Maxxis Dissector Tire - 29x2.4 WT--Rear tire for Ripley LS v2?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3

    Maxxis Dissector Tire - 29x2.4 WT--Rear tire for Ripley LS v2?

    Hello,

    Anyone tried the Maxxis Dissector Tire - 29x2.4 WT as a rear tire for the Ripley LS v2?

    I currently use the DHR II WT 29x2.4 and the side knobs just barely clear
    the seatstay so I'm concerned the Dissector might rub.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rynomx785's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,041
    I was under the impression the Dissector side knobs were smaller than the DHR2?

  3. #3
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,812
    I have them both on my bike right now and although I didn't check the air pressures between the two they both measure the exact same at the widest point.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rynomx785's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I have them both on my bike right now and although I didn't check the air pressures between the two they both measure the exact same at the widest point.
    How are you liking the Dissector? Does it feel faster than a DHF/DHR2? How about compared to an Aggressor? I think it may be my next rear tire.

  5. #5
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,812
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    How are you liking the Dissector? Does it feel faster than a DHF/DHR2? How about compared to an Aggressor? I think it may be my next rear tire.
    The Dissector is a pretty good roller for sure especially when compared to the others in the line up. I did find it lacking in the braking department when things get loose and steep. For park riding I still prefer the 2.5 Aggressor/DHF combo but for pedaling days the 2.4 Dissector rear with modded 2.4 DHR front is much faster and not overkill. I have found that the Dissector is very pressure sensitive and I would like to give it another shot in the steeps with my cush core installed and lower pressures but it will have to wait till spring.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rynomx785's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    The Dissector is a pretty good roller for sure especially when compared to the others in the line up. I did find it lacking in the braking department when things get loose and steep. For park riding I still prefer the 2.5 Aggressor/DHF combo but for pedaling days the 2.4 Dissector rear with modded 2.4 DHR front is much faster and not overkill. I have found that the Dissector is very pressure sensitive and I would like to give it another shot in the steeps with my cush core installed and lower pressures but it will have to wait till spring.
    Thanks for the feedback. I am a bit surprised to hear that the Aggressor is noticeably better in the braking department. What pressure do you run it with Cushcore installed and how much do you weigh? I just installed Cushcore last night (that was fun). Running DHFs front and rear currently but want a faster rolling rear.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I am a bit surprised to hear that the Aggressor is noticeably better in the braking department. What pressure do you run it with Cushcore installed and how much do you weigh? I just installed Cushcore last night (that was fun). Running DHFs front and rear currently but want a faster rolling rear.
    different experience for me.
    Switching between Aggressor 2.5, DHR2 2.4 and Dissector 2.4 since end of August 2019 as a rear tire on my Bronson (27,5“).
    Aggressor dual Exo, DHR2 & Dissector 3C Maxxterra Exo.

    Best breaking power for DHR2, but the Dissector isn‘t far behind.
    Noticeable better breaking than the Aggressor in loose over hard pack and especially in soft/humid conditions, but nearly the same rolling speed.

    I prefer the Dissector over the Aggressor, best of two worlds (DHR2/Aggressor).

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rynomx785's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by zauberer View Post
    different experience for me.
    Switching between Aggressor 2.5, DHR2 2.4 and Dissector 2.4 since end of August 2019 as a rear tire on my Bronson (27,5“).
    Aggressor dual Exo, DHR2 & Dissector 3C Maxxterra Exo.

    Best breaking power for DHR2, but the Dissector isn‘t far behind.
    Noticeable better breaking than the Aggressor in loose over hard pack and especially in soft/humid conditions, but nearly the same rolling speed.

    I prefer the Dissector over the Aggressor, best of two worlds (DHR2/Aggressor).
    Thanks! I will have to get one coming once they are back in stock.

  9. #9
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,812
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I am a bit surprised to hear that the Aggressor is noticeably better in the braking department. What pressure do you run it with Cushcore installed and how much do you weigh? I just installed Cushcore last night (that was fun). Running DHFs front and rear currently but want a faster rolling rear.
    I was running 26 psi in the Dissector which I knew was too high but in the chunk without my cush core I was worried about my rim. I'm guessing the braking would be better once I can run lower pressures but won't know till spring. I weight 180 and run it on 30i rims.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    774
    I've been running the 2.4 Dissector up front and have found it to be amazing at breaking for what it is. My friends are referring to this tire as a Mini DHF (compared to the 2.5 DHF which happens to be a crap ton heavier). I've run it on a bit of everything at this point and it hasn't let me down.

    Unfortunately I havent ridden it on the rear just yet. On one bike I have it paired to a 2.4 rekon (will probably go with a dissector when new compounds come out) and on the other bike which is a hardtail I have it paired with an aggressor 2.5.
    Santa Cruz HT2

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rynomx785's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    I've been running the 2.4 Dissector up front and have found it to be amazing at breaking for what it is. My friends are referring to this tire as a Mini DHF (compared to the 2.5 DHF which happens to be a crap ton heavier). I've run it on a bit of everything at this point and it hasn't let me down.

    Unfortunately I havent ridden it on the rear just yet. On one bike I have it paired to a 2.4 rekon (will probably go with a dissector when new compounds come out) and on the other bike which is a hardtail I have it paired with an aggressor 2.5.
    How does the Dissector roll compared to the Aggressor in your opinion?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    774
    Man, thats a tough question for a few reasons. First, I have only run it on front in 3C, and the Aggressor is wider and DC on the rear. I tend to be a tire whore, so I feel comfortable saying that I'd say the rolling resistance could be potentially be very similar. On the flip side, I feel like braking and cornering on the Dissector are better. The Agressor 2.5 in the back has always seemed a bit vague to me...kinda blah. I think its fantastic on harder pack and what not but for our trail litter (pine, leaves, forest clutter, not always DIRT), it tends to float on top too much and not poke through enough for traction that I'd expect it to carry.

    Take my opinion with a grain of salt. You may find better information on the dissector thread. Lots of good intel over there.
    Santa Cruz HT2

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rynomx785's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Man, thats a tough question for a few reasons. First, I have only run it on front in 3C, and the Aggressor is wider and DC on the rear. I tend to be a tire whore, so I feel comfortable saying that I'd say the rolling resistance could be potentially be very similar. On the flip side, I feel like braking and cornering on the Dissector are better. The Agressor 2.5 in the back has always seemed a bit vague to me...kinda blah. I think its fantastic on harder pack and what not but for our trail litter (pine, leaves, forest clutter, not always DIRT), it tends to float on top too much and not poke through enough for traction that I'd expect it to carry.

    Take my opinion with a grain of salt. You may find better information on the dissector thread. Lots of good intel over there.
    I missed the Dissector thread. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Maxxis Dissector
    By agreenbike in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 563
    Last Post: 13 Minutes Ago, 03:58 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-17-2019, 01:38 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-30-2018, 08:57 AM
  4. Maxxis WT vs non-WT Advice needed
    By Briareos in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-18-2018, 06:09 AM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 08:51 AM

Members who have read this thread: 97

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.