mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Maxxis recommendations DHF/DHR2/Aggressor, widths, 27.5"/30mm rims, wooden trails

Hi mtbr guys!
    I already read hundreds of threads comparing all relevant Maxxis models. The HR2 2.4s on my Jeffsy 27 begin to show some heavy wear on the edges of the knobs which made me think about what to get next.

I'm almost exclusively riding the trails in my home (woods of Rhineland-Palatine in Germany), which means mostly "loose over hard" I guess, namely leafs and wooden debris on stone, roots and sometimes sandy forest grounds. Most tours I do in the realm of 10-20km/250-500hm, no bikepark/lift. I'm in principle happy with the Highrollers, but hope to optimize my riding experience even further. I love the "on rails" feeling they give me when cornering on the sides (awesome squared compared to the XC-ish Kenda tires on my Orbea hardtail that I now only use for touring with wife and kid) but really had some problems here and there with washing out of the front tire in technical sections. Especially in steeper switchbacks with sandy ground. I'm not saying it's only the fault of the tire, but I'm not having problems when cornering fast (will also do my first MTB-technique course next month).

As I'm not really able to ride and train more than say 1h a week on average, I'm also a little bit hesitant to put on the potentially draggy WT tires especially on the back. Thus, I'm very interested in the practical experience of you guys that can really speak about the real world differences of the setups. I have DT Swiss M1900 30mm rims btw. For simplicity of choice and looks I'm only considering Maxxis.

My preselection so far:
    Front tire:
    DHF 3C MaxTerra in 2.3/WT 2.5
    DHR2 3C MaxTerra in 2.3/WT 2.4
    (tendency DHF WT, DHR2 WT second place)
    Rear tire:
    DHR2 Dual 2.3/WT 2.4
    Aggressor Dual 2.3/WT 2.5
    (tendency DHR2 2.3, Aggressor WT second place)

Thank you for helping me with your knowledge!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Riding in simmilar terrain you descibe, happy with DHF 3C MaxTerra 2.3 and Agressor 2.3 in the back (faster than DHR2 2.3 i had before).
    I have 25mm rims, so WT is not my thing, in your place maybe go DHF WT front, Agressor without WT in the back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The terrain you described isn't really a good fit for the DHF or the Aggressor. Both of these tires have a higher land/ sea ratio meaning they put a lot of rubber on the ground. This works great in hard pack and large rocks, but doesn't dig in which is what you need.

I'd go with a Schwalbe Magic Mary (rolls killer and really bites in loose grass/ sand/ bark) up front and the newest Hans Dampf up front. They are very good tires for looser conditions, and I assume being in Germany you can purchase them at a more reasonable price than we get here in the States.

Based on what you described, if I had to have Maxxis, Probably a Shortie up front and a DHRII in the rear.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfree View Post
    Riding in simmilar terrain you descibe, happy with DHF 3C MaxTerra 2.3 and Agressor 2.3 in the back (faster than DHR2 2.3 i had before).
    I have 25mm rims, so WT is not my thing, in your place maybe go DHF WT front, Agressor without WT in the back.
    Slower speeds and not too techy I would go with a Hans front, Nic rear if itís not really rocky. The Minions and Aggressor are more suited for higher wear areas IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    If you like the High rollers, any one of the choices you gave will be good. The HRs are more drifty than those selections. My favorites are dhf & Agressor in dry dhr2 front and rear wet.

Keep on Rockin...
    Something to keep in mind about the HR...

Consider it an alternate tire for the DHF/DHR2 for when trails get sticky. The HRs primary benefit over those two tires is that due to its more open tread design it resists "packing", or filling with sticky mud. Short of those sticky conditions the DHF/R combo will perform better in every other aspect, including cornering and rolling resistance.

IMO.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    If you like the High rollers, any one of the choices you gave will be good. The HRs are more drifty than those selections. My favorites are dhf & Agressor in dry dhr2 front and rear wet.
    The above are my fav combos, unless Iím in the Midwest. 2.3 on my trail bike and 2.5 on my AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Given the profile I would assume (with my limited knowledge that) the DHR2 could also be slightly drifty in the front compared to the DHR; this is what I want to get rid of with the HR2. Also, with 30mm rims are 2.3 tires really helpful for rolling resistance or is the tradeoff worse because the slightly bigger but also more rounded WT tires give a better profile?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by edeltoaster View Post
    Given the profile I would assume (with my limited knowledge that) the DHR2 could also be slightly drifty in the front compared to the DHR; this is what I want to get rid of with the HR2. Also, with 30mm rims are 2.3 tires really helpful for rolling resistance or is the tradeoff worse because the slightly bigger but also more rounded WT tires give a better profile?
    On a 30i rim the 2.5 DHF is drifts more since it takes more lean angle to engage the side nobs, . The 2.4 DHR2 is better suited for 30i. I find them to grip very well, The 2.3 tires are not suited for 30i and you're almost riding the side knobs going strait.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    DHRIIs don't lean very well at all. It's a straight up and down tire. It works well for heavy front braking but that's about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    The 2.3 tires are not suited for 30i and you're almost riding the side knobs going strait.
    Is it so bad? I would guess many people use them in that scenario. I would have hoped to shed a little bit of weight and rolling resistance in the back. But I think, also from some input of other Germans, DHR2 WT 2.4 3C front and DHR2 WT 2.4 or 2.3 as dual compound would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by edeltoaster View Post
    Is it so bad? I would guess many people use them in that scenario. I would have hoped to shed a little bit of weight and rolling resistance in the back. But I think, also from some input of other Germans, DHR2 WT 2.4 3C front and DHR2 WT 2.4 or 2.3 as dual compound would be awesome.
    In the rear isnt so bad, but the front yoi can lean past the side knobs.