Maxxis minion 29 X 2.4WT on 30mm internal rim- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Maxxis minion 29 X 2.4WT on 30mm internal rim

Anyone running this setup? Can fill us in on what the width is once mounted?

mtbr member
    Was going to tell you this size did not exists, but just checked Maxxis' site and seems they do offer it on the DHR2. From reports I've read, the WT casings were actually measuring out narrower than the normal casings, hence why maybe Maxxis bumped the casing size up. Can't offer anything more than that, interested to hear if anyone else has more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Was going to tell you this size did not exists, but just checked Maxxis' site and seems they do offer it on the DHR2. From reports I've read, the WT casings were actually measuring out narrower than the normal casings, hence why maybe Maxxis bumped the casing size up. Can't offer anything more than that, interested to hear if anyone else has more info.
    Took me a while to find it also. Must have checked the site three or four times before I pulled my head out of my ass and looked at the dhr2. I've seen a couple guys running it and looks awfully beefy. Unfortunately, none of them have provided measurements...

Looks like a hell of a tire if it's wide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My only experience is with the 27.5 version on same size rim and the 2.4 DHR2 appears to be about the same size as the WTB Vigilante 2.3 it replaces. I don't have a caliper for actual measurements.

mtbr member
    Here is a pic of the 27.5x2.4 DHR2 on an i30 rim (when it was new). I didn't measure it but it's got a nice profile. I've been running it F+R for a few months, coming off the 2.3 DHF/DHR2 combo most recently. I like it. I'd assume the 29x2.4 is similar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Here's a DHR 29 x 2.4 freshly mounted on an i29 rim

Maxxis minion 29 X 2.4WT on 30mm internal rim-maxxis-dhr-ii-2.4-3c-wt-wtb-i29.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Did you feel like the 2.4 rolled slower because of the extra weight as compared to the 2.3?

mtbr member
    I hadn't looked at weight initially when I went looking after reading the OPs question about these tyres, but went back and looked at them again and noticed the HUGE weight increase for a 0.1" increase in width and cannot figure out HTF the weight increase so much for that tiny a width gain. Was looking at them again as our dealer had put in an order for the 2.3" normal version and was thinking about asking him to switch since most are moving to wider rims and like bigger tyres, but once I saw the big weight increase for the little increase in actual size I knew the guys would not go for it and didn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Did you feel like the 2.4 rolled slower because of the extra weight as compared to the 2.3?
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Here is a couple shots of my 29x 2.4 WT DHR2 on 30 mm ID Carbon wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Weight increase due to higher profile? Interested what the diameter of tire is relative to the 2.3.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm curious if the knobs gained some height/size or what's happened, because from their specs it gains 3mm in casing width (61mm vs 58mm), but gains 100g for that little increase

Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Weight increase due to higher profile? Interested what the diameter of tire is relative to the 2.3.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    wow. not as wide as I thought they'd be. Looks like I'll go for the 2.5 instead...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thank you for the pictures, not as wide as some of the pictures led me to believe they'd be.

mtbr member
    I have a 2.4 ardent on the rear. It's almost as wide as the ardent. The sidewall is thicker than the ardent. It grips like glue for me on the Pennsylvania clay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've got the 2.5 DHF on a 29x30mm rim and it runs pretty true to size. Love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Wow. those knobs look a bit bigger than my DHR2 2.3
    Maybe that's where all the weight went to
    Looks like it'll really grip well on anything. Looks like a fantastic front tire. Maybe a 2.4 WT up front and 2.3 on the rear would be perfect for AM use. I mostly use my 2.3 DHR2/Minion SS for AM on my typical route which has about 6 miles up and 6 miles down, lots of loose over hard and lots of chunder. I've been using the 2.35 Ikons and they were really good tires but they washed out on some soft shoulders a few times. The supported lugs of the DHR2 grip a lot better when it's loose and I no longer hear the pinging of the lugs anymore. I can definitely feel the drag of the DHR2 versus Ikon going up and it kinda sucks but having that extra safety on corners and extra braking traction on the steep is worth it. 2.4 WT seems like something I want but I don't know if it just overkill. 100g in the front isn't too bad but it's still rolling resistance. 2.4 DHR2 Front and 2.4 Ardent rear might be a nice combo. Even a 2.35 Ikon in the rear might be a good combo. The minion SS is pretty good but still unsure about how square the tire is on my 30mm ID. I like to run 25-26psi in the rear. So many choices, so much fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Wow. those knobs look a bit bigger than my DHR2 2.3
    Maybe that's where all the weight went to
    Looks like it'll really grip well on anything. Looks like a fantastic front tire. Maybe a 2.4 WT up front and 2.3 on the rear would be perfect for AM use. I mostly use my 2.3 DHR2/Minion SS for AM on my typical route which has about 6 miles up and 6 miles down, lots of loose over hard and lots of chunder. I've been using the 2.35 Ikons and they were really good tires but they washed out on some soft shoulders a few times. The supported lugs of the DHR2 grip a lot better when it's loose and I no longer hear the pinging of the lugs anymore. I can definitely feel the drag of the DHR2 versus Ikon going up and it kinda sucks but having that extra safety on corners and extra braking traction on the steep is worth it. 2.4 WT seems like something I want but I don't know if it just overkill. 100g in the front isn't too bad but it's still rolling resistance. 2.4 DHR2 Front and 2.4 Ardent rear might be a nice combo. Even a 2.35 Ikon in the rear might be a good combo. The minion SS is pretty good but still unsure about how square the tire is on my 30mm ID. I like to run 25-26psi in the rear. So many choices, so much fun.
    I am using it as a front tire and the ardent 2.4 out back on my 30mm ID carbon wheels for my local enduro racing. The grip is amazing and really helping me take corners faster. Depending on the terrain I am running 21-24 psi front and 24-28 rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh View Post
    Here's a DHR 29 x 2.4 freshly mounted on an i29 rim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maxxis DHR II 2.4 3C WT on WTB i29.jpg 
Views:	3750 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	1068229
    Measured them again after having them mounted for a while andgoing for a few rides and the tread at the widest point is now a full 2.4.

Maxxis minion 29 X 2.4WT on 30mm internal rim-maxxis-dhr-ii-2.4-3c-wt-wtb-i29-after-riding.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh View Post
    Measured them again after having them mounted for a while andgoing for a few rides and the tread at the widest point is now a full 2.4.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maxxis DHR II 2.4 3C WT on WTB i29 After Riding.jpg 
Views:	2051 
Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	1068674
    Could you (or anyone else) measure the height of the 29" 2.4 DHR2 on a 30mm inner width rim? Just measure the height of rim+tire and subtract the rim height (I can find out the rim height myself if you tell me which one it is).

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by badIuck View Post
    Could you (or anyone else) measure the height of the 29" 2.4 DHR2 on a 30mm inner width rim? Just measure the height of rim+tire and subtract the rim height (I can find out the rim height myself if you tell me which one it is).

Thanks
    Here's that tire about 1600 miles later. I measured it on a WTB Asym i29, but forgot to measure the rim depth. If you can't find that info let me know.

Maxxis minion 29 X 2.4WT on 30mm internal rim-2018-02-22_miniondhrii_on_wtbasymi29.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for the measurements Found the height:
    Maxxis minion 29 X 2.4WT on 30mm internal rim-168855_01_d.jpg