Maxxis Ikon EXO w/ sealant...is there a sealant that willl not bubble these tires.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Maxxis Ikon EXO w/ sealant...is there a sealant that willl not bubble these tires.

I have one of the Ikons that I want to use as a rear. It's new and have not used it because of the bubbling issue articulated so many times on the "long term" thread.
    However, I wonder if is related to Stan's or is there another sealant that has more success with this tire, ie Slime, Orange, etc.

mtbr member
    I've ran many Ikons over the years with Stan's sealant and never had a problem (and I still do). Most of the tread separation issues I've seen, though, have been with Stan's. Use Slime Pro, if it gives you some piece of mind.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I got bubbles in both my Ikkons but it took nearly a year on both with Stan's sealant.

mtbr member
    The non-natural latex sealants like Bontrager TLR do NOT contain ammonia and will not bubble tires. Last a lot longer than the natural latex sealants too!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Maxxis Ikon EXO w/ sealant...is there a sealant that willl not bubble these t...

Quote Originally Posted by White Bear View Post
    I have one of the Ikons that I want to use as a rear. It's new and have not used it because of the bubbling issue articulated so many times on the "long term" thread.
    However, I wonder if is related to Stan's or is there another sealant that has more success with this tire, ie Slime, Orange, etc.
    Yes. Butyl rubber. AKA an inner tube.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Happy Trails

Maxxis Ikon EXO w/ sealant...is there a sealant that willl not bubble these t...

Stan's. No problems over 1 year on two bikes with Ikons. Also, tubeless is better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    The non-natural latex sealants like Bontrager TLR do NOT contain ammonia and will not bubble tires
    Correct : you can use Caffelatex and Stan's Revo Sealant which are synthetic formulated sealants as well. Caffelatex is the only sealant recommended for usage in Dugast Tubulars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Looks like it takes a year or so for the migration into the layers. Since this is on a back-up bike, I'll probably just use a tube. Whoever borrows it probably won't care anyway.

Thanks for the tips on Stan's Revo, which I've not heard of. BTW, do any of the alternatives, such as Caffelatex last any longer? I'm finding that 2 months is the "safe" gap for me. At 3 months, it's marginal, and 4 months is just not effective at sealing a puncture.

It would really be nice to see a test with the different sealants over time. Like the Stan's video with the ice pick, but conducted at one month intervals.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    From Stan's FAQ page

I heard there is ammonia in your sealant and it is bad for my tire and or rim?
    Any trace amount of ammonia in Stanís sealant will evaporate soon after it is injected into the tire. We have found no damaging effects from our sealant even after years of use. Any oxidation in your rim will just as likely be caused by riding in wet conditions or the humidity in the air. Although tape may not be necessary to seal your rim, you may add one layer to protect un-anodized or scratched areas of your rim from oxidation due to moisture in the sealant.

Will using your sealant void the warranty on my tire?
    Using our sealant will void your tire warranty with certain manufacturers. Stanís NoTubes Sealant will not damage your tire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    From Stan's FAQ page
    Stanís NoTubes Sealant will not damage your tire.
    And the truth shall set you free!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by White Bear View Post
    Thanks for the tips on Stan's Revo, which I've not heard of. BTW, do any of the alternatives, such as Caffelatex last any longer?
    I made a little typo - it's Continental Revo

Continental Revo or Caffelatex don't last any longer, I would say about the same. I have done last year some puncture testing myself - sealing bigger holes : the best was Sludge / NoZisch, followed by Caffelatex.

Caffelatex is easier to remove from the tires and doesn't stick the sidewalls together in case you have a big cut and need to insert a tube.

Stan's was OK for punctures with nails up to 2mm, while the other two managed punctures up to 5mm.

SS Pusher Man
    Tires dont last anywhere close to a year, so I guess I have nothing to worry about.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    TLR will easily last a year from my experience. I'm in the Pacific NW where we don't get temperature extremes tho so YMMV.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!