mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Maxxis Ikon setup as tubeless, leaking air from LITERALLY everywhere?

Hello,
    I just set up as tubeless my Maxxis Ikon wheels, that say "Tubeless ready" on the sidewalls, and Dt Swiss Spline 1700 x wheels, which also say tubeless ready.

I did the exactly same procedure for both.

The front wheel is fine, but after the first night, the rear wheel had lost a lot of air and was almost flat.

I just put it into the bath tub to find the leak, and it seems to me as LITERALLY the entire surface of the tire's sidewalls is leaking. Any part I submerge, around the tire's circumference, is visibly leaking air with the tiniest stream of bubbles from multiple points.

Note that while these are not new tires, at 3000 km, I have not abused them at all, since I only ride easy trails.

It looks like the very thread of the tire is not able to hold air.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do?

I can post a video if it helps.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Sorry, I googled this and it turns out it's fairly normal for some tires to be more leaky than others, especially light weight tires.

mtbr member
    I have a 29x2.1 Ikon that is constantly moist on the sidewalls from sealant (stans) leaking through the sidewalls. It's not too bad, maybe add air once a week. The thing is it just won't wear out so I can replace it with something else.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    If they aren't EXO casing this happens. Are they?

I can't imagine why they even offer tires without EXO. It's not worth the weight savings to go without.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by glader60 View Post
    I have a 29x2.1 Ikon that is constantly moist on the sidewalls from sealant (stans) leaking through the sidewalls. It's not too bad, maybe add air once a week. The thing is it just won't wear out so I can replace it with something else.
    Mine goes almost empty overnight. I haven't found any leaks other than the sidewalls, from submerging it in the bath tub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    How chronologically old are they? People don't pay a lot of attention to it, but rubber deteriorates from exposure to ozone and sunlight. So even if they haven't been "abused," any tendency to porous sidewalls is going to be increased by age/exposure.

mtbr member
    Go to Stan's website (notubes.com) and check out 'Tubeless Conversion Install' video of how to ensure sealant is worked into all surfaces after pumping up tire. I've had a few tires with tiny sidewall leaks and this worked for me. With wheel off bike, bounce it while slowly rotating 360 degrees a few times to get sealant into most areas. Then lay it on it's side so the sealant gets to sidewalls and penetrates these small holes (I use a bucket). It may take some time letting it get to the smallest leaks...I let it sit for hours then flipped it over. Eventually, only extremely small areas were left which were inconsequential and tire held air for days.

You did the right thing by submerging to understand where leaks are...so many people skip this step. Now you know SPECIFICALLY where the leaks are so you can fix them. Using a spray bottle of soapy water also works.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    Go to Stan's website (notubes.com) and check out 'Tubeless Conversion Install' video of how to ensure sealant is worked into all surfaces after pumping up tire. I've had a few tires with tiny sidewall leaks and this worked for me. With wheel off bike, bounce it while slowly rotating 360 degrees a few times to get sealant into most areas. Then lay it on it's side so the sealant gets to sidewalls and penetrates these small holes (I use a bucket). It may take some time letting it get to the smallest leaks...I let it sit for hours then flipped it over. Eventually, only extremely small areas were left which were inconsequential and tire held air for days.

You did the right thing by submerging to understand where leaks are...so many people skip this step. Now you know SPECIFICALLY where the leaks are so you can fix them. Using a spray bottle of soapy water also works.
    This, alternatively if you can set them up hard at like 25-30psi, then immediately mount them and ride for 5-7 miles that is typically plenty of sloshing to get sealant everywhere inside the tire. Take a mini pump though so you can refill if needed (which is why I recommend the high psi above).

Also, don't be a weenie with the sealant. An extra ounce is not going to lose you the world cup podium or require a second mortgage.

Lastly, even a light 3000km is a lot of wear. Unless you're wanting them worn for low resistance road/gravel riding out might be time to get new ones anyway

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have Ikons and they are fairly new. The rear kept going soft every couple days. Added another oz or so of stans and bounced the rims and the other steps recommended by stans and it is keeping firm.