Maxxis Dissector - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have only used the Dissector as a rear and in dry, dusty and rocky trail conditions. My 29er tyre was light, I think 830gms from memory. I found the Dissector rolls significantly faster than a 2.4 DHRII 3C and close to the same as a 2.3DHRII dual compound.

Grip wise I found the Dissector is a step down from the 2.4 and 2.3 DHRII tyres in all aspects. It just doesn't hang on like the DHR in the corners. There's not much in it but they do get into drift easier when you really lean on the pedals and drive it thru. Braking the DHR kills it.

All tyres running 26psi with cushcore FYI.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    anybody finding maxxterra 29 2.4 for sale anywhere?
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6008-3...RA-EXO-TR-WT-T

Just got 2 there a few weeks ago. Shipping to US was pretty cheap and ~4 days I think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've got a new one I'd ship anywhere in the USA for $85, includes shipping.
    I spent more than that on it and loosing shipping on top but just going a different direction.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I am considering to try Dissector on my 27.5 AM bike. Currently running Magic Mary 2.35 and Aggressor 2.5 EXO 60 2c.
    So Cal dry, dusty, loose over HP.
    Anyone can comment how the Dissector compares to Magic Mary in the front and Aggressor in the back?
    I also have an Assegai 3c 60 EXO waiting to be mounted to the front, but am a bit hesitant due to its weight /1040g/ I believe Mary was around 850g

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I am considering to try Dissector on my 27.5 AM bike. Currently running Magic Mary 2.35 and Aggressor 2.5 EXO 60 2c.
    So Cal dry, dusty, loose over HP.
    Anyone can comment how the Dissector compares to Magic Mary in the front and Aggressor in the back?
    I also have an Assegai 3c 60 EXO waiting to be mounted to the front, but am a bit hesitant due to its weight /1040g/ I believe Mary was around 850g
    I tried the Dissector on the front paired with an Aggressor and felt a bit of pushing on my AM bike.Ended up putting on an Assegai and don't really feel the weight.

The Dissector found a home on the front of my XC bike for the winter paired with a Forekaster.

I'm in NorCal with the usual blown-out conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I spent a year w/ the MM on the front (HD on the back). MM is light and has great rolling resistance for what it is. Its giant lugs are designed more for loamy&muddy terrain - and it often is reported to do better in wetter/muddier conditions.

Out in the dry conditions of CO Front Range, I found it not to grip as well. Versus the DHF, bigger lugs would squirm under cornering load, and tire would (moreso) slide on loose-over-hard. DHF won - but with the sacrifice of weight and rolling resistance. :/

Dissector keeps some of the DHF composure up front - I'm guessing from tougher blocks that squirm less? I found it more 'capable' on dustry/dry/rocky. However, I admit that I really, really like the Addix Soft compound... felt like *glue* - BUT, just for a bit. After a couple months, didn't feel as 'sticky', which I guess could be part of simply wearing out quickly.

B/c I switched from MM back to DHF, It's been a while since I've been on the MM. But, I'd guess the Dissector rolls faster. Definitely feels better hold on the corners in the dry. I like the 'transition' to corner lugs... mostly b/c it doesn't actually feel like a transition!

IN general, no, the Dissector is not a DHF/Assegai... def lighter duty category. But, IMHO it is better suited for dry/rocky than the MM. (I had to go down to 18PSI to like the tire up front, and my sweet spot w/ MM was ~20ish.) 2.4" is fine for 'Aggressive Trail'. I'm guessing that the 2.6" will prob be a better choice for me up front so I can push more in the gnar to really call it 'all mountain'. Looking forward to when they properly launch the line in 2020...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Good info. I agree with everything you said regarding MM Addix vs. DHF 2.5 as a front.

Sounds like the Dissector is a really ideal fast rolling lightweight front trail tire, even aggressive trails. My fellow tire nerds were sort of indicating this which is why I sold mine off before riding it. Sounds killer just not exactly what I'm looking for in a front at this junction. Would also make a killer rear tire for loam or loose conditions in the rear in an Exo casing.

But it's not a DHF, Assagai, etc...

Anyone tried the Hans Dampf 2 as an aggressive front tire?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Good info. I agree with everything you said regarding MM Addix vs. DHF 2.5 as a front.

Sounds like the Dissector is a really ideal fast rolling lightweight front trail tire, even aggressive trails. My fellow tire nerds were sort of indicating this which is why I sold mine off before riding it. Sounds killer just not exactly what I'm looking for in a front at this junction. Would also make a killer rear tire for loam or loose conditions in the rear in an Exo casing. But it's not a DHF, Assagai, etc...

Anyone tried the Hans Dampf 2 as an aggressive front tire?
    My Ripmo came w/ the Addix HansDampf 2 up front... was *all* over the place. Then swapped the NN rear for HD rear. Better but not enough. Then upgraded the HD up front for the MM w/ HD rear. Best, but still not enough for me.

For rocky/dry/hardpack/kittylitter (for me) the Dissector was an improvement in everything except rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    FYI, WorldWideCyclery has the 29er EXO version in stock again. Ordered one to try as a rear (instead of DHR) with Assegai front.

mtbr member
    Snagged two. One to try on the rear and one for sh*ts and giggles. Thanks bro. They are already gone. Crazy.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    I have only used the Dissector as a rear and in dry, dusty and rocky trail conditions. My 29er tyre was light, I think 830gms from memory. I found the Dissector rolls significantly faster than a 2.4 DHRII 3C and close to the same as a 2.3DHRII dual compound.

Grip wise I found the Dissector is a step down from the 2.4 and 2.3 DHRII tyres in all aspects. It just doesn't hang on like the DHR in the corners. There's not much in it but they do get into drift easier when you really lean on the pedals and drive it thru. Braking the DHR kills it.

All tyres running 26psi with cushcore FYI.
    Considering this tire was designed as more of a dry conditions bikepark tire, how do you think it is for general trail riding? Considering that it is supposed to roll pretty quick but is knobby it seems like a good choice for getting more volume than a 2.3 minion without a bunch of rolling resistance.

The 2.4 3C dhr2 combo on my hightower is still working amazingly well for dh riding but its definitely slow pedalling. I think slapping a dissector on the rear of my bike would be a step backwards for my downhill riding but for more pedal-y stuff it might be a better choice. I rode with 2.3 minion for awhile and found the rolling resistance to be okay but thought a bit more volume would be nice. Now the 2.4 dhr2 has good volume and grip but is slow pedalling so...

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Pro Bike Supply seems to have the 2.9Ēx2.6Ē 3C/EXO in stock (TB00237000), but this isnít a SKU on Maxxisí website (no 2.6Ē for 29Ē tires).

Ordered one to see what I get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ripmo Ď19
    Spectral Ď18

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agreenbike View Post
    Considering this tire was designed as more of a dry conditions bikepark tire, how do you think it is for general trail riding? Considering that it is supposed to roll pretty quick but is knobby it seems like a good choice for getting more volume than a 2.3 minion without a bunch of rolling resistance.

The 2.4 3C dhr2 combo on my hightower is still working amazingly well for dh riding but its definitely slow pedalling. I think slapping a dissector on the rear of my bike would be a step backwards for my downhill riding but for more pedal-y stuff it might be a better choice. I rode with 2.3 minion for awhile and found the rolling resistance to be okay but thought a bit more volume would be nice. Now the 2.4 dhr2 has good volume and grip but is slow pedalling so...
    Man, the DHR2 2.4 has been my fav F and R tire for a long time so I feel like we are in the same ball game here. I've put my feedback above, which you can go dig in to, but I went from the DHF2.5 to the Dissector 2.4 on my HT2 and I am in love with this tire on my "trail" bike man. I think you should really give it a go. Its fast, it breaks well, it corners hard. I dig it, and you may too. So far (Hard pack, rocks, loose, pine straw, leaves, dirt) it has done fantastic. We do have some legitimate Sandy areas out here in Virginia and it digs in a bit too much there.
    Santa Cruz HT2

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Ran Dissector and Assegai combo. I finally found peace with Maxxis Forekaster 2.6Ē front and 2.35Ē rear:

"This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Grapes View Post
    Pro Bike Supply seems to have the 2.9Ēx2.6Ē 3C/EXO in stock (TB00237000), but this isnít a SKU on Maxxisí website (no 2.6Ē for 29Ē tires).

Ordered one to see what I get.

I ordered a 2.6 in 27.5 and 29 but later got an email saying they didn't have them and it was a mistake. Will be 3-5 weeks till they get them. Did they send you one?
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    I ordered a 2.6 in 27.5 and 29 but later got an email saying they didn't have them and it was a mistake. Will be 3-5 weeks till they get them. Did they send you one?
    I just checked my email and got the same response... Willing to wait 3-5 weeks, but if it takes much longer than that Iím pretty sure we are looking at an unknown timeline.

Ripmo Ď19
    Spectral Ď18

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz HT2

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Considering the back and forth over the comparisons to a Bontrager SE4 in this thread, this part of the PinkBike review made me chuckle...

The Dissector worked well in the prime-time bike park conditions, but I was curious to see how it would fare when things were less perfect, so I've been pedaling around with it on the back of a trail bike for the last couple of months. It turns out it's much more versatile than I'd initially anticipated, with handling that's very similar to a Bontrager SE4.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Iíll take it!

mtbr member
    As soon as the dual compound DD or possibly the Exo+ drops I am in too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    As soon as the dual compound DD or possibly the Exo+ drops I am in too.
    Same here, My hope is for MaxxTerra and EXO or DD. I have no use for dual compound.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateMob View Post
    Same here, My hope is for MaxxTerra and EXO or DD. I have no use for dual compound.
    Maxxterra wears out too fast as a back tire IMO. I would still be in with a 3C DD but I would prefer dual compound to not be changing tires once a month.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Considering the back and forth over the comparisons to a Bontrager SE4 in this thread, this part of the PinkBike review made me chuckle...
    And XR4/SE4 comes in 2.6 already.

mtbr member
    Received my Dissector 27.5 X 2.4 tires today. Going to try them front and rear. 42 gram difference between the 2 tires!

Maxxis Dissector-tire1.jpg

Maxxis Dissector-tire2.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post
    Received my Dissector 27.5 X 2.4 tires today. Going to try them front and rear. 42 gram difference between the 2 tires!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tire1.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	1297783

Name:	Tire2.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	280.4 KB 
ID:	1297785
    I bought several of the 29 x 2.4 and they were ALL over 900 grams. 910-930 IIRC. Supposed to be 860. ugh
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post

Name:	Tire1.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	1297783

Name:	Tire2.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	280.4 KB 
ID:	1297785
    How's it like riding with them on both front and rear? I'm curious about throwing one on the rear (29x2.4) with a 2.6 Specialized butcher front.

Rocks belong
    I bought several of the 29 x 2.4 and they were ALL over 900 grams. 910-930 IIRC. Supposed to be 860. ugh
    Am I the only one that is actually thinking "over 900g... good!"??

I'm afraid to run 2.4+ 29er rubber in the 800's or below. They just don't hold up for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

I'm afraid to run 2.4+ 29er rubber in the 800's or below. They just don't hold up for me.
    I run inserts so for a front tire, ideally a wide-ish 29er would weigh around 850g.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Being only 145 pounds, I'm not that hard on tires and the lighter the better cuz I climb a lot and use them more for "trail" than just for DH. That said, I put a couple of Dissector 2.4's on my HD5 and they roll pretty well compared to the DHF 2.6 and Aggressor 2.5 I used to run on my HD4.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

I'm with stupid

Nope I am 200lbs with gear and anything under 1000 grams in less than a DD casing without cushcore makes me think it is flimsy. I think the industry builds everything to the 150lbs folks that why I have to ride a beefy bike with massive tires and still break stuff all while following my much lighter friends that never even get a flat on the same line with just EXO tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Nope I am 200lbs with gear and anything under 1000 grams in less than a DD casing without cushcore makes me think it is flimsy. I think the industry builds everything to the 150lbs folks that why I have to ride a beefy bike with massive tires and still break stuff all while following my much lighter friends that never even get a flat on the same line with just EXO tires.
    Been saying the same thing for years. From shocks, to wheels, tires, and even pedals. I haven't gotten 2 seasons out of a set of pedals since the '90s.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm 180#s and all tires short of DH casings don't ride well without inserts imo.
    So a light tire with inserts works well for me as I rarely tear a tire even in very rocky conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sooo howís it as a front tire?

XC iconoclast

Damn, Amazon had the 2.6 and it's gone now too! No listing at all now.

mtbr member
    I havenít had a chance to mount the tires or even build up my new 27.5 bike yet. Been too busy with work and kids. Life getting in the way....

XC iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    Sooo howís it as a front tire?

Pardon the sarcasm, but we've almost all ridden a Dissector in the past. How? A DHF with worn-down center lugs. Then you put it on the back and voila, you have already tried a Dissector in the back. Works pretty good doesn't it lol.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    A Dissector seems to have considerably larger gaps between the knobs than a DHF, but I haven't measured to verify.
    Anyways, I have one on the way to test soon.
    Did the 2nd batch of these things come in significantly heavier or something?
    I run inserts front and rear so prefer a light front tire.

mtbr member
    I rode a DHF and Dissector back to back this weekend up front. Definitely two different tires man, but you can look at it how ever you want I suppose. LOL Pretty close, but we all know small differences in tires make a world of difference sometimes.

Weights here recently do seem to be increasing as I've seen some guys posting over 900g. I have had three. The first was the early batch and it was 861. Recently got two additional and they weigh around 890.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I rode a DHF and Dissector back to back this weekend up front. Definitely two different tires man, but you can look at it how ever you want I suppose. LOL Pretty close, but we all know small differences in tires make a world of difference sometimes.

Weights here recently do seem to be increasing as I've seen some guys posting over 900g. I have had three. The first was the early batch and it was 861. Recently got two additional and they weigh around 890.
    So to clarify, you're saying the Dissector is a notable step behind in traction from the DHF 2.5 3c as a front I guess, while rolling notably better?
    I've tried so many tires and have a Dissector in the mail currently.
    My top 2 tires (the best compromise for traction to RR) so far have been the MSC Gripper and a proto tire that I was able to recently test but can't share any info about.
    Somehow I was able to find an absolute favorite rear tire but still don't have a 'regular' front choice that I really prefer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I like running a 2.5 DHF up front tho it does fill up with sticky mud on days where its a bit slick and not all loamy here in PNW. Highroller seems to shed the mud a bit better with wider spacing. Wondering if the Dissector and its wider spacing might be better in that regard?

What's your fav rear tire Suns?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    If I can't get my hands on a pair of dissectors in the next couple of weeks I may go with a 2.4 DHR front and something faster rolling on the rear.

I know that's not particularly interesting to anyone, I just don't have anyone else to tell.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by jgdblue View Post
    If I can't get my hands on a pair of dissectors in the next couple of weeks I may go with a 2.4 DHR front and something faster rolling on the rear.

I know that's not particularly interesting to anyone, I just don't have anyone else to tell.
    Running a 2.4 DHR2 front, 2.4 SE4 rear here. Currently not interested in the 3C Dissector out back. We'll see where I end up when the SE4 needs a replacement.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    I like running a 2.5 DHF up front tho it does fill up with sticky mud on days where its a bit slick and not all loamy here in PNW. Highroller seems to shed the mud a bit better with wider spacing. Wondering if the Dissector and its wider spacing might be better in that regard?

What's your fav rear tire Suns?
    Vittoria Agarro for the rear for my purposes. It's awesome.
    But I don't encounter any mud, at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Great thread and need some advice. I've just picked up a 2.4 dissector, 2.4 SE4 and 2.3 Griffin. I've just moved over to Australia so it dry, dusty, loose over hard.

I'm currently on 2.6 DHF f and 2.6 Reckon r which I find OK but can't get on with the transition moving to the side lugs on the DHF. I find the 2.6 a little vague in corners too, especially when flatter terrain.

So, which should I try front and rear first? Griffin will only be a rear but not sure which of the 3 and order to ride first. The Maxxis are all exo but I'm light so going to risk lowish sidewall protection.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Vittoria Agarro for the rear for my purposes. It's awesome.
    But I don't encounter any mud, at all.

Is there a tire you can compare Agarro to?
    Also any pics of it mounted?
    I know there's a thread on it but last time I was in there there wasn't much posted up.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Is there a tire you can compare Agarro to?
    Also any pics of it mounted?
    I know there's a thread on it but last time I was in there there wasn't much posted up.

The Agarro rides like a 2.3 Aggressor, that feels slightly wider, more damped and less bouncy. And notably faster rolling with nearly the same or slightly better traction. It also holds it's performance longer even when well worn. Frankly it's better in every single way.
    The Agarro feels very much like an HD2 in all regards but feels just a hair less lively acceleration wise, but also more solid and more damped. It's also more reliable. Both the HD2 and Agarro perform well when worn but eventually the HD2 will chunk knobs.
    I wish Vittoria applied their tire expertise to a good front tire that suited my needs. DHF like but at a lowish weight.
    I'll add a photo this evening.

mtbr member
    The Agarro rides like a 2.3 Aggressor, that feels slightly wider, more damped and less bouncy. And notably faster rolling with nearly the same or slightly better traction. It also holds it's performance longer even when well worn. Frankly it's better in every single way.
    The Agarro feels very much like an HD2 in all regards but feels just a hair less lively acceleration wise, but also more solid and more damped. It's also more reliable. Both the HD2 and Agarro perform well when worn but eventually the HD2 will chunk knobs.
    I wish Vittoria applied their tire expertise to a good front tire that suited my needs. DHF like but at a lowish weight.
    I'll add a photo this evening.

That's great input, thanks!

Rocks belong
    How's the Agarro casing feel? I typically shy away from 120TPI casings... especially out back

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have ridden the Agarro front and back 29x2.35 since release. East coast singletrack, rooty and heavy rock gardens. Excellent tire. Tread design doesn't look like a burly tough tire, but it is. I have beat them in trails that way tires with no issues. Traction is excellent in all conditions but I haven't had in bone dry loose over hard.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How's the Agarro casing feel? I typically shy away from 120TPI casings... especially out back
    Getting OT here, but the Agarro feels really numb or dead in the rear whereas the Aggressor feels bouncy and the HD2 feels compliant. Not sure how 120tpi should typically feel?

Photo attached It'll get replaced very soon (already have a new one on the shelf) as you can see it's pretty beat, but honestly it still hooks pretty darn well.

It's the first tire I've ever had that I'm totally satisfied with and feel like it's fast enough for a fast XC ride and traction enough for Enduro and can hold up as well.

All I've ridden it on is dry rocky terrain.

2.35" exactly on a 28mm ID wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Running a 2.4 DHR2 front, 2.4 SE4 rear here. Currently not interested in the 3C Dissector out back. We'll see where I end up when the SE4 needs a replacement.
    I've given a lot of thought to running this exact combo. I really like the SE4 as a rear tire, but need just a bit more grip on the front. I have been running a 2.5 DHF front, but I don't want my next tire to be wider than 2.4.

How have you liked the DHR/SE4 combo?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Backcountry has the 29 x 2.6 in stock. Just snagged a couple in 3C MaxxTerra. Curious to see how they compare to a big DHF.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Can someone post a weight on the 29x2.6 if you get a chance? No info on Maxxis' Website currently?
    Santa Cruz HT2

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by jgdblue View Post
    How have you liked the DHR/SE4 combo?
    In short, it works. It won't wow you with all-out XC speed nor will it wow you with utmost grip at the extreme limits... but it's a great combo for daily, all-mountain riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Can someone post a weight on the 29x2.6 if you get a chance? No info on Maxxis' Website currently?
    Will do. My 29 x 2.4's all were at least 910-920 grams (heavier than claimed) but I'm hoping these are not more than 950. I like the tread but don't want to push around a Kg or more.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Anyone know anything about an EXO+ dissector? If and when?
    Ibis Ripmo AF Jade x // Commencal Absolut

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabber127 View Post
    Anyone know anything about an EXO+ dissector? If and when?
    That is what I am waiting for as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just got 3 of the 29 x 2.6 EXO MaxxTerras. Look just like the 2.4 and weighed 1,000-1,010 grams. Mounted one up to a 35mm rim and it was 2.54" at the knobs and 2.5" at the tread so will probably stretch to stated size. That's where they usually start and stretch out overnight to stated size in my experience. A little heavier than I had hoped but if they roll better than DHF and have less of a vague transition, I'll be happy.
    Maxxis Dissector-img_4171.jpg
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

change is good
    Sep 2004
    In short, it works. It won't wow you with all-out XC speed nor will it wow you with utmost grip at the extreme limits... but it's a great combo for daily, all-mountain riding.
    That is a good combo. Only if the SE4 was less expensive or longer wearing, it would be darn near perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Just got 3 of the 29 x 2.6 EXO MaxxTerras. Look just like the 2.4 and weighed 1,000-1,010 grams. Mounted one up to a 35mm rim and it was 2.54" at the knobs and 2.5" at the tread so will probably stretch to stated size. That's where they usually start and stretch out overnight to stated size in my experience. A little heavier than I had hoped but if they roll better than DHF and have less of a vague transition, I'll be happy.

Name:	IMG_4171.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	1304465
    Thanks for all that info man. You are right, at that point a 2.5 DHF becomes an option so its really just which you prefer.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Name:	IMG_4171.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	1304465
    Are you going to run the 2.6 Dissector both front and rear or are you pairing it with an Assegai in the front?

I have a pair of 2.5 Assegai's from my Ripley that i want to par a better rolling rear with so im thinking the 2.5 Assegai in front and a Dissector in the rear. With the 2.6 option avaialble, i'm not sure which size would be more ideal. Typically we go with either a lesser aggressive or narrower tire in the rear relative to the front. But the 2.6 Dissector is both wider and seemingly as aggressive as the 2.5 Ass-guy so not sure if its a good pairing. OTOH, its only one tenth of an inch more technically so how much difference could it make?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ^^^I'm gonna use it as a front in place of a DHF and maybe a Dissector 2.4 or Rekon 2.6 in back. I have 2 35mm wheel sets I use for the Ripmo and I'm still playing around to see what I wanna do. May try the 2.4 Dissector in back to see if it rolls well enough. Then put the wheel with the 2.6 Rekon on it and compare.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ^^^I'm gonna use it as a front in place of a DHF and maybe a Dissector 2.4 or Rekon 2.6 in back. I have 2 35mm wheel sets I use for the Ripmo and I'm still playing around to see what I wanna do. May try the 2.4 Dissector in back to see if it rolls well enough. Then put the wheel with the 2.6 Rekon on it and compare.
    Willbe waiting for your ride report and thoughts on it in front planning to do the same thing and ditch the 2.5 DHF up front

mtbr member
    Here is my take on the Dissector

Disclaimer: it all depends on HOW and WHERE you ride. I think this pretty much is the answer to most of these questions.

Rear Tire: Dissector 2.4 WT Exo @ 21 PSI
    Front Tire: DHF 2.5WT Exo Maxx Terra @ 19 PSI

Background: 49 year old male, 215 ready to ride

Ability: intermediate / advanced - typically top 25% of down hill segment times on Strava on my local trails.

Miles ridden per year: 2500-4000

Bike: Size L Hightower CC with 160mm Front, 140mm Rear

Wheels: Light Bicycle Carbon, 33mm internal width

Style: Conservative until I know a feature / trail really well then aggressive. Will do smaller 2-3 bike length doubles.

Conditions: SoCal - Dry, loose over hard, chunky rock - "earn our descents - climbing typically 80% of time on bike (TOB) so tire weight is definitely a factor.

Typical rides: 1.5-2.5 hours with about 1,000 feet gained for every 8-10 miles distance.

Ok all that out of the way, I find the Dissector rolls better than the DHRII but doesn't have quite the straight line breaking grip. It also feels lighter than the Aggressor for climbing, rolls about the same, and has about the same braking grip on the descents. For most trail riding I prefer the Dissector on the back, but for places where I would place a premium on straight line braking grip (think the steep part of HighLine in Sedona; or steep, straight line braking in general) I would go with a DHRII 2.4 WT.

I think Maxxis did a great job at designing a tire that will probably fit most needs for aggressive trail riding. For lighter duty trail riding where there is a lot of climbing I would go with Ardent Race on the rear or Rekon.

mtbr member
    Wow man, you and I sound very similar. LOL I finally put some hard/challenging miles on one of my favorite VA trails yesterday. 3 Shuttles, 1K vert each, about 14 miles of pretty techy hard shredding.

Bike:
    Hightower V2 CC
    Enduro 305's
    Dissector 2.4 3C up front
    Rekon 2.4 DC out back (for 80% of the time this is perfect. Yesterday was me pushing situation on this this tire)

Rider:
    41 years old, loves to go WITH gravity, not against it. Well skilled, not as fast as I used to be. Love rock and will hit lots of stupid stuff if you let me. I like to show up to work on Mondays though.

Trail:
    Slacks to White Rock, Lake Sherando area of VA in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Known as some of the techiest old school trails around. Rained almost a half inch the night before so we started off on schetchy wet leaves and rock and ended the day with great traction. Some dirt, some leaves, lots of rock including a nice 1/4 mile full out rock garden section a ways down Slacks.

Report:
    The Dissector absolutely held its own. For shuttling, sure I would have rather been on a DHF 2.5 or an Assegie (both heavier with additional traction) but I never felt under gunned. The tire never gave out on me once over wet roots, rock, creek crossings, loose turns. I am telling you, its a mini DHF with a better transitional area. If you'd like to benefit from the weight savings, just try it. It rolls fast and goes hard. Ran at 19PSI.

Ran the Rekon (Just an FYI) and it definitely felt a little undergunned early in the day, but still zero issues in the afternoon. Wet leaves were its crutch.

Overall, I really don't have a reason to complain about this combo at all as it is easy to pedal and really livens up the bike. Outside of park days, this is probably one of the most technical trails I ride all year and I really didnt feel like I left anything to complain about on the table. For most of my Eastern VA riding, this combo is excelling.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Wow man, you and I sound very similar. LOL I finally put some hard/challenging miles on one of my favorite VA trails yesterday. 3 Shuttles, 1K vert each, about 14 miles of pretty techy hard shredding.

Bike:
    Hightower V2 CC
    Enduro 305's
    Dissector 2.4 3C up front
    Rekon 2.4 DC out back (for 80% of the time this is perfect. Yesterday was me pushing situation on this this tire)

Rider:
    41 years old, loves to go WITH gravity, not against it. Well skilled, not as fast as I used to be. Love rock and will hit lots of stupid stuff if you let me. I like to show up to work on Mondays though.

Report:
    The Dissector absolutely held its own. For shuttling, sure I would have rather been on a DHF 2.5 or an Assegie (both heavier with additional traction) but I never felt under gunned. The tire never gave out on me once over wet roots, rock, creek crossings, loose turns. I am telling you, its a mini DHF with a better transitional area. If you'd like to benefit from the weight savings, just try it. It rolls fast and goes hard. Ran at 19PSI.

Ran the Rekon (Just an FYI) and it definitely felt a little undergunned early in the day, but still zero issues in the afternoon. Wet leaves were its crutch.

Overall, I really don't have a reason to complain about this combo at all as it is easy to pedal and really livens up the bike. Outside of park days, this is probably one of the most technical trails I ride all year and I really didnt feel like I left anything to complain about on the table. For most of my Eastern VA riding, this combo is excelling.
    I run the same tire setup (Dissector front, Rekon rear) for most trails I ride. I still haven't tried in in the back. It also pairs decently with the narrower 2.3 Aggressor in the rear. The Dissector is still good in steep loose stuff as a front tire. I do notice more security in the loose with the DHF/DHR combo. With that, also more drag and weight on pedally trails. That said, I've also never had a wash out on the front with the Dissector. It's definitely my favorite front trail tire now.

For a long, fast descent, I'd still want the DHF out front though just in case. It's saved me from some really stupid choices.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Are these still out of stock everywhere?
    I ordered one but when it showed up it wasn't what I had ordered.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    What specifically did you order vs what did you get?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Are these still out of stock everywhere?
    I ordered one but when it showed up it wasn't what I had ordered.

Competitive Cyclist had all sizes last time I checked.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Competitive Cyclist had all sizes last time I checked.
    They have the 29x2.6 in stock but no 2.4.

mtbr member
    Back in stock at Worldwide Cyclery. Just got the notification email.

mtbr member
    Back in stock at Worldwide Cyclery. Just got the notification email.

Just grabbed the last 2.4 from wwc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I wish they would release the EXO+ 2.4 so I can give my money to Maxxis
    Last edited by Dale-Calgary; 01-18-2020 at 05:30 PM.

hispanic mechanic
    I know that itís been a minute, but to pop back to the comparisons between the Dissector and the SE4/XR4. While thereís definitely some similarities, the differences and fairly major (both 29x2.6)
    The gap between center and side knobs is significant, as is the shape and size of those side knobs.
    The XR4 in the pic obviously has some miles on it, but I thought this side by side shot would be helpful.

Maxxis Dissector-aa562acd-48b3-4644-b63b-8203317a8edd.jpg

Iím waiting on my new bike to mount this. I was originally planning to put the Dissector on the back with a 2.6 DHF on the front, but I may play around with this on the front and one of these ďpreviously lovedĒ XR4s on the back.
    Support your local trail organization.

www.swimba.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I just ordered a couple EXO's for front and rear for Moab. I think they will do well there. And when that damn EXO+ comes out I will probably order one of those for the rear with my assguy EXO+ for whistler riding.

I have too many tires.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to hearing your ride report with the Dissector 2.6 upfront and how it compares in size etc to Dissector 2.4 and performance with the DHF 2.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I ride a current model Bronson with a DHF 2.5WT 3C up front and an Aggressor 2.3 DC out back, being that the Dissector is only available in 3C right now, how would the rolling resistance compare to my current DC Aggressor?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Dissector 2.4 vs 2.6

I was undecided as to which wise width i wanted to put on the rear of my bike to pair with the 2.5 Assegai so i ordered both the 2.4 and the 2.6. Just got them yesterday so i decided to take some measurements. Keep in mind that my scale (and pretty much everyone elses) is not a fine calibrated item and so the exact absolute weight mine not be 100% laboratory accurate. What is important is repeat-ability despite any percentage of error in actual weight. This means, taking several measurements, ensuring they're all the same every time, then using the the delta difference between other tires or known weights. In this case, i really wanted to see the weight of the 2.6 Dissector as there's no official published numbers for it yet. I also wanted to see how it compares to some other tires i have lying around such as a 2.6 Rekon and a 2.5 Assegai which are known quantities.

First off, some baselines.
    29x2.6 Rekon 3C/Exo (like new): 832g
    29x2.5 Assegai 3C/Exo+ (like new): 1112g
    29x2.4 Dissector 3c/Exo (new with tag): 930g
    29x2.6 Dissector 3c/Exo (new with tag): 1028g

So the interesting thing here is the delta of the 2.4 to 2.6" Dissector, basically 100 grams more. Not only that, but also above the 1 KG mark now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Dissector-img_20200123_205314.jpg  

Maxxis Dissector-img_20200123_205421.jpg  

Maxxis Dissector-img_20200123_205124.jpg  

Maxxis Dissector-img_20200123_205210.jpg  

Last edited by JonF1; 01-24-2020 at 02:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Dissector 2.4 vs 2.6 part 2

I also was curious about some of the differences in the size of the tread. Now some of these comparisons are of limited value as they are not 3-dimensional, meaning, comparing the tread in 2d flat across a table vs real world use of inflating the tire 3d width. Nonetheless, there's a clear and substantial increase in lug height and width in a tire thats supposedly 2/10" wider.

Comparing the overall width of the widest side lug spread, the 2.6 is approx 1/4-5/16" wider, measured outside to outside. Visually, those lugs are also individually taller and wider, as is the center lugs (though i didn't mic the actual depths).

Maxxis Dissector-img_20200123_204414.jpgMaxxis Dissector-img_20200123_204710.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JonF1 View Post

29x2.5 Assegai 3C/Exo (like new): 1112g

So the interesting thing here is the delta of the 2.4 to 2.6" Dissector, basically 100 grams more. Not only that, but also above the 1 KG mark now.
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I feel compelled to point out that the packaging is likely responsible for putting the 2.6 over 1kg. It's got to weigh @25-50g.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I don't think the packaging is quite that heavy, but it's still weird when you look back and post #46 the Dissector 2.4 weighs 855 g. That's a really substantial weight difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I feel compelled to point out that the packaging is likely responsible for putting the 2.6 over 1kg. It's got to weigh @25-50g.
    While i don't disagree it accounts for some, i'd be surprised if it accounts for that much. Still, the delta of the two is useful given they both are tagged and tied.

mtbr member
    I just got a new one last night. 901 gr without packaging. The first 2 I got immediately after they were released weighed in the 850s.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I don't think the packaging is quite that heavy, but it's still weird when you look back and post #46 the Dissector 2.4 weighs 855 g. That's a really substantial weight difference.

It's not realistic to expect every scale to output lab quality precision down to the gram, especially since we're all using different el-cheapo brands--they're all going to have differing levels of deviation and percentage of error. In other words, every scale is pretty much guranteed to produce a different vale even if we all weighed the same item.

What is realistic is, for the same *exact* scale, seeing what different items weigh out. If the scale has a set deviation, its more realistic to epect the same deviation for every item. For example, if a scale prints 50g high around the 1 kg mark, every item will be approx 50g high. You can still compare items because the delta won't be affected, only the absolute value. So to see how much *more* item 2 is compared to item 1 (in this case the 2.6 vs 2.4 Dissector), its ok to compare.

But to that end, yes, my scale seems to print slightly high and is certainly higher than the other value in post #46 which seems more inline with the Maxxis official values. Hell, even the Rekon i weighted printed 50g higher than official.

I do have some calibration weights on my reloading bench, i should see what the actual deviation is...

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismomike View Post
    I just got a new one last night. 901 gr without packaging. The first 2 I got immediately after they were released weighed in the 850s.

Interesting. Do you still have the hang tag and zip tie? lets put this issue to rest once and for all. What's the damn packaging weight?!? lol

mtbr member
    It's not realistic to expect every scale to output lab quality precision down to the gram, especially since we're all using different el-cheapo brands--they're all going to have differing levels of deviation and percentage of error. In other words, every scale is pretty much guranteed to produce a different vale even if we all weighed the same item.

What is realistic is, for the same *exact* scale, seeing what different items weigh out. If the scale has a set deviation, its more realistic to epect the same deviation for every item. For example, if a scale prints 50g high around the 1 kg mark, every item will be approx 50g high. You can still compare items because the delta won't be affected, only the absolute value. So to see how much *more* item 2 is compared to item 1 (in this case the 2.6 vs 2.4 Dissector), its ok to compare.

But to that end, yes, my scale seems to print slightly high and is certainly higher than the other value in post #46 which seems more inline with the Maxxis official values. Hell, even the Rekon i weighted printed 50g higher than official.

I do have some calibration weights on my reloading bench, i should see what the actual deviation is...
    I certainly think they have gotten heavier since the first batch. Those were mine in post 46 and using the same scale yesterday weighed one from the most recent batch, both from Worldwide Cyclery. I bet the packaging weighs about 30 grams. I'll check when I get home. I have checked my scale against the calibrated shop scale we use for balancing connecting rods. My cheap scale is withing a few grams up to about 2 pounds.

mtbr member
    Interesting. Do you still have the hang tag and zip tie? lets put this issue to rest once and for all. What's the damn packaging weight?!? lol
    Haha, yeah but I'm at work right now. Give me s few hours and I'll check the zip tie and label card. Side bets? I say 28 gr.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'd bet more like 15-20 grams.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

Rocks belong
    29x2.5 Assegai 3C/Exo (like new): 1112g
    Thanks for posting these. I'm comfortable with 930g for the 2.4 Dissector, just waiting for a dual compound!

Also, looks like that Assegai is EXO+ and not EXO?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Also, looks like that Assegai is EXO+ and not EXO?
    Yeah, good eye! I went and corrected that. Kinda wish i had the lighter EXO...

mtbr member

The Assegai EXO 3C I bought wasnt any lighter tbh.
    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Haha, yeah but I'm at work right now. Give me s few hours and I'll check the zip tie and label card. Side bets? I say 28 gr.

Thatís a damn good guess! Iíve actually weighed the packaging and it weighed exactly 28g

mtbr member
    Well, I just figured the other guy got 930 with packaging, and mine was 901 without. So an ounce seemed right.

Last edited by Nismomike; 01-24-2020 at 10:05 PM.

mtbr member
    And since we already have a bunch of relevant tire weights, I'll add a couple others for people who are trying to decide. All tires are unused without packaging. Dont have pics of all, but I always put it in my notes.
    All 29"
    Aggressor 2.3 DC 910 gr
    Aggressor 2.3 DD 1085 gr
    DHF 2.3 3C EX0 971 gr
    DHF 2.6 3C EXO+ 1039 gr
    DHR2 2.3 3C EXO 890 gr
    DHR2 2.4 3C EXO 977 gr
    Assegai 2.5 3C EXO 1169 gr

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Well, I just figured the other guy got 930 with and mine was 901 without. So an ounce seemed right.

Now, is that the EXO or EXO+ zip tie for the record? 😋

Thanks for rounding back to this, it is somewhat surprising it was that much.

Knowing that, the 2.6 Dissector is likely right at 1000 g even. Maybe 999g after you wear the new tire tits of them. 😎

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Now, is that the EXO or EXO+ zip tie for the record? 😋

Thanks for rounding back to this, it is somewhat surprising it was that much.

Knowing that, the 2.6 Dissector is likely right at 1000 g even. Maybe 999g after you wear the new tire tits of them. 😎
    I bought 3 and they were 1,000, 1,000, and 1,010 grams. My scale is rounded to 10 grams.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Anyone notice the MaxxTerra Dissector wears pretty poorly?

mtbr member
    Nope. Wearing fantastic, two fronts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Being that the Dissector only comes in 3C right now, how does the rolling resistance compare to an Aggressor in Dual Compound?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I'm picking up my 2 in 2.4 today, I'll post the weights.

Edit Results.

914 and 939g with the packaging.

29" 2.4 exo 3C terra.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakillerta View Post
    Being that the Dissector only comes in 3C right now, how does the rolling resistance compare to an Aggressor in Dual Compound?
    Itís a bit better, while also feeling lighter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rocks belong
    I see you're in the Front Range, edited your comment to match with what I've learned on rear tires on the Front Range

Quote Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
    Anyone notice that MaxxTerra wears pretty poorly?

mtbr member
    Oddly enough, my dhr wore much better.

Last edited by TMWTP; 01-26-2020 at 06:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Edit: post appeared in the wrong place.
    I only ride loam:)

mtbr member
    I'm very intrigued by this tire.

I've been on 2.5" Minions for a long time now, usually DHF in the front and DHR II in the rear. My bike is a pig (36 pounds when it's clean), and I do climb A LOT as well as long distances. Looking at this thread, it looks like I can save about 5 ounces per tire by running Dissectors.

Honestly, Minions are amazing, but most of the time I think they're probably overkill for what I ride. There are only a handful of local trails that have sustained gnar to justify that much rubber.

What would I give up by running some Dissectors?
    I only ride loam:)

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
    Oddly enough, my dhr wore much better.

Makes sense, really, as the DHR2 has thicker/wider tread blocks than the Dissector. I'm currently trying a 3C 2.5WT HR2 out back for dry, sandy, gravely riding in AZ & NM... it is being shredded out back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieMonster View Post
    I'm very intrigued by this tire.

I've been on 2.5" Minions for a long time now, usually DHF in the front and DHR II in the rear. My bike is a pig (36 pounds when it's clean), and I do climb A LOT as well as long distances. Looking at this thread, it looks like I can save about 5 ounces per tire by running Dissectors.

Honestly, Minions are amazing, but most of the time I think they're probably overkill for what I ride. There are only a handful of local trails that have sustained gnar to justify that much rubber.

What would I give up by running some Dissectors?
    Braking and corner grip when the side knobs are fully engaged.

mtbr member
    Any ride reports on a Dissector 2.6 / 2.4 combo ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Maxxis Dissector-9865dfd0-347a-41c9-ab1e-704c9caef94c.jpegI just swapped out my 27.5 Aggressor 2.3 DC for a Dissector 2.4 3C

The Dissector weighed in at 844g (well over the advertised 787g) while my Agressor weighed in at 832g when new. I was hoping to drop a little weight from the Aggressor, but similar rolling resistance with added volume will be a welcomed addition. Iíll take it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I am currently rinding in muddy and sometimes snowy conditions Assegai 2.4 in the front and my Aggressor 2.6 in the back...

Normally i ride in summer for fast uphill performance. Rekon 2.6 in the front and an Ikon 2.35 in the back.

Thinking about Dissector 2.4 in the front and my Ikon 2.35 in the back instead of having my Rekon in the front...

What do you think? Is the dissector better/grippier/faster?! compared to a 2.6 Rekon as front tyre?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostina View Post
    I am currently rinding in muddy and sometimes snowy conditions Assegai 2.4 in the front and my Aggressor 2.6 in the back...

Normally i ride in summer for fast uphill performance. Rekon 2.6 in the front and an Ikon 2.35 in the back.

Thinking about Dissector 2.4 in the front and my Ikon 2.35 in the back instead of having my Rekon in the front...

What do you think? Is the dissector better/grippier/faster?! compared to a 2.6 Rekon as front tyre?
    Rekons are fairly low in traction and low on the traction scale of all maxxis tires. As such, they're better than ikons but still in the category of fast rolling rather than ultimate grip. Frankly, i've never been too impressed by them but they're good when you need good rolling efficiency. The Dissector will undoubtedly have more grip in every category but at the expense of added rolling resistance. Maxxis prescribes them mainly as a rear tire as a complement to the Assegai as a front. Assegai has the intermediate knob so it will have a better transition and advantage in cornering than the Dissector which as no intermediate knob. For that reason alone, they're best to run in that orientation, however, that never stops folks from experimenting.

The combo i've been riding lately as suggested by some folk here is a Forekaster 2.6 in front with a Rekon 2.6 in rear. The Forekaster has excellent cornering grip compared to the Rekon, the rear Rekon is always the first to break away leaned over hard in the turn.

Its winter here so our soil is mildly compacted but damp in some places and sandy and little loose in others so the knobs always have something to bite into.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ...... The Dissector will undoubtedly have more grip in every category but at the expense of added rolling resistance. Maxxis prescribes them mainly as a rear tire as a complement to the Assegai as a front......
    Where have they ever said this? I keep hearing people say this but Maxxis says on their site that it can be front, rear, or pair depending on conditions. Hell, Troy Brosnan ran 'em F/R on his DH bike last year. I've run it in the front in 2.6 and while it's not the absolute grip of the Assegai, it's close to a DHF but with a smaller channel for less vagueness.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Where have they ever said this? I keep hearing people say this but Maxxis says on their site that it can be front, rear, or pair depending on conditions. Hell, Troy Brosnan ran 'em F/R on his DH bike last year. I've run it in the front in 2.6 and while it's not the absolute grip of the Assegai, it's close to a DHF but with a smaller channel for less vagueness.
    When the Dissector launched it was stated it was a rear DH tire. See last paragraph in the link below.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/maxxis-d...look-2019.html

mtbr member
    I installed a 29x2.4 Dissector and got a good ride in on Sunday. I was previously running a 2.5 DHF in the back and I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't feel like I lost any traction at all cornering. It didn't feel much faster but I guess I will take Maxxis' word for it as it is hard to tell without doing an actual rolling resistance test.

I also installed a Assegai up front and strayed from my trusty tried and true DHF. The jury is still out on that one. It didn't feel like the side knobs engage as well the Minion knobs do. Opposite of what everyone else seems to be saying. I need to get a couple more rides in on it though as it was really dry and loose on Sunday.

Moderator Moderator
    It didn't feel like the side knobs engage as well the Minion knobs do.
    I think because of the open channel in the dhf when you're on the side knobs, you know you're on the side knobs, they just lock in. On the Assegai I don't feel that off/on, it's just on. They are a more boring tire to ride, but damn does it work. YMMV.

mtbr member
    I think because of the open channel in the dhf when you're on the side knobs, you know you're on the side knobs, they just lock in. On the Assegai I don't feel that off/on, it's just on. They are a more boring tire to ride, but damn does it work. YMMV.
    I have heard a few people say that transition knobs can keep the side knobs from biting as hard and that is kind of what it felt like. Just my initial impression though and I need to put some more time in on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    When the Dissector launched it was stated it was a rear DH tire. See last paragraph in the link below.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/maxxis-d...look-2019.html
    And in the next sentence they say it will suit both ends of a Trail bike. Considering the post I was referencing was a response to a guy who "rides in summer and wants uphill performance" I didn't think we were talking DH bikes. Plus, the guy that "designed" them rode them front and rear. I just don't think we should pigeon-hole them as rear specific. I think it's a pretty nice front as well, depending.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Just like the DHR DHF. Works great on either end regardless what Maxxis had in mind initially.

EDR
    Anyone have Dissector 27.5 2.6 vs.2.4 comparisons or any real world 2.6 vs. 2.5wt DHF thoughts on volume (visually or measured) or actual weight measurements? Like my 2.5 DHF up front but don't mind going a bit smaller. Looks like the 2.4 measures at 2.4 so that should be ok and give me a pretty good weight shed from the DHF. I'm guessing the 2.6 Dissector is about the same weight as a 2.5 DHR (WT/3c/exo)

I'm with stupid
    That is why for me the Highroller 2 is a great tire for the front. The First one was even better for that locked in feeling but most do not like the noting feeling between on and off.

mtbr member
    And in the next sentence they say it will suit both ends of a Trail bike. Considering the post I was referencing was a response to a guy who "rides in summer and wants uphill performance" I didn't think we were talking DH bikes. Plus, the guy that "designed" them rode them front and rear. I just don't think we should pigeon-hole them as rear specific. I think it's a pretty nice front as well, depending.
    I agree with you. I just thought you were looking for a reference.

I think that PinkBike reference might be the start of why people think of the Dissector as a rear tire. But if it works on the front as well, then all the better. Look at a DHR2. You wouldnít think those center, wide, paddle-like knobs would be a first choice as a front tire, but plenty of top-tier racers run them on certain courses.

Rocks belong
    That is why for me the Highroller 2 is a great tire for the front. The First one was even better for that locked in feeling but most do not like the noting feeling between on and off.
    ^^^This^^^

ESPECIALLY in sandy/gravelly loose crap that is sitting atop rock hard dirt

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Howís the durability? Iím headed to Moab and considering the 29 2.6 for my ripmo.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Man, I sure would like some DD dissectors to be announced, but hell, you canít even get the exo ones...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Man, I sure would like some DD dissectors to be announced, but hell, you canít even get the exo ones...

-Order them from the German Websites like bike-discount.de
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Maxxis has added a lot more versions of the Dissector but still no 2.4 WT 29" EXO+ that I was looking for

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-581-140-dissector

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Anyone compared the Dissector vs. the Hellcat? Weight, RR & traction is all I care about.
    Thx.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Maxxis has added a lot more versions of the Dissector but still no 2.4 WT 29" EXO+ that I was looking for

Iím a little confused with their additional options.
    Some are listed at 2.4WT and some as just 2.4...which Iím sure is an oversight.

I current have a 2.4WT 3C which is listed as 787g, real weight was 844g
    They now have a 2.4 DC and it is listed as 848

Iím guessing that 3C and DC are the same tire (casing, etc.) as usual, just with the different compound mix

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Iím a little confused with their additional options.
    Some are listed at 2.4WT and some as just 2.4...which Iím sure is an oversight.

I current have a 2.4WT 3C which is listed as 787g, real weight was 844g
    They now have a 2.4 DC and it is listed as 848

Iím guessing that 3C and DC are the same tire (casing, etc.) as usual, just with the different compound mix
    Pretty sure they're all "WT" at 2.4 and 2.6. Even the description of the tires says they are WT.

And all the ones I've gotten in 27.5, 29, 2.4 and 2.6 have come in at least 5% over advertised weight. Pretty typical for Maxxis IME.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    is there anyone who can tell the real width of the 2.6 tire? if they are available
    Bird zero AM with mt7 danny mcaskill, eagle nextie and some fun bits

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaterra View Post
    is there anyone who can tell the real width of the 2.6 tire? if they are available
    2.56" at the tread and 2.60" at the widest knobs at 20psi on 35mm rims after being at 35psi for a day or two.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

jrm
    mtbr member
    Does anyone have experience with the 2.4, dissector and bontrager X4 as front tires?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the 2.4, dissector and bontrager X4 as front tires?
    curious about this too, I want to try dissector/aggressor combo later this year

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    curious about this too, I want to try dissector/aggressor combo later this year
    Me too. Just replaced a worn 2.5 DHF exo up front with a 2.4 Dissector last week. Wow! Either this tire is the bomb as a front tire or my DHF was really worn down. A combo of both I'm sure but holy hell, loving it so far on my desert trails. The Rekon in back was an experiment at looking to shed weight from my 2.5 Aggressor. It does that and it's great on fast track but simply skids and slips too much on loose and rocky ups. The lugs just don't have the bite for that kind of stuff and it gets frustrating. I'm not talking about smooth slickrock type stuff, I'd bet it excells on that, rather jagged, pointy embedded rocks and grapefruit sized loose stuff.

Think I'll go back to the Agressor on the rear. Problem is they are 2.3 or 2.5. don't want a larger tire in the rear than on front. I still have my old aggressor, I think I'll mount it this week and see what it looks like...maybe even break out the calipers if anyone is curious on measurements. Or...I may pick up a 2.4 SE4 for out back, IDK.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Try the Vittoria Agarro 2.35 in the rear. It's exceptional.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post

DC is now available. Jackpot!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Or some DD Versions...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The 2.6 is only 2.55" wide, and with the weight increase of the 2.4 recently, only a 70 gram weight difference exists between the two sizes.

Anyone have an opinion on the 2.6 vs. the 2.4 as a front tire for Enduro style usage? Usually I'm pretty down on a big floaty tires but 2.5ish is in the ideal range ya know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

What would you compare Vittoria's Trail casing to in the Maxxis lineup?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NateMob View Post
    What would you compare Vittoria's Trail casing to in the Maxxis lineup?
    Search my other posts in this very thread as I covered it pretty well.

EDR

Sounds tiny. Been on ~2.5's f/r for quite a while with the occasional 2.4 in the rear. Not sure my ego will let me go back to 2.3-ish, lol

mtbr member
    That 2.4 DC with 60 TPI sure looks tempting, weird it's not listed as a WT though. Wish it was Exo+ casing as this is going on the rear of a bike I use for long Tahoe/Downieville type of rides. I'm coming off a Aggressor 2.5 DD boat anchor and looking for something that doesn't feel like I've got a keg of beer strapped to the back of the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Sounds tiny. Been on ~2.5's f/r for quite a while with the occasional 2.4 in the rear. Not sure my ego will let me go back to 2.3-ish, lol
    I get it cause I was on that trip for a long while myself. I just measured my Agarro and it's only 2.27" wide on a 28mm ID wheel. But it really does work so darn well.

I ran several 2.5 Aggressors, several DHRII 2.4s, & 1 2.5 DHF, until I realized how much they were truly slowing me down. For me after trying a couple of dozen REAR tires I'll choose a HD2 SG for park riding, the Rock Razor for dry/ hot not too sharp trail or XC riding, and the Agarro for absolutely everything else.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I ordered a 2.6 Dissector. Usually I'm not much of a fan of balloon tires but given the weight and measured width I'm hoping it's just on the same carcass that the DHF 2.5 uses as that seems about right to me.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    I ordered a 2.6 Dissector. Usually I'm not much of a fan of balloon tires but given the weight and measured width I'm hoping it's just on the same carcass that the DHF 2.5 uses as that seems about right to me.

Thoughts?
    I would be very surprised if it is built like a 2.5 Minion. I don't like the way 2.6s corner and I have had bad luck with pinch flats but I am curious to hear you thoughts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I would be very surprised if it is built like a 2.5 Minion. I don't like the way 2.6s corner and I have had bad luck with pinch flats but I am curious to hear you thoughts.
    Yah, in the past I have not liked the balloon tires much either. They seem to stay on top whereas the more narrow tires seem to cut through.

However the 2.6 Dissector is measuring around 2.55" and the weight is 40 g less than the DHF 2.5 so I'm hoping it's a similar tire just rolls a bit better.

It was also available NOW and cheap and I do run a 33mm ID front wheel. I ALWAYS run inserts front and rear, it's not optional for me on a trail tire.

Lastly, I'm just back on the bike after puncturing a lung and frankly riding like shit. My reviews shouldn't be trusted at this time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Lastly, I'm just back on the bike after puncturing a lung and frankly riding like shit. My reviews shouldn't be trusted at this time.
    Don't know about that - its just something to factor in when you share your experience. Good luck getting back on a regular riding routine again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I really want to try a set of these in a 27.5 2.6 and 2.4 the not so rocky North Texas trails I think these would be awesome. Especially in the dry conditions.

jrm
    mtbr member

Dissector Vs. Xr 4

Anyone have experience with the xr 4 up front.

https://trek.scene7.com/is/image/TrekBicycleProducts/BontragerXR4TeamIssueTLR_13585_F_Alt1?$responsive-pjpg$&wid=1920&hei=1440

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Anyone have experience with the xr 4 up front.

https://trek.scene7.com/is/image/TrekBicycleProducts/BontragerXR4TeamIssueTLR_13585_F_Alt1?$responsive-pjpg$&wid=1920&hei=1440
    Cannot compare it with a dissector, but I have experience with the SE4 front/back, (same tire, tougher casing).
    Rolls really well, good grip for mixed conditions. But when it get wet and muddy you will find the limit of this tire pretty quick.

I will be keeping this set for summertime and will be running WTB convict/vigilante or dual Kenda hellkat during fall/autumn, not sure yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just mounted up the 29 x 2.6 Dissector on a front 33mm ID wheel with an insert.

The tire weighs 1001g, which is good for such a sizable tire.

Measured flattened out this 2.6 is identical in width to a well used DHF 2.5 I have on the shelf. Aired up it measures 2.51" wide at the tread, widest portion. Which is slightly more narrow than the 2.3 MSC Gripper I removed (great tire btw, available on blow out for like $32 online).

I've yet to find my ideal compromise in a front tire, mad traction yet still rolls well is my goal. But it's fun testing them.

Was given the opportunity to test another tire by a manufacturer, and it was actually about my favorite aggressive trail tire I've ever ridden. However I did suggest a change that they are integrating into the next batch. They didn't do it on my account, however my input corresponded with their other testers it turned out, and I'm waiting on another test tire to come out of the proto phrase for me to offer feedback on. I can't share what it was, but it rolled quite fast (as well or better than anything in the category), had well above average traction (when new, very similar to a DHF 2.5) and was 2.48" width. It was a proto and weighed 1000g, but proto tires weigh about 70g extra due to the by hand process by which they are created.

Got rocks?
    Just mounted up the 29 x 2.6 Dissector on a front 33mm ID wheel with an insert.

The tire weighs 1001g, which is good for such a sizable tire.

Measured flattened out this 2.6 is identical in width to a well used DHF 2.5 I have on the shelf. Aired up it measures 2.51" wide at the tread, widest portion. Which is slightly more narrow than the 2.3 MSC Gripper I removed (great tire btw, available on blow out for like $32 online).

I've yet to find my ideal compromise in a front tire, mad traction yet still rolls well is my goal. But it's fun testing them.

Was given the opportunity to test another tire by a manufacturer, and it was actually about my favorite aggressive trail tire I've ever ridden. However I did suggest a change that they are integrating into the next batch. They didn't do it on my account, however my input corresponded with their other testers it turned out, and I'm waiting on another test tire to come out of the proto phrase for me to offer feedback on. I can't share what it was, but it rolled quite fast, had well above average traction, and was 2.5 width.

Update us when you can on that tire!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Dissector 2.6 definitely rolls fast on the road test. After a night at 35psi, now dropped to 20psi it measures 2.55".
    My theory on why Maxxis won't give us MaxxGrip compound on the side knobs on a non DH tire is that they know it would just fold without an insert on a trail casing with that much side traction.
    Real ride this afternoon. However, I'm just getting back in the saddle so I don't expect much out of myself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Anyone know where I can get a 29x2.4 in dual compound?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Did first 13 miles on a new 29 x 2.6 Dissector wiith an insert as a front tire today.

It's not for me, a lack of max traction primarily but also I've ridden other tires on this bike at the same weight/ width that have less flotation and bounce in general. It doesn't dig in and bite for me.

It's a solid trail tire with good volume, a reasonable weight, and low RR, but nothing like a hard trail/ Enduro tire needs to be.

If anyone wants it for $35 shipped in the USA, let me know.

One month to wait until I get another proto tire to test with changes, that's the best front tire I've ran. In the mean time I'm just going to run with an Assagai Exo+ I have on the shelf. It's the highest traction front tire I've ever used but at 1300g and with high RR, it sort of sucks the life right out of me to pedal.

For my dry rocky terrain it's really hard to beat the DHF 2.5 or the MSC Gripper. 2 faves for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    hows the braking compared to the dhr2?
    2020 yeti sb165 t2

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Nothing brakes like a DHRII.

For my terrain, I really don't need much braking so it's a low priority for me, all tires have been fine in that regard for me.

Rocks belong
    If anyone wants it for $35 shipped in the USA, let me know.
    I'm your huckleberry. PM inbound.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm your huckleberry. PM inbound.
    Already gone.

Sorry about that.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToYZiLLa View Post
    Anyone know where I can get a 29x2.4 in dual compound?
    Bueller?
    Anybody got dual compounds in stock yet?

mtbr member
    I had been waiting to get my hands on a dissector to replace the aggressor that I run as my trail bike rear tire. I ride in socal (loose over hard, loose, dusty, blown out conditions). I split 4 wheelsets between a giant trance 29 and a megatower. The intent, was that I'd pair a 2.4 Dissector with a 2.5 DHF as my trail bike wheelset, with an XR4/XR3 in 2.4 for XC duty, and 2.5 Assguy F/R with cushcore for park days and one more wheelset setup for experiments like 2.6 tires etc. I digress...

So I've got 2 rides in on the dissector, both on the back of my megatower. Overall, it does exactly what I was looking for. Rolling resistance of an aggressor with the similar side knob bite as a dhr2. I'd say it falls a bit short on overall grip to a DHR2 (notably braking) but definitely rolls faster. Overall, it's a great combo of the aggressor/dhr2. I feel like they should have just called it the highroller 3.

Now that bad... within just 1 ride I had managed to under cut all of the center knobs on the tire. As I mentioned, I ride this setup on my megatower and I like to drift that bike quite a bit. That being said, This tire won't last more than 5 rides (~100-130 miles) and will likely lose all of it's center knobs some where within those 5 rides. For now, If I'm after something like the dissector, I will be cutting the center knobs of a DC DHR2 down instead. This is something that I have done in the past, and overall, I think it actually ends up a better tire than the dissector.

YMMV (hopefully, cause mine sucks pretty hard). Again, this is in 1 ride, 2,500' of climbing and 18 miles.
    Maxxis Dissector-mvimg_20200307_183426-large-.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    I had been waiting to get my hands on a dissector to replace the aggressor that I run as my trail bike rear tire. I ride in socal (loose over hard, loose, dusty, blown out conditions). I split 4 wheelsets between a giant trance 29 and a megatower. The intent, was that I'd pair a 2.4 Dissector with a 2.5 DHF as my trail bike wheelset, with an XR4/XR3 in 2.4 for XC duty, and 2.5 Assguy F/R with cushcore for park days and one more wheelset setup for experiments like 2.6 tires etc. I digress...

So I've got 2 rides in on the dissector, both on the back of my megatower. Overall, it does exactly what I was looking for. Rolling resistance of an aggressor with the similar side knob bite as a dhr2. I'd say it falls a bit short on overall grip to a DHR2 (notably braking) but definitely rolls faster. Overall, it's a great combo of the aggressor/dhr2. I feel like they should have just called it the highroller 3.

Now that bad... within just 1 ride I had managed to under cut all of the center knobs on the tire. As I mentioned, I ride this setup on my megatower and I like to drift that bike quite a bit. That being said, This tire won't last more than 5 rides (~100-130 miles) and will likely lose all of it's center knobs some where within those 5 rides. For now, If I'm after something like the dissector, I will be cutting the center knobs of a DC DHR2 down instead. This is something that I have done in the past, and overall, I think it actually ends up a better tire than the dissector.

YMMV (hopefully, cause mine sucks pretty hard). Again, this is in 1 ride, 2,500' of climbing and 18 miles.

Name:	MVIMG_20200307_183426 (Large).jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	1316385
    Good input. I wonder if the the center knobs would hold up better on the dual compound or is the center tread the same rubber? If it performs similar to an aggressor with stouter side lugs that's a win for me. Not unlike your center lugs aggressor side lugs undercut really fast for me and a tad more volume would be nice.

One thing I really like about the aggressor is how predictable it is in off camber stuff, especially off camber back to flat trail there's no surfing around, mixed soil conditions, all while rolling well. The dissector performs similarly in the off camber scenario?

mtbr member
    Good input. I wonder if the the center knobs would hold up better on the dual compound or is the center tread the same rubber? If it performs similar to an aggressor with stouter side lugs that's a win for me. Not unlike your center lugs aggressor side lugs undercut really fast for me and a tad more volume would be nice.

One thing I really like about the aggressor is how predictable it is in off camber stuff, especially off camber back to flat trail there's no surfing around, mixed soil conditions, all while rolling well. The dissector performs similarly in the off camber scenario?

I too undercut the side knobs of the aggressor pretty quickly. It seems those usually last around 300ish miles for me before the side knobs start giving out. The aggressor still grips reasonably well as it's being under cut however.

I do think that I will try out a DC version of the dissector if I can get my hands on one. Regarding your question on the off camber scenario, I do think that the dissector is better than the aggressor in this regard. It definitely has better side knob bite in all scenarios, so if you're committing to bike/body separation this is going to be an upgrade over the aggressor. I do particularly like how the aggressor drifts and breaks loose consistently and progressively in a wide range of conditions, this tire seems to do the same.

mtbr member

Wow. I am assuming you rode quite a bit of steep DH that you were on the brakes pretty hard in that 18 miles?

I have probably 120 or so miles on my Dissector and the side knobs are starting to show some wear but the center knobs are doing well. I haven't ridden anything overly steep with it yet though that requires heavy braking.

mtbr member
    Wow. I am assuming you rode quite a bit of steep DH that you were on the brakes pretty hard in that 18 miles?

I have probably 120 or so miles on my Dissector and the side knobs are starting to show some wear but the center knobs are doing well. I haven't ridden anything overly steep with it yet though that requires heavy braking.
    That is true. This was in laguna. 2 of the 4 descents we did were -20% grades in .7 and .8 miles. Even still, I have had 3c dhr2's hold up way, way better than this thing does, as does an aggressor and hell, an ikon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    That is true. This was in laguna. 2 of the 4 descents we did were -20% grades in .7 and .8 miles. Even still, I have had 3c dhr2's hold up way, way better than this thing does, as does an aggressor and hell, an ikon.
    I ride Sedona and The Dells in Prescott fairly regularly so lots of heavy braking on steep rock so mine will most likely see the same fate as yours here shortly. That is unfortunate as I was really liking it so far.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you don't want to wait for the dual compounds to roll out, buy a Butcher. Basically same tire. They use a slightly harder rubber than Maxxterra.

They're both dope AF btws

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Anyone running a combo of 2.4 Dissector front / 2.3 Aggressor back? Iíd like to keep aggressor in the back, but I agree with most people that my 2.5 DHF on the front is overkill for what I do. Iím in Austin, Texas and mostly dry and rocky trail riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by msc219 View Post
    Anyone running a combo of 2.4 Dissector front / 2.3 Aggressor back? Iíd like to keep aggressor in the back, but I agree with most people that my 2.5 DHF on the front is overkill for what I do. Iím in Austin, Texas and mostly dry and rocky trail riding.

Been running a 2.4WT Dissector up front lately in really good Central-Coast Ca. conditions. Now that things are drying up as of late i'm sensing the tires limitations and will be moving it to the Rear and going back to a DHF. I will say that the Dissector has been really predictable though.....

Luckily we don't have really rocky terrain like the SoCal guy's so I think the Dissector will hold up pretty nicely.

-I would think that "if" you don't have anything real steep there in Austin you should be fine using the Dissector as a Front.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    Been running a 2.4WT Dissector up front lately in really good Central-Coast Ca. conditions. Now that things are drying up as of late i'm sensing the tires limitations

Oh I thought the Dissector was best suited for dry?

I can't find a standard Dissector 2.4 EXO/TR anywhere online or through retailers. All they have is the WT and ideally I would get the non-WT variety because I have 25mm rims.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I believe Maxxis states that but as a Rear tire....
    There really is a pretty decent gap in Intermediate knobs leading to that vague-feeling as a Front. In wet/tacky conditions it's a non-issue.

-Take a look at bike-discount.de That's where I bought mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Oh I thought the Dissector was best suited for dry?

I can't find a standard Dissector 2.4 EXO/TR anywhere online or through retailers. All they have is the WT and ideally I would get the non-WT variety because I have 25mm rims.
    You won't find a "standard" 2.4. IIRC, all Maxxis tires in 2.4 now are "WT", regardless of if it says so on the packaging. Not POSITIVE on that, but all the recent Maxxis releases, Dissector, Rekon, etc are all "WT" if they're 2.4 or bigger.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    You won't find a "standard" 2.4. IIRC, all Maxxis tires in 2.4 now are "WT", regardless of if it says so on the packaging. Not POSITIVE on that, but all the recent Maxxis releases, Dissector, Rekon, etc are all "WT" if they're 2.4 or bigger.
    Yeah that seems to be the case although not sure why they list them as individaul parts on their site.

Maxxis Dissector-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Austinite here.
    The Dissector is flat inadequate as a front tire in our terrain, particularly when paired with an Aggressor rear which is pretty darn good. The bike will understeer like mad.
    If you are an easy going rider that chooses the more XC trails and therefore are focused on lower RR, the Dissector will work acceptably as a front combined with a fast rolling XC rear tire.
    Although I've found several rear tires that I'm very pleased with, the search for an exceptional front is elusive (except for a proto I was sent that I can not yet disclose). However the DHF is definitely up there as a top 5 in conjunction with an Aggressor rear (assumes that you need/ want that level of traction in the rear) as a proper match.
    In short, I think the Dissector is pretty piss poor as an aggressive front and ultimately think that Maxxis is correct in recommending it as a rear tire only. The Dissector should be great as a fast rolling yet aggressive rear tire for those that ride loose soil.
    Want an aggressive, works perfectly in our terrain, yet decent rolling tire, happens to be on blow out everywhere currently, that also matchs your current user name? The MSC Gripper 2.3 (measures actual 2.5) is sick around here. I love that tire. If I had to pick a currently available front tire to run forever right now, that would be it. And I've tried nearly everything.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    MSC? Never heard of em' but they're DAMN PROUD of their tires!!!
    $94 to $134 per tire!!??

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Want an aggressive, works perfectly in our terrain, yet decent rolling tire, happens to be on blow out everywhere currently, that also matchs your current user name? The MSC Gripper 2.3 (measures actual 2.5) is sick around here. I love that tire. If I had to pick a currently available front tire to run forever right now, that would be it. And I've tried nearly everything.
    Haha, what are the odds..I'll check it out. I may try out DHR II as a front in 2.4WT or even 2.3. I mainly ride Brushy - 1/4 notch, DD, Rim and then when I want to do more XC - picnic, and peddler's pass so it's nice to have trail mixed with XC in a given ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Austinite here.
    The Dissector is flat inadequate as a front tire in our terrain, particularly when paired with an Aggressor rear which is pretty darn good. The bike will understeer like mad.
    If you are an easy going rider that chooses the more XC trails and therefore are focused on lower RR, the Dissector will work acceptably as a front combined with a fast rolling XC rear tire.
    Although I've found several rear tires that I'm very pleased with, the search for an exceptional front is elusive (except for a proto I was sent that I can not yet disclose). However the DHF is definitely up there as a top 5 in conjunction with an Aggressor rear (assumes that you need/ want that level of traction in the rear) as a proper match.
    In short, I think the Dissector is pretty piss poor as an aggressive front and ultimately think that Maxxis is correct in recommending it as a rear tire only. The Dissector should be great as a fast rolling yet aggressive rear tire for those that ride loose soil.
    Good luck.

Where did they recommend it as a rear tire ONLY?
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    I have the 2.5 DHF/2.4 Dissector 27.5 combo on my Ibis HD5 and just did (4) rides in Tucson last weekend. 25 miles of XC, 10 miles of chunk, 14 miles of super chunk & steep on Mt Lemmon and then 6 miles on the road back to our cars. I have no tread wear issues and once I dropped the PSI from 28 down to 25, I loved these tires. Rolled great and I had no braking issues. I'm already looking to order one for my 29er when I see them in stock.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    DHR2 is a solid front tire but doesn't roll or lean as well as the DHF. It's big claim to fame is amazing braking traction, something not needed for Austin riding.
    The Dissector is referred to as a rear tire on Maxxis website and was sent to testers as such.
    Although the Dissector looks like it would be a solid aggressive front tire, it doesn't have the traction for that in real life. Not even close really. I can name 5 tires that are better at this off the top of my head.
    A really sweet soft terrain set up would be a Magic Mary front with a Dissector rear. That would roll and work very well if one rides in that terrain. If I rode Pacific NW for instance that would likely be my set up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    The Dissector is referred to as a rear tire on Maxxis website
    That is a completely incorrect statement.
    Maxxis Dissector-maxxis.png

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Why are the dual compound tires coming in heavier than 3C? On Maxxis' website

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by laserjockrock View Post

Aside: My first move speeding up the bike but keeping it Ďsafeí, was to speed up the rear. Aggressor offered killer traction on every climb, but wasnít the fastest - really felt the drag on the flats for long epics. Maybe went a little extreme, I put on a Minion SSÖ WOW, such a fun, fast summer tire! OK, so the braking is total shit, but keeping the pressure low, it handles most climbs without breaking traction if Iím careful. Most. But itís more solid than a Rock Razor, corners *SO* good, and wow itís fast. Such an interesting mix for a DHF up front - and hardly anyone is talking about the SS anymore. Iím a fan.
    What internal width rims were you running the Minion SS on?
    Everything Iíve read says a Minion SS would NOT work on a 30mm internal width rim, but that a Specialized Slaughter WOULD work. I mounted both up on Enve M630 rims and to me theyíre profile looked VERY similar, with the Minion SSís being a tad flatter

Quote Originally Posted by afraid View Post
    Why are the dual compound tires coming in heavier than 3C? On Maxxis' website
    If you look at my post above (#126) youíll see that a 27.5x2.4 3C Dissector weighed in at 844g, well over the advertised 787g. So, the 848g that Maxxis has listed on their website for the DC version is much kore accurate.

mtbr member
    Holy crap! Went from the Dissector F/Rekon R (2.4 variants on 30.5mm is) to a Dissector F/Dissector R to step up traction a bit for an upcoming race. Went for my first 15 mile ride on hard pack, loose over hard pack, leave cover and pine straw and wow....way of a bigger difference than I expected. Honestly I didnít realize how much that rekon was holding me back in turns as I began to push yesterday. This tire even in 3C rolls really well back there but the traction on edge was soooo much better. Loved hearing the sound of those bigger side knobs make some noise back there. Sooooooo yeah, this thing is an absolute solid Trail tire front and rear in my opinion. Love it.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Holy crap! Went from the Dissector F/Rekon R (2.4 variants on 30.5mm is) to a Dissector F/Dissector R to step up traction a bit for an upcoming race. Went for my first 15 mile ride on hard pack, loose over hard pack, leave cover and pine straw and wow....way of a bigger difference than I expected. Honestly I didnít realize how much that rekon was holding me back in turns as I began to push yesterday. This tire even in 3C rolls really well back there but the traction on edge was soooo much better. Loved hearing the sound of those bigger side knobs make some noise back there. Sooooooo yeah, this thing is an absolute solid Trail tire front and rear in my opinion. Love it.
    Did you find an increase in rolling resistance compared to the Rekon ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    What internal width rims were you running the Minion SS on?
    Everything Iíve read says a Minion SS would NOT work on a 30mm internal width rim, but that a Specialized Slaughter WOULD work. I mounted both up on Enve M630 rims and to me theyíre profile looked VERY similar, with the Minion SSís being a tad flatter.
    Iíve got the 2.3 Minion SS on Ibis941ís (30mmID, I believe?), and it works totally fine. Generally keep ~20PSI. I believe they also sell a 2.5 as well but itís only DD casing (crazy!)... Iím sure there are those who donít care about stopping that have a BLAST on that thing for Enduro.

Iíll prob move the SS to an old pair of Ibis 928ís for my Ďlightí wheel set, and then use the 2.4 Dissector for the rear on my Ďmediumí wheel set.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Cool, @Chuch! Have you thought about trying 2.6 Dissector front w/ 2.4 Dissector rear? I think thatíd be a slightly better combo.

@Suns thought the 2.6 was Ďbouncyí - but heís pretty picky! I know that you do low PSI like me, so maybe youíd find not the case? If you ever try, let us know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laserjockrock View Post
    Cool, @Chuch! Have you thought about trying 2.6 Dissector front w/ 2.4 Dissector rear? I think thatíd be a slightly better combo.

@Suns thought the 2.6 was Ďbouncyí - but heís pretty picky! I know that you do low PSI like me, so maybe youíd find not the case? If you ever try, let us know!
    Not gonna lie, I am pretty stuck on 2.4's at the moment. I've ridden bigger tires and usually end up regretting it somehow, but this tire specifically could be different. I'm a bit of a weight nerd, and this OG Dissector up front was one of the first when they were actually weighing in at 860g. A 2.6 would probably be overkill for me. Good call though...the next time I buy, it could be tempting. LOL
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridetheridge View Post
    Did you find an increase in rolling resistance compared to the Rekon ?
    Minimal is the best way I can describe it. Couple of things. The Rekon 2.4 was DC, and was down to about 60pct tread and was orginally about 830g I believe, so it was rolling pretty fast I'd say. The new Dissector was brand new, 915g and 3C. Given all of that, the straight line rolling resistance was minimal at best. Honestly I feel like I could feel the weight more than the rolling resistance if anyone would believe me. The only time I could "feel" anything drastically different was in hard cornering where you could feel the side knobs biting in for traction. On one hand you could say that was more resistance, but I began cornering with greater confidence overall, so I considered it a win.

Put it this way, I really don't see myself finding a reason to go back to the Rekon after what just happened. Especially if they release the DC version and its just as solid/maybe better.
    Santa Cruz HT2

Perpetual Hack
    Minimal is the best way I can describe it. Couple of things. The Rekon 2.4 was DC, and was down to about 60pct tread and was orginally about 830g I believe, so it was rolling pretty fast I'd say. The new Dissector was brand new, 915g and 3C. Given all of that, the straight line rolling resistance was minimal at best. Honestly I feel like I could feel the weight more than the rolling resistance if anyone would believe me. The only time I could "feel" anything drastically different was in hard cornering where you could feel the side knobs biting in for traction. On one hand you could say that was more resistance, but I began cornering with greater confidence overall, so I considered it a win.

Put it this way, I really don't see myself finding a reason to go back to the Rekon after what just happened. Especially if they release the DC version and its just as solid/maybe better.
    I would tend to agree.
    I went from a DC Rekon 2.4 to a 2.4 3C Dissector and did not find a huge difference in rolling on hardpack forest trails. They do cut through pine / leaf litter much better and there is no comparison in the cornering ability.

The Rekon IS faster in a straight line, but the Dissector brakes better and hangs on much better in the corners.
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Haha, what are the odds..I'll check it out. I may try out DHR II as a front in 2.4WT or even 2.3. I mainly ride Brushy - 1/4 notch, DD, Rim and then when I want to do more XC - picnic, and peddler's pass so it's nice to have trail mixed with XC in a given ride.
    If you ride Brushy, Minions are overkill. Run faster tires. Forekaster/Ikon. Maybe Mary/Razor.

mtbr member
    Has anyone actually gotten their hands on a DC version?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Has anyone actually gotten their hands on a DC version?
    Not yet, Iím on the hunt for one myself

Got rocks?
    Has anyone compared them the the Hans Dampf2? Particularly in the 2.6 size?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Not yet, Iím on the hunt for one myself

Same here!

mtbr member
    Anyone know if the Dissector is coming out in a 29 dual compound in the Exo+ casing, TR/WT?

BTI lists this combo, but when I go look up the vendor part # on Maxxis's site, it says this model is just the normal Exo casing, NOT the Exo+.

UPDATE: got this reply from Maxxis:

Apologies for the confusion. The part number TB00259800 does refer to the Dissector 29x2.40WT 3CT/EXO+/TR tire. This is not a dual compound tire but a 3C tire with MaxxTerra. The information we received initially was wrong and it has not been corrected on the website (which I will initiate now). There are no dual compound EXO+ or DD versions of the Dissector or Minions DHRII only MaxxTerra & MaxxGrip.

Bummer. I really need a DHR2 or Dissector in dual compound in Exo+ or Double Down for summer. Not a huge fan of the Aggressor.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I ordered 27.5 2.6 & 2.4 (3c/exo/tr), they arrived recently. My actual weights came in:
    27.5 x 2.4: 816g
    27.5 x 2.6: 994g

They don't look much difference in size on the table, but we'll see how they look aired up. The weight penalty for going up 0.2" looks to be rather large.

I won't be able to give any other feedback on them for a few weeks. I'll be putting them on my DH bike with a light set of wheels as my 'climb and descend' set. The rims won't arrive until early April. It'll take me a few days to lace them up.

The bike's current set-up is a 2.6 Martello front & 2.6 Slaughter rear with cushcores on heavy wheels. My hope is that I'll lose about 2lbs and this combination will climb a bit better (less rotational mass and more forward bite on the more slippery stuff).

My 'old' DH bike with a 'climb' spec set of wheels was 26x2.5 f/r DHF 3C/exo/tr. I liked the grip/weight but I thought the rolling resistance left a bit to be desired. I'll be curious to see how the dissectors compare to both of these combinations.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    UPDATE: got this reply from Maxxis:

Apologies for the confusion. The part number TB00259800 does refer to the Dissector 29x2.40WT 3CT/EXO+/TR tire. This is not a dual compound tire but a 3C tire with MaxxTerra. The information we received initially was wrong and it has not been corrected on the website (which I will initiate now). There are no dual compound EXO+ or DD versions of the Dissector or Minions DHRII only MaxxTerra & MaxxGrip.
    This is music to my ears!!! Cannot wait for this tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O. View Post
    I ordered 27.5 2.6 & 2.4 (3c/exo/tr), they arrived recently. My actual weights came in:
    27.5 x 2.4: 816g
    27.5 x 2.6: 994g

They don't look much difference in size on the table, but we'll see how they look aired up. The weight penalty for going up 0.2" looks to be rather large.

I won't be able to give any other feedback on them for a few weeks. I'll be putting them on my DH bike with a light set of wheels as my 'climb and descend' set. The rims won't arrive until early April. It'll take me a few days to lace them up.

The bike's current set-up is a 2.6 Martello front & 2.6 Slaughter rear with cushcores on heavy wheels. My hope is that I'll lose about 2lbs and this combination will climb a bit better (less rotational mass and more forward bite on the more slippery stuff).

My 'old' DH bike with a 'climb' spec set of wheels was 26x2.5 f/r DHF 3C/exo/tr. I liked the grip/weight but I thought the rolling resistance left a bit to be desired. I'll be curious to see how the dissectors compare to both of these combinations.
    Your current tires, on your new lightweight rims, no Cushcore would be a far superior set up to the Dissector set up imo.

I can say with certainty in 29 x 2.6 as a front size, that the Martello is much better in all regards than the Dissector as I ran both just 2 weeks apart.

The Martello is an undiscovered secret. Not sure why they are not more popular. It also has reinforced sidewalls that really won't benefit much from an insert when used as a front traill tire which makes the 1100 grams much more bearable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Your current tires, on your new lightweight rims, no Cushcore would be a far superior set up to the Dissector set up imo.

I can say with certainty in 29 x 2.6 as a front size, that the Martello is much better in all regards than the Dissector as I ran both just 2 weeks apart.

The Martello is an undiscovered secret. Not sure why they are not more popular. It also has reinforced sidewalls that really won't benefit much from an insert when used as a front traill tire which makes the 1100 grams much more bearable.

The Martello is wonderful. I was worried it would roll too slow for my liking given the knob size, but I haven't noticed it! I haven't pulled the CC nor weighed the tire since it's set up ghetto tubeless at the moment. Maybe I will do that this evening for fun.

Given the 2.6 dissector came in at just under 1kg I suspect I will end up opting for another Martello or DHF up front for the 50-100g penalty. I have weighed 5 maxxis tires this year - every one was 50-100g over weight. Very disappointing. I haven't seen this with other manufacturers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Things have changed a bit since my last post.

I ended up getting a Martello in the trail casing for the front of Jedi - I loved how the G+ version of the tire performed and thought I would give the lighter version a try for my climbing wheelset. I had planned to put the 2.6 dissector on the rear of the Jedi and put the 2.4 on the back of my HD4. Bad news, the 2.6 didn't fit the rear of the Jedi - so it got the 2.4 (for now).

I put the 2.6 on the back of the HD4. The HD4 has a 2.5 Vigilante up front. I rode the bike today and I'm not really feeling this combination. I think I want to put the 2.6 dissector up front.

So - time to chose another rear tire. I think I'll get an aggressor for the Jedi and run 2.6/2.4 dissector on the HD4.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast