Maxxis Minions WT or no WT?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Maxxis Minions WT or no WT?

Did anyone use a DHF 2.3" front with a DHR II 2.3 rear and change them to DHF 2.5" WT front with a DHR II 2.4 WT rear?

Can you please share thoughts about:
    - rolling resistance?
    - pedalling efficiency?
    - is the bike noticeably heavier when going uphill?
    - noticeably better on turns?
    - other cons/pros?

Thanks, Mo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Yes I have done just that. Below are my thoughts

- rolling resistance? - same
    - pedalling efficiency? same
    - is the bike noticeably heavier when going uphill? no
    - noticeably better on turns? no
    - other cons/pros? buy the tire that fits your rims best. A wide tire on a wide rim is great. A wide tire on a narrow rim sucks.

Most noticeable is the wider tires have much less trail chatter and slip less on wet roots due to lower pressures. You can maybe run 1-2.psi less on the 2.5s and keep the same rolling resistance imo.

Elitest thrill junkie
    A little while back I was going to try and run a more "trail" setup, so I got a 2.5x27.5 DHF minion for my i30 front rim. I had a lot of trouble rolling the tire onto-edge. It just wouldn't go and it was a strange sensation. That really slowed me down in corners. I put the tire on the back, got an interim front tire, the problem was solved for the moment. I eventually got a 2.5wt for the front, problem fixed. Back in the day, we used to run some pretty wide tires, but the rims were never all that wide with a couple exceptions. This was an interesting wake-up call. I've been running some other tires on this rig that worked ok, but when I tried to go back to my gold-standard minions, it backfired with the DHF not being a WT. With I-30, WT feels perfect.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    Did anyone use a DHF 2.3" front with a DHR II 2.3 rear and change them to DHF 2.5" WT front with a DHR II 2.4 WT rear?

Can you please share thoughts about:
    - rolling resistance?
    - pedalling efficiency?
    - is the bike noticeably heavier when going uphill?
    - noticeably better on turns?
    - other cons/pros?

Thanks, Mo.
    What size wheel and how tall are you?

On a 29er I went the other way, 2.5 to a 2.3. I found the wider tire sluggish in the turns and I like the way I can slash with the narrower tire. I am only 5'8" so may not have enough leverage to slash a 29er. This was on 30mm internal rims.

On a 27.5 I like 2.6/2.5 tires. Anything narrower and the bike feels squirrelly to me. The wider tires adds stability to the bike. This was on 35mm internal rims.

Judging from jayem response this maybe a ymmv.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    What size wheel and how tall are you?

On a 29er I went the other way, 2.5 to a 2.3. I found the wider tire sluggish in the turns and I like the way I can slash with the narrower tire. I am only 5'8" so may not have enough leverage to slash a 29er. This was on 30mm internal rims.
    I had a 29er enduro with minion 2.5s too, that was very sluggish. I wasn't traction/turn limited by the tread like above, but the gyroscopic stability was a major issue. I too would have a hard time going more than 2.3-ish on a 29er, save for extremely unique circumstances, like some park days, but even at the park, when I was going for speed (racing), the skinnier was better on the 29. Those rims were a bit narrower though, so maybe it didn't come into play as far as the WT requirement. i30 on my 27.5 definitely did.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for your replies guys!

I'm 5'8", 29er bike, 29mm internal rims.

Ratt & Jayem - after reading your reply I'v decided to stay with the 2.3" tires, I guess these are the better option for me (and will save me a little weight too )