Maxxis Dissector - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Hey here my opinion for the dissector.
    I ran during German autum and Winter - Rekon 2.6 EXO Max Terra on the rear & Assegai 2.4 EXO on the front.
    Spring has arrived in the prealps region so I wanted to something lighter and more fast rolling.
    I swichted to:
    Dissector 2.4 EXO Max Terra in the Front & my beloved Ikon 2,35 EXO Max Speed in the rear.

Went yesterday for a 50km ride with 1000m of elevation. The combo want quite what I expected. Very fast rolling and a good amount of grip and less draggy as the assegai.
    But the assegai was grippier from my opinion and felt smoother.
    Maybe I need to drop pressure in my dissector for the next ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I rode the 2.6/2.4 dissector combo on my HD4 yesterday. I found it to be very grippy and fast on the trail I rode, much better than the Vigilante/dissector combo. The trail has firm sections, pebbles over hardpack, rocks, loam, and pine needles over hardpack. The vigilante was more composed in some areas and less composed in other areas whereas the dissector was more consistent which gave more confidence to push harder. I think this is my favorite 'all around' combo for now. I was able to PR my climb and ascent without trying to push too hard (given the current climate).

I'd like to try the agarro at some point. I hear good things about it as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    For anyone interested, Merlin has 29x2.4 DC Dissectors for $53 shipped to the US. Just ordered one for myself

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bdreynolds7 View Post
    For anyone interested, Merlin has 29x2.4 DC Dissectors for $53 shipped to the US. Just ordered one for myself
    I JUST ordered the exact same tire from Merlin NOT less than 2 minutes ago, checked my emails and saw this very post. That's just nuts!

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Rider View Post
    I JUST ordered the exact same tire from Merlin NOT less than 2 minutes ago, checked my emails and saw this very post. That's just nuts!
    I ordered mine last night Can't wait to try it out

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I ordered mine last night Can't wait to try it out
    As a back tire? I've got the same in 3C Maxx Terra on the front as of a few days ago. Was looking all over for the Dual for the back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Rider View Post
    As a back tire? I've got the same in 3C Maxx Terra on the front as of a few days ago. Was looking all over for the Dual for the back.
    Yeah I'm going to try it out back. Dual compound lasts way longer out back

mtbr member
    May 2019
    i think i've ruled this out as a front tire, since im looking for close to DHF level grip with more predictability, probably will end up with an assegai.

But want to try it out as a rear, size wise anyone know how a 2.6 would compare to a 2.5 aggressor? I dont usually like running a bigger tire in the rear, but sounds like it might be about the same width as a 2.5 assegai? I can definitely give the 2.4 a try but its for my short rear travel trail bike and wouldnt mind a little extra cush for the back.

mtbr member
    Got some time on the dissector in the rear, meh. Definitely rolls well, well damped, nice volume. Not sure I've ever ridden a tire with such a discrepancy between breaking traction and climbing grip. The climbing grip is really really terrible. Definitely not as sure footed on off camber and transitional terrain as the aggressor. Carcass is quite flimsy when getting down with it compared to an exo aggressor at same psi which is already a bit flimsy. Maybe a wider rim ~35mm or so would work better but still climbing grip would remain shit. Maxxis should take those side lugs and add them to the 2.35 aggressor, that I'd like to try. On to an aggaro.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Got some time on the dissector in the rear, meh. Definitely rolls well, well damped, nice volume. Not sure I've ever ridden a tire with such a discrepancy between breaking traction and climbing grip. The climbing grip is really really terrible. Definitely not as sure footed on off camber and transitional terrain as the aggressor. Carcass is quite flimsy when getting down with it compared to an exo aggressor at same psi which is already a bit flimsy. Maybe a wider rim ~35mm or so would work better but still climbing grip would remain shit. Maxxis should take those side lugs and add them to the 2.35 aggressor, that I'd like to try. On to an aggaro.

Wet or dry climbing? Couldnít be worse than an Aggressor for wet climbs lol

mtbr member
    Iíve got one ride on a 29x2.4 3C EXO used as a front tire. It was going to be my light weight front tire (with an Assegai being the heavy weight.) I paired the Dissector with a Rekon 2.4 on the rear.

I did a mellow ride on some loose over hard, sandy SoCal surfaces. I was not impressed. Front end didnít feel planted in moderate corners. The transition gap is huge on the Dissector: bigger than DHF and DHR2. Profile was very round, even on a 35id rim, which came as a surprise. Tire width was about 2.35Ē. Weight was 881g.

The hunt continues for a decent grip, lightweight front tire to pair with the Rekon rear. Itís gonna be hard to come to terms with less grip than the Assegai. That level of grip is addicting.

mtbr member
    Good lookin' out, I've been on the prowl for one of these for awhile now!

Got rocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    Iíve got one ride on a 29x2.4 3C EXO used as a front tire. It was going to be my light weight front tire (with an Assegai being the heavy weight.) I paired the Dissector with a Rekon 2.4 on the rear.

I did a mellow ride on some loose over hard, sandy SoCal surfaces. I was not impressed. Front end didnít feel planted in moderate corners. The transition gap is huge on the Dissector: bigger than DHF and DHR2. Profile was very round, even on a 35id rim, which came as a surprise. Tire width was about 2.35Ē. Weight was 881g.

The hunt continues for a decent grip, lightweight front tire to pair with the Rekon rear. Itís gonna be hard to come to terms with less grip than the Assegai. That level of grip is addicting.
    Makes me glad I didnít get one. You tried a hellkat yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post

I have a NIB Hellkat Pro ATC I'll sell for $50 shipped FYI.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member

I havenít. Iíve been eyeing the Kenda stuff, but theyíre asking too much $ for an unknown (to me). Iím a Maxxis guy, but would be willing to try something new for <$50 a tire. I just picked up a Specialized Eliminator/Purgatory for a good deal. Other than being way overweight, theyíre working pretty good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I have a NIB Hellkat Pro ATC I'll sell for $50 shipped FYI.

And maybe hereís my excuse to try Kenda...haha.

Got rocks?

Maxxis Dissector

Those two tires are on my list of want to try. The hellkat rolls well. 2.4 probably better than the 2.6 Iíve ran.

mtbr member

Curious to hear your thoughts on the aggarro

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider77 View Post
    Curious to hear your thoughts on the aggarro

There is a guy that rides down by Austin that swears by the Aggarro in the central Texas terrain, he is very selective on tires. I have one on the way in 27.5 and 29. I have been waiting on my Tubolight inserts to show up to do some tire swapping.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TXrocks View Post
    There is a guy that rides down by Austin that swears by the Aggarro in the central Texas terrain, he is very selective on tires. I have one on the way in 27.5 and 29. I have been waiting on my Tubolight inserts to show up to do some tire swapping.
    He sounds like an idiot.

Yes it's true, I love my rear Agarros.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    He sounds like an idiot.

Haha, I gotta hit you up for some places to ride down there. Once work hours are somewhat back to normal I'm gonna head down there for a Spider Mountain day, and hit some of the other trails another day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    And maybe hereís my excuse to try Kenda...haha.
    PP me and it'll ship tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    well shoot after reading through more posts it sounds like the dissector MIGHT be a good front after all? opinions are pretty mixed.

Anyone have experience with a 2.6 on the front? my only concern is im on 27id rims and that might make them a little too round.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure why people are having trouble finding these. A simple google search turns up several sources.

MAXXIS DISSECTOR TIRE - 29 X 2.4 TUBELESS FOLDING BLK 3C MAXXTERRA EXO
    $68
    https://northwestbicycle.com/product...MaAswyEALw_wcB

Cambria, One left $68
    https://www.cambriabike.com/products...UaApPuEALw_wcB

Looks like Performance bike has them, too.
    https://www.performancebike.com/maxx...0735?v=1007708

For Canadians:
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6008-3...text=dissector

If you need a 29x2.6....and you know you do....
    https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...xo-tr-mtb-tire

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I'm not sure why people are having trouble finding these. A simple google search turns up several sources.

MAXXIS DISSECTOR TIRE - 29 X 2.4 TUBELESS FOLDING BLK 3C MAXXTERRA EXO
    $68
    https://northwestbicycle.com/product...MaAswyEALw_wcB

Cambria, One left $68
    https://www.cambriabike.com/products...UaApPuEALw_wcB

Looks like Performance bike has them, too.
    https://www.performancebike.com/maxx...0735?v=1007708

For Canadians:
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6008-3...text=dissector

If you need a 29x2.6....and you know you do....
    https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...xo-tr-mtb-tire
    None of those are dual compound

mtbr member
    Good point!
    I was just about to modify that, but you were way too fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    In the 3C vs DC discussion, the 3C uses a hard base layer, a medium top layer (center lugs), and a softer layer for the shoulder knobs. Assuming the DC uses the hard base layer and medium layers for the center and shoulders, the DC and 3C should roll the same, the only difference being softer shoulders being better for cornering but with faster wear. Am I missing something? The consensus seems to be that the DC tires roll better, but do they?

Edit: I've run both 3C and DC in several tires and can't really tell if there's a difference in rolling speed, just wondering if anybody can confirm or if Maxxis has said anything on the issue.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

Rocks belong
    I've got a new 29 x 2.6 EXO Dual Compound if you want it. Don't think my frame will clear it out back.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    I really like Vittoria tires but I've steered clear of the Agarro since it has such massive transition knobs. It looks like they'll get in the way of the side knobs really digging in on fast/loose high speed turns. I really wish they would halve the size of those knobs and then it looks like it'd be perfect.

Perpetual Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    In the 3C vs DC discussion, the 3C uses a hard base layer, a medium top layer (center lugs), and a softer layer for the shoulder knobs. Assuming the DC uses the hard base layer and medium layers for the center and shoulders, the DC and 3C should roll the same, the only difference being softer shoulders being better for cornering but with faster wear. Am I missing something? The consensus seems to be that the DC tires roll better, but do they?

Edit: I've run both 3C and DC in several tires and can't really tell if there's a difference in rolling speed, just wondering if anybody can confirm or if Maxxis has said anything on the issue.

Single Compound is the same all the way through.
    Dual Compound is a Soft shoulder knob paired with a firmer center.
    3C or Triple Compound is a Firm base rubber with a softer center rubber overlay, and an even softer shoulder rubber overlay.

Maxxis rubber compounds are as follows from hardest to softest...

Single Compound - 70a
    eXCeption Ė A 62a
    MaxxPro Ė A 60a
    Dual CompoundĖ 51a Side /60a Center
    3C Maxx Speed- 72a Base /60a Side /62a Center
    3C Maxx Terra- 70a Base /42a Side /50a Center
    3C Maxx Grip- 70a Base /40a Side /42a Center
    Super Tacky Ė 42a
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Single Compound is the same all the way through.
    Dual Compound is a Soft shoulder knob paired with a firmer center.
    3C or Triple Compound is a Firm base rubber with a softer center rubber overlay, and an even softer shoulder rubber overlay.

Maxxis rubber compounds are as follows from hardest to softest...

Single Compound - 70a
    eXCeption Ė A 62a
    MaxxPro Ė A 60a
    Dual CompoundĖ 51a Side /60a Center
    3C Maxx Speed- 72a Base /60a Side /62a Center
    3C Maxx Terra- 70a Base /42a Side /50a Center
    3C Maxx Grip- 70a Base /40a Side /42a Center
    Super Tacky Ė 42a
    Dang, good info! Thanks. And change your sig, you're not still a dirtbag.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Just bought the last DC in stock. Thanks for the heads up...and sorry fellas.

Man, the info and opinions are all over the place on this thread. Larger transition zone than a DHF? Terrible climbing grip? I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Goes to show how much of tire preference is local terrain, moisture, speed, texture....blah blah blah.

Ride on fellas! Running Dissectors front and rear on the HT2 now and loving it.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    I have been running 29x2.4 on the rear for the last few hundred miles and I don't have any complaints about climbing grip either. I was running a 2.5 DHF prior to this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Man, the info and opinions are all over the place on this thread. Larger transition zone than a DHF? Terrible climbing grip? I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Goes to show how much of tire preference is local terrain, moisture, speed, texture....blah blah blah.
    I'm with you, I switched directly from a DHF 2.5 to a Dissector 2.4 and in my experience the transition is a lot less sketchy on slower corners. I think tires are one of those things that are just very dependent on where you ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just bought the last DC in stock. Thanks for the heads up...and sorry fellas.

Ride on fellas! Running Dissectors front and rear on the HT2 now and loving it.
    If I've learned anything about tires, is that you pretty much have to try them yourself and be able to push your tires reasonably well and consistently to find out if they work for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    If I've learned anything about tires, is that you pretty much have to try them yourself and be able to push your tires reasonably well and consistently to find out if they work for you.
    When I was brand new to riding the DHF really bothered me with the transition so I stopped riding them, fast forward a year and I have had to ride my brothers bike while mine is getting serviced and I have loved the DHF on the front of his bike, never notice the transition. Now all I care about is cornering and braking, DHR2 front and rear is my go to, will run the dissector as well once its in a DD.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Hey Everyone, looking for some opinions. I am on a Ripley V4 and love climbing fast and throwing myself downhill barely breathing. The point is, I 'make my money' on the climbs and just good enough downhill to keep up. So rolling resistance is important to me, but so is staying safe on the way down. The V4 came with the Schlawbe NN/HD combo, but I kept popping the NN in the rear so tried out two Rekon's 2.6" front and rear. While that tire combo rolled incredibly fast, I found the Rekon a horrible front tire. With that said, the Rekon in the rear has been great. So now I am looking for my next set.

I am thinking about trying a 2.4" Rekon in the rear paired with either a 2.4" Dissector or a 2.5" Aggressor in the front. I have read conflicting reports on the dissector as a front tire, and I am curious what some of the experiences have been. I am in the South East, so trails can range from wet to dry, but just looking for a set that will perform well overall with decent corning and lower rolling resistance that the DHF.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    Hey Everyone, looking for some opinions. I am on a Ripley V4 and love climbing fast and throwing myself downhill barely breathing. The point is, I 'make my money' on the climbs and just good enough downhill to keep up. So rolling resistance is important to me, but so is staying safe on the way down. The V4 came with the Schlawbe NN/HD combo, but I kept popping the NN in the rear so tried out two Rekon's 2.6" front and rear. While that tire combo rolled incredibly fast, I found the Rekon a horrible front tire. With that said, the Rekon in the rear has been great. So now I am looking for my next set.

I am thinking about trying a 2.4" Rekon in the rear paired with either a 2.4" Dissector or a 2.5" Aggressor in the front. I have read conflicting reports on the dissector as a front tire, and I am curious what some of the experiences have been. I am in the South East, so trails can range from wet to dry, but just looking for a set that will perform well overall with decent corning and lower rolling resistance that the DHF.
    You could try a 2.4 Dissector, I would never run one on the front but at least it has good corner knobs and decent braking, the 2.4 DHR2 rolls plenty fast for me and has amazing grip. I would go Maxxterra, DC is too sketchy, thats why I wouldnt run an Aggressor up front, I dont even like it out back.

mtbr member
    ^Hellcat might be a good front for you Prof.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRCD47 View Post
    You could try a 2.4 Dissector, I would never run one on the front but at least it has good corner knobs and decent braking, the 2.4 DHR2 rolls plenty fast for me and has amazing grip. I would go Maxxterra, DC is too sketchy, thats why I wouldnt run an Aggressor up front, I dont even like it out back.

Why wouldnt you run a dissector out front? Im debating between this or just going with the standard dhf or assegai front, and try a dissector in the rear

aka bOb

You could always throw the Hans on the back and get either a Magic Marry or a Hellkat for the front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    The Dissector is a vastly better front tire than Nobby Nic or Rekon and rolls extremely well for what it is. I can only speak to dry hardpack/loose performance but I've found the Dissector to be perfect for the kind of riding you're talking about (no shuttling, turns are earned).

I've posted about this before, but my biggest issue with the Dissector 2.4 front Rekon 2.4 rear setup is how much more traction the Dissector has when leaned over than the Rekon (although it is super fun in a wild "step out the rear" sort of way).

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Personally I'd choose the NN 2.6 over the Dissector 2.6 as a front tire (I've had both) although neither is particularly good for my purposes. It's just the NN isn't so bouncy feeling.
    The Dissector, at least in the 29 x 2.6 variety that I tried is an average trail front tire, very average. It's not something that will bother most people though.
    The Martello rolls very nearly as well, with the traction of an Assagai, and with a nice damped feel. It also wears extraordinarily well. I usually hurt tires within a few rides but my front still looks and feels killer after a month or so of abuse.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Maxxis Dissector

Quote Originally Posted by mrsa101 View Post
    Why wouldnt you run a dissector out front? Im debating between this or just going with the standard dhf or assegai front, and try a dissector in the rear
    Im unwilling to compromise grip at the front and I love riding steep terrain.

Its all a balance and thats why I dont run an Assegai because I feel the minion has just as much grip but rolls much faster.

However I wouldnt ever run something up front that I had to worry about not saving my ass when I needed it. If you ride pretty mellow trails, more on the XC side I think a Dissector/Rekon is good, if your closer to the enduro side DHR2/Dissector is the fastest rolling combo I have used and it grips really well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Thanks for the replies everyone. For the time being, I have decided to leave Schwalbe behind as their tires were simply not durable enough for the rocky/rooty trials I ride in the SE. I went through two NN's in less than a month, so I need something with a bit more durability (I have never had an issue with Maxxis or Specialized tires around here).

Sounds like the dissector can provide enough grip on the trials that I ride and roll well enough that I am not fighting it climbing to the top (no shuttles for me). Can anyone comment on how it compares to the aggressor?

And I haven't done much research on the Hellcat, but I will have to check that one out! The Vittoria Agarro also sounds interesting...

mtbr member
    I agree with the above that the aggressor was a meh REAR tire for me. I would NOT be considering that for the front of your bike. To me, your two choices should be Dissector or DHR2, paired with either a Dissector or Rekon out back. Any combo of that and you should be pretty stoked. You just gotta decide how much speed vs traction you want. There are a ton of us who are fans of the Dissector up front, including myself.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Im unwilling to compromise grip at the front and I love riding steep terrain.

Its all a balance and thats why I dont run an Assegai because I feel the minion has just as much grip but rolls much faster.

However I wouldnt ever run something up front that I had to worry about not saving my ass when I needed it. If you ride pretty mellow trails, more on the XC side I think a Dissector/Rekon is good, if your closer to the enduro side DHR2/Dissector is the fastest rolling combo I have used and it grips really well.

What kind of conditions are you riding? Weird how conflicting different peoples reviews are for this as a front. Where i want my tires to perform the best is loose, kitty litter/gravel/marbles over hardpack, or just straight up loose and no hardpack underneath. i'm not riding that stuff all the time, but enough that when i am, or if a surprise loose corner comes up i want a tire that can handle it.

I want basically the same as you out of a front, i want to be able to throw the bike into a corner with (sometimes) too much speed and have some confidence i can gather it up, be able to push the front hard and trust it even if i ask a little too much. maybe some of the people saying these make a good front arent constantly getting too and over the fronts limit?

Just looking at the tread, the side knobs looks fairly substantial, a nice channel, widely spaced, and sounds theres not much if any dead zone feel, with my limited tire knowledge that sounds like a great front tire to me.. I already bought a 2.4 for the rear, and considering a 2.6 for the front, though since im on 27id rims dont want that to round the profile too much.

I just want it to work since I have a lot of pretty chunky gnarly trails, but with long flat sections and punchy uphills, where a super fast rolling tire combo that corners at least close to minions would be amazing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Maxxis Dissector

Quote Originally Posted by SA77 View Post
    What kind of conditions are you riding? Weird how conflicting different peoples reviews are for this as a front. Where i want my tires to perform the best is loose, kitty litter/gravel/marbles over hardpack, or just straight up loose and no hardpack underneath. i'm not riding that stuff all the time, but enough that when i am, or if a surprise loose corner comes up i want a tire that can handle it.

I want basically the same as you out of a front, i want to be able to throw the bike into a corner with (sometimes) too much speed and have some confidence i can gather it up, be able to push the front hard and trust it even if i ask a little too much. maybe some of the people saying these make a good front arent constantly getting too and over the fronts limit?

Just looking at the tread, the side knobs looks fairly substantial, a nice channel, widely spaced, and sounds theres not much if any dead zone feel, with my limited tire knowledge that sounds like a great front tire to me.. I already bought a 2.4 for the rear, and considering a 2.6 for the front, though since im on 27id rims dont want that to round the profile too much.

I just want it to work since I have a lot of pretty chunky gnarly trails, but with long flat sections and punchy uphills, where a super fast rolling tire combo that corners at least close to minions would be amazing.
    I ride in Norcal mostly and sometimes socal, the DHR2 will literally work in any condition, super loose, hardpack, loose over hard, and even was pretty good in mud. If you want a tire you can put on the front and forget about it that is the tire. I think its up to you to decide how worthy your trails are, if you ride stuff that is pretty steep the DHR2 has super good braking.

The DHF is also really good, but for some reason I just prefer the DHR2. For me the Dissector definetly is an amazing rear tire but it doesnt grip like a DHR2 so I wouldnt run it up front, DHR2 does everything I want.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I ride in Norcal mostly and sometimes socal, the DHR2 will literally work in any condition, super loose, hardpack, loose over hard, and even was pretty good in mud. If you want a tire you can put on the front and forget about it that is the tire. I think its up to you to decide how worthy your trails are, if you ride stuff that is pretty steep the DHR2 has super good braking.

The DHF is also really good, but for some reason I just prefer the DHR2. For me the Dissector definetly is an amazing rear tire but it doesnt grip like a DHR2 so I wouldnt run it up front, DHR2 does everything I want.

Yeah i rode the DHR2 for awhile but kept having sketchy as hell washouts in the front, Im guessing from those wide center knobs not allowing the side knobs to grab. almost exclusively in low grip situations where you cant really lean on the front. felt like as you go from upright to leaned you go from the center knobs to... nothing, and the front goes out from under you. where a dhf or similar will bite. wonder if the DHR2 in the front specifically needs a wider rim to square up the profile more so you can get to those side knobs in every situation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Extra Dissectors for sale - new

Hey y'all. Been so slammed w/ work the last few months, just getting my head above water and - most importantly - *back-to-bikes*!

Doing spring cleaning, and have a couple extra unused 29" Dissectors I'm not using: both a 2.4WT and a 2.6. Both are EXO MaxTerra. $50/each + buyer pays shipping. (I'll pay shipping if same user buys both.) PM me if interested.

Maxxis Dissector-dissectors.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by SA77 View Post
    Yeah i rode the DHR2 for awhile but kept having sketchy as hell washouts in the front, Im guessing from those wide center knobs not allowing the side knobs to grab. almost exclusively in low grip situations where you cant really lean on the front. felt like as you go from upright to leaned you go from the center knobs to... nothing, and the front goes out from under you. where a dhf or similar will bite. wonder if the DHR2 in the front specifically needs a wider rim to square up the profile more so you can get to those side knobs in every situation.
    I have had no issues with it yet, it gives you a lot of information before slipping out thats why I like it a lot, its very predictable. Half of the world cup paddock runs the DHR2 up front, so cant be too bad. I think the important thing with new geo bikes is leaning the bike more anyways so that may be part of it.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I have had no issues with it yet, it gives you a lot of information before slipping out thats why I like it a lot, its very predictable. Half of the world cup paddock runs the DHR2 up front, so cant be too bad. I think the important thing with new geo bikes is leaning the bike more anyways so that may be part of it.

could very well be that, going from a shorter wheelbase bike to a long wheelbase, I'm confident weighting the front when im comfortable, but if im doubting the front will grip on a certain sketchy section, by habit i shift my weight back. even if its just a flat corner with kitty litter, if i dont trust the grip level, i shift my weight back a little. guys who corner way harder than me on way sketchier, lower grip corners, can run them front without fking up..

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by laserjockrock View Post
    Hey y'all. Been so slammed w/ work the last few months, just getting my head above water and - most importantly - *back-to-bikes*!

Doing spring cleaning, and have a couple extra unused 29" Dissectors I'm not using: both a 2.4WT and a 2.6. Both are EXO MaxTerra. $50/each + buyer pays shipping. (I'll pay shipping if same user buys both.) PM me if interested.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dissectors.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	288.8 KB 
ID:	1330535
    PM sent
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member

Your second paragraph pretty much sums up my opinion as well man. The DHR2 is a set it and forget it front, but I do feel like a) the Dissector rolls much faster, so for 90% of the time I am at an advantage and b) the tire WAS lighter in the beginning.

In the beginning when weighing out options like the DHRII 2.4 vs the Dissector we were talking 955g vs 860g. The first dissector I got was 861g...its still on the front of my bike. The next three were over in that 910-920g range which is now represented on their page. Now all of a sudden I'm sitting here thinking I really did lose one of the two distinct advantages of the tire. It was nice for it to be lively and fast for sure and I felt it, especially coming off of a 2.5 DHF. I love the dissector, but visit some bike parks in the summer and I am seriously considering the DHRII again if I wear this out.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Your second paragraph pretty much sums up my opinion as well man. The DHR2 is a set it and forget it front, but I do feel like a) the Dissector rolls much faster, so for 90% of the time I am at an advantage and b) the tire WAS lighter in the beginning.

In the beginning when weighing out options like the DHRII 2.4 vs the Dissector we were talking 955g vs 860g. The first dissector I got was 861g...its still on the front of my bike. The next three were over in that 910-920g range which is now represented on their page. Now all of a sudden I'm sitting here thinking I really did lose one of the two distinct advantages of the tire. It was nice for it to be lively and fast for sure and I felt it, especially coming off of a 2.5 DHF. I love the dissector, but visit some bike parks in the summer and I am seriously considering the DHRII again if I wear this out.
    Honestly, 50 to 100 grams makes such a small difference on the front wheel I dont know if its worth it. Anytime I try and lighten up my bike im dissapointed. I think just run what you like and you get used to the weight quickly.

mtbr member
    Exactly. However I will tell you that when I dropped from the 1050g DHF to the 860g Dissector, it literally felt like the front end of my bike had chugged a red bull. So...yeah....somewhere in the middle isnt a terrible place to be.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    ^Hellcat might be a good front for you Prof.

Yup, sounds about perfect. Hellkat is great front aggressive trail tire...my guess is that Dissector will provide close to same amount of traction with slightly more rolling speed. Similar.weight and size, and plitting hairs on traction and rolling speed, so pick your need.

Supersonic Garfield
    I had two 29x2.4 Dissectors come in yesterday. As low as 834grams on the first and 878gr on the second.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG2 View Post
    Yup, sounds about perfect. Hellkat is great front aggressive trail tire...my guess is that Dissector will provide close to same amount of traction with slightly more rolling speed. Similar.weight and size, and plitting hairs on traction and rolling speed, so pick your need.
    I have both and the HellKat for our conditions at least is a much better front tire than the Dissector. That being said I think I am one of the few that really doesn't like the Dissector at all as a front tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Anyone using the Dissector in the Mid-Atlantic? Think my 2.5 DHF might be overkill even though we do have a lot of janky rocks in some of my trails. I am not so worried braking cause riding here involves rolling hills and maintaining momentum, but I want to be able maintain a decent amount of cornering grip as the moisture in the dirt goes up and down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Maxxis Dissector

Exactly. However I will tell you that when I dropped from the 1050g DHF to the 860g Dissector, it literally felt like the front end of my bike had chugged a red bull. So...yeah....somewhere in the middle isnt a terrible place to be.
    I just realized you are on the east coast, wonder if its a difference in terrain for you. I am almost always climbing in my lowest 2 gears and not really pedaling much going down, usually have to brake more than pedal, I think rolling weight is more noticable on the flatter trails, I will notice a change in the rear tire while climbing but not really the front.

I would say for Flatter trails forsure a lower weight and rolling will be nice, I just run my favorite setup and always ďhave something come upĒ if someone plans an XC ride, haha.

If rolling resistance is always a huge concern and we are looking at running Rekons out back and Dissectors up front it is good to look at the bike we are on. If its an Enduro bike I would think about getting on something less travel. I see a lot of people lugging enduro bikes around on flatter trails and I think that can be frustrating and silly, trail bikes are getting more and more capable. My bike is a 150F/130R and I wont run anything less than Minions, its a super capable bike though and I dont like riding anything flatter than -15% grade if I can.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterSoonerNow View Post
    Anyone using the Dissector in the Mid-Atlantic? Think my 2.5 DHF might be overkill even though we do have a lot of janky rocks in some of my trails. I am not so worried braking cause riding here involves rolling hills and maintaining momentum, but I want to be able maintain a decent amount of cornering grip as the moisture in the dirt goes up and down.
    Yes. I can comment that i replaced the 2.6 Rekon on the rear of my Ripley with a 2.4 MaxTerra Dissector and the grip on the trails in the wet, spring conditions of NJ and it is definitely better!
    Last edited by JonF1; 05-12-2020 at 06:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Thinking now about replacing my hans dampf 2.35 front with the 2.4 dissector. I'm finding that i don't love cornering grip of the HD. Any opinions from ppl who have tried both as a front. East coast XC semi tech trails 180lbs fairly aggressive rider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by darrylruddock View Post
    Thinking now about replacing my hans dampf 2.35 front with the 2.4 dissector. I'm finding that i don't love cornering grip of the HD. Any opinions from ppl who have tried both as a front. East coast XC semi tech trails 180lbs fairly aggressive rider.
    Everything I ride is hardpack, loose, or sometimes forest dirt/pine needles, never wet, so not exactly the same terrain, but I've ridden the HD as a front.

The HD isn't a bad tire, and in the back is actually a pretty darn good tire, but has the same problem a lot of Schwalbe tires have, big transition knobs interrupting what should be an open channel (IMO).

If you really like to lean your bike over I suspect you'll love the dissector, it absolutely rails corners considering how fast it rolls (not quite like a DHR/DHF, but closer than you'd think), if you tend to stay more upright in your turns I'd stick with the HD. Personally I find the dissector way better for the riding I do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbDork View Post
    Everything I ride is hardpack, loose, or sometimes forest dirt/pine needles, never wet, so not exactly the same terrain, but I've ridden the HD as a front.

The HD isn't a bad tire, and in the back is actually a pretty darn good tire, but has the same problem a lot of Schwalbe tires have, big transition knobs interrupting what should be an open channel (IMO).

If you really like to lean your bike over I suspect you'll love the dissector, it absolutely rails corners considering how fast it rolls (not quite like a DHR/DHF, but closer than you'd think), if you tend to stay more upright in your turns I'd stick with the HD. Personally I find the dissector way better for the riding I do.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll be moving the HD to the back once the NN wears out. my terrain sounds similar to yours so i think I may give it a try. Only small patches of mud where I ride so mostly dry but quite a bit of pedalling also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Thanks for posting these. I'm comfortable with 930g for the 2.4 Dissector, just waiting for a dual compound!

Also, looks like that Assegai is EXO+ and not EXO?
    I'm only halfnway though this thread, but yeah...my scrawny 2.3 Aggressor weights 891 grams, so most people would want to see the larger volume 2.4 Dissector come in heavier than that...for rear tire purposes anyways.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I have both and the HellKat for our conditions at least is a much better front tire than the Dissector. That being said I think I am one of the few that really doesn't like the Dissector at all as a front tire.
    Yeah, the Dissector doesn't look/appear secure enough for me as a front, but I'm probably gonna "have" to try the 2.4 and 2.6 in the rear.

This weekend I installed a new DHRII 2.4 Max Terra up front with the Minnar cut to open the channel a little closer to DHF...i have loved this tire up front over the past couple years. It replaced a Hellkat that was starting to show a little wear, but dang, I'm suddenly feeling less secure after a few saved washouts. I'm gonna keep in on till my new Hellkat arrives, so I'll be able to come up with a better analysis.

The Dissector 2.6 DC as rear tire also has my attention. On a whim, I had purchased a 2.6 Forekaster Maxx Speed...to be used for some XC riding. Wow...I mostly ride rough and rocky SoCal trails, and this tire allowed me drop PSI significantly and make for a much smoother and stable ride, it's hard to go back to smaller volume tires and get bounced around, and frankly it has very good cornering traction for a rear tire. And I never once flatted that 120 TPI cases. Now as things are getting so blown out, I'm thinking the 2.6 Dissector could fit the bill, and with weight similar to the 2.5 Aggressor, should pedal well enough.

mtbr member
    Sort of a re-post, but just thought I would add a couple of thoughts. I am rather OCD about tires, and find the Dissector to probably be the closest to the "goldilocks" tire I can find. This question of which tire is best always comes down to how / where you ride, and how sensitive you are.

I have a 2020 Hightower CC and have two Light Bicycle wheel sets - one with 33mm IW and the other with 29mm IW. The 33's are put onto the bike when I know I will be in steeper / gnarlier terrain or when I want as much traction as possible. The 29's get put on when I am in general trail riding conditions. On the 33's, I have Minion DHF 2.5 WT / Dissector WT 2.4 (both Exo). On the 29's, I have Dissector 2.4 WT / Rekon 2.4 WT (both exo). The 29mm IW setup with these tires are quite a bit lighter than the other setup so if I am going to be doing a lot of climbing I will probably opt for the lighter setup. Plenty of cornering traction (for me) on both the Dissector and Rekon. Also plenty of climbing traction as well. SoCal / San Diego trails ridden (dry, loose over hard). I really like the Dissector / Rekon setup. Faster rolling, plenty of traction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Yeah, the Dissector doesn't look/appear secure enough for me as a front, but I'm probably gonna "have" to try the 2.4 and 2.6 in the rear.

This weekend I installed a new DHRII 2.4 Max Terra up front with the Minnar cut to open the channel a little closer to DHF...i have loved this tire up front over the past couple years. It replaced a Hellkat that was starting to show a little wear, but dang, I'm suddenly feeling less secure after a few saved washouts. I'm gonna keep in on till my new Hellkat arrives, so I'll be able to come up with a better analysis.

The Dissector 2.6 DC as rear tire also has my attention. On a whim, I had purchased a 2.6 Forekaster Maxx Speed...to be used for some XC riding. Wow...I mostly ride rough and rocky SoCal trails, and this tire allowed me drop PSI significantly and make for a much smoother and stable ride, it's hard to go back to smaller volume tires and get bounced around, and frankly it has very good cornering traction for a rear tire. And I never once flatted that 120 TPI cases. Now as things are getting so blown out, I'm thinking the 2.6 Dissector could fit the bill, and with weight similar to the 2.5 Aggressor, should pedal well enough.
    I've tried Hellkat 2.4 ATC and AEC and loved both.. never try a DHR2 on front.. i was thinking that a DHR2 (maybe stock with no cuts), could be very good and maybe better than the hellkat... in theory a DHR2 could be better in hardpack, and the hellkat should do better in penetrating soft dirt.. On wich type of terrain do you liked the hellkat more than the dhr2?

Have you see the new Kenda Pinner? It seem a DHF with less transition zone and more predictable grip? A good front option for the summer/hardpack/bikeparks, and keep the hellkat for the loamy winter

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Just slapped on a 2.4/27.5 as a front tire on my 5010. It weighed in at 830g which was a 170g reduction from my 2.5 DHF. It does look puny in comparison, but I'm excited to lighten up since I felt the what lighter tires can do when I swapped out my Aggressor for a Rekon in the rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by zambo78 View Post
    I've tried Hellkat 2.4 ATC and AEC and loved both.. never try a DHR2 on front.. i was thinking that a DHR2 (maybe stock with no cuts), could be very good and maybe better than the hellkat... in theory a DHR2 could be better in hardpack, and the hellkat should do better in penetrating soft dirt.. On wich type of terrain do you liked the hellkat more than the dhr2?

Have you see the new Kenda Pinner? It seem a DHF with less transition zone and more predictable grip? A good front option for the summer/hardpack/bikeparks, and keep the hellkat for the loamy winter
    Right now I'm going to say I like the Hellkat better than DHRII as a front in all conditions...i just installed the new DHRII because of the reported better traction on loose over hard, but this past weekend's experience has me questioning that. More time is needed however.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    Sort of a re-post, but just thought I would add a couple of thoughts. I am rather OCD about tires, and find the Dissector to probably be the closest to the "goldilocks" tire I can find. This question of which tire is best always comes down to how / where you ride, and how sensitive you are.

I have a 2020 Hightower CC and have two Light Bicycle wheel sets - one with 33mm IW and the other with 29mm IW. The 33's are put onto the bike when I know I will be in steeper / gnarlier terrain or when I want as much traction as possible. The 29's get put on when I am in general trail riding conditions. On the 33's, I have Minion DHF 2.5 WT / Dissector WT 2.4 (both Exo). On the 29's, I have Dissector 2.4 WT / Rekon 2.4 WT (both exo). The 29mm IW setup with these tires are quite a bit lighter than the other setup so if I am going to be doing a lot of climbing I will probably opt for the lighter setup. Plenty of cornering traction (for me) on both the Dissector and Rekon. Also plenty of climbing traction as well. SoCal / San Diego trails ridden (dry, loose over hard). I really like the Dissector / Rekon setup. Faster rolling, plenty of traction.
    I have a Rekon 2.4WT, but I've only used it a couple times. The volume was slightly disappointing for me, but no free lunch...bigger tire would weigh more. Anyway...how does the volume of the Dissector 2.4 compare?

mtbr member
    May 2019

Good to hear im not the only one who gets sketchy washouts with a DHR front. I want it to work so bad, the weight, rolling resistance, cornering and braking make it such a good front, its just those sketchy sudden washouts that keep me from wanting to go back to it.

I wish i knew for sure what i was doing to make it wash out like it does, my best guess is that I tend to enter a corner pretty centered, and sometimes i'll shift my weight back earlier than I should, maybe this tire needs to be driven hard into the surface to make those knobs engage, if your light on it that center knob/side knob touching at the same time means a large surface area and it just floats over the top and washes out.

The washing out inconveniently makes it hard to stay committed over the front and drive the tire hard into the surface like you should..

mtbr member
    Just had to retire my 29x2.4 last night. Sidewall has a little cut and it is up high enough the sealant doesn't get to it very well. Really wish Maxxis made a DD in 29 but I may give the EXO+ a try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I have a Rekon 2.4WT, but I've only used it a couple times. The volume was slightly disappointing for me, but no free lunch...bigger tire would weigh more. Anyway...how does the volume of the Dissector 2.4 compare?

I have a 2.4 Rekon on the rear and just put on a 2.4 DS on the front. To me, the Rekon looks slightly wider. I have measuring calipers and will validate this.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterSoonerNow View Post
    I have a 2.4 Rekon on the rear and just put on a 2.4 DS on the front. To me, the Rekon looks slightly wider. I have measuring calipers and will validate this.
    I have been running 2.4 Rekon WT's on my SB100, on ID 30mm rims, and they measure narrow - only 2.31-32, on average. Less than 2.35 Ikons, on the same rims.

I like the Rekons, but they do run narrow.
    Ride more; post less...

mosstrooper
    May 2020
    Has anyone compared them the the Hans Dampf2? Particularly in the 2.6 size?
    Hey @ DW, a little late in replying but I thought I'd try to help on this one... I haven't run the 2.6 Dampf but I've run both the 2.4 and 2.6 Dissector (both 3C Exo, MaxTerra compound) and the 2.35 Dampf (Addix Snakeskin Soft/orange casing). I really like both the Dampf and the Dissector and they fit a nice slot between lighter trail tires (Ardent/Rekon, Nobby Nic) and heavyweight moto block enduro tires (Magic Mary, DHF/DHR/Assegai). I've been riding on wet East Coast roots and rocks this spring but also spent the winter in UT, so my experience may apply to your riding (I assume in the desert given your username). The Dissector is notably faster-rolling and seems to corner more aggressively, especially in looser/sandier soil. The Dampf in the Soft compound has amazing grip and has gotten me pushing slab lines and rooty stuff that I never have been able to before. You really can't go wrong, although I'd say they're both better front tires than rear (personal preference is something with a more aggressive transition zone b/w center and side knobs -- Aggressor 2.3 is my all-time favorite, although I ran the Rock Razor 2.35 in UT and thought it worked OK). I think the Aggressor 2.3 rear/Dissector 2.4 front is the winner in my book and I've been running that on both my short travel XC bike for technical rides and my bigger bike for everything (might have to run a 2.5 Assegai for bike parks this summer...if they open).

By the way, weight has been right around 790-820g for 2.35 Dampf; inflates true to size on a 27mm rim, 21psi. Dissector 2.4 is more like 870g and actually inflates a little big on a 30.5 rim -- 2.46"-ish. Cheers

Rider
    I really like Vittoria tires but I've steered clear of the Agarro since it has such massive transition knobs. It looks like they'll get in the way of the side knobs really digging in on fast/loose high speed turns. I really wish they would halve the size of those knobs and then it looks like it'd be perfect.
    You can cut them off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Well, i can tell you where the Dissector does *NOT* work well: thick beds of pine needles!

I have 2 wheelsets for my Ripley, 1 ltw, fast rolling carbon set with Forekaster front and Rekon rear and 1 rock bashing alum set with Assegai front and Dissector rear. On both sets, in the same trail system, i have had the rear wash out on thick needle beds while the front holds tight. Assegai and Forekaster both punch through but the Rekon knobs aren't long enough and i think the Dissector just packs up a bit since the knobs are just wider.

Here the Rekon failed me on a left hand g-out through some thick needles. Forekaster bit through but the rear washed out harder than an 80's glam rocker.
    Maxxis Dissector-img_20200407_171420.jpg

The other day the new 2.4 Dissector in the rear spun me harder than a Mustang at cars 'n coffee. Assegai kept gripping till the end.
    Maxxis Dissector-img_20200507_182134.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    So my eyes failed me. I thought the Rekon looked wider but on 27.5 30mm Light Bicycle carbon rims, the Rekon was 2.35Ē and the Dissector was 2.46Ē according to my calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got rocks?

Maxxis Dissector

Quote Originally Posted by gubbinalia View Post
    Hey @ DW, a little late in replying but I thought I'd try to help on this one... I haven't run the 2.6 Dampf but I've run both the 2.4 and 2.6 Dissector (both 3C Exo, MaxTerra compound) and the 2.35 Dampf (Addix Snakeskin Soft/orange casing). I really like both the Dampf and the Dissector and they fit a nice slot between lighter trail tires (Ardent/Rekon, Nobby Nic) and heavyweight moto block enduro tires (Magic Mary, DHF/DHR/Assegai). I've been riding on wet East Coast roots and rocks this spring but also spent the winter in UT, so my experience may apply to your riding (I assume in the desert given your username). The Dissector is notably faster-rolling and seems to corner more aggressively, especially in looser/sandier soil. The Dampf in the Soft compound has amazing grip and has gotten me pushing slab lines and rooty stuff that I never have been able to before. You really can't go wrong, although I'd say they're both better front tires than rear (personal preference is something with a more aggressive transition zone b/w center and side knobs -- Aggressor 2.3 is my all-time favorite, although I ran the Rock Razor 2.35 in UT and thought it worked OK). I think the Aggressor 2.3 rear/Dissector 2.4 front is the winner in my book and I've been running that on both my short travel XC bike for technical rides and my bigger bike for everything (might have to run a 2.5 Assegai for bike parks this summer...if they open).

By the way, weight has been right around 790-820g for 2.35 Dampf; inflates true to size on a 27mm rim, 21psi. Dissector 2.4 is more like 870g and actually inflates a little big on a 30.5 rim -- 2.46"-ish. Cheers
    I am a big fan of the HD on the rear In My terrain. Seems to roll well and grip great. On the front I like it but it lacks grip when itís a bit loose or soft on top. 90% of the time itís good to me. I have grown to appreciate tires with transition knobs for my trails, they just seem to grip better. This is the main reason I havenít tried a dissector the gap looks too big.

mtbr member
    Went to a LBS last night to have my rear wheel trued up and was planning on getting a DHR2 to replace the Dissector that had a sidewall cut. Pretty much every bike shop has DHR2s on the rack right? Well, this particular one didn't but they did have Dissectors. LOL

I almost decided to try a Rekon seeing as the EXO Dissector has already proven itself insufficient in the rocks and those were my two choices in a 2.4 but ultimately decided on round 2 with the Dissector.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    Went to a LBS last night to have my rear wheel trued up and was planning on getting a DHR2 to replace the Dissector that had a sidewall cut. Pretty much every bike shop has DHR2s on the rack right? Well, this particular one didn't but they did have Dissectors. LOL

I almost decided to try a Rekon seeing as the EXO Dissector has already proven itself insufficient in the rocks and those were my two choices in a 2.4 but ultimately decided on round 2 with the Dissector.
    Hoping I donít have issues with an Exo Dissector and Cush Core XC in the rocks Will report back

mtbr member
    I have been using the Exo Dissector 29x2.4 with a Cushcore XC on the rear of my Ripmo in the rocks of Tahoe with no problems. I am 175 lbs and run 22 psi in the rear. I tend to play well with tires and rims so I may not be the most useful calibration point, but so far, so good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    I have been using the Exo Dissector 29x2.4 with a Cushcore XC on the rear of my Ripmo in the rocks of Tahoe with no problems. I am 175 lbs and run 22 psi in the rear. I tend to play well with tires and rims so I may not be the most useful calibration point, but so far, so good.
    Thatís great to hear! I have a Ripmo AF, weigh the same and also ride norcal trails lol. Iím in Folsom

mtbr member
    Nice. I live, and do most of my riding, in South Lake Tahoe.

mtbr member
    I am 175-180 depending on my pack choice and I run 23 PSI with Cushcore Pro on my Sentinel. I have had multiple issues with EXO casing tires though. Not just the dissector. I really should be running DD tires as Cushcore doesn't help with cut sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Got the tire installed today with CCXC, 2.4" wide on the dot for width. Put a little more air pressure than normal so the tire stretches. Will be trying it out this weekend

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    I am 175-180 depending on my pack choice and I run 23 PSI with Cushcore Pro on my Sentinel. I have had multiple issues with EXO casing tires though. Not just the dissector. I really should be running DD tires as Cushcore doesn't help with cut sidewalls.
    What type of terrain are you riding on? I was bending rims on my last bike running Cushcore pro and snakeskin Schwalbe tires (Exo equivalent I'd guess). Never cut a sidewall. But I am riding smooth round Norcal rocks

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Also looks like the Dual Compound is in stock at Merlin again.

https://www.merlincycles.com/maxxis-...29-189526.html

mtbr member
    What type of terrain are you riding on? I was bending rims on my last bike running Cushcore pro and snakeskin Schwalbe tires (Exo equivalent I'd guess). Never cut a sidewall. But I am riding smooth round Norcal rocks
    I am in AZ. Lots of sharp rocks. The first two EXO casings I ruined were pinch flats. Cushcore seems to have taken care of that. Sidewall cuts are still an issue for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Went on my maiden voyage with the DS in the front. Pretty grippy for my Eastern PA trails. It feels so light compared to my 2.5" DHF that I think it'll stay on for the foreseeable future. Wondering how it might fair in wet condition, but trails are off-limits here when there's any significant mud.

I'm with stupid
    First ride impression of this tire on the rear in max terra 3c in 29x2.4 flavor. At first ride, it feels like a high roller. Also not sure what you gain with this tire over a DHR2 3c. maxx terra. I have been riding the DHR2 in 2.4 lately and I am almost convinced that the DHR2 rolls, grips, breaks better. More rides will test it more, but as soft as the side knobs are with not much support I feel it wont take long before I will need to replace it anyway.

Short version: Meh, DHR2 so good might not need this tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    2.6 29Ē 3c MT on the rear. One ride on my local northeast tech and mixed dirt. Coming from high roller 2.5 3C MT. Grip seems very similar, faster rolling (set 2 prs on trails Iíve ridden many times), and didnít notice anything different on braking. Need rides on some of my steeper pitches but overall seems like a solid tire. Matched with assegai 2.5 front. Tire to tire there is little or no difference between width of assegai 2.5 and ds 2.6

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Just ordered a Dual Exo Dissector in 27.5 for our dry german summer to come. It replaces a DHR2 WT 2.4 Dual, hope to gain something pedalling and snappiness. If I'm not happy, I will try the DHR2 2.3 next.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    First ride impression of this tire on the rear in max terra 3c in 29x2.4 flavor. At first ride, it feels like a high roller. Also not sure what you gain with this tire over a DHR2 3c. maxx terra. I have been riding the DHR2 in 2.4 lately and I am almost convinced that the DHR2 rolls, grips, breaks better. More rides will test it more, but as soft as the side knobs are with not much support I feel it wont take long before I will need to replace it anyway.

Short version: Meh, DHR2 so good might not need this tire.
    Very interesting feedback! I still have my 2.4 DHR2 3C front/ rear combo on my bike since I never found any dissectors in stock and I do agree that the DHR2 is a great tire, at least in the rear. The only reason to really replace the DHR2 (other than it's very worn) is because it isn't the quickest rolling tire, but if the DHR2 rolls better than a Dissector, then there isn't much reason for me to switch tires really.

I'm still possibly looking for a different front tire but that is something for a different future thread. 2.6 butcher grid trial, 2.6 dissector, 2.5 assegai exo, 2.5 dhf exo, or just throw another dhr2 up front again? That is an interesting question but the 2.4 dhr2 really works fine upfront and rear at low pressures.

mtbr member
    There is no way in the world a DHR2 rolls better than the Dissector. Just, nope. Up front, who cares, but out back its a pretty noticeable difference to me. I am pretty sure the vast majority of folks on this thread would agree. Cornering, braking etc....definitely give or take for sure.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    There is no way in the world a DHR2 rolls better than the Dissector. Just, nope. Up front, who cares, but out back its a pretty noticeable difference to me. I am pretty sure the vast majority of folks on this thread would agree. Cornering, braking etc....definitely give or take for sure.
    Yes huge rolling difference between the Dissector and DHR. I do run both tires also, when I'm somewhere I can get away with the less aggressive faster tire I will. Maybe I'll like it a bit better when I can run with an insert and drop a bit of tire pressure. . I don't think I'll buy another one as the climbing with it has been not that great. The Vittoria Aggaro has it beat in my terrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TXrocks View Post
    Yes huge rolling difference between the Dissector and DHR. I do run both tires also, when I'm somewhere I can get away with the less aggressive faster tire I will. Maybe I'll like it a bit better when I can run with an insert and drop a bit of tire pressure. . I don't think I'll buy another one as the climbing with it has been not that great. The Vittoria Aggaro has it beat in my terrain.
    How does the Aggaro compare to the Dissector? I keep seeing that Aggaro popping up as a killer tire. Does it do well in the wet (like PNW) a bit or is it mainly a dry rocky tire?

I'm with stupid
    So what did I do wrong then? How am I 2 MPH slower on 4 different roll down test then the DHR and slower climbing. My heart rate and rating on whoop rated my strain level 2 points higher on both of my rides with dissector compared to DHR2 but strava says I am minutes off pace on a 40 min solid climb? If it is truly lighter and faster rolling then should I not be having less strain to go the same speed or more strain to go faster? The highroller 2 if you ask maxxis is faster too... but anyone riding one knows better.

I'm with stupid
    I will admit I am still messing with pressures, so there could be something there. But, I am a numbers guy that runs a few different loggers ( 3 to be exact) to know watts, time, effort. On rides and this is failing. Placebo is cool and all, but......... hopefully I am wrong but working harder to be slower and the only changed was a tire is not my cup of tea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Maxxis Dissector

So what did I do wrong then? How am I 2 MPH slower on 4 different roll down test then the DHR and slower climbing. My heart rate and rating on whoop rated my strain level 2 points higher on both of my rides with dissector compared to DHR2 but strava says I am minutes off pace on a 40 min solid climb? If it is truly lighter and faster rolling then should I not be having less strain to go the same speed or more strain to go faster? The highroller 2 if you ask maxxis is faster too... but anyone riding one knows better.
    Interesting comment as I had first short ride on 2.4Ē Dissector yesterday and it really felt slow on slightly wet natural forest trails, on rocky and gravel surfaces it felt grippy and fast.
    Needs more testing before I am saying anything else.

mtbr member
    Definitely interesting observations fellas. I wish I had all the answers for ya. I can tell you a few weeks ago, while my rear wheel was at I9 for work, I rode a spare wheel with a DC 2.4 DHR2 on the back of my bike. My current Dissector is a 3c back there. The traction was lovely, but I could definitely notice the drag on the trail. It was one of our regular routes.

Could it be carcass? Could it be PSI comfort levels? Sure thing. They all play in the game for sure. I weigh probably 185 kitted up and I am running 23-24psi. I was running a tad lower but I burped the rear a few weeks ago.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    When there is any moisture in the ground, I notice my bike rolls slower. Even when the ground appears dry.
    Maybe it's that. Maybe it's terrain specific?
    I ran a Dissector 2.6 up front for 1 ride at 20psi initially then down to 18psi and it does indeed roll very well.
    It's been a year or so but I found the DHR2 to roll average to maybe slightly slow, both front and rear.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'm with stupid
    Definitely interesting observations fellas. I wish I had all the answers for ya. I can tell you a few weeks ago, while my rear wheel was at I9 for work, I rode a spare wheel with a DC 2.4 DHR2 on the back of my bike. My current Dissector is a 3c back there. The traction was lovely, but I could definitely notice the drag on the trail. It was one of our regular routes.

Could it be carcass? Could it be PSI comfort levels? Sure thing. They all play in the game for sure. I weigh probably 185 kitted up and I am running 23-24psi. I was running a tad lower but I burped the rear a few weeks ago.
    Could be it. I am right at 205lbs kitted and running 26psi. Maybe I will try more and see if it helps, I could feel the side knobs wiggling around on and rutted or slightly angled rock or root on the climbs. Maybe I am too low for my weight and causing too much tread engagement. Who knows. Hopefully more info this week/ weekend unless I take the big bike to Anglefire and then all bets of me pedaling this weekend are off.

mtbr member
    I could feel the side knobs wiggling around on and rutted or slightly angled rock or root on the climbs. .
    This jumps out at me as well. There is quite a bit of open space on the tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Could be it. I am right at 205lbs kitted and running 26psi. Maybe I will try more and see if it helps, I could feel the side knobs wiggling around on and rutted or slightly angled rock or root on the climbs. Maybe I am too low for my weight and causing too much tread engagement. Who knows. Hopefully more info this week/ weekend unless I take the big bike to Anglefire and then all bets of me pedaling this weekend are off.
    Iím heavier than that and tried pressures from 20 to 28psi and it still doesnít feel right.

Dissector is coming off, it is not right tire for me and my riding as performance on softer natural trails and wet roots is not good enough. To be fair, no one claimed it would be good in these conditions - on downhills and hardpack it actually felt pretty good.

I'm with stupid
    Swapped back wheels to a 2.5 Aggressor DD so added almost 250 grams of tire, So much faster and easier to keep speed up on it was not even funny. More testing will be needed but I will likely bin the dissector if this trend continues.

mtbr member
    I'm riding some park this weekend so last night while I had the chance I put my DHF 2.5 back up front. There is nearly 180g difference between the two tires (actual). I had the time to put in 7 miles this morning of pedaling on my most local trail, one I have ridden thousands of times it feels like.

Initial impressions.....I like the Dissector better. I noticed the weight and rolling resistance of the bigger DHF immediately, something that wont be as big of a deal pointed down hill. Our trails are tight, and twisty, and I think the back and forth and constant needed acceleration leads me to be attracted to the dissector.

The DHF feels stouter and slightly more confident in extreme cornering so I am sure it will do its job properly this weekend. I'll report back. I only put one day in the bike park last year with the dissector, and almost wish I had left it on. I do have one on the BACK this time to match with the DHF, so I will be able to report back my thoughts on the combo.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    29*2.4 3C exo+ is available now. Weighs 934g on my scale.

Maxxis Dissector-20200523_164832.jpg

mtbr member
    Received my 2.4 DC from Merlin last night. 945g on the scale. Bummed a bit honestly considering the advertised weight is 912g. I have a DHR 2.4 that I believe is 960 or so. I was really hoping this tire remained separated a bit in weight from the DHR2.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Received my 2.4 DC from Merlin last night. 945g on the scale. Bummed a bit honestly considering the advertised weight is 912g. I have a DHR 2.4 that I believe is 960 or so. I was really hoping this tire remained separated a bit in weight from the DHR2.
    Yup mine was also around that weight. Oh well.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    You have some side cutters, right?
    Just clip the tops off of maybe 8 knobs.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateMob View Post
    29*2.4 3C exo+ is available now. Weighs 934g on my scale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200523_164832.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	289.0 KB 
ID:	1335915
    Finally!!!!

mtbr member

Maxxis Dissector

where did you get one? Iím destroying my 3c in the rear and missed buying from eur when shipping was free :-(

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    where did you get one? Iím destroying my 3c in the rear and missed buying from eur when shipping was free :-(
    He and I ordered our Dual Compound from Merlin Cycles. Shipping wasn't that bad, considering the tire was $43 USD. Made buying it from them a no brainer.

mtbr member
    how long ago did you order it from Merlin? I ordered on 5/9 and itís been stuck in customs in the states since the 5/10.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaguy View Post
    how long ago did you order it from Merlin? I ordered on 5/9 and itís been stuck in customs in the states since the 5/10.
    I also ordered one from Merlin. Took a little over two weeks to receive mine in Pennsylvania.

mtbr member
    I don't even remember how long, it was that long. I got their request for a review about three days before it ever arrived at my house. That long. LOL
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Initial impressions from a long 30 mile, 6k climb ride and then a better test on my local run that is 10 miles and 1.6k climbing.

First the background: I am on a Ripley V4, weigh about 185 kitted, and 'make my money' going uphill. I am located in the southeast, and most of what I ride is XC to trail style. Very little true downhill rides. Trails range from gravel, to smooth dirt, to rooty, to rocky and everything in between. The V4 came with the Schlawbe HD/NN combo and I kept popping the NN, so I tried a combo of 2.6" Rekons (MaxxTerra, EXO+) and while the rolling resistance was great, the Rekon up front was kind of terrifying. So I put the 2.6" HD back up front for a bit while I searched for another front tire. Hence the Dissector.

So I decided to try a 2.4" Dissector (MaxxTerra, EXO) up front and put a 2.4" Rekon (MassTerra, EXO) on the rear. I really enjoyed the 2.6" Rekon on the rear, so figured I would give the narrower version a try. I know the dissector is labeled as a rear tire, but I wanted something that had decent rolling resistance and good enough grip up front to keep me from flying off of the trail. Keep in mind, climbing is just as important to me as going down is.

My local trail starts off with a 5 mile gravel/dirt road climb and then 5 miles of single track ridge riding with some steep downs and ups. Initial impressions are the dissector has more rolling resistance than the rekon (duh!) but significantly more grip (also duh!). I could 'feel' the extra resistance on the gravel climb, but didn't feel like it slowed me down much on the single track sections. To me, it felt like it gripped really well when I would weigh the front of the bike, especially in softer terrain. I did find that it could slip on wet roots, especially compared to the Rekon. It also felt a little more 'bouncy' on loose rocks compared to the rekon, but I am not exactly sure if that was true or not. I read one review that said the dissector has too much grip for a rekon in the rear, and I understand what they meant. The front end had a lot more grip (turning and braking) than the back, but I actually didn't mind it. I found I could mash the front end down and intentionally 'kick out' the rear to get the bike to swivel around a sharp turn at speed. I did have to rely a little more heavily on the front brake during steep downhills due to the differences in grip.

How did the times match up on my local run? Well, I set two PRs on the downs, two top 10s on up and down sections, and even a PR on a portion of the climb. I set out to give the tire a 'chance' and either I went really hard (it didn't seem like it) or this combo is really going to work for me and my riding style. I am taking the bike to Pisgah this weekend, so hopefully I can report back after that ride also.

But I think for someone looking for a relatively fast rolling combo with decent front end grip, this is a combo to check out!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Initial impressions from a long 30 mile, 6k climb ride and then a better test on my local run that is 10 miles and 1.6k climbing.

First the background: I am on a Ripley V4, weigh about 185 kitted, and 'make my money' going uphill. I am located in the southeast, and most of what I ride is XC to trail style. Very little true downhill rides. Trails range from gravel, to smooth dirt, to rooty, to rocky and everything in between. The V4 came with the Schlawbe HD/NN combo and I kept popping the NN, so I tried a combo of 2.6" Rekons (MaxxTerra, EXO+) and while the rolling resistance was great, the Rekon up front was kind of terrifying. So I put the 2.6" HD back up front for a bit while I searched for another front tire. Hence the Dissector.

So I decided to try a 2.4" Dissector (MaxxTerra, EXO) up front and put a 2.4" Rekon (MassTerra, EXO) on the rear. I really enjoyed the 2.6" Rekon on the rear, so figured I would give the narrower version a try. I know the dissector is labeled as a rear tire, but I wanted something that had decent rolling resistance and good enough grip up front to keep me from flying off of the trail. Keep in mind, climbing is just as important to me as going down is.

My local trail starts off with a 5 mile gravel/dirt road climb and then 5 miles of single track ridge riding with some steep downs and ups. Initial impressions are the dissector has more rolling resistance than the rekon (duh!) but significantly more grip (also duh!). I could 'feel' the extra resistance on the gravel climb, but didn't feel like it slowed me down much on the single track sections. To me, it felt like it gripped really well when I would weigh the front of the bike, especially in softer terrain. I did find that it could slip on wet roots, especially compared to the Rekon. It also felt a little more 'bouncy' on loose rocks compared to the rekon, but I am not exactly sure if that was true or not. I read one review that said the dissector has too much grip for a rekon in the rear, and I understand what they meant. The front end had a lot more grip (turning and braking) than the back, but I actually didn't mind it. I found I could mash the front end down and intentionally 'kick out' the rear to get the bike to swivel around a sharp turn at speed. I did have to rely a little more heavily on the front brake during steep downhills due to the differences in grip.

How did the times match up on my local run? Well, I set two PRs on the downs, two top 10s on up and down sections, and even a PR on a portion of the climb. I set out to give the tire a 'chance' and either I went really hard (it didn't seem like it) or this combo is really going to work for me and my riding style. I am taking the bike to Pisgah this weekend, so hopefully I can report back after that ride also.

But I think for someone looking for a relatively fast rolling combo with decent front end grip, this is a combo to check out!
    Thanks for the detailed write up! I'm also on a V4 Ripley and was considering a new front instead of the HD (although mine is 2.35) I'm ok with the NN in the back and the HD will go back there once the NN is done. I was considering the dissector or a kenda hellkat but can't decide and not in a big rush as the HD seems okay for now but leaves me wanting more grip in front.

mtbr member
    I don't even remember how long, it was that long. I got their request for a review about three days before it ever arrived at my house. That long. LOL
    Well I guess my order is setting a record for most delayed. I received the review email a week a go. Go figure...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

That combo is what I run on my Ripley 4 when I want a bit more grip than my Ardent Race 2.35/Rekon 2.4 combo. It really does seem to slot in right between the XC wheel/tire set-up and the overkill-for-a-Ripley-IMO DHF/DHR/Aggressor combo's I've seen a lot of. I like the Minions on bigger bikes and steeper stuff, but they just suck the fun out of a ride on a Ripley.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    I think the Dissector is a winner as a rear coming off an Aggressor. Rolls about the same, but more grip and bite on the side lugs. Not squirmy like the Aggressor was. Stoked!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BushPilot View Post
    I think the Dissector is a winner as a rear coming off an Aggressor. Rolls about the same, but more grip and bite on the side lugs. Not squirmy like the Aggressor was. Stoked!
    You on the dual compound?
    Now that things are firming up I'm finding the soft sidelugs more squirmy than an aggressor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BushPilot View Post
    What are you running on the front?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by markom View Post
    ...on downhills and hardpack it actually felt pretty good.
    OK, week later the conditions are unusually dry and warm, my front tire (2.4" DHR2) developed a wobble and I didn't want to buy anything new... so 2.4" Dissector EXO went to front tire and it is actually working nicely in current conditions.

2.4" feels bit hard though as I've been running 2.6" tires for last couple of years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Iíve now ridden the dissector in all but the wet. Steep granite rollers, fast chunder, rooty rocky climbs, dry dusty corners. Has worked well in all conditions so far. 2.6 rear on 35id ibis rims.

mtbr member
    You on the dual compound?
    Now that things are firming up I'm finding the soft sidelugs more squirmy than an aggressor.

I just got done with my first decent ride on the DC on the rear. I thought I was a bit insane to pull a 3C (about 350 miles on it) just to try it out but I am glad that I did. To your point, I experienced a slightly faster tire, and the cornering knobs were not nearly as squirmy. I expected to possibly give up a bit of traction, but I almost feel like the support lended itself to more traction in general. DC on the rear for sure, if ya can find one.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I just got done with my first decent ride on the DC on the rear. I thought I was a bit insane to pull a 3C (about 350 miles on it) just to try it out but I am glad that I did. To your point, I experienced a slightly faster tire, and the cornering knobs were not nearly as squirmy. I expected to possibly give up a bit of traction, but I almost feel like the support lended itself to more traction in general. DC on the rear for sure, if ya can find one.
    This is disappointing to hear. The tire should be designed well enough to support its intended riding in any compound. I dont wanna give up traction for support. I'm hoping the EXO+ casing firms things up a bit.

What rear pressures are you running these at? Hopefully the same to keep things consistent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by markom View Post
    OK, week later the conditions are unusually dry and warm, my front tire (2.4" DHR2) developed a wobble and I didn't want to buy anything new... so 2.4" Dissector EXO went to front tire and it is actually working nicely in current conditions.

2.4" feels bit hard though as I've been running 2.6" tires for last couple of years.
    I've got a massive gouge out of my elbow from a 2.6 Dissector on the front when the side knobs folded over on a flat hardpack turn.Have been running a 2.6 DHR II EXO+ and have hit that same turn a number of times in the last few weeks and it was solid.

Except for a lack of climbing traction I am happy with the 2.4 on the rear but am also running a Cush Core XC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joecx View Post
    I've got a massive gouge out of my elbow from a 2.6 Dissector on the front when the side knobs folded over on a flat hardpack turn.Have been running a 2.6 DHR II EXO+ and have hit that same turn a number of times in the last few weeks and it was solid.

Except for a lack of climbing traction I am happy with the 2.4 on the rear but am also running a Cush Core XC.
    Thanks for warning, I have to take care when I get to faster trails - on my local (flat) natural trails there hasn't been any chance to get near the limits of grip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateMob View Post
    This is disappointing to hear. The tire should be designed well enough to support its intended riding in any compound. I dont wanna give up traction for support. I'm hoping the EXO+ casing firms things up a bit.

What rear pressures are you running these at? Hopefully the same to keep things consistent.
    Yeah man, same pressures, 23-24ish. Don't be fooled though, I really felt the support lead to better traction when cornering and I noticed zero traction loss up straight. I was really stoked with the tire overall.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    [QUOTE=Chuch;14784467]I just got done with my first decent ride on the DC on the rear. I thought I was a bit insane to pull a 3C (about 350 miles on it) just to try it out but I am glad that I did. To your point, I experienced a slightly faster tire, and the cornering knobs were not nearly as squirmy. I expected to possibly give up a bit of traction, but I almost feel like the support lended itself to more traction in general. DC on the rear for sure, if ya can find one.[

what kind of conditions are you riding in?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I get about 400 miles on a rear tire 3c maxterra.

mtbr member
    Conditions were Eastern VA mixed bag of tricks on a punchy trail. Pine/leaf cover, roots, some greasy mud, little bit of sand texture thrown in here and there. No rocks on this particular ride.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    FWIW, I have been on Dissector, DHRII, Assegai, Hellkats over past year on my heavy duty trail/AM bike. For me in the PacNW it is Assegai 3C front all year round. When things get a little wet and loamy (Nov-April) my go to set up foí shred it Assegai/Hellkat 2.4. For amount of grip offered, Hellkat rolls pretty well. I have found it to bite, corner and roll better than DHR especially with any little greasy spots. My DHRII would squirm out too easy at times in comparison. Would still be running Ass/HK combo if HK didnít tear so easy. Went thru two of them this winter/spring, along with two DHRís as well. I should be on a DH casing, but since I pedal so much and DH uses really soft compound, would not be great and wear too fast on gravel Rd climbs.

After last HK failure (ATC, need AEC at least), I put on old Dissector 3C from last summer that I took early since was wearing too fast out back and losing braking traction. I really wasnít super stoked on tire in drier, loose trail conditions and ultimately felt the tire was hyped up a bit and just felt like a softer, much faster wearing Ardent with much better side knob traction. Fast forward to this late spring/early summer and mounted on a halfway worn Dissector out back last week, since couldnít get my former Aggressor to hold air at all over night. Worn Dissector mounted tubeless easy with zero loss of pressure over two days, so the high mountain drier trails I hit. To my surprise, rolling speed was immediately noticed compared to Hellkat and DHR DC rear that trail grinding felt fairly zippy and kind of fun (PRíed all trail climbs that day by at least 1 minute from just the weekend before). On descent, somewhat dry loose over hard with pine needles, the tire just ripped by holding corners great, offered enough breaking control and picked up speed whenever laying down the metal. I ended KOMíing the main DH that day. On way back, rain and little snow happened and was a little skeptical how tire would do in any wet. Surprised again, totally ripped the last 5.5 mile DH with great control and rolling speed. Crushed that as well. So for me, Dissector 2.4 going to be my go to rear tire this summer as I just bought a DC EXO version tonight. Plan to use with thick foam liner since I tore my older 3C Dissector that day as well and was tubed for rest of ride
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Interesting report and comparison with DHR. So you'll run the Exo with a liner but do you think it'd be fine without the liner if it was Exo+?

I was at the shop and some new Scotts had a 2.6 Dissector Exo front with a 2.6 Rekon Exo on the rear with 30mm rims. They looked like a great high volume fast trail setup. I'd like to try something like this but maybe slightly beefier for my Ripmo AF. Wondering if anyone has tried a similar setup with a 2.6 Dissector Exo front with a 2.5 Aggressor Exo or 2.6 Dissector Exo or Exo+ rear?
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    Interesting report and comparison with DHR. So you'll run the Exo with a liner but do you think it'd be fine without the liner if it was Exo+?

I was at the shop and some new Scotts had a 2.6 Dissector Exo front with a 2.6 Rekon Exo on the rear with 30mm rims. They looked like a great high volume fast trail setup. I'd like to try something like this but maybe slightly beefier for my Ripmo AF. Wondering if anyone has tried a similar setup with a 2.6 Dissector Exo front with a 2.5 Aggressor Exo or 2.6 Dissector Exo or Exo+ rear?
    Yeah, poor luck with EXO+ casing here. Was hopeful at first, but tore DHR+ in 1 week on local mixed rocky XC trails even with near 30psi. So, I have found no benefit of + casing over regular EXO. + may even be weaker due to 120tpi in 3C compound compared to standard EXO DC compound with 60tpi threads
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i've been on the dissector since early march and the side knobs are wearing pretty quickly. this is a 2.4 exo 27.5 version. it seems to roll better than my exo+ dhr2, straight line braking is pretty decent, but not as good as the dhr2.

so far it seems like a pretty good tire, i'll probably pick this over the aggressor as a rear. just surprised the side knobs are getting chewed up so quickly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Dissector-20200610_204814.jpg  

Maxxis Dissector-20200610_204855.jpg  

Maxxis Dissector-20200610_204844.jpg  

Maxxis Dissector-20200610_204828.jpg  

Maxxis Dissector-20200610_204805.jpg  

2017 yeti sb6c turq x01 eagle

mtbr member
    Put in 11 laps yesterday in the bike park here in VA, pretty tame flowy stuff compared to most parks....blue and black laps. Had put the 3c 2.4 back on the front and the DC 2.4 on the rear. It was dry and dusty, loose at times for sure. The combo was absolutely fantastic and fast. I ran the DHF 2.5 last trip up front and I actually preferred this set up. For the foreseeable future, running the Dissector F and R is gonna be my go to.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by useport80 View Post
    i've been on the dissector since early march and the side knobs are wearing pretty quickly. this is a 2.4 exo 27.5 version. it seems to roll better than my exo+ dhr2, straight line braking is pretty decent, but not as good as the dhr2.

so far it seems like a pretty good tire, i'll probably pick this over the aggressor as a rear. just surprised the side knobs are getting chewed up so quickly
    I had the same type of wear on my Assegai 3C Exo+. Center tread didn't look bad at all, but I got to the point of some side knobs actually being torn off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Anyone here running a 2.6 Dissector front with a 2.4 Dissector or 2.5 Aggressor in the rear? I'm looking for something like the classic 2.5 DHF/2.4 DHR2 but one step faster rolling. Yes, I know I will loose some grip too. The 2.6 Dissector weighs about the same as the 2.5 DHF so there may not even be a point running it though. 2.5 DHF with 2.4 Dissector might make more sense but weight isn't everything when it comes to rolling resistance.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    Anyone here running a 2.6 Dissector front with a 2.4 Dissector or 2.5 Aggressor in the rear? I'm looking for something like the classic 2.5 DHF/2.4 DHR2 but one step faster rolling. Yes, I know I will loose some grip too. The 2.6 Dissector weighs about the same as the 2.5 DHF so there may not even be a point running it though. 2.5 DHF with 2.4 Dissector might make more sense but weight isn't everything when it comes to rolling resistance.
    Just put a Dissector 2.4 DC on back of my Ripmo V2 with a 2.6 3C on front with 35mm rims. Haven't ridden trail on them yet but getting ready to go on a trip for 6 weeks to Deer Valley, UT and Jackson Hole, WY. Looking forward to this set-up, seems to roll better than Minions and Lord knows if these tires are good enough for Troy Brosnan, they're good enough for my 60-yr-old, mediocre riding self. Taking a Ripley V4 and HD5 also so should be able to get some good comparisons.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nice. Interested to hear what you think.
    2020 Ripmo AF

Got rocks?
    I told myself I didnít need a dissector and I caved, found a 2.6 exo+ for the rear maybe front to try. Got a 2.6 assegai exo+ too.

mtbr member
    Can anyone compare the dissector to the aggressor? What does it do better/worse as a rear?

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Can anyone compare the dissector to the aggressor? What does it do better/worse as a rear?
    What it does better:
    Brakes better.
    Corners very slightly better in loose.
    Rolls faster.
    Lighter.

What it does worse:
    Not as durable.
    Climbing traction is worse.

mtbr member
    What it does better:
    Brakes better.
    Rolls faster.
    Lighter.

What it does worse:
    Not as durable.
    Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just put the Dissector in 2.4 on the front of a new Ripley v4 with a 2.4 Reckon out back on 30mm id rims. Really pleased with how well the dissector hooked up on loose over hard pack. I feel like it rolls well and holds a line when laid over enough. I didnít experience any quick wash outs with the front end. I feel like I needed to be a bit more careful than with something like a specz Butcher, or a minion, but it also rolled better in my opinion.

mtbr member
    What it does better:
    Brakes better.
    Rolls faster.
    Lighter.

What it does worse:
    Not as durable.
    I'd agree with the above except I'd actually say that it climbs better for me. I think its been debated above, but I think this entirely depends on where you are riding and what you are riding on.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    When you guys say it's less durable, which Dissector are you referring to EXO 3C or DC? Also less durable tread, sidewalls or both? I'm looking for the EXO+ online but can't find any and it only comes in 3C. Wondering if I can go with an EXO DC but not sure if it's durable enough for my Tahoe Riding. If not, I'd have to go with a DHR2 DC EXO or EXO+ since I can't run an Aggressor in mid-late summer because the soil just gets too loose.
    2020 Ripmo AF

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thenry View Post
    I just put the Dissector in 2.4 on the front of a new Ripley v4 with a 2.4 Reckon out back on 30mm id rims. Really pleased with how well the dissector hooked up on loose over hard pack. I feel like it rolls well and holds a line when laid over enough. I didnít experience any quick wash outs with the front end. I feel like I needed to be a bit more careful than with something like a specz Butcher, or a minion, but it also rolled better in my opinion.
    I am just coming off this combo on 30mm id rim's. I rode it for 3 months. It was great until the reckons lost the top rubber. Then rear just slid all over the place on loose over hardpack and on climbs that were also loose over hardpack or rocky. Going down twisty, sandy or rocky stuff was also less than comfortable as the rear lost grip. It was a fast rolling combo on the straights though. Put a dissector on the rear instead, 2.4 DC exo. Just did a ride with it and it was much much better over the loose stuff and on climbs, but also a bit more draggy on the straights as expected but It still rolls pretty darn good all things considered. Only time will tell if the Dissector/Dissector combo is a keeper when the rear also wears down the top rubber.

mtbr member
    I just finished off my second 29x2.4 dissector as a rear tire. The first was a 3c tire, second was a DC tire. I really like the dissector, but I only get about 6-10 rides out of each (120-150 miles) before the center knobs are so rounded and destroyed that they are ultimately a drift nightmare. The DC tire lasted a bit longer, but it ultimately died the same fate as the 3c tire. The side knobs aren't a huge issue, although I do find them less durable then both the DHR2 and the Aggressor.

Overall, great tire but because of the durability issues, I'll likely be looking elsewhere. I think for me, the XR4 or SE4 provides a similar amount of rolling resistance and straight line grip, a slight reduction in overall side lug/cornering grip and significantly longer wear.

I was really hoping to get better mileage out of the DC version... but it was not to be. I do think this may be something that's specific to my riding terrain. Lots of DG surfaces, loose over hard sand stone, hard pack and rock riding in socal. I prefer to ride steeps and I'm known to square off corners often piling down rock rolls into blown out berms. I think these conditions don't lend well to the dissector living very long.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    I just finished off my second 29x2.4 dissector as a rear tire. The first was a 3c tire, second was a DC tire. I really like the dissector, but I only get about 6-10 rides out of each (120-150 miles) before the center knobs are so rounded and destroyed that they are ultimately a drift nightmare. The DC tire lasted a bit longer, but it ultimately died the same fate as the 3c tire. The side knobs aren't a huge issue, although I do find them less durable then both the DHR2 and the Aggressor.

Overall, great tire but because of the durability issues, I'll likely be looking elsewhere. I think for me, the XR4 or SE4 provides a similar amount of rolling resistance and straight line grip, a slight reduction in overall side lug/cornering grip and significantly longer wear.

I was really hoping to get better mileage out of the DC version... but it was not to be. I do think this may be something that's specific to my riding terrain. Lots of DG surfaces, loose over hard sand stone, hard pack and rock riding in socal. I prefer to ride steeps and I'm known to square off corners often piling down rock rolls into blown out berms. I think these conditions don't lend well to the dissector living very long.
    DAYUMMMM. Yeah man, for sure. I have over 500 miles on my 3C front, and about 200 on a 3C rear. Thats a few bike park days thrown in the mix to boot. Both are nearly like new. You are KILLING tires bro. LOL
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yeah, 6-10 rides?! I often ride 3 days a week so that'd be a problem! Maybe it's the conditions and riding style like you say. I don't brake that hard, tend to keep a smooth flow through turns, am light on the bike I guess. Tires last me pretty long usually.
    2020 Ripmo AF

Got rocks?

Maxxis Dissector

Got mine in. Gonna test this weekend and see how it compares to my two favorite rears Hans dampf and rekon.

mtbr member

What in SoCal are you riding that you destroy tires like that?

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Got mine in. Gonna test this weekend and see how it compares to my two favorite rears Hans dampf and rekon.
    Ahhhh the good ol ass-dissector

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

Robertson

I've had excellent luck with riding and wear characteristics of the XR4/SE4 as a rear in Socal. I've tried other tires and just keep coming back to these

mtbr member
    What in SoCal are you riding that you destroy tires like that?

Laguna and some other places I can't mention. Likewise, I can't say the names of the trails I'm riding in laguna either... For trails I can mention, Joplin, skinsuit and of course the san gabes. Car Wreck, Laguna Ridge and mentally sensitive would be much, much easier then the trails I'm typically riding.

I broke down and got a 29 x 2.6 DC dissector to try on the back of my trance 29. I'm pairing that with a 29x2.6 EXO+ DHR2 as a front tire. I wanted to give the exo+ 2.6 tires a try to see if the casing makes them more usable to me. Previously, I found that the sidewalls of 2.6 tires just folded over, causing me to run the same psi as I would run a 2.5, and I ended up with a more round profile, so it was harder to stay on the side lugs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nice. Interested to hear how these work. I'm looking for the 2.4 exo+ to pair with my Assegai or DHF 2.5 fronts. No luck finding the Exo+ yet. I hear ya on the 2.6s. I've demo'd them on several bikes and they were good for moderate trail riding but once I was on aggressive terrain or jumping, there wasn't enough support unless I bumped the pressure up, negating the benefits of 2.6. It was really pronounced when hitting bermed corners really hard or hitting a jump lip and pressing in to whip and I would get the tires to rub the fork legs!
    2020 Ripmo AF

Got rocks?
    Got the Ass-Dissector combo mounted up both in 2.6 exo+. They measure the same size pretty much. 2.4x sidewalls 2.5x knobs. Gonna see how much they will grow.

Very curious how they roll and how the dissector does in my terrain with that big transition zone in the back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Has anyone had any luck getting the 2.4 exo+ 29er dissector? A buddy ordered them from two different places on Amazon and both times was sent a 2.6. I've got an order in as well from the same retailers so I'm hoping it's not wrong too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Rode a really steep dry rutted out descent that I've only ever ridden with a DHF before with my Dissector front for the first time (too lazy to swap tires). Really impressed me, I was convinced it was going to wash while smashing ruts in the steeps but it held the line really well. Continue to be really happy with the dry performance of this tire. Not as happy with the Rekon on the back, I may just end up doing a 2.4 Dissector on both ends.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Glad I'm not the only one underwhelmed by the Dissector/Rekon combo. It's ok in the woods but once it gets loose, the rekon out back is underwhelming

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by freetors1 View Post
    Has anyone had any luck getting the 2.4 exo+ 29er dissector? A buddy ordered them from two different places on Amazon and both times was sent a 2.6. I've got an order in as well from the same retailers so I'm hoping it's not wrong too.
    Yeah, this just happened to me to. In the process of returning to Amazon. Must be coded wrong in Amazon. My receipt showed TB00236900. I decided to order directly thru the retailer this time. When I checked out, the PN TB00259800 was correct for the selection and what I wanted, 29x 2.4WT EXO+. So hopefully I get the right part this time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Put a 2.4 Dissector on front of my Ripley for Park City and rode a -23* trail that was loose over hard and tight and rooty for nearly half a mile and the tire just laughed at it. Couldn't believe how much better it was than other tires I've used on it. The Rekon on the back, however.......
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Rode a really steep dry rutted out descent that I've only ever ridden with a DHF before with my Dissector front for the first time (too lazy to swap tires). Really impressed me, I was convinced it was going to wash while smashing ruts in the steeps but it held the line really well. Continue to be really happy with the dry performance of this tire. Not as happy with the Rekon on the back, I may just end up doing a 2.4 Dissector on both ends.
    Iím running a Dissector 2.4 out front on loos over hard and have really impressed. Also running a Rekon 2.4 out back that is entirely underwhelming.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123