Maxxis Dissector - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Butcher, HighRoller2 and Dissector all undercut quickly because of that big transition zone. Allows you to put a ton of pressure into the cornering knobs, which makes them grip amazingly but wear quickly.

mtbr member
    Side knobs undercutting or not, you couldn't pay me to ride that Mortello tire two posts back. Unless that thing defies science, my brain tells me there is no way that those side knobs do what most of us on this thread (referencing minion cornering) are going to get even half of that experience.

Here in VA, my 3C front and DC rear are holding up just as I would expect them to. I don't see reason to scare people to death when we got a few dudes in Cali properly destroying tires. (I'm just jealous LOL)
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Side knobs undercutting or not, you couldn't pay me to ride that Mortello tire two posts back. Unless that thing defies science, my brain tells me there is no way that those side knobs do what most of us on this thread (referencing minion cornering) are going to get even half of that experience.

Here in VA, my 3C front and DC rear are holding up just as I would expect them to. I don't see reason to scare people to death when we got a few dudes in Cali properly destroying tires. (I'm just jealous LOL)
    When I guinea pig it, Iíll let you guys know how it holds up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    The center knobs are worn though. There's no way to tell how or who rode that tire. Simply not enough information, but my brain tells me it wasn't leaned over much.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member

Donít hurt that brain too much lol just cuz a tire doesnít fall apart doesnít it mean a canít lay a mean corner. Iím currently running a Martello rear and it is a rad tire with great cornering capabilities, plus the rubber compound is much tougher than the 3C Maxxis tires Iíve ran in the past. I will say a minion def does have an advantage in the really loose stuff; but thatís not quite a fair comparison, as Vittoria has tires more directly designed for those conditions.

Thanks for all your input on the Dissector, looking forward to running it as an XC/light trail front tire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Maxxis website says Dissector 29x2.4 WT Maxxterra DD do exists but I can't find it on sale. Only Maxxgrip DH casing but that is overkill for me.

mtbr member
    Just ordered the 2.6 Dissector for my back tire replacement. I'm thinking this might be too big. Has anyone tried it? Is it similar to the 2.6 Rekon in volume? What would you pair it with up front? I'm thinking the Assegai 2.5 WT but worried it might be overkill for many of my faster, smoother trails. A

Also considering the HRII 2.5 WT. I've had the DHF 2.5WT on front many times and could default back to that which I am pretty happy with, but would like something with a little more square profile.... but but don't want smaller than the 2.6 Dissector.

Is the HRII 2.5WT pretty similar size/volume to the Assegai 2.5 WT?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Just ordered the 2.6 Dissector for my back tire replacement. I'm thinking this might be too big. Has anyone tried it? Is it similar to the 2.6 Rekon in volume? What would you pair it with up front? I'm thinking the Assegai 2.5 WT but worried it might be overkill for many of my faster, smoother trails. A

Also considering the HRII 2.5 WT. I've had the DHF 2.5WT on front many times and could default back to that which I am pretty happy with, but would like something with a little more square profile.... but but don't want smaller than the 2.6 Dissector.

Is the HRII 2.5WT pretty similar size/volume to the Assegai 2.5 WT?
    I run the 2.6 Assagai and the 2.6 dissector. Pretty good combo. Why not go that route? The HR2 is really slow compared to the dissector.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Just ordered the 2.6 Dissector for my back tire replacement. I'm thinking this might be too big. Has anyone tried it? Is it similar to the 2.6 Rekon in volume? What would you pair it with up front? I'm thinking the Assegai 2.5 WT but worried it might be overkill for many of my faster, smoother trails.
    Dissector is somewhat smaller than advertised. On 35mm rim 29x2.6 was slightly over 2.5 when I measured mine.

Assegai is definitely overkill for my local fast flow trails which are mostly dry hardpack or dirt. I was riding Dissector EXO / Aggressor DD and yesterday switched to Assegai EXO+ / Aggressor DD because I'm planning to go to local bike park this weekend. Assegai is definitely heavier, slower rolling tire and I don't feel I don't need that much bite.

I think a good combo to Dissector rear will be Martello in front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    I run the 2.6 Assagai and the 2.6 dissector. Pretty good combo. Why not go that route? The HR2 is really slow compared to the dissector.
    I may do that. I like those big square side knobs. Is it any faster rolling than the HRII?
    Also a little put off by the weight, although itís not that much heavier than the 2.5WT DHF EXO+ Iím running now I suppose.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Any updates regarding the Dissector as a front tire?
    As many others, i also want to try a dissector 2.4 Maxxterra in front, and my Rekon 2.4 rear.
    This should be my fast setup on the wheelset for the dry, easy trails near house that i ride often.
    For this type of trails, I gived another try to front Rekon 2.6 maxxterra/Ikon 2.35 maxxspeed. 30mm rims, even at very low psi, i simply don't like the rekon front... it really never give a good feeling when it will grip... and in the downs section i'm not having fun as usual...
    Front tire that i liked most: Kenda pinner 2.4 atc in the dry, Kenda Hellkat 2.4 atc in winter, DHR2 2.6 maxxterra.
    Although in the past I was an enthusiast of the 2.6 front tires for trail riding, after many back to back, I think i like 2.4 best.
    The dissector in 2.4 could be a good front option for this scenario... a sort of kenda pinner style of grip, but more trail oriented(lighter and better rolling), and still having fun in the downs?

Those who did not like the 2.4 dissector front, was it because in a more extreme enduro usage, the dissector showed its limits as a front, or did they not appreciate it even for easier trails?

mtbr member
    Iím considering this as an option as well. 2.6 Dissector in front with a 2.3 DHRII in the back (because I have a new one laying around that came with my bike.).

It would be my fast and light set up as opposed to my deep and steep enduro set up (Assegai front; Dissector rear).

Still deciding which way Iíll go.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I run it as a rear and have contemplated it as a front tire while looking at it. Can't come up with a reason why it wouldn't work. Maybe that continuous spread of rubber for center tread would float and wonder around?...dunno

mtbr member
    I run the 2.4 on the front and it I find it to work well in my conditions which are dry, loose and rocky. It has good cornering and braking characteristics while rolling pretty well. I've previously run a DHF and a Martello 2.6 My only issue with it is for a front I would like it a bit larger so I have thought about running the 2.6. Currently I'm running DSC front and rear and it's been a good trail combo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've been running 2.4 Dissector front/2.4 Rekon back on my Ripley for a while here in dry, dusty, sometimes rocky Park City, UT and have been pleasantly surprised by it. So much that I'm running 2.6/2.4 Dissector F/R on my Ripmo at the bike park and shuttle trails. Happy with that combo too. Tried the Assegai EXO+ 2.5 up front but was so much heavier and slower I took it off real quick.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Ordered a 29" 2.4 exo+ for the rear and finally got it in after months.

So they are out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Ordered a 29" 2.4 exo+ for the rear and finally got it in after months.

So they are out there.
    Where did you find that unicorn? I want one for my rear but canít even find a place to order one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantic29 View Post
    Where did you find that unicorn? I want one for my rear but canít even find a place to order one.

I got mine from a seller on Amazon called bikewagon. No idea if they still have stock though.

mtbr member
    Ok, I've been Mr Positive on this thread for a while, but I'm here with a ride report and a change of tune. I'm officially done with the exo DC 2.4 on the back of my bike. The Front is fantastic and has handled everything I have given it from pedal days to bike park. I may try to find an Exo+ but more than likely I will go to a Rekon or DHR2. Here is why...

I have now burped (at slightly higher pressures than normal) this rear tire and ruined two rides. It happened at a flow trail a month ago and happened at the start of a 2 mile descent this weekend again. Nothing abnormal here other than the tire just will not uphold itself to any sideways pressure off of landings. I have also have a buddy burp his as well.

So whats the deal? I have thousands of miles on DHR2's (Exo) and I also put 700 miles recently on an exo Rekon and never had them burp. I am really thinking in an apples to apples comparison, something is causing this thing to go on me. I am on Enduro 305's from I9 FWIW.

Either way, I am not climbing an hour and ruining descents for the sake of less than 100g on the rear. I just wont. So I am debating what to do in my head. I have DHR2's slightly used in the garage, or I can order a Rekon (not my favorite fall tire with leaves on the ground).

Maybe when the Exo+ Dissector is plentiful I will look at the real weights and weigh out the pros and cons but until then I am done with this thing. FYI, the last time it rolled and burped, the side wall was so thin that it snake bit a hole in the sidewall at the rim making it super hard for sealant to seal.

This rear was 915g I believe. Weird.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Running Cush Core? I am on mine and haven't had any problems. I'm not really a hard charger in berms though haha

Ok, I've been Mr Positive on this thread for a while, but I'm here with a ride report and a change of tune. I'm officially done with the exo DC 2.4 on the back of my bike. The Front is fantastic and has handled everything I have given it from pedal days to bike park. I may try to find an Exo+ but more than likely I will go to a Rekon or DHR2. Here is why...

I have now burped (at slightly higher pressures than normal) this rear tire and ruined two rides. It happened at a flow trail a month ago and happened at the start of a 2 mile descent this weekend again. Nothing abnormal here other than the tire just will not uphold itself to any sideways pressure off of landings. I have also have a buddy burp his as well.

So whats the deal? I have thousands of miles on DHR2's (Exo) and I also put 700 miles recently on an exo Rekon and never had them burp. I am really thinking in an apples to apples comparison, something is causing this thing to go on me. I am on Enduro 305's from I9 FWIW.

Either way, I am not climbing an hour and ruining descents for the sake of less than 100g on the rear. I just wont. So I am debating what to do in my head. I have DHR2's slightly used in the garage, or I can order a Rekon (not my favorite fall tire with leaves on the ground).

Maybe when the Exo+ Dissector is plentiful I will look at the real weights and weigh out the pros and cons but until then I am done with this thing. FYI, the last time it rolled and burped, the side wall was so thin that it snake bit a hole in the sidewall at the rim making it super hard for sealant to seal.

mtbr member
    No cush core. In 7 years of maxxis tires, I have never burped an exo casing in my "normal" riding routine. This one twice. Thats the line up between Rekon to DHR2. Could be coincidence, but I am starting to not think so since my buddy did his as well.

Cush Core seems like an amazing addition but its just too much for what I ride98% of the time. I have been riding more, and perhaps a little harder of late, but we'll see. The tire just seems to carry its weight in the tread, and very little in the side walls...thats my best guess.

It's a fantastic tire. There is always a compromise for sure.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    My last Dissector (DC exo) was 970 grams. It is possible there were other factors, to little psi or the bead was stretched or faulty.
    I will say I just seated a new E+13 TRS and the bead is super tight compared to Maxxis and a much stouter sidewall at only 80 grams heavier. Guinea pig'd a lot of different front tires this early season/spring. Nothing outperforms the TRS up front for me. I can run less psi without collapsing the sidewall and doesn't bounce off everything...that 80 grams is well worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Thanks for the update and from one of the biggest fans in here so that means something! I spent way too much time deciding on whether to run one or not and based on the overall light weight of the 2.4 exo dc, I decided it was probably too light duty of a tire for me and went with a 2.5 Aggressor dc exo to go with a 2.5 DHF 3c exo front. This is coming from dual 2.5 Assegai exo+'s which are slow AF but stick like glue. If the Aggressor gives me any reliability issues, I'll toss a 2.4 DHR2 exo+ on it and be done with it. I'll also try the Assegai/Aggressor combo which I'm sure will be great but heavier. It's tempting to try and save weight and speed up the bike but sometimes it's just not worth it. I'm starting my experiment when they get here! Good luck with your next rear tire.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    My last Dissector (DC exo) was 970 grams. It is possible there were other factors, to little psi or the bead was stretched or faulty.
    I will say I just seated a new E+13 TRS and the bead is super tight compared to Maxxis and a much stouter sidewall at only 80 grams heavier. Guinea pig'd a lot of different front tires this early season/spring. Nothing outperforms the TRS up front for me. I can run less psi without collapsing the sidewall and doesn't bounce off everything...that 80 grams is well worth it.

Which compound did you go with for the e13? Iíve been wanting to try the trs race, heard good things

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    Thanks for the update and from one of the biggest fans in here so that means something! I spent way too much time deciding on whether to run one or not and based on the overall light weight of the 2.4 exo dc, I decided it was probably too light duty of a tire for me and went with a 2.5 Aggressor dc exo to go with a 2.5 DHF 3c exo front. This is coming from dual 2.5 Assegai exo+'s which are slow AF but stick like glue. If the Aggressor gives me any reliability issues, I'll toss a 2.4 DHR2 exo+ on it and be done with it. I'll also try the Assegai/Aggressor combo which I'm sure will be great but heavier. It's tempting to try and save weight and speed up the bike but sometimes it's just not worth it. I'm starting my experiment when they get here! Good luck with your next rear tire.
    Itís interesting that between tires of the same compound and casing the sidewall reliability is different. Theoretically a DC EXO should be similar going from dissector to aggressor, but it sounds like the aggressor has a stiffer sidewall for DC EXO. I run a DHF/Aggressor combo, both EXO casings, and donít have any issues. Granted I run 28/30psi f/r because I weigh 250, but still

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

hispanic mechanic

Super interesting! I am fascinated by how different riders' experiences can be!

I've just taken off a TRS+ and put the 2.6" Dissector EXO back on. I found the e*13 to let go in some corners where I'm able to dig the side knobs of the Dissector in.

Loose over hardpack/dry and dusty Boise trails. I started with 25psi in the e*13, went up to 27, eased all the way down to 23 where it started to squirm. I can ride the Dissector down to 23, but prefer it between 24-25psi.

I absolutely loved the e*13 SS LG1 on the back, but cut it right on the bead, resulting in a broken thread in the sidewall casing and a corresponding warp.
    Support your local trail organization.

www.swimba.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider77 View Post
    Which compound did you go with for the e13? Iíve been wanting to try the trs race, heard good things

I've run the plus in every iteration they've made and prefer it overall for hardpack/ loose over hardpack. I've run 1 race and if I ran them through the winter that's the compound I'd choose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Super interesting! I am fascinated by how different riders' experiences can be!

I've just taken off a TRS+ and put the 2.6" Dissector EXO back on. I found the e*13 to let go in some corners where I'm able to dig the side knobs of the Dissector in.

Loose over hardpack/dry and dusty Boise trails. I started with 25psi in the e*13, went up to 27, eased all the way down to 23 where it started to squirm. I can ride the Dissector down to 23, but prefer it between 24-25psi.

I absolutely loved the e*13 SS LG1 on the back, but cut it right on the bead, resulting in a broken thread in the sidewall casing and a corresponding warp.
    That is interesting. I've ridden Boise and the tread conditions are MUCH different than here in the green Cascades. Could your level traction on the 2.6 dissector be due to a larger footprint? I'd also wager it's better in deeper Sandy/dusty stuff as the cornering channel/dead space is significant on the Dissector.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    No cush core. In 7 years of maxxis tires, I have never burped an exo casing in my "normal" riding routine. This one twice. Thats the line up between Rekon to DHR2. Could be coincidence, but I am starting to not think so since my buddy did his as well.

Cush Core seems like an amazing addition but its just too much for what I ride98% of the time. I have been riding more, and perhaps a little harder of late, but we'll see. The tire just seems to carry its weight in the tread, and very little in the side walls...thats my best guess.

It's a fantastic tire. There is always a compromise for sure.
    Sounds like youíd benefit from some CushCore XCs. They help a lot with sidewall squirm, have eliminated burping for me, dampen vibration somewhat, and offer some but not a lot of rim protection. All at a reasonable weight, and a slightly unreasonable price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    Sounds like youíd benefit from some CushCore XCs. They help a lot with sidewall squirm, have eliminated burping for me, dampen vibration somewhat, and offer some but not a lot of rim protection. All at a reasonable weight, and a slightly unreasonable price.
    That's what I'm running, don't see a need for the regular Cush Cores, XC is plenty good and a lot easier to install.

mtbr member
    Itís interesting that between tires of the same compound and casing the sidewall reliability is different. Theoretically a DC EXO should be similar going from dissector to aggressor, but it sounds like the aggressor has a stiffer sidewall for DC EXO.
    A lot of people think all EXO tires are the same tire with different treads. EXO is just a protection layer/level. It doesn't mean the rest of the tire is the same. Rubber gauges will vary throughout the tire (for multiple reasons). I also would suspect differences in bead, bead filler profiles, main carcasses, topping rubber gauge, etc. For example the 60 tpi EXO DC Rekon in 2.4 and 2.6, both have the same knob height and the same weight but the 2.6 is obviously larger. The 2.6 is definitely a lighter thinner construction.

hispanic mechanic
    That is interesting. I've ridden Boise and the tread conditions are MUCH different than here in the green Cascades. Could your level traction on the 2.6 dissector be due to a larger footprint? I'd also wager it's better in deeper Sandy/dusty stuff as the cornering channel/dead space is significant on the Dissector.

Oof- yeah, we're DEFINITELY riding different dirt!

Honestly the 2.6" Dissector isn't all that much wider than the 2.4" TRS+ (who's shocked?!?) but that could be a part of it. I do think that the wider gap and the inside angle of the side knobs is a large part of it.

This is where riding style also comes into play. I've gotten really accustomed to cornering on a DHF, so that big gap works for me.

So far I'm back to increasing my speed on downhills.

BTW, I'm really appreciating this discussion and your feedback on this.
    Support your local trail organization.

www.swimba.org

jrm
    mtbr member

recon in back/..

2.4 and it works most the time but i've pushed its braking traction a couple of times and didnt like how it responded. Ill keep it on there for now but i have a SE4 in the wings im ready to try.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantic29 View Post

My LBS, just gave them the part # off Maxxis website and they put it in with their distributer I guess.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'd agree with the above except I'd actually say that it climbs better for me. I think its been debated above, but I think this entirely depends on where you are riding and what you are riding on.
    Im looking to switch to the Dissector to replace my Aggressor to try something new. For comparison, where do you ride? What kind of terrain? I'm in Colorado's front range mostly and it's a combination of Rocky and loose over hardpack here 90% of the time.

Currently riding a DHF 2.5 up front, but might move to the DHRII 2.4 up front at the same time.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JRod0981 View Post
    Im looking to switch to the Dissector to replace my Aggressor to try something new. For comparison, where do you ride? What kind of terrain? I'm in Colorado's front range mostly and it's a combination of Rocky and loose over hardpack here 90% of the time.

Currently riding a DHF 2.5 up front, but might move to the DHRII 2.4 up front at the same time.
    For that kind of terrain it hooks up noticeably better in corners, it doesnt feel super locked in like a dhr or dhf on the rear but not far off. braking feels about the same as the aggressor if not a tad better. where i still like the aggressor better though is how predictable and easy it is to drift, how you can have the rear sliding around but still with good grip. the dissector more rails turns instead. i had the exo 3c and its toast after maybe 15-20 rides though, im gonna try out the dual compound next.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've ridden Dissector (EXO+) and Aggressor (EXO) at White Ranch, Hall, Heil, and Lefthand OHV.

Aggressor has more "buzz" when rolling compared to aggressor, but I haven't noticed my climb times being slower.

Breaking traction is better, especially on steeper and or looser (Lefthand).

Turning: I'd agree that the Dissector rails more than the Aggressor which is more drifty

Climbing Steep: Dissector has slightly less traction on steep / loose climbs, but not enough difference to base judgement on

EXO+ casing is noticeably more damp than EXO

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrpickels View Post
    I've ridden Dissector (EXO+) and Aggressor (EXO) at White Ranch, Hall, Heil, and Lefthand OHV.

Aggressor has more "buzz" when rolling compared to aggressor, but I haven't noticed my climb times being slower.

Breaking traction is better, especially on steeper and or looser (Lefthand).

Turning: I'd agree that the Dissector rails more than the Aggressor which is more drifty

Climbing Steep: Dissector has slightly less traction on steep / loose climbs, but not enough difference to base judgement on

EXO+ casing is noticeably more damp than EXO
    Excellent feedback man. Ridden quite a few of those gems and yesterday was at Floyd Hill where I really thought I needed new tires. I ride a lot in Winter Park as well with the occasional park day at Trestle thrown in there for good measure. I think i'm going to move to the 2.4 DHRII and 2.4 DC Dissector in the back for my SB5.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scandy1 View Post
    For that kind of terrain it hooks up noticeably better in corners, it doesnt feel super locked in like a dhr or dhf on the rear but not far off. braking feels about the same as the aggressor if not a tad better. where i still like the aggressor better though is how predictable and easy it is to drift, how you can have the rear sliding around but still with good grip. the dissector more rails turns instead. i had the exo 3c and its toast after maybe 15-20 rides though, im gonna try out the dual compound next.
    Good feedback. Sadly they won't be making an Exo+ DC since the regular DC is pretty light. I was too unsure if the tire would be durable enough, based on the overall tire weight since not all Exo's are the same, and went for an Aggressor.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Has anyone seen a OEM version with "white" stampings?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Yes, but they don't fit Yetis

Maxxis Dissector-maxxis-rekon-dissector-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    Yes, but they don't fit Yetis

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maxxis-Rekon-Dissector-2.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	375.5 KB 
ID:	1355599
    Lol

Does anyone have one for sale?

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    My time appears due for tire issues. I am in Phoenix, so that sorta goes with the territory, but Iíd gone a touch over a year without destroying a tire.

Last week, a DHR II I was running as a front, huge sidewall gash on a tire with less than 20 miles on it.

This morning, my Dissector Exo DC 29x2.4, nearly a 1-inch gash in the tread block. This tire had roughly 100 miles on it, most with Cushcore, though the insert wasnít installed today.

Iíve had an OK experience with the tire overall in Phoenix, Sedona and Flagstaff. Pedals well, decent traction. Sorta a middle of the road tire for me, but I probably wouldnít buy another one.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Been running Martello on the back of my 160 travel bike for a few weeks now, and just finished a weekend of park riding on it.
    It definitely is up there with the best for cornering on hardpack/rocks, though it did slip a bit when going balls out in moon dust, and there isn't a tire anywhere that i would expect not to in those conditions.
    Only thing I struggled a bit with was braking traction on the steepest loosest DH track as it was insanely dry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    My time appears due for tire issues. I am in Phoenix, so that sorta goes with the territory, but Iíd gone a touch over a year without destroying a tire.

Last week, a DHR II I was running as a front, huge sidewall gash on a tire with less than 20 miles on it.

This morning, my Dissector Exo DC 29x2.4, nearly a 1-inch gash in the tread block. This tire had roughly 100 miles on it, most with Cushcore, though the insert wasnít installed today.

Iíve had an OK experience with the tire overall in Phoenix, Sedona and Flagstaff. Pedals well, decent traction. Sorta a middle of the road tire for me, but I probably wouldnít buy another one.
    Sounds like you should be on DD casings then, regular EXO is very prone to sidewall cuts from rocks in my experience.

mtbr member

Maxxis Dissector

Quote Originally Posted by Losvar View Post
    Been running Martello on the back of my 160 travel bike for a few weeks now, and just finished a weekend of park riding on it.
    It definitely is up there with the best for cornering on hardpack/rocks, though it did slip a bit when going balls out in moon dust, and there isn't a tire anywhere that i would expect not to in those conditions.
    Only thing I struggled a bit with was braking traction on the steepest loosest DH track as it was insanely dry.
    How does the Martello compare rolling resistance wise to other stuff youíve run out back? And are you running trail casing or enduro casing, and how does it compare to the equivalent maxxis casing? Iím hoping to run a 2.35 Martello in the trail casing as a bit more protection than an aggressor exo

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I have been running the Dissector 2.4 dual compound on the rear for several weeks now. I really like it, fast rolling and hooks up very well, loose and rocky, offcamber, etc..Maxxis Dissector-occam-i9-issector.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Today first test:
    140mm trail bike Orbea occam m30, Dissector 29x2.40 Maxxterra in front, Rekon 29x2.40 dual on rear.
    internal 30mm wheels.
    Mainly hardpack with dust/kitty litter over hard, some roots. Very dry.

Well, rolls very well, Dissector seems a good compromise between a Rekon and a DHRII.
    Someone say it's a mini DHF... it could be... watching the dissector spinning, it has a very wide open channel (more than the DHR) but, when leaning i haven't felt any vague spot.
    In normal trail riding (so not pushing hard), dissector front seems really good both in corners and in rolling.
    I confirm that dissector is a good front tire for light trail bikes when pedaling is also important.
    Hope that the good feelings remain the same for the next rides.

For more nasty trails i can put the dissector in the rear and put my DHR II on front

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    How does the Martello compare rolling resistance wise to other stuff youíve run out back? And are you running trail casing or enduro casing, and how does it compare to the equivalent maxxis casing? Iím hoping to run a 2.35 Martello in the trail casing as a bit more protection than an aggressor exo

Running the enduro casing, and it rolls on par with DD Aggressor and SG Hans Dampf, but I'm more comfortable with the cornering capabilities of the Martello compared to both of those, especially over off camber rocks and roots.

Edit: I feels it's about on par with Maxxis DHR2 in corners, though it obviously doesn't provide the same braking traction, but I'm very comfortable with relegating most of the braking duty to my front tire, which is much more aggressive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Losvar View Post
    Running the enduro casing, and it rolls on par with DD Aggressor and SG Hans Dampf, but I'm more comfortable with the cornering capabilities of the Martello compared to both of those, especially over off camber rocks and roots.

Edit: I feels it's about on par with Maxxis DHR2 in corners, though it obviously doesn't provide the same braking traction, but I'm very comfortable with relegating most of the braking duty to my front tire, which is much more aggressive.
    Thanks for the feedback!

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    3c exo maxterra..less than 20 rides...

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Front or rear?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edeltoaster View Post
    Front or rear?
    Sorry .rear

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    I had a few of the first batch Dissectors in 29x2.4 EXO Max Terra which weighed around 850g and they were just too flimsy and delicate. Had to run at least 29psi so it wouldn't squirm in the rear, traction went to shit and still had a tread puncture. This is on my Ripmo in the Bay Area which is pretty easy on tires generally. I'm 175lb riding weight.

The lightest Maxxis trail bike tire that works for me is a DHR2 exo which is substantially more robust than the Dissector EXO.

Currently on a Michelin Wild Enduro 29x2.4 Gum-X and it blows away both DHR2 and Dissector in grip with a minimal weight penalty at 1030~ish grams and rolls better than DHR2 Max Terra.

mtbr member
    Yeah I feel the same about the dhr2. I do like the rolling of the Dissector. Just wish it wore better...

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    I donít understand why Maxxis is always backwards with their casings and compounds! Give us your major offerings in Dual or MaxxTerra/Speed in Double Down and MaxxGrip in Exo+. Do that for all you tires. Almost everyone would be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Anyone running the 2.4 WT Dissector on 25mm internal width rims? Any issues?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I run mine on an older Flow rim. It works. No issue.

mtbr member
    Looking for "white labeled" OEM 29x2.4 Dissector is anyone is selling one..

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Anyone running a 2.6 on the front that can compare it to the 2.4 ?

EDR
    You won't have any issues. For many years I ran 2.4 and 2.5 maxxis tires on my Mavic819 wheels. 19 mm ID. never once even thought about it in all that time until wider rims became super popular.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHammheaddude View Post
    I have been running the Dissector 2.4 dual compound on the rear for several weeks now. I really like it, fast rolling and hooks up very well, loose and rocky, offcamber, etc..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	occam i9 issector.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	1356417
    Anyone else have issues with the DC? I've had 2 tears in the main tread and the bead is now leaking air. I've had a few 3C's and have had no such issues. I've even run Ardents for over 10 years with only a puncture or two.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Uly View Post
    I am just coming off this combo on 30mm id rim's. I rode it for 3 months. It was great until the reckons lost the top rubber. Then rear just slid all over the place on loose over hardpack and on climbs that were also loose over hardpack or rocky. Going down twisty, sandy or rocky stuff was also less than comfortable as the rear lost grip. It was a fast rolling combo on the straights though. Put a dissector on the rear instead, 2.4 DC exo. Just did a ride with it and it was much much better over the loose stuff and on climbs, but also a bit more draggy on the straights as expected but It still rolls pretty darn good all things considered. Only time will tell if the Dissector/Dissector combo is a keeper when the rear also wears down the top rubber.
    Following up on tire wear. I have about 600 hard miles on the 2.4 Dissector EXO 3C f/DC r combo. I would say that both tires are wearing just ok. Both front and rear side knobs are under cutting. I don't corner very aggressively. Otherwise grip is still good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Anyone else have issues with the DC? I've had 2 tears in the main tread and the bead is now leaking air. I've had a few 3C's and have had no such issues. I've even run Ardents for over 10 years with only a puncture or two.
    I have a 3c with a puncture in the middle in the void area...seems common

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Following up on tire wear. I have about 600 hard miles on the 2.4 Dissector EXO 3C f/DC r combo. I would say that both tires are wearing just ok. Both front and rear side knobs are under cutting. I don't corner very aggressively. Otherwise grip is still good.
    Any pics?

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Any pics?

Front
    Maxxis Dissector-20200905_120305.jpg
    rear
    Maxxis Dissector-20200905_120246.jpg

mtbr member

Maxxis Dissector

Front

Name:	20200905_120305.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	1361973
    rear

Name:	20200905_120246.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	1361977
    Thanks! Look like your corner harder going right, the side lugs are undercut more on that side. Either way, for 600 miles that looks pretty good. This is what my dhr2 looks like after 150 miles

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    3c exo maxterra..less than 20 rides...

How long are your rides? My MTB rides are usually 20-25 miles so that would put it near 500 miles, which is usually about my replacement interval for a DHR2 rear...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    29x2.4 DC rear on my 2018 Hightower. Iím a super Clyde at 270lbs . Just over 400 miles. About 50/50 rocky /flow trails. Sheís about done !

mtbr member
    June 11 was the first ride ...3c Maxterra exo.

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Anyone know of any 29x2.4 DC in stock currently?

mtbr member
    I just installed my new Dissector 29x2.4 on the front. It looks amazing, I cant wait to see how it rides on my local trails (DFW area) and how it preforms on Bentonville trails. I paired mine with a Rekon in the rear. I Got the Rekon earlier and have a couple rides on it so far. It is my favorite rear tire choice. It rolls well but doesn't feel like I have to give up much traction wise.
    Current Bike: 2020 Santa Cruz Hightower S

Previous bikes: 2019 Trek Fuel EX 7 and 2016 Diamondback Overdrive 27.5

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I just got back from a week of riding Bentonville and surrounding area
    worked great on the rear!

mtbr member

Maxxis Dissector

I am loving this tire in the back for the loose over hard we have here in so cal. It is definitely a little more slippery than a dhr2, but rolls way faster. Throwing a new one on after 2 months. Riding about 5 days a week would put this probably at around 500 miles. A dhr lasts a little longer around here but for my short travel bike I am sold on this rear tire. This with a dhf up front was very fast rolling, but with this tire change I am going to throw an assegai up front.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Rode Bentonville a couple weeks ago with a 2.5 DHF front and 2.4 Dissector rear. Had never ridden the Back 40 before and all that loose stuff kinda sketched me out. But gotta say that combo seemed to work pretty well. Made it about 3/4 up the President Bush Push and the Dissector actually had good grip up that steep gravelly climb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austink26 View Post
    I am loving this tire in the back for the loose over hard we have here in so cal. It is definitely a little more slippery than a dhr2, but rolls way faster. Throwing a new one on after 2 months. Riding about 5 days a week would put this probably at around 500 miles. A dhr lasts a little longer around here but for my short travel bike I am sold on this rear tire. This with a dhf up front was very fast rolling, but with this tire change I am going to throw an assegai up front.

Put some clothes on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austink26 View Post

I run an assegai up front with it and it's a great combo. I just ordered a DC version to replace my worn exo 3c. I got about the same mileage..

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ungod View Post
    Put some clothes on!
    Wait you donít wrench on your bike nude???? I also put fresh seals on my fork and didnít want to get my clothing oily.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Anyone have any updates on how the dissector is in wet conditions, specifically like norcal? I would like to run a dissector eventually and I am wondering if it is good enough in the wet to be able to use it for the occasional slightly wet conditions here. From what I read before, it sounds like the tire might be a bit slow rolling when things get wet/muddy or possibly slow on pavement in general, but if its not bad I might go for it.

I have a semi slick on my bike currently and there's no way I am riding anything more than a tiny bit wet with it, so it might be dissector time soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agreenbike View Post
    Anyone have any updates on how the dissector is in wet conditions, specifically like norcal? I would like to run a dissector eventually and I am wondering if it is good enough in the wet to be able to use it for the occasional slightly wet conditions here. From what I read before, it sounds like the tire might be a bit slow rolling when things get wet/muddy or possibly slow on pavement in general, but if its not bad I might go for it.

I have a semi slick on my bike currently and there's no way I am riding anything more than a tiny bit wet with it, so it might be dissector time soon.
    I just ran mine this past weekend at UC and JMP. Its very worn-out and did fine except on wet roots. DHR2 sticks to them better imho. I did lower psi a bit and seemed to help.

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by agreenbike View Post

You want to run it on the front or rear? I just put my dual compound Dissector back on the rear, will report back how it does in mud, should be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdreynolds7 View Post
    You want to run it on the front or rear? I just put my dual compound Dissector back on the rear, will report back how it does in mud, should be fine.
    I have had 2 DC on order for over a month....

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I just ran mine this past weekend at UC and JMP. Its very worn-out and did fine except on wet roots. DHR2 sticks to them better imho. I did lower psi a bit and seemed to help.

Good to know, especially if it was very wet out. It hasn't been wet enough yet to overpower my semislicks though but the dissector seems to have decent knobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdreynolds7 View Post
    I was thinking a 2.4 exo DC rear with probably either a 2.4 dhr2 (current tire) or 2.5 dhf upfront. And good, i'll want to hear how it does in the mud. I think my concern is more that it will pedal really slow in the wet or mud vs other maxxis options rather than it won't be able to handle mud.

I have had 2 DC on order for over a month....

That's part of the reason that I threw a semislick on the rear of my bike in the first place. I wanted to try a dissector rear but nobody ever had them in stock, and if they did, they were 3C only. So I just got a semislick that was in stock. I may just try a 3C rear if I can't find a DC, assuming any dissectors are in stock anywhere now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Anyone tried Nevegal2, Onza Porcupine and the Dissector? Looking for a sub 900g front tyre for trail rides but I'm not a fan of open channel in the front.
    Thinking mostly about rolling resistance and cornering grip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by javisst44 View Post
    Anyone tried Nevegal2, Onza Porcupine and the Dissector? Looking for a sub 900g front tyre for trail rides but I'm not a fan of open channel in the front.
    Specialized Eliminator
    2.6 (small like a 2.5/2.55) 930grams
    2.3 (big like a 2.4) 890grams
    Working great up front here in the desert southwest, rolls fast and grips well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by javisst44 View Post
    I have run the porcupine and dissector. I ran the porcupine as a front way longer that the dissector. For my trails the dissector didnít work as a front tire. The porc is pretty grippy and rolls decently. I would put it somewhere between the dissector and a minion. The carcass of the porcupine isnít that tough, so while it feels pretty smooth, it also can feel squirrelly if you are an aggressive rider.

mtbr member
    HIgh Roller II?

mtbr member
    I like the HR2 up front but the knobs are too ramped for the rear. But hr2 front and aggressor rear is a good combo in dry. Hr2 is good front in wet. The aggressor is not good at all in the wet.

But a DHR2 is better than the hr2 in every thing front and back. And i feel the dhr2 is better than the dhf front and back.

Aggasai front is good in everything and has more ultimate grip but i feel the dhr2 is a more fun tire. Dhr2 has a very predictable drift zone.

I have not tried the dissector yet...

Evolution Training Cycles

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Specialized Eliminator
    2.6 (small like a 2.5/2.55) 930grams
    2.3 (big like a 2.4) 890grams
    Working great up front here in the desert southwest, rolls fast and grips well.
    29 x 2.3 Grid Trail Eliminator is a great rear tire. The Grid Trail casing is more like EXO+ and the weight is very reasonable (around 950g, IIRC)
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    29 x 2.3 Grid Trail Eliminator is a great rear tire. The Grid Trail casing is more like EXO+ and the weight is very reasonable (around 950g, IIRC)
    Yep, 927g for my Eliminator. Itís a good rear tire but I actually like the Purgatory better. It rolls faster and doesnít give up much in traction.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234