challenging traction conditions (wet soil/mud/sharp rocks) both ends 27.5x2.8 Recons with 60 tip+Huck Norris at least in the rear, or usually both ends, as prevents tire rim damage and also spreads the tire to keep it well seated and prevent folding/scwirm
    2) poor traction (wet soil/mud/grass/leaves/snow) either 27.5 of 29 2.5WT DHF/DHR or Agressor/Shorty with light casing to keep at least some reasonable pedalling efficiency and Huck Norris for protection
    3) sharp rocks and DH runs with lifts- same as #2 our with Max Grip and DD casing, which have great handling downhill but useless for peddling.

All above only tubeless.

Another point to note is suppleness and comfort, with 2.8 and skinny casing you never feel anything below the wheels, as they absorb every small detail and help to roll better. With thicker casing and smaller volumes tires become much more informative and bouncy / poorer rolling. With more DH casing, despite very soft compound and slow rebound tires transfer any tiny piece of gravel into your hands even with low pressures, therefore rolling is a huge problem, therefore pure DH applications with plenty of hand buzzz afterwards.

something in the middle was DHF/DHR 2.8, which provided excellent grip, also downhill, still very robust with inserts and not too heavy as well, therefore worth a try as well, but still an overkill for general trail riding, unless its very slippery/rocky.

Recons with 120tpi - better never try, I can probably rip the casing just with my hands, therefore 60 tpi is the only reasonable option.