Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,915

    Maxxis Forekaster 29x2.6

    Its not what you know, its who you know. 3c exo tr . 29x 2.6 maxxis forekaster. Ill give a ride report next week. These bad boys are HUGE though. Obviously heavy also, but they are definitely 2.6 on i26. They will be available in the next few months. Stay tuned.
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bob-o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    651
    Oooh, ok. This one's been hyped a bunch....

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23,252
    So you've been given clearance to report and show on these despite the signed NDA? If so cool, throw up some pics and let us know if they proportionately scaled the knobs up and gave them a bit more support.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Its not what you know, its who you know. 3c exo tr . 29x 2.6 maxxis forekaster. Ill give a ride report next week. These bad boys are HUGE though. Obviously heavy also, but they are definitely 2.6 on i26. They will be available in the next few months. Stay tuned.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  4. #4
    No good in rock gardens..
    Reputation: Sideknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,267
    A big Maxxis that's actually big? Cool!
    Less isn't MOAR

  5. #5
    tire to rim ratio tester
    Reputation: richj8990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    A big Maxxis that's actually big? Cool!
    I dunno, my 27.5 x 2.5 measures 2.5 even on 23mm rims. The only one I had a problem with (so far) was the older 26 x 2.7, measured 2.5.

    I talked with a dude today out on the trail, he has a Maxxis 2.3 in front on a 35mm rim (kinda wide for that tire if you ask me), and he says it's great because it grew to 2.5 and he likes the tire being squared off. But his side knobs were pointing up, not out. How in God's name can this help performance? Don't you need the side knobs on the side for cornering and traction? Maybe he just likes it for straight line rolling speed? I'm obviously missing something.
    "A $1700 bike is not fit to be hucked from a curb"
    MTB B'Dos

  6. #6
    Captain One Lung Administrator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,603
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    I dunno, my 27.5 x 2.5 measures 2.5 even on 23mm rims. The only one I had a problem with (so far) was the older 26 x 2.7, measured 2.5.

    I talked with a dude today out on the trail, he has a Maxxis 2.3 in front on a 35mm rim (kinda wide for that tire if you ask me), and he says it's great because it grew to 2.5 and he likes the tire being squared off. But his side knobs were pointing up, not out. How in God's name can this help performance? Don't you need the side knobs on the side for cornering and traction? Maybe he just likes it for straight line rolling speed? I'm obviously missing something.
    With the side knobs pointing up instead of out like you describe the knobs will always be in contact with the ground and rolling resistance and wear will skyrocket. Straight line traction will likely improve but cornering traction at anything beyond very slight lean angles will be poor and cause abrupt traction loss. Maybe the guy doesn't care about rolling resistance and never leans the bike in turns.

  7. #7
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,915
    They arent top secret! Like a new tire they have coming They wont have any in distributors hands for a few weeks/month. They are on the slow boat. Oem will get the first batch, then distributors.

    Thats a picture next to a 2.25 aspen and a 2.4wt rekon. All 29er, on i26 wheels. I have a pair i will test ride, give some feedback, then pass them on to a friend to have. I have no long term use for a 2.6 forekaster but definitely want to ride them in Arizona and Colorado over next few weeks just to get super aggresive. I will post a picture next to a 2.35 forekaster tmrw. I have been busy. Stay tuned for weights and ride report.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Forekaster 29x2.6-20180428_174600.jpg  

    Maxxis Forekaster 29x2.6-20180428_174628.jpg  

    Maxxis Forekaster 29x2.6-20180428_174654.jpg  

    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    930
    Looks good but I'm waiting for the 29x2.6 Ardent Race. Sent an email but as usual no response. But it's only been a couple of weeks or so...

    Also, those 2.6's on a 26mm rim is probably not gonna be the best combo for doing a review but still might be informative.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

  9. #9
    Captain One Lung Administrator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,603
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Looks good but I'm waiting for the 29x2.6 Ardent Race. Sent an email but as usual no response. But it's only been a couple of weeks or so...

    Also, those 2.6's on a 26mm rim is probably not gonna be the best combo for doing a review but still might be informative.
    I'm curious how the rolling resistance will pan out for those. I find it pretty incredible that the Arden and Ardent Race have fairly high rolling resistance numbers compared to the WTB Trail Boss, DHRII and especially the Nobby Nic which beats them all. It just goes to show that knobs play a big part in rolling resistance BUT there are other factors that can make or break a tire's efficiency characteristics.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    ........ It just goes to show that knobs play a big part in rolling resistance BUT there are other factors that can make or break a tire's efficiency characteristics.
    Yes, like riding them on dirt as opposed to a steel drum. I've found some of the differences borne by those tests are much smaller or even nil when actually riding them. I replaced some 29x2.6 nobby nics with some 29x 2.6 Rekons and notice little to no difference in rolling, but much better traction. The Ardent Race will hopefully be even faster than the Rekon, albeit with maybe a bit less grip. But I'd bet still better than the NN's I couldn't wait to get off my Ripley LS.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

  11. #11
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,588
    Very nice.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23,252
    Agree, and mine was 2.8" NN Pacestar to 2.8" Rekon 3C Maxx Terra and noticed hardly any increase in rolling resistance, but a boat load better traction,, especially in the wet.

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Yes, like riding them on dirt as opposed to a steel drum. I've found some of the differences borne by those tests are much smaller or even nil when actually riding them. I replaced some 29x2.6 nobby nics with some 29x 2.6 Rekons and notice little to no difference in rolling, but much better traction. The Ardent Race will hopefully be even faster than the Rekon, albeit with maybe a bit less grip. But I'd bet still better than the NN's I couldn't wait to get off my Ripley LS.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    262
    Awesome.
    2017 Canfield Riot

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bubba13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,010
    Is there an issue with production on the 29x2.6 Forekaster? It has been a few months since the original post.

    Thanks,
    Portland Off Road Navagators

  15. #15
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,223
    LDC's obviously been busy...
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akaBrowntown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    451
    Kind of a bummer about the delay in the 2.6 tires. Iíve been using a Forekaster/Rekon combo in 2.6 on my 27.5 hardtail, and love the combo - but was hoping to run the same combo on a 29er HT I just built up. I do a 2.6 DHF/Rekon combo on my FS, the 2.6 DHF is lighter than other widths - the option to run the same combo on a 29er would be nice.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    174
    I noticed that the new Norco Fluid FS is spec'd with Forekaster 2.6Ē 3C/EXO/TR tires which might be an indication that we could see this tire on shelves sometime in the near future. Any other new sightings?

    I am hoping to see FK 29x2.6 in Maxx Terra with weight similar to the Rekon as a lighter and possibly grippier alternative to the Nobby Nic.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    Kind of a bummer about the delay in the 2.6 tires. Iíve been using a Forekaster/Rekon combo in 2.6 on my 27.5 hardtail, and love the combo - but was hoping to run the same combo on a 29er HT I just built up. I do a 2.6 DHF/Rekon combo on my FS, the 2.6 DHF is lighter than other widths - the option to run the same combo on a 29er would be nice.
    Just confirming you are running FK up front on your 27.5?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RSAmerica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    311


    Now available at Maxxis Webstore.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by RSAmerica View Post


    Now available at Maxxis Webstore.
    I'd love to see a picture of the tread when you get that mounted!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23,252
    Don't happen to have a 2.35" you could grab a pick of next to the 2.6" to show tread block size?
    Quote Originally Posted by RSAmerica View Post


    Now available at Maxxis Webstore.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RSAmerica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    311

    Maxxis Forekaster 29x2.6

    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Don't happen to have a 2.35" you could grab a pick of next to the 2.6" to show tread block size?
    No sorry.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-28-2017, 09:01 PM
  2. Sold!!
    By D Bone in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2017, 02:01 PM
  3. Maxxis Forekaster
    By Cerberus75 in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-30-2016, 05:57 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-16-2014, 11:24 AM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 08:51 AM

Members who have read this thread: 194

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.