Maxxis Dissector- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Maxxis Dissector

Looks like Maxxis launched a new tire today, the Dissector:

https://reviews.mtbr.com/maxxis-diss...weight-details

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/maxxis...look-2019.html

The Maxxis website is bare on details so far, but I'm curious how this would work on the back of my bike with a 2.4 DHR2 up front. I'm currently running 2.4 3C DHR2 front and rear and am happy with the combo, but this might be a tire to bridge the gap between the 2.5 Aggressor and 2.4 Rekon.

Perpetual Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by agreenbike View Post
    Looks like Maxxis launched a new tire today, the Dissector:

https://reviews.mtbr.com/maxxis-diss...weight-details

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/maxxis...look-2019.html

The Maxxis website is bare on details so far, but I'm curious how this would work on the back of my bike with a 2.4 DHR2 up front. I'm currently running 2.4 3C DHR2 front and rear and am happy with the combo, but this might be a tire to bridge the gap between the 2.5 Aggressor and 2.4 Rekon.

That is what I'm thinking.
    I don't like the Aggressor, and the Rekon currently on the back while fast as hell, also can't keep up with the DHR2 up front on forest litter like pine straw and leaves.

On the big bike, the Ass-guy and DHR2 are working just fine.

So, yup, interested in hearing a bit more.
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    That is what I'm thinking.
    I don't like the Aggressor, and the Rekon currently on the back while fast as hell, also can't keep up with the DHR2 up front on forest litter like pine straw and leaves.

On the big bike, the Ass-guy and DHR2 are working just fine.

So, yup, interested in hearing a bit more.
    Do you mind to tell my why you dont like the agressor? I am looking at a tire to replace my forekaster, that will be paired with a dhf.

mtbr member
    It seems like this tire was designed for the higher speed, less technical, dry bike park style tracks. A lot riders used dual DHR2's in those conditions and they probably wanted something even faster rolling in the rear.

mtbr member
    I am definitely interested in trying the Dissector as a rear tire. I really like the 29 x 2.4 Bontrager XR4 that I use on my Canfield Riot and Ibis Ripley--and this "appears" to be a similar tire with potentially some additional cornering prowess. I just hope that it runs true to size.

mtbr member
    Not a big fan of the DHR. Wears much too quickly. Tore through one in a month. This might be a better tire than the DHR and a good match to the DHF. I'm still testing the DHF. Just got one even though it has been around for a decade. Lol. DHF is a really solid tire though. Reminds me of a Nevegal.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    I am definitely interested in trying the Dissector as a rear tire. I really like the 29 x 2.4 Bontrager XR4 that I use on my Canfield Riot and Ibis Ripley--and this "appears" to be a similar tire with potentially some additional cornering prowess. I just hope that it runs true to size.
    You may want to try the SE4. The Dissector resembles the SE4 based on photos

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Dissector looks ideal for a front rough trail tire to me. I don't like tires that aggressive in the rear cause they just don't roll very well.

Will be the next new one I try although I'm pretty stocked up at the moment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by manteufel View Post
    Do you mind to tell my why you dont like the agressor? I am looking at a tire to replace my forekaster, that will be paired with a dhf.
    For the right conditions (dry and/ or rocky) the Aggressor is a sick tire. The tread is packed a bit too tight for mud and pine needles type riding though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    It seems like this tire was designed for the higher speed, less technical, dry bike park style tracks. A lot riders used dual DHR2's in those conditions and they probably wanted something even faster rolling in the rear.
    That's an odd assumption from my perspective. Dry, rocky, loose, ruf as fuk is what I'd say that knobby ass tire was designed for. Too 'dirt bike' for a rear for my application but going by looks it's perfect as a front.

It would be fun to time these guys running these really grippy (i.e. Assegai) tires front and rear on their trail bikes vs. some well chosen trail tires. I'd bet they are 20% slower overall cause the climbs, and barely 1% faster on the descents due to the aggro tires. That's what happened to me anyways.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    You may want to try the SE4. The Dissector resembles the SE4 based on photos
    The SE4 is the Xr4 just a thicker casing. Donít know why everyone is saying the 4 series looks like the dissector. Some vague semblance but the dissector has a freakin channel amongst other major differences.

mtbr member
    The larger center block knobs and ramped leading edges along with number of center knobs leads me to believe this will roll better than a DHR2. The side knobs seem aggressive enough and the small space between the large center and two opposing knobs will prevent this from sliding out as badly on wet roots and rocks like the DHR2 did (because of the continuous horizontal center knobs) while retaining braking traction. This to me looks like it will kill off the DHR2 just as that did to the HR2... I'm excited about this tire! Now if they would just release a DC version to avoid the fast wear we see with 3C versions!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Rocks belong
    If the SE4 and the High Roller 2 got drunk and made an illegitimate child... I'd say it'd look like the Dissector
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    The Dissector looks ideal for a front rough trail tire to me. I don't like tires that aggressive in the rear cause they just don't roll very well.

Will be the next new one I try although I'm pretty stocked up at the moment.
    I ordered one for my trail bike. Been looking for a lighter faster rolling Ďaggressiveí front tire for knifing into so cal loose over hard. DHF seemed like overkill. Currently have a 2.6 Xr5 thatís just too floaty/big. Iím hoping the dissector measures true to width but doubtful.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by gfourth View Post
    The SE4 is the Xr4 just a thicker casing. Donít know why everyone is saying the 4 series looks like the dissector. Some vague semblance but the dissector has a freakin channel amongst other major differences.
    I'm not sure who "everyone" refers to. To my eye, based on photos, I see a resemblance. But I'll only know for sure when I touch and feel it.

mtbr member
    That's an odd assumption from my perspective. Dry, rocky, loose, ruf as fuk is what I'd say that knobby ass tire was designed for. Too 'dirt bike' for a rear for my application but going by looks it's perfect as a front.

It would be fun to time these guys running these really grippy (i.e. Assegai) tires front and rear on their trail bikes vs. some well chosen trail tires. I'd bet they are 20% slower overall cause the climbs, and barely 1% faster on the descents due to the aggro tires. That's what happened to me anyways.
    I'm talking about World Cup DH racers.

Just saw the Maxxis promo video with Brosnan confirming my thoughts.

mtbr member
    I like the looks of this tire. To me it looks like a more aggressive eliminator with one less knob giving it a defined cornering channel which is the eliminators achilles heel imo. I can see the se/xr4 resemblance but hopefully rides nothing like as that tire sucks imo.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I want this tire, anybody know where 29" is in stock? My only reservation is killing the side knobs as fast as the aggressor but seems there are more of them than an aggressor.

mtbr member
    Worldwide Cyclery had them in stock earlier today. I'm gonna try it with a 2.5 Assegai up front on my HTLT. I bought another one for a front tire to pair with a 2.3 aggressor. Hopefully I'll be trying that combo on the new Tallboy in a couple weeks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    The side knobs seem aggressive enough and the small space between the large center and two opposing knobs will prevent this from sliding out as badly on wet roots and rocks like the DHR2 did (because of the continuous horizontal center knobs) while retaining braking traction. This to me looks like it will kill off the DHR2 just as that did to the HR2... I'm excited about this tire! ...
    Hmm yeah I am pretty interested in this tire, but considering that Maxxis calls it a dry conditions tire while the DHR2 is considered to be good in the wet and dry makes me think that the DHR2 isn't going anywhere. Of course I don't think the Maxxis website calls the DHR2 a wet tire either and the aggressor (a dry-only tire) gets the job done for norcal winter riding since if its too wet/ muddy to use an aggressor I just stay home anyways.

IDK though why Maxxis likes to release tires mid-season, I am assuming it will be awhile before people are actually riding and reviewing it and by then I will want a tire more capable in wet conditions if possible.

Maxxis says it will work on both front and rear for trail bikes so if someone actually gets them in stock then maybe i'll get a set to replace my DHR2 front and rear, or at least try one on the rear. Either way I will probably let other people test it out first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Update: This video and their company website shows that the tire is available in a 2.6 version also, would be interesting to try a 2.6 front/ 2.4 rear combo. They aren't in stock here either though. Kinda odd to release a tire and advertise it everywhere then only have a limited supply at ever company.

Also, they claim that Troy got 3rd place in Leogang this year running the tire both front and rear so it sounds like this tire works good as a front and rear combo like the DHR2.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    I'm not sure who "everyone" refers to. To my eye, based on photos, I see a resemblance. But I'll only know for sure when I touch and feel it.
    The others in this thread, the guy you replied to, and a bunch of the typical snarky PB comments. Iím confused as to why you think the xr4 is different than the se4 yet similar to a dissector.

Hitching a ride
    Looks ok. Maxxis has good tread patterns but their rubber technology is still meh so they wear out fast. If they were $30 I'd use them more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Looks like a Rekon on steroids.

I ran DHF/DHR2 for a long time and my last bike came with DHF/Aggressor which I think I preferóitís faster without giving up anything as far as I can tell. Might have to try this one too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Agreed. I like Aggressor better than DHR II in the rear. I'm interested to try this. Wish it was 2.5 instead of 2.4.

Rocks belong
    Judging simply by looks, I'd run this (in 2.4) all day long over a 2.3 or 2.5 Aggressor out back.

I'm still looking for the perfect tire to replace the discontinued WTB Breakout (RIP!)

Hitching a ride
    I see the Breakout for sale all over the place.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Judging simply by looks, I'd run this (in 2.4) all day long over a 2.3 or 2.5 Aggressor out back.
    agreed. Aggressor for me was "meh" all around in both 2.3 and 2.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by danoiz View Post
    Agreed. I like Aggressor better than DHR II in the rear. I'm interested to try this. Wish it was 2.5 instead of 2.4.
    If this tire was in 2.5 also I think it would significantly overlap with the 2.5 aggressor so the 2.4 sizing makes sense. For tires that i've considered so far, there's only a 2.4 dhr2 (grippy but sometimes drifty and also not the quickest tire) or the rekon (apparently pretty quick but with many downsides). For 2.5's though there is the Assegai and DHF which are nice and grippy and also the 2.5 aggressor which has kind of become the standard dry trail/ enduro/ downhill tire. I think the Dissector in 2.4 fills in a nice spot in the Maxxis lineup then. If it was 2.5, then it too would be another quicker rolling dry weather downhill tire like the aggressor and picking between the two would be a touch choice.

It looks like the Dissector would probably be lighter than the aggressor if made in 2.5 though based on its 2.4WT weight, so maybe it would roll even quicker than an aggressor for the same tire size.

Overall though the 2.4 DHR2 is kind of the biggest tire that I can run on the rear of my bike (2.5 aggressor can work if its dry) so the Dissector being a 2.4 works good for me!

mtbr member
    It was designed as a fast rolling DH race tire. I doubt overlap with the Aggressor was the main consideration in the sizing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You guys must ride some loose and/ or steep trails to like a tire that knobby and those sort of gaps as a rear.

For a rear tire in the dry/ rocky/ loose conditions I frequent that descends AND pedals well only a closely spaced square block tire works well for me. I.e. Aggressor, Hans Dampf, Rock Razor, Breakout, to a lesser extent the DHRII.

mtbr member
    You guys must ride some loose and/ or steep trails to like a tire that knobby and those sort of gaps as a rear.

For a rear tire in the dry/ rocky/ loose conditions I frequent that descends AND pedals well only a closely spaced square block tire works well for me. I.e. Aggressor, Hans Dampf, Rock Razor, Breakout, to a lesser extent the DHRII.
    For trail riding I run a fast rear tire (e13 S/S and Rekon). For DH the slower the better, I'm not good enough to worry about shaving .1 seconds off my corners. However I might run the trail version on the front of my hardtail at some point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Looks like a Rekon on steroids. .
    Totally agree. Thinking putting this up front with a 2.4 Rekon on back

mtbr member
    maybe it would roll even quicker than an aggressor for the same tire size.
    This is the million dollar question imo...well that and more durable side lugs than a 2.3 aggressor.

mtbr member
    Maxxis commented on another forum when asked the difference between the Dissector and Aggressor
    "Better braking in the loose and will clear better"
    This is good news for me, as I bounce back and forth between the DHR2 and Aggressor 2.3. An Aggressor with better braking and just a bit more volume is exactly what I'm looking for. My Hightower LT rubs too much with the 2.5 Aggressor.
    Now if we can get it in Maxx Terra DD and the Assegai in EXO+ Maxx Grip.

Hitching a ride
    There's little point in ramping the center knobs if it's a dry conditions tire. It's going to lose climbing traction vs some square knobs.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismomike View Post
    Maxxis commented on another forum when asked the difference between the Dissector and Aggressor
    I've noticed 2.3 & 2.5WT Aggressor's have been on sale all over the place. Will the 2.4 Dissector be the tire that discontinues the Aggressor?

2.5 front (pick your favorite: DHF, HR2, Assegai)
    2.4 rear (pick your favorite: DHR2, Dissector, Rekon)

That sounds like aggressive trail riding tire nirvana, no?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    This is good news for me, as I bounce back and forth between the DHR2 and Aggressor 2.3. An Aggressor with better braking and just a bit more volume is exactly what I'm looking for. My Hightower LT rubs too much with the 2.5 Aggressor.

So its a lighter aggressor that is designed to work for slightly looser conditions? Interesting, wish I could see that post.

Regardless, I like the 2.4dhr2 on the back of my bike but after this weekend I am thinking I would be quicker with something a bit faster rolling but with still good cornering grip. I would just throw a 2.4 rekon on the back as then I would get some good rolling speed but then I am not sure if it is aggressive enough for my riding, which is a mix of everything.

The 2.3 dhf/'aggressor combo was perfect for my local trails on my old bike, and the dhr2 is decent all around. I noticed the 2.4 dhr2 has way more grip when hitting some gravel-ey loose downhill sections for sure! But that is only a small portion of my riding and small block tires would be better almost everywhere else probably.

I've noticed 2.3 & 2.5WT Aggressor's have been on sale all over the place. Will the 2.4 Dissector be the tire that discontinues the Aggressor?

2.5 front (pick your favorite: DHF, HR2, Assegai)
    2.4 rear (pick your favorite: DHR2, Dissector, Rekon)

That sounds like aggressive trail riding tire nirvana, no?
    Maybe they are blowing the aggressor out on sale as fall is approaching and its a dry weather tire? The aggressor has quickly taken a role as one of, if not the most, dominant trail rear tires in the past 2 years so I can't see them discontinuing it.

mtbr member
    So its a lighter aggressor that is designed to work for slightly looser conditions? Interesting, wish I could see that post.
    It was in the comments section of the Vital MTB rewiew.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    It was in the comments section of the Vital MTB rewiew.

Got it, I checked it out! I wish they had some more feedback.

I hope this tire becomes available before the rains come so I can give it a try.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I hope they release it in the EXO+ version sooner than later.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A lot of talk on here about Rekon and Aggressor comparing it to the Dissector. Where does the Forekaster fall in there?

Looking for a perfect Utah (dry/loose) setup, thinking DHRII up front on 35 internal. Trying to pan out the rear.

mtbr member
    The Forekaster is an aggressive XC tire. The Dissector is probably going to be slower rolling than all three of those tire (it's a DH tread pattern). It might be close enough to the Aggressor to compete with it but the Rekon and Forekaster will roll much faster and have less traction.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Looks like a fun tire. Maybe if my trail boss doesn't work out in the rear, I'll give it a try in a 2.4. Available in Maxx Terra or Maxx Grip as well for those of you who like the super soft compound in the rear.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    The Forekaster is an aggressive XC tire. The Dissector is probably going to be slower rolling than all three of those tire (it's a DH tread pattern). It might be close enough to the Aggressor to compete with it but the Rekon and Forekaster will roll much faster and have less traction.
    Howís the Aggressor for a rear? Too slow? How does a Rekon hood up? Iím running an XR2 currently. Need more bite. Cornering and braking traction.

mtbr member
    Just got my tires today. Ordered 2 of the EXO versions and a few other tires to pair it with. My first impression is it's very light. Compared to the Assegai 2.5, DHR2 2.4 and 2.3, Aggressor 2.3, DHF 2.3 and 2.5, all in EXO casing, it's nearly 100 grams lighter than the next lightest. My experience is that almost every Maxxis tire I've ever put on a scale is 25-100 grams heavier than advertised. The Assegai I got today is listed at 1075 and weighed 1169. Not the Dissector though. Weight was 855 grams, so basically spot on (861 listed). The sidewalls feel thinner than all of them as well. Very pliable, but maybe it's just because of how fresh it is. I never get flats, hence all the EXO casing tires, but I would expect this tire to be great paired with Cush Core. I wont get a chance to ride it until Saturday, but I'm going to pair it with a 2.5 Assegai 3C EXO on my Hightower LT. I'm in Arizona, so very dusty loose over hard, very rocky and ledgey. I'll post an update once I mount it up and get some measurements on my I30 Nobl wheels. All signs point to this being perfect for a rear trail tire.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Nisomike.

mtbr member
    A think a vs aggressor review would be awesome. The thin sidewalk & exo weight doesn't sound promising though. The 2.3 exo aggressor was already squirmy on a 30mm rim. Hopefully the WT helps in that regard with width vs height. Looking forward to your thoughts Nismomike

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

It was actually me who asked that question on Vital. As soon as I read the profile and saw the tread, I immediately saw a potential overlap with the Aggressor, as many on this forum has.

Personally, if it's basically an Aggressor with better braking then count me in.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    So Ardent EXO casing? Which for its weight is pretty tough. But the Ardent felt a little wooden when inflated to pressures to prevent pinch flats in AZ. Could the DC version come in heavier? I finally put a SE4 2.4 that I had lying around on the rear of my Switchblade. Iím not crushing double black. Fast wear and $75 a pop made hesitate to use it except as a vacation tire. But itís a sweet fast trail tire compared to my Aggressor 2.5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    A think a vs aggressor review would be awesome. The thin sidewalk & exo weight doesn't sound promising though. The 2.3 exo aggressor was already squirmy on a 30mm rim. Hopefully the WT helps in that regard with width vs height. Looking forward to your thoughts Nismomike
    Judging by most of the Maxxis tires I run, the weight difference from EXO to EXO+ is about 50-60 grams and EXO to DD is about 150-200 grams. So a DD Dissector may end up being right at 1000+/-. I could definitely see it being lighter than a 2.3 Aggressor DD. That would be awesome. Even though I dont have issues with flats, I would run a DD if it was decent weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    So Ardent EXO casing? Which for its weight is pretty tough. But the Ardent felt a little wooden when inflated to pressures to prevent pinch flats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I have an old Ardent 2.4 EXO with about 20 miles on it and the Dissector is definitely thicker. I'd say it's in between Ardent and Minion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    ...Just got my tires today....
    Dang now I really want to check one of these out, I still can't believe nobody has them in stock and have a feeling it might be awhile before I can actually get one.

I am curious too how it compares to the 2.4 dhr2 (rolling, cornering, etc.) also as I'd be swapping my dhr2 for one of these.

Hitching a ride
    That's really light. I would (personally) send it back.

mtbr member
    I think that the light weight EXO version will work well for some folks. I have been using a Bontrager 29 x 2.4 XR4, which has a similar weight, as a rear tire in Tahoe chunk for a few years now and have never had an issues with flats or sidewall cuts. I weigh about 180 lbs and am a moderately aggressive rider except when it comes to big air--I don't do big air (I am getting older and have broken too many bones). I have been typically running 24 psi (according to my AccuGage) in the rear (on 30 mm internal width rims). An EXO tire is probably not the right tire for many folks based on their riding style and riding surface (it would not be my first choice for Downieville or any place with lots of sharp shale or volcanics), but this tire might be an excellent option for many folks. I may give this tire a whirl as a front and/or rear tire on my Ripley v4 and a rear tire on my Canfield Riot (the e13 TRS+ and DHF 2.5 EXO have been my front tires of choice for the Riot---but I will probably give the Assegai a whirl at some point) .

mtbr member
    For anyone curious, I measured sidewall thickness in multiple places of an Assegai 2.5 3C EXO and it was
    .0391"
    Then an Aggressor 2.3 DD and got
    .0905"
    The Dissector 2.4 3C EXO was
    .0358"
    They were very consistent all the way around both sides. +/- .0005
    Edit, also checked DHF 2.5 3C EXO+
    .0443"

Last edited by Nismomike; 08-16-2019 at 09:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Cool! Wish you had any variety or EXO+ to measure like that.

I measured a 29x2.4 Rekon MaxxTerra EXO on my scale at 869g yesterday while swapping on a 1059g DHR2 EXO+. That Dissector is mighty light, i never trusted the Rekon as a rear tire in the terrain I ride so I'll wait for a heavier duty Dissector.

mtbr member
    Heavy duty dissector. The HDD compound.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateMob View Post
    Cool! Wish you had any variety or EXO+ to measure like that.

I measured a 29x2.4 Rekon MaxxTerra EXO on my scale at 869g yesterday while swapping on a 1059g DHR2 EXO+. That Dissector is mighty light, i never trusted the Rekon as a rear tire in the terrain I ride so I'll wait for a heavier duty Dissector.
    I know it doesn't really tell the full story of puncture protection, but as a point of reference its helpful. I'm curious to check an EXO+ as well. I knew the DD seemed much thicker than regular EXO, but 2.5 times thicker suprised me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I know it doesn't really tell the full story of puncture protection, but as a point of reference its helpful. I'm curious to check an EXO+ as well. I knew the DD seemed much thicker than regular EXO, but 2.5 times thicker suprised me.

Absolutely helpful, thank you for sharing your findings now and in the future.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    QBP website says they are not getting any in until December. Hope it gets updated

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'm on 29": DHF 2.5 3C up front and DHR2 2.4 2c out back. I'm not the most aggressive rider and have the EXO minions on just for grip and confidence...but I'm wondering if something like this would shave the rotational weight and still work decently well in the wet (PNW-ish) vs the DHF/DHR2 for someone not pushing the envelop all the time and not much park riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Super stoked to see how it compares to My Bontrager XR4s. First ride tomorrow.

Mounted on 29er SantaCruz Reserve 30s

Maxxis Dissector-img_5636.jpgMaxxis Dissector-img_5635.jpgMaxxis Dissector-img_5633.jpgMaxxis Dissector-img_5629.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

29x2.4 EXO 3C WT Dissector

874g. Slightly over spec, but still the lightest tire I've run in a while. I wish they made it in an EXO+, I suspect I'm going to trash it despite running a CushCore XC inside it.

I'll report back once I've beat on it for a few rides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Dissector-img_4099.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Dang now I really want to check one of these out, I still can't believe nobody has them in stock and have a feeling it might be awhile before I can actually get one.

I am curious too how it compares to the 2.4 dhr2 (rolling, cornering, etc.) also as I'd be swapping my dhr2 for one of these.
    Have your LBS get on QBP and submit an item watch. It'll notify them when it comes back in stock and they can order it for you. Assuming your LBS/ is half decent that is.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    QBP website says they are not getting any in until December. Hope it gets updated
    Looks like Universal has them in stock right now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Mine is coming tomorrow, picked it up from 365cycles. I'll be running it up front with a 2.4 dual compound Rekon out back on my new Ripmo build (Ibis S35 carbon wheels).

Hitching a ride
    For anyone curious, I measured sidewall thickness in multiple places of an Assegai 2.5 3C EXO and it was
    .0391"
    Then an Aggressor 2.3 DD and got
    .0905"
    The Dissector 2.4 3C EXO was
    .0358"
    They were very consistent all the way around both sides. +/- .0005
    Edit, also checked DHF 2.5 3C EXO
    .0443"
    Interesting how the EXO are all made different.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Mine is coming tomorrow, picked it up from 365cycles. I'll be running it up front with a 2.4 dual compound Rekon out back on my new Ripmo build (Ibis S35 carbon wheels).
    I would like to hear what you think. I am also. Thinking of running it as a front on my Ripmo with S35 wheels and Rekon rear.

I was running 2.6Ē but started to get some frame rub so I am looking at smaller tires for tame trail riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nice to see widths posted! Iím getting one tomorrow that Iím mounting up front with an XR4 in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Looks like Universal has them in stock right now.
    Universal who? I am unfamiliar with this company but may order some if so.

Also, now that the new specialized enduro has been released and comes with 2.6 butcher front/ 2.3 butcher rear, I am considering just getting a 2.3 butcher grid to throw on the back of my bike with my 2.4 dhr2 up front (I have 30mm internal width rims). I know the specialized butcher 2.3 works well on 30mm rims because i've ridden bikes with them on them before. There is also the specialized eliminator which I considered too before and I guess that is another possibility.

I think those specialized 2.3 tires run kinda big though so I hope that if I go that route that I don't end up with a bigger, grippier tire on the rear than the 2.4 dhr2 front!

Edit: Photos I found of tires with calipers on them seem to show that 2.3 specialized tires (or the eliminator at least) on 30mm rims actually run wider than the 2.4 dhr2 does on 30mm rims. That killed that idea already. I know the 2.3 purgatory runs smaller though so that is still an option.

Edit again: the dhr2 was actually on 29mm rims and came in at exactly 2.4 inches when measured on the knobs, the 2.3 eliminator in other threads was over 2.4 inches on 30mm rims, so the width would be the same.

mtbr member
    Ok fellas, I just got my 2.4 Exo (860g on the dot) on to an I9 305 and it went on with ease. I'll be replacing a DHF 2.5 (1064g) exo paired to the new Rekon DC 2.4 out back on my HTLT.

I'm remaining super hopeful about this tire as its the beefiest tread I've seen in a sub 900g tire. It rolls fast and quiet (street test). The side knobs are pretty large and it has a great look to it. I am hoping the sidewall holds up to what I need it to do here locally at this weight. My only interesting observation is that it is definitely more square than I expected, especially in relation to my other WT tires. Regardless, I just knocked 200g off of my front wheel. LOL

I'll report back. Feeling stoked....
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Mine came in at 875g on the dot, which I'm totally fine with, because the new 2.6" 3c Rekons seem to be weighing around 810-820g and the cornering knobs on this tire are way more pronounced.

Furthermore, the 2.6" Rekon is undersized, while this tire seems to be slightly oversized, so the difference is not that far off. My battery died in my digital caliper, but reading the analog portion of the gauge shows this tire right at 2.5" at the widest part. Once again, this is on 35mm internal rims.

Profile on 35mm rims is very nice. I was worried that they may be too squared, but no issues here. Pairs very nicely with the 2.4" DC Rekon out back...this combo had plenty of cornering traction, braking bite, and it rolled very fast. I've run 2.5" DHF/Aggressor all the way to 2.6" Rekon/Bontrager XR2 combos recently, and I think this is a great all around trail combo. The DHF/Aggressor combo made my bike feel like a tank, and this combo feels closer to an XC tire combo in terms of rolling resistance with grip closer to the more aggressive end of the spectrum. Really happy with it.

*edit - MTBR hates Imgur hosting, so trying a different hosting service:

Last edited by matt.s67; 08-18-2019 at 03:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    First impression of the 29x2.4 Exo Dissector as a front tire: Super impressed!

Bike is more lively on tame terrain and climbs seem to go down just a bit easier. Less rolling resistance and less weight means less work to pedal around.

I didn't really push it hard into turns at first but came away pleasantly surprised. Current conditions are typical late summer so cal: dry, loose, dusty, hard pack, off camber, etc. At all angles the tire holds and is predictable, sorta like the XR4/SE4- there is no ambiguous transition zone. But because of the channel, taller knobs, whatever magic, it really grips in turns.

I started to gain confidence and just kept leaning the bike, playing chicken with the lean angles turn after turn as the ride progressed and the tire won. On top of that it feels much quicker to respond to quick direction changes and small corrections in steering. Which alleviates the occasional struggle with new modern geo/short offset fork and the resulting understeer.

Compared to the XR/SE 4 from Bontrager- still don't see the resemblance at all, especially comparing them side by side, but I guess these are in a similar class. The dissector definitely corners better, but the XR does come in ~70-80g lighter if thats what you're into. I have the 2.4 SE4 out back and plan to keep it that way. I can see why the enduro/dh guys would like the dissector as a rear tire but it's probably overkill for me. Besides I think it would be better served in exo+ and DC to be an appropriate rear tire.

I'm amazed at how much performance Maxxis squeezed out of such a light faster rolling tire. I'm betting this tire will replace the DHF on stock trail bikes because it'll feel light in the showroom but still perform.
    Last edited by gfourth; 08-18-2019 at 12:47 AM. Reason: toned down the superlatives

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just got my tires today. Ordered 2 of the EXO versions and a few other tires to pair it with. My first impression is it's very light. Compared to the Assegai 2.5, DHR2 2.4 and 2.3, Aggressor 2.3, DHF 2.3 and 2.5, all in EXO casing, it's nearly 100 grams lighter...
    Are these 27.5 or 29?

mtbr member
    Mine came in at 875g on the dot, which I'm totally fine with, because the new 2.6" 3c Rekons seem to be weighing around 810-820g and the cornering knobs on this tire are way more pronounced.

Furthermore, the 2.6" Rekon is undersized, while this tire seems to be slightly oversized, so the difference is not that far off. My battery died in my digital caliper, but reading the analog portion of the gauge shows this tire right at 2.5" at the widest part. Once again, this is on 35mm internal rims.

Profile on 35mm rims is very nice. I was worried that they may be too squared, but no issues here. Pairs very nicely with the 2.4" DC Rekon out back...this combo had plenty of cornering traction, braking bite, and it rolled very fast. I've run 2.5" DHF/Aggressor all the way to 2.6" Rekon/Bontrager XR2 combos recently, and I think this is a great all around trail combo. The DHF/Aggressor combo made my bike feel like a tank, and this combo feels closer to an XC tire combo in terms of rolling resistance with grip closer to the more aggressive end of the spectrum. Really happy with it.
    Good info. Are there any conditions that would cause you to switch back to a DHF/AGG ?
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Saw couple references to putting this tire up front paired with a Rekon 2.4 out back, for trail work. That was exactly what I was thinking. Fast rolling for moderately aggressive work. The thinner/lighter sidewall is fine up up front, for me. I will be ordering one (I basically collect tires, ha).

Out back, it's a little light. I'm betting the Exo+ will come. Plus, when pedeling is involved, the MaxxTerra compound could be a little draggy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Maxxis Dissector

Replaced my 29x2.3 Aggressor rear with the 2.4 Dissector. Paired with a 29x2.6 DHF up front on 2018 Hightower. Iím 6í3 265lbs ride northeast rocky / rooty trails with some nice flow at times.

Compared to the Aggressor the dissector does seem to roll faster and have more bite in the corners, however the Aggressor does seem to have more traction when climbing over roots/rocks in my opinion. I do like this tire combo for the hot / dry summer months here in PA. I think others will like it as well. I would also love to try one out front in a 2.6 when it comes out.
    However I will switch back over to my Bontrager XR4 combo for the colder / wet seasons as they do roll just as well with better traction and without giving up too much in the corners. My .02.
    Last edited by M320; 08-19-2019 at 01:44 PM.

mtbr member
    I posted my first ride on my most local trail yesterday with the Dissector/Rekon 2.4 combo. Many of the above observations are dead on with my first impressions.

First my bike felt insanely more lively after dropping 200g off the front and going back to a 2.4. I definitely realized the 2.5 DHF was an overkill for everything I do outside of bike park (5pct). Second, my gawd....fastest combo Iíve ridden in years. My buddy was on a smash with a 2.5 DHF/2.4DHR2 so we were able
    To swap back and forth....he was mind blown as well. Third, traction was outstanding and it cornered very well. The transition area was real nice and it let me push hard. Iím sold. If the rekon wears out in the back and they get a DC exo plus version done of this tire it may go on the back as well.

Caveat....we have some sand here. Iím in Virginia Beach so anything between here and Williamsburg has some areas with thick sand. The tire didnít like that....it dissected it lol I dead of floating. Wasnít horrible. But didnít float like a Hans Damph or Aggressor. You get the point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by M320 View Post
    Replaced my 29x2.3 Aggressor rear with the 2.4 Dissector. Paired with a 29x2.6 DHF up front on 2018 Hightower. Iím 6í3 265lbs ride northeast rocky / rooty trails with some nice flow at times.

Compared to the Aggressor the does seem to roll faster and have more bite in the corners, however the Aggressor does have more traction when climbing over roots/rocks in my opinion. I do like this tire combo for the hot / dry summer months here in PA.
    Dang, I was looking for something a little quicker rolling than a 2.4 dhr2 for the rear of my bike but the 2.3 aggressor is not that grippy so if the dissector is faster rolling than that, its pretty much a no-go for me. It should be more capable than a 2.4 rekon it sounds like but I guess I'll be using my DHR2 for awhile now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Dang, I was looking for something a little quicker rolling than a 2.4 dhr2 for the rear of my bike but the 2.3 aggressor is not that grippy so if the dissector is faster rolling than that, its pretty much a no-go for me. It should be more capable than a 2.4 rekon it sounds like but I guess I'll be using my DHR2 for awhile now.
    Get yourself a WTB Vigilante

mtbr member

Gman Dissector Cut

The reason it loses climbing traction is because of those large center knobs which protrude ahead of the two adjacent knobs and the ramping. Solution for the rear tire is to cut that leading edge off. You will lose a little flat line speed but you'll have decent climbing traction and will still be noticeably faster than the DHR2. So... Gman cut rear and leave the front alone and you have the perfect combo for aggressive trail use without the heavy weight of DHF front and slow rolling of DHR2 rear; the new standard for aggro trail use in dry conditions if you ask me.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Dissector-gmandissectorcut.png  

"There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The reason it loses climbing traction is because of those large center knobs which protrude ahead of the two adjacent knobs and the ramping. Solution for the rear tire is to cut that leading edge off. You will lose a little flat line speed but you'll have decent climbing traction and will still be noticeably faster than the DHR2. So... Gman cut rear and leave the front alone and you have the perfect combo for aggressive trail use without the heavy weight of DHF front and slow rolling of DHR2 rear; the new standard for aggro trail use in dry conditions if you ask me.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    That sounds pretty sweet! What would be the equivalent for the wet?

aka bOb

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Gman what about just running it reversed on the rear?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Gman what about just running it reversed on the rear?
    It would climb like velcro but the ramped knobs would slide on braking.

Cheers,

G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    That sounds pretty sweet! What would be the equivalent for the wet?
    Maxxis will tell you the HighRoller 2 but I've found the knobs to be too ramped for decent wet traction. Actually a cut Dissector "should" do well in the wet based on knob spacing and depth but that's only a guess. If you siped that cut center knob then I'm sure it would do well but then again you lose more straight line speed on dry hardpack. Everything is a tradeoff.

Cheers,

G

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    Get yourself a WTB Vigilante
    How's the volume though? That's a 2.3, I like the size of the 2.4 dhr2 but there are just limited options at this size I think.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Hmm if its only climbing traction that you lose due to the ramped knobs but everywhere else is fine then I would probably leave the knobs alone.

As for everything else, I just noticed today that after just a few rides quite a few of the 3C dhr2 cornering knobs on my rear tires are sliced and the center knobs are already seeing some noticeable wear. I always used dual or other compound rear tires in the past and they looked new after the same number of rides but now I am seeing what all the complaints were about with triple compound tires on the rear wearing fast. This kinda makes me concerned about how the 2.4 dissector 3C will wear.

mtbr member
    Managed to score one of these and initial impressions are that this could be the preferred tire for most trail riders. Looks like a DHRII but with a tad shorter knobs and pronounced ramping on the center knobs and very robust looking side knobs. Grateful for the 880 weight vs the almost 1000g weight of the 2.5 Aggressor it will replace. Will probably purchase a second one and replace the massive WT DHF 2.5 as well. Went on easily and volume looks great on a 29mm IW rim. First ride tonight and will post my thoughts. SoCal loose over hard / ruts / sand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    Managed to score one of these and initial impressions are that this could be the preferred tire for most trail riders. Looks like a DHRII but with a tad shorter knobs and pronounced ramping on the center knobs and very robust looking side knobs. Grateful for the 880 weight vs the almost 1000g weight of the 2.5 Aggressor it will replace. Will probably purchase a second one and replace the massive WT DHF 2.5 as well. Went on easily and volume looks great on a 29mm IW rim. First ride tonight and will post my thoughts. SoCal loose over hard / ruts / sand.

Definitely post up your impressions. Iím curious how it does on our terrain and how the rear holds up. Iím on a 2.5 DHF 3C / 2.4 DHR2 DC now. I normally donít run 3C rears because they wear too fast here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Definitely sounds comparable to the Kenda Hellkat ATC...which is a little lighter than the likes of DHRII at 890g or so, and a little faster rolling for sure...without giving up much (if any) cornering grip. I run the Hellkat up front. The Dissector might be a little faster rolling yet, though might give up just a Corning traction to the likes of the DHRII and Hellkat. I'm in...went to order one just now and within past few hours they sold out.

mtbr member

Maxxis Dissector

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    Definitely post up your impressions. Iím curious how it does on our terrain and how the rear holds up. Iím on a 2.5 DHF 3C / 2.4 DHR2 DC now. I normally donít run 3C rears because they wear too fast here.
    I REALLY like this tire. Had it on Black Mountain today here in SD. Lighter feeling than DHR2, rolls better than Aggressor or DHR2, and brakes and corners as good as DHR2. Route was fire road, connector downhill, Manzanita, HAB up connector, Black Widow. Definitely put the tire through itís paces. Inflated to 20 psi. Definitely a keeper.

mtbr member
    There's a lot of knobs on that tire...

How thick/thin is the casing underneath the tread??

I had 27.5 x 2.4 DHRII once pissin' sealant, like it had had it's femoral artery severed!?

A very small, pointy stone, went straight through the casing between side & centre knobs.

Someone hit the nail on the head earlier, there's always a trade off.

PS - wish people would stop ripping off the Aggressor Have a 29 x 2.5 out back on my AM HT.

It's fantastic everywhere except for sticky, wet clay.

Sent from my Nokia X6
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Robertson
    I REALLY like this tire. Had it on Black Mountain today here in SD. Lighter feeling than DHR2, rolls better than Aggressor or DHR2, and brakes and corners as good as DHR2. Route was fire road, connector downhill, Manzanita, HAB up connector, Black Widow. Definitely put the tire through itís paces. Inflated to 20 psi. Definitely a keeper.
    Very interesting to hear, I ride those same trails on a regular basis. I'm doubtful as to the 3C longevity in the rear, I've never had a Maxxis 3C make it more than 1.5 months on San Diego trails...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Very interesting to hear, I ride those same trails on a regular basis. I'm doubtful as to the 3C longevity in the rear, I've never had a Maxxis 3C make it more than 1.5 months on San Diego trails...
    Literally YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rocks belong
    That's a bad ass looking tire

I'm swimming in spare rear tires (2.5 EXO Aggressor, 2.4 SE4's), but this will be on the short list when the time comes

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    With the EXO weighing 880 and the DH coming in around 1200, i really want an EXO+ or DD in the 1000g range. Great tire for the Southwest chunk.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Read through the thread and Maxxis's website, curious about running this as a rear tire for fall?

See lots of comparisons to DHR2 which is my go to for fall riding, does the tread pattern allow it it shed mud?(not full blown mud tire)

Shartacular Spectacular
    Quote Originally Posted by ehfour View Post
    Read through the thread and Maxxis's website, curious about running this as a rear tire for fall?

See lots of comparisons to DHR2 which is my go to for fall riding, does the tread pattern allow it it shed mud?(not full blown mud tire)
    Keep in mind, that it was designed as a dry and loose tire specifically. If youíre looking for something designed with more versatility in mind, DHRII is your ticket.
    18í SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9's, Float X2

18' SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9's, Avy Woodie

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Any front comparisons to the 2.6 Eliminator done yet?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    How about the dissector on the back with a dhr2 front, do you think it would be a problem or might the dissector overpower it? Also, do you know how the size compares between the 2.4 dhr2 and 2.4 dissector?

I am pretty happy with my dhr2 front and rear combo so I may keep it but the 3C rear is wearing pretty quickly so there is still a chance that i'll try a dissector on the rear for the heck of it. Sounds like this tire is faster than a dhr2 but with as good cornering grip which is great if true!

mtbr member
    How about the dissector on the back with a dhr2 front, do you think it would be a problem or might the dissector overpower it? Also, do you know how the size compares between the 2.4 dhr2 and 2.4 dissector?

I am pretty happy with my dhr2 front and rear combo so I may keep it but the 3C rear is wearing pretty quickly so there is still a chance that i'll try a dissector on the rear for the heck of it. Sounds like this tire is faster than a dhr2 but with as good cornering grip which is great if true!
    Being the HT 2 (as well as many other bikes now) comes with DHR2 front and rear that would prob be a good combo for those looking for a slight weight reduction and decreased rolling resistance in the rear. I was actually researching last night putting a DHR2 on the front but the lack of lateral siping has me concerned about washing out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Yeah my current bike is actually the HT2 so seeing you running all those different tires on your bike reminds me that I can run them too! I thought I was going to hate the DHR2s, especially as a front tire, and even more especially because I thought the demo bike was slow with them but I actually can't imagine running anything else so far on the bike as they have been great.

I surprisingly haven't had any issues washing the front out even with the same tire front and rear and I am riding more aggresive than ever. I hate riding the same tire front and rear out of fear of dumping the rear when I push too hard but I have no issues so far. Part of me wants to throw a 2.6 specialized butcher or something crazy like that up front but I think the bike would climb slower due to the extra weight upfront. I've also considered throwing a dhf or assegai upfont or keeping the dhr2 front and throwing a 2.3 on the rear (specialized eliminator or something along those lines) for faster rolling speed but I think now the dissector is the only other tire that I am seriously considering on the bike.

mtbr member
    I've been searching all over...anyone find 29er MaxxTerra for sale yet?

EDIT: Found one at a LBS in Bend, OR...the last one they had in stock. Everyone is backordered until December.
    Last edited by TMWTP; 08-28-2019 at 10:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just did my first ride with a 2.4 Max Terra on the front. My first impressions are that this tire has excellent corning grip, rolls quickly, and is more playful than bigger 2.6 tires. Compared with the Hans Dampf 2, it has significantly better cornering ability, better braking, and it isn't any slower on the uphills - exactly what I was looking for. I have another for the rear, which I'm going to throw on this weekend. I think this is going to be a very popular tire for Maxxis.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Compared with the Hans Dampf 2, it has significantly better cornering ability, better braking, and it isn't any slower on the uphills
    I feel like most any tire can be described that way when compared to a Hans Dampf. lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The HD2 Addix is a killer rear trail/ enduro type rear tire.

I'll try the Dissector out as a front but those sort of gaps are too large for a drive tire in my conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Was able to get two 29x2.4 EXO Dissectors - 859g and 862g.

Putting one on the front of my Ripley v4 with a Rekon DC in the rear. Will try it both front and back after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane_CA View Post
    Was able to get two 29x2.4 EXO Dissectors - 859g and 862g.

Putting one on the front of my Ripley v4 with a Rekon DC in the rear. Will try it both front and back after that.

It's the exact combo I'm thinking about. Let us know how it goes.
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've been running the EXO casing in the rear for a few weeks now, came off a 2.3 dual compound DHF. I'm a 200 pound has-been that can kind of corner in desert conditions. I could get away with 25 psi in the back on the DHF sans insert, but the Dissector was burping at that pressure and I couldn't keep air in the tire in the first ride. A few rock strikes, bacon strips, and broken rim later I was feeling pretty pissed at myself. I rebuilt the wheel and gave the tire a second shot with a cushcore, and it's pretty good. I wouldn't say it's any better than the 2.3 DHF in terms of rolling speed or cornering, but it does brake a little better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I've been running the EXO casing in the rear for a few weeks now, came off a 2.3 dual compound DHF. I'm a 200 pound has-been that can kind of corner in desert conditions. I could get away with 25 psi in the back on the DHF sans insert, but the Dissector was burping at that pressure and I couldn't keep air in the tire in the first ride. A few rock strikes, bacon strips, and broken rim later I was feeling pretty pissed at myself. I rebuilt the wheel and gave the tire a second shot with a cushcore, and it's pretty good. I wouldn't say it's any better than the 2.3 DHF in terms of rolling speed or cornering, but it does brake a little better.
    Hmm so its like a 2.3 dhf but wider/ more volume, lighter, and less durable. I did always like with a 2.3 dhf in the rear but if the grip is similar, IDK if that's good or not, I was hoping for more grip for sure. The extra volume over the 2.3 dhf might be enough of an advantage for me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
    EDIT: Found one at a LBS in Bend, OR...the last one they had in stock. Everyone is backordered until December.
    Jeez, sold only at certain retailers on the first day and sold out and now nobody can get a batch until December? As the new SC hightower shows, people have preordered full bikes and received them in much less time. I don't get why maxxis would release a new dry weather tire then not make it available until the start of winter when most riders have probably forgot about the announcement of the tire. I think they also took forever to release the EXO Assegai but at least you could order one version of the tire.

Hopefully things change and the tires become available before December.

mtbr member
    Got a few buddies who saw/rode mine up front on my HT and immediately went to buy one....NOPE. Sold out everywhere. Now I get the envious looks for the next few months. LOLOL Glad I pulled the trigger immediately.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hmm so its like a 2.3 dhf but wider/ more volume, lighter, and less durable. I did always like with a 2.3 dhf in the rear but if the grip is similar, IDK if that's good or not, I was hoping for more grip for sure. The extra volume over the 2.3 dhf might be enough of an advantage for me though.
    Jeez, sold only at certain retailers on the first day and sold out and now nobody can get a batch until December? As the new SC hightower shows, people have preordered full bikes and received them in much less time. I don't get why maxxis would release a new dry weather tire then not make it available until the start of winter when most riders have probably forgot about the announcement of the tire. I think they also took forever to release the EXO Assegai but at least you could order one version of the tire.

Hopefully things change and the tires become available before December.
    Try the Kenda Hellkat 2.4 ATC up front for a little faster rolling, lighter trail/enduro tire compared to the Minions. Mine is wearing great and I suspect it will fill the same roll/niche as the Dissector...for front duties anyways.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    That's a bad ass looking tire

I'm swimming in spare rear tires (2.5 EXO Aggressor, 2.4 SE4's), but this will be on the short list when the time comes
    Same here...I basically collect tires. I'm eager to give it a try as well, mostly cause I like trying new sh%@, and I really want to confirm my suspicions...that the performance will be indistinguishable from the Hellkat 2.4 ATC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    My front DHR2 won't be wearing out anytime soon I think even though the rear is getting pretty chewed up, especially the side knobs. That Kenda Hellkat keeps popping up on my list though so I may have to order a front and rear set one day. Hopefully the rear survives until I can actually order a dissector, but if not, its an option for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I replaced my dual DHRII setup with a Dissector 2.4 up front and a REKON 2.4 in the rear. I definitely love this combo for my trails, rolls much faster and i feel much more confident in the corners with the Dissector. We got some rain this week, and i was pleasantly surprised how well the Dissector was shedding the mud. I haven't used a ton of tire combo's like many of you, but i am definitely happy with the Dissector up front.

Perpetual Hack
    Can you compare the front DHR2 to the Dissector with regards to your trail conditions?
    I currently have a cut DHR2 front and a Rekon rear.
    Most of my riding is on hardpack with loose over (sand/gravel, and spring and fall pine straw and leaves - Lean angles are moderate hence the cut DHR2 on front)

Have been wondering about the Dissector in both positions...
    Dissector front with Rekon in back for normal trail riding.
    then using the cut DHR2 front, and a Dissector in rear for more challenging terrain.
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Can you compare the front DHR2 to the Dissector with regards to your trail conditions?
    I currently have a cut DHR2 front and a Rekon rear.
    Most of my riding is on hardpack with loose over (sand/gravel, and spring and fall pine straw and leaves - Lean angles are moderate hence the cut DHR2 on front)

Have been wondering about the Dissector in both positions...
    Dissector front with Rekon in back for normal trail riding.
    then using the cut DHR2 front, and a Dissector in rear for more challenging terrain.
    My trail conditions are pretty much all hard pack, with some loose sand in the dry summer. The DHRII's always felt like they were going to slide out on tight turns, and i always thought they were overkill for my trails. The Dissector/Rekon combo feels perfect for my trail, faster rolling, tons of grip, and i felt way more comfortable in the corners.

aka bOb
    Decided to take a last minute short day trip up Duluth MN for some park riding with really dry loose over hard steep rock shoots this weekend. I was too lazy to take the Dissectors (front and rear) off and install my DHF/Aggressor combo on my already out gunned 140/150 trail bike and all I have to say is nope nope nope. Although great tires for fast single track, hard packed jump lines, and even trail riding (unless super steep) they just had no braking grip and I never really developed any confidence in loose over hard berms. I'll prolly keep em on for trail riding or maybe keep just the rear and throw my Hellkat back on the front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Decided to take a last minute short day trip up Duluth MN for some park riding with really dry loose over hard steep rock shoots this weekend. I was too lazy to take the Dissectors (front and rear) off and install my DHF/Aggressor combo on my already out gunned 140/150 trail bike and all I have to say is nope nope nope. Although great tires for fast single track, hard packed jump lines, and even trail riding (unless super steep) they just had no braking grip and I never really developed any confidence in loose over hard berms. I'll prolly keep em on for trail riding or maybe keep just the rear and throw my Hellkat back on the front.
    So you were running the Hellkat up front and then tried the Dissector? Up front? My thought/assumption was they would corner equally, but the Dissector would would give up some braking in loose conditions in trade for a little faster rolling...

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG2 View Post
    So you were running the Hellkat up front and then tried the Dissector? Up front? My thought/assumption was they would corner equally, but the Dissector would would give up some braking in loose conditions in trade for a little faster rolling...
    Yeah I had the Hellkat on and thought it was a great front tire and pretty big volume compared to the Dissector that replaced it (just for the heck of it, love messing with tires). I don't think the Dissector corners as good but it is a touch faster. That being said I didn't try them back to back in the same conditions so not really apples to apples but I still think the Hellkat would have out performed the Dissector cornering and breaking for sure. I couldn't really lean into the front Dissector at all, not sure if it's a rim width issue or what but I'm on 29mm internal?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    How do you think your hellkat and dissector are vs the 2.4 dhr2? (assuming you have ridden the dhr2). I have more than enough braking capability with my 2.4 dhr2 front and rear so I definitely don't mind giving up some braking ability for increased rolling speed, but good cornering ability is a must for me.

From my experience the dhr2 is a hit or miss for cornering but I think its down to what pressure you are using, just a bit too much and that thing is drifty like crazy when slightly leaned over, but let just a bit more air out and suddenly no more cornering problem. Not sure if that has anything to do with your cornering issues with the dissector but it is important in general for sure.

aka bOb
    How do you think your hellkat and dissector are vs the 2.4 dhr2? (assuming you have ridden the dhr2). I have more than enough braking capability with my 2.4 dhr2 front and rear so I definitely don't mind giving up some braking ability for increased rolling speed, but good cornering ability is a must for me.

From my experience the dhr2 is a hit or miss for cornering but I think its down to what pressure you are using, just a bit too much and that thing is drifty like crazy when slightly leaned over, but let just a bit more air out and suddenly no more cornering problem. Not sure if that has anything to do with your cornering issues with the dissector but it is important in general for sure.
    Not enough time on the DHR2 so sorry there. I never had an issue with psi on my DHF's but maybe psi could have been my issue. I was running a little higher than usual due to major chunk without using cushcore but I was right around 26psi front 28psi rear so that should have been fine? I'm right around 180 ready to ride, I guess I could have tried dropping a little but without any rim protection I would have been a little nervous especially with the little lower volume of the Dissector 2.4. I will mess with lower psi on some loose over hard tamer trails this week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm 205lbs running 18-19psi up front with Ibis 35mm internal rims. I wouldn't want to run any more pressure than that as it's pretty firm, even for my weight.

aka bOb
    I'm 205lbs running 18-19psi up front with Ibis 35mm internal rims. I wouldn't want to run any more pressure than that as it's pretty firm, even for my weight.
    Thanks, I might give a little bit lower a go. I do know the last time I tried that I ending up with this tho
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Dissector-user_scoped_temp_data_msgr_photo_for_upload_1558906448867.jpg_1558906451215.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Not enough time on the DHR2 so sorry there. I never had an issue with psi on my DHF's but maybe psi could have been my issue. I was running a little higher than usual due to major chunk without using cushcore but I was right around 26psi front 28psi rear so that should have been fine? I'm right around 180 ready to ride, I guess I could have tried dropping a little but without any rim protection I would have been a little nervous especially with the little lower volume of the Dissector 2.4. I will mess with lower psi on some loose over hard tamer trails this week.
    28 psi for that weight imo is too high but I tend to run pretty low on my tires and never have ever burped a tire or dented a rim, but that's probably because of my trail conditions. I don't know how accurate my pump is but for me 26psi and over seemed to be when the dhr2s got drifty and not confidence inspiring when leaned over. I used to run even lower on 2.3s on narrower rims (18psi front, 21 psi rear on 24mm rims) but am running about 24-25psi on the rear dhr2 now (2.4 exo on 30mm rims) and 20-21psi upfront. Not sure if the side knobs are touching the ground when pedaling straight at that air pressure but the tires are gripping well, are compliant, cornering is great along with everything else.

In the past I found that running tires too low definitely causes the sidewalls to last several rides less than if pressures were just 1psi higher (after a certain number of rides, the cornering knobs begin to fold over when the tire is leaned and the tire becomes trickier to ride with) so I will have to see how the longevity is at these pressures. But considering how fast the knobs are wearing and tearing on the 3C rear I will probably kill off the tread and traction of the tire before the sidewall strength becomes an issue.

Anyways, I find that little changes in air pressure totally change how a tire behaves and every tire has a sweet spot that's low enough to give max traction and cornering grip but not so low that the casing is folding over when you aggressively corner, and I think lowering the air pressure even helps the braking traction. Considering that you are running a cushcore in your tires the pressures I listed might be too low for your tires to survive your trails but for my trails, I would certainly lower the pressure by a few psi and give it a go.

Edit: Just saw your rim above, I have definitely never done that before! Luckily my trails permit low pressures just fine.

aka bOb

Edit: Just saw your rim above, I have definitely never done that before! Luckily my trails permit low pressures just fine.
    Yeah mine not so much. I'll try a few psi lower but I also hate tire squirm on big hits, I've really never run much lower than 25 front 27 rear (maybe a touch lower on tame trails) and have always found performance spot on til the Dissectors.
    Last edited by bdundee; 09-03-2019 at 05:24 AM.

Rocks belong
    Man, 2.4 Kenda Hellkat ATC is sure getting a lot of love in this thread.

Is it that great of a rear tire?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Well, in response to the DHR comparison I love the DHRII...I've ran it front and rear, cut and uncut, for park and trail. But it's not the fastest roller for pedally outings. The Dissector should be a little faster roller, and lighter (depending on casing)...I'm still looking forward to trying on the front for trail and aggressive trail riding. But since they arent in stock, the Hellkat is getting love. And it should...for me it's been the perfect alternative to the DHR 2.4 or DHF 2.5 up front...for a faster rolling and lighter alternative. Dare I say, but I've found the Hellkat to corner equally to the Minons in most conditions, and rolls faster. It's basically a better Magic Mary.

Got rocks?
    The comparisons are very interesting. I have been running both a HD2 and Hellkat and find they roll very similar in the front on my hard pack trails. The HK grips better overall I think. The dissector seems like a good tire but not sure if itís worth swapping to one. Maybe as a rear but Iíll wait to see how the 2.6ís perform and get more reviews.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Well, in response to the DHR comparison I love the DHRII...I've ran it front and rear, cut and uncut, for park and trail. But it's not the fastest roller for pedally outings. The Dissector should be a little faster roller, and lighter (depending on casing)...I'm still looking forward to trying on the front for trail and aggressive trail riding. But since they arent in stock, the Hellkat is getting love. And it should...for me it's been the perfect alternative to the DHR 2.4 or DHF 2.5 up front...for a faster rolling and lighter alternative. Dare I say, but I've found the Hellkat to corner equally to the Minons in most conditions, and rolls faster. It's basically a better Magic Mary.

I'm interested in a lighter, faster rolling DHR2 than can still perform in the wet (PNW). Is the Hellcat a primarily dry option like the Dissector?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Running XR4/XR3 right now, in San Diego (black mountain, beeler/marthas, etc.). I like it, but could use a little more cornering traction in the rear. Some of our trails are just controlled slides down fist to baby head sized smooth rocks. With some dirt in between sometimes.

Bought another XR4 to put in the back, but maybe thinking Dissector up front, XR4 in the back might work.

mtbr member
    Can someone post up a pic of their Hellkat?
    The online pics make the side knobs look tiny and I've never seen one in person.

Got rocks?

I forgot to grab one when it was mounted this is what I got for now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
    Running XR4/XR3 right now, in San Diego (black mountain, beeler/marthas, etc.). I like it, but could use a little more cornering traction in the rear. Some of our trails are just controlled slides down fist to baby head sized smooth rocks. With some dirt in between sometimes.

Bought another XR4 to put in the back, but maybe thinking Dissector up front, XR4 in the back might work.
    I'm running the same combo in so cal- Dissector front, SE4 (for the casing) rear. The 4 series was always my favorite rear tire. From what I recall it did decently well as a front tire. The dissector feels like it has a little more bite cornering. They roll really well together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Can someone post up a pic of their Hellkat?
    The online pics make the side knobs look tiny and I've never seen one in person.
    They are bigger than they look in pics.

I cannot comment on their performance in the mud or as a rear tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quick review on my 29 x 2.4 Dissector EXO 3C MaxxTerra now that Iíve got a few hundred miles on it:

Iím loving this as a rear tire! Iím in the inter-mountain west, and paired with an EXO Assegai our front, is the best aggressive trail tire combo Iíve ever ridden. It rolls fast enough to be tolerable for pedally sections, has great braking traction on anything dry, about average climbing traction, and great cornering bite once laid into the side knobs. Also, when the rear does break loose, itís in a very controlled, predictable manner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Last I heard, this tire was sold out until December. Is that normal?

Perpetual Hack
    MEC (Canukistani REI) has the 29 x 2.4 EXO

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6008-3...RA-EXO-TR-WT-T

99.95 Canukistani Pesos, or 75.91 Feedom Units at todays Robber-Baron prices.
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    How did you get $75.91 FUs (meaning dollars not insults)? When I try the MEC link it lands me with $99.95 plus $19 shipping to Texas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    MEC (Canukistani REI) has the 29 x 2.4 EXO

99.95 Canukistani Pesos, or 75.91 Feedom Units at todays Robber-Baron prices.
    That's a lot of freedom units. I also found them at R2-bike for around the same price.
    https://r2-bike.com/MAXXIS-Tire-Diss...xxTerra-TR-EXO

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Man, 2.4 Kenda Hellkat ATC is sure getting a lot of love in this thread.

Is it that great of a rear tire?
    I can confirm all the good things about Hellkat... mine is 29x2.4 ATC... on my trail bike on front, with 29mm internal width rims, it's great. It's 60mm wide, good casing for trail/aggressive trail/light enduro use. Works good in soft/winter, but also in hardpack, It has a squared profile, instead of the rounder XR4, i feel that the bike seems that "doesn't want to lean at first" (maybe because it's not that round), you have to give the initial lean, but then it holds well. It's easy to feel the full engaged side knobs also in not crazy leaning angles.
    At only 850gr. it's a very good option for a trail bike, and in front i don't feel rolling resistance that much as i feel in rear tires...

Want to try the dissector in front, but reading this post i will continue with the hellkat front.

I think (and see photos) of many that use hellkats also on the rear and it should be great, but it's a more enduro/gravity use... for my trails i prefer some faster rolling rear.

Perpetual Hack
    MEC is Canukistani, so all prices are quoted in Canadian dollars.

Plug your total into a currency converter to get the exchange. Be sure to note that the converter you use has Forex fees included. (Exchange is not just a straight swap, there are service charges and fees also tacked onto the rate. Your CC company would be the best bet for checking)
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

Perpetual Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by abomofo View Post
    How did you get $75.91 FUs (meaning dollars not insults)? When I try the MEC link it lands me with $99.95 plus $19 shipping to Texas.
    MEC is Canukistani, so all prices are quoted in Canadian dollars.

Plug your total into a currency converter to get the exchange. Be sure to note that the converter you use has Forex fees included. (Exchange is not just a straight swap, there are service charges and fees also tacked onto the rate. Your CC company would be the best bet for checking)
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Gotcha. For some reason I figured that the MEC site was showing Dollars US with that lovely $ sign. Appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Saw a dissector on a bike in a shop today and it definitely looks like the knobs are shorter and tire overall possibly not as high volume as the 2.4 dhr2. I forgot about this tire until now but I think its an interesting choice for something that is faster than a dhr2 yet still fairly capable.

They are bigger than they look in pics.

I cannot comment on their performance in the mud or as a rear tire.

That tread pattern kind of looks like a cross between a magic mary, hans dampf and something else in that photo. Interesting.

Rocks belong
    my interest in this (specifically designed for rear) tire will increase when they release it in the rear tire appropriate dual-compound

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    my interest in this (specifically designed for rear) tire will increase when they release it in the rear tire appropriate dual-compound
    That will be a winner for sure.

Perpetual Hack
    Saw a dissector on a bike in a shop today and it definitely looks like the knobs are shorter and tire overall possibly not as high volume as the 2.4 dhr2. I forgot about this tire until now but I think its an interesting choice for something that is faster than a dhr2 yet still fairly capable...

29 x 2.4 Dissector EXO (Brand new - stretched for 24hrs at 50psi)

Tread Depth
    Center - .180
    Side - .250

Width
    Casing - 2.375
    Tread - 2.405

Pressure 28.5 psi
    Weight: 905 gms (860 claimed)

29 x 2.4 DHR2 EXO+ (Front ~ 15 miles wear on forest hardpack)

Tread Depth
    Center - .188
    Side - .250

Width
    Casing - 2.360
    Tread - 2.405

Pressure - 25 psi
    Weight - 1005gm (1010 claimed)

Rims - Spank Vibrocore 350 - internal 30.5mm

So Dissector and DHR2 are pretty much the same size.
    Now I just gotta ride it. Torrential thunderstorms atm, so no riding for a day or two.
    Last edited by mykel; 09-13-2019 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Updates
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Tread depth

29 x 2.4 DHR2 EXO+ (Front ~ 15 miles wear on forest hardpack)

Center - .180
    Side - .250

29 x 2.4 Dissector EXO (Brand new - stretched for 24hrs at 50psi)

Center - .180
    Side - .250

Width on 30.5mm internal at 28.5 psi

Casing - 2.375
    Tread - 2.405

So Dissector and DHR2 are pretty much the same size.
    Now I just gotta ride it. Torrential thunderstorms atm, so no riding for a day or two.
    Nice, that's a good thing I guess and looks must be very deceiving. How about the casing and tread width since you list only one dimension, is it also the same for both? I wonder where they managed to shave weight to get the dissector 90 grams lighter than a comparable dhr2.

And as above I will be even more interested when they come out with a dual compound tire too but at this point just getting a 3C would be okay.

Keep on Rockin...
    Sorry if this has been asked.

Seems that the casing found on the Minion WTs are significantly burlier than the Rekon WT. Like they are two entirely different casings, for very different applications.

How about the Dissector in the non-DH version? Minion casing or the lighter Rekon WT casing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Good question. Might get a clue based on how many TPI the casing is?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'd say the Dissector is ever so slightly thinner than my DHF EXO, feels like the same casing as the Assguy EXO. Not as light as a Rekon, aka tissue paper. I've already pretty much worn out my Dissector's knobs due to heavy use in rocky terrain, with no casing issues whatsoever. That said, I will run a DoubleDown, or maybe EXO+ Dissector once they come out, as I often kill rear tires in this weight class.

Rocks belong
    So it sounds like we (me?) need a DC EXO+ Dissector?

mtbr member
    My question is why is this tire so slow to roll out to all the retailers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So it sounds like we (me?) need a DC EXO+ Dissector?
    Sounds like the perfect rear tire for my neck of the woods.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    anyone had much time on one of these in the front? trying to decide on a new tire and was going to go with a DHF, but wondering how this would compare. I dont want or need the braking grip of a DHF, but still want as much cornering grip as i can get, I'm hoping this would be like a fast rolling DHF, that corners as well but gives up a little in straight line grip.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scandy1 View Post
    anyone had much time on one of these in the front? trying to decide on a new tire and was going to go with a DHF, but wondering how this would compare. I dont want or need the braking grip of a DHF, but still want as much cornering grip as i can get, I'm hoping this would be like a fast rolling DHF, that corners as well but gives up a little in straight line grip.
    I've been on it about a month and I'm quite happy with it on the front. Granted, I'm not riding the bikepark or racing enduro.

mtbr member
    Its exactly like what you wrote.

mtbr member
    X3. You are pretty much dead on. I came off the DHF 2.5 (overkill for me) and this thing made the front of my bike feel like it drank a redbull. LOL Fast as hell, brakes REALLY well, corners great. My new favorite tire. As soon as this flimsy Rekon wears out and we get some new casings on the shelf, I'll probably put an exo plus on the rear.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Too bad you can't hardly buy these things anywhere!

Anyone located a batch stateside?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

X2

Looking. . . . . .
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    X3. You are pretty much dead on. I came off the DHF 2.5 (overkill for me) and this thing made the front of my bike feel like it drank a redbull. LOL Fast as hell, brakes REALLY well, corners great. My new favorite tire. As soon as this flimsy Rekon wears out and we get some new casings on the shelf, I'll probably put an exo plus on the rear.
    Just tried it on the front with a DHR2 2.3 on the rear and loved the combo! Lightened the feel of the bike considerably and didnít give anything up on traction up or down.

aka bOb
    I need to put my set back on. I didn't like them on the steeps but now ya'll got me thinking it might have been a pressure thing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I need to put my set back on. I didn't like them on the steeps but now ya'll got me thinking it might have been a pressure thing.
    No need. If you have a 3c Exo 29er in like new condition I'll buy it off ya.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    This tire looks pretty square on 35mm rims.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Dissector-dzkxirbsqkwn1zwbqmnuxg.jpg  

Last edited by BmanInTheD; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:53 PM.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'd say 35mm ID wheels is the absolute upper limit for WT tires. That's getting into the 2.6" sized tire range.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    You guys consider that square? Look how far off center the side knobs are...I consider that rounded but I guess thatís how opinions differ. Iím running mine on 35mm internal as well - no issues with wash outs, they feel very supportive when cornering and I can tell based on how clean the side knobs are on flat ground that the center knobs are doing all the work in that regard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    You guys consider that square? Look how far off center the side knobs are...I consider that rounded but I guess thatís how opinions differ. Iím running mine on 35mm internal as well - no issues with wash outs, they feel very supportive when cornering and I can tell based on how clean the side knobs are on flat ground that the center knobs are doing all the work in that regard.
    I was just saying that in comparison to a pic above on 29mm rims. And compared to Rekons I had on there before. Glad to hear you like them, haven't ridden mine yet. Is there a vague feel in the transition like the DHF or is it much less noticeable? Not that that's a bad thing when you get used to it, just wondering if I need be aware of it.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I have the 27.5 x 2.5 WT DHF Front and Aggressor 2.5 WT rear setup currently on my Canyon Spectral. Its been great in summer in Australia but I found myself having to pump a lot more and pedal between sections when the trails had flatter sections.

Just received some Dissectors 27.5 x 2.4 WT version in EXO 3C Maxx Terra. Purchased them for $65 AUD which is about $40 USD so they were way cheaper than the usual bike shops selling them at retail.

The weights came in at 838g and 846g respectively.
    However I just measured my 2.5 Aggressor and its only 882g.
    So it looks like I wont be saving much in that department.
    Hopefully it rolls way better while keeping similar grip and braking traction.
    Is 3C Maxx terra slightly heavier than an equivalent Dual compound?

Anyway, keen to test it out soon on the rear first to see how it goes then will also try running front and rear combo as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by striker86 View Post
    Anyway, keen to test it out soon on the rear first to see how it goes then will also try running front and rear combo as well.
    Iím very interested in hearing your review especially how it compares as a rear on your Spectral vs the Agressor (with the DHF in front). Thanks in advance!

mtbr member

Maxxis Dissector

Quote Originally Posted by striker86 View Post
    I have the 27.5 x 2.5 WT DHF Front and Aggressor 2.5 WT rear setup currently on my Canyon Spectral. Its been great in summer in Australia but I found myself having to pump a lot more and pedal between sections when the trails had flatter sections.

Just received some Dissectors 27.5 x 2.4 WT version in EXO 3C Maxx Terra. Purchased them for $65 AUD which is about $40 USD so they were way cheaper than the usual bike shops selling them at retail.

The weights came in at 838g and 846g respectively.
    However I just measured my 2.5 Aggressor and its only 882g.
    So it looks like I wont be saving much in that department.
    Hopefully it rolls way better while keeping similar grip and braking traction.
    Is 3C Maxx terra slightly heavier than an equivalent Dual compound?

The aggressor doesnít have very much tread so I doubt the Dissector will roll faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How does the Dissector work as a front in both side grip and RR compared to the Assegai, DHF, and others?
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    How does the Dissector work as a front in both side grip and RR compared to the Assegai, DHF, and others?
    Anyone?

So far so good as a front tire - had minion DHF 2.5 prior. Has excellent cornering and straight braking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ordered a Dissector for a new front from R2 as they had it in stock and I order my Schwalbe rear tires in pairs from there cause they are so much cheaper.
    Will update in a few weeks. Still searching for that ideal front tire.
    Going to try one of these and the Edge 22 back to back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have 150 miles or my rear Dissector and I suspect I have 150 more miles in it. In the past, Iíve gotten around 500-600 miles out of less aggressive dual compound rear tires. Iím hoping Maxxis ends up making a dual compound Dissector.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Just did my first ride today on the 2.4 3C Dissector in the rear, and I have the Assegai 2.5 up front. I am moving from the DHR II 2.4 in the back.

I am riding dry Northern California trails, but I think I have found my new favorite tire combo. The assegai up front provides unreal traction and braking, and the dissector rolls so unbelievable well compared to the DHR II while still providing great braking and cornering. Highly recommend!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Ok so Ive done two days with DHF in the front and Dissector on the rear now and Im very happy with it as well.

Did all my usual trails from Blues up to Double Blacks.

Rolls better than the Aggressor 2.5 from the get go. I noticed I was braking a lot more on the steeper runs so it was keeping speed easily.

Cornering grip is excellent. No difference between it and the aggressor.

Braking traction about the same, maybe slightly less but nothing to worry about.

I might not put one on the front just yet and wear out the DHF first. Hopefully by then there is a DC version and Ill swap the rear 3C to the front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Any more reviews of this in the wet/somewhat wet (trail not Park)? DHF/DHR2 right now, wondering how much I'd give up in the PNW by swapping out the DHR2 for something a little faster rolling. Sounds like its an ideal aggressive summer tire!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Any more reviews of this in the wet/somewhat wet (trail not Park)? DHF/DHR2 right now, wondering how much I'd give up in the PNW by swapping out the DHR2 for something a little faster rolling. Sounds like its an ideal aggressive summer tire!
    I think you are right, aggressive summer tire for dry conditions is how I would characterize this tire.

Havenít tested in the wet yet but my plan is to go back to the DHR II in the rear once it gets wet. To echo what was just said the Dissector truly rolls so well, but my local trails are extremely steep so once they get slick I need the anchor that is the DHR II when I go down.

Also - unrelated but I think the Assegai is everything that it was advertised to be. Coming from a DHF up front I love how there is a smoother transition from the center knobs to the side nobs, unlimited traction once it gets steep!

Got rocks?

Maxxis Dissector

How does it do on hard packed loose over hard kitty litter like trails and rocks? My trails are a lot of that and off camber too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    It did fantastic in mammoth. Not sure if that is similar to the kitty litter you ride but transitioning from sliding through kitty little to grabbing pumice rocks the tire was durable, predictable and stable in the EXO cases. Can't wait for EXO+

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I ordered a pair of EXO Dissectors off of R2 since they don't exist in the U.S. Does anyone know why they're out of stock for so long here?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have one on the shelf myself, also from R2.

Maybe I'll try it out next.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    I was just saying that in comparison to a pic above on 29mm rims. And compared to Rekons I had on there before. Glad to hear you like them, haven't ridden mine yet. Is there a vague feel in the transition like the DHF or is it much less noticeable? Not that that's a bad thing when you get used to it, just wondering if I need be aware of it.
    Sorry I thought I replied to this, but I guess not, lol. No vague feeling at all, I haven't had any oh-sh*t moments and I've pushed this tire pretty hard. It corners VERY well for a trail weight tire and is absolutely predictable, even in loose over hard conditions. Really loving it thus far with a Rekon DC out back.

aka bOb
    I'm guessing from all the replies here I'm the only one that doesn't care much for it on the front? I mean it does alright for normal trail duties but I really like my modded 2.4 DHR up front much more and only a few grams heavier.

mtbr member

Perpetual Hack
    On the trailbike, I too am a fan of a cut/trimmed DHR2 up front (Dissector in back) @bdundee - you are not alone.
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

I'm late to the party as well... but someone here recommended MEC (in Canada). They had some 29r x 2.4s, and shipping really wasn't that bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    How does it do on hard packed loose over hard kitty litter like trails and rocks? My trails are a lot of that and off camber too.

I've been running one now for a while on my Evil Offering here in Vegas. Honestly I'd be hard pressed to say it is any better than my usual 2.5 WT Aggressor. In fact I almost feel as if the Aggressor may be better at least here in my rocky, dusty, desert environment. I did not notice and vast improvement in traction or cornering.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scot45 View Post
    I've been running one now for a while on my Evil Offering here in Vegas. Honestly I'd be hard pressed to say it is any better than my usual 2.5 WT Aggressor. In fact I almost feel as if the Aggressor may be better at least here in my rocky, dusty, desert environment. I did not notice and vast improvement in traction or cornering.
    The Dissector is too gappy for hardpack as a rear tire imo where you want more tread touching and edges on the ground. Just by looking at it I would not consider it an upgrade as a rear tire over the Aggressor in your conditions. Now if you were riding in the loamy forests of the PNW the story would be vastly different.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Odd, I would think Vegas being a desert would be full of really dry and lose and loose over hard terrain, Kind of like Australia which Maxis and Brosnan indicate the tire was designed for. 🧐

What is the terrain like on the trails you ride? Are you on more hard pack sand stone than you are loose gravel/sand? I found when upgrading tires it takes several rides to get used to the higher grip levels and be comfortable going faster and ride slightly different to take advantage of the added grip. Is it possible you just need to go faster? 😁

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector24 View Post
    Odd, I would think Vegas being a desert would be full of really dry and lose and loose over hard terrain, Kind of like Australia which Maxis and Brosnan indicate the tire was designed for. 🧐

Exactly what I was thinking.

Got rocks?
    Youíd be surprised how hard the ground is in the desert after being ridden on for years. Most desert ground is pretty firm