Maxxis Dissector - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have only used the Dissector as a rear and in dry, dusty and rocky trail conditions. My 29er tyre was light, I think 830gms from memory. I found the Dissector rolls significantly faster than a 2.4 DHRII 3C and close to the same as a 2.3DHRII dual compound.

Grip wise I found the Dissector is a step down from the 2.4 and 2.3 DHRII tyres in all aspects. It just doesn't hang on like the DHR in the corners. There's not much in it but they do get into drift easier when you really lean on the pedals and drive it thru. Braking the DHR kills it.

All tyres running 26psi with cushcore FYI.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    anybody finding maxxterra 29 2.4 for sale anywhere?
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6008-3...RA-EXO-TR-WT-T

Just got 2 there a few weeks ago. Shipping to US was pretty cheap and ~4 days I think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've got a new one I'd ship anywhere in the USA for $85, includes shipping.
    I spent more than that on it and loosing shipping on top but just going a different direction.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I am considering to try Dissector on my 27.5 AM bike. Currently running Magic Mary 2.35 and Aggressor 2.5 EXO 60 2c.
    So Cal dry, dusty, loose over HP.
    Anyone can comment how the Dissector compares to Magic Mary in the front and Aggressor in the back?
    I also have an Assegai 3c 60 EXO waiting to be mounted to the front, but am a bit hesitant due to its weight /1040g/ I believe Mary was around 850g

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I am considering to try Dissector on my 27.5 AM bike. Currently running Magic Mary 2.35 and Aggressor 2.5 EXO 60 2c.
    So Cal dry, dusty, loose over HP.
    Anyone can comment how the Dissector compares to Magic Mary in the front and Aggressor in the back?
    I also have an Assegai 3c 60 EXO waiting to be mounted to the front, but am a bit hesitant due to its weight /1040g/ I believe Mary was around 850g
    I tried the Dissector on the front paired with an Aggressor and felt a bit of pushing on my AM bike.Ended up putting on an Assegai and don't really feel the weight.

The Dissector found a home on the front of my XC bike for the winter paired with a Forekaster.

I'm in NorCal with the usual blown-out conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I spent a year w/ the MM on the front (HD on the back). MM is light and has great rolling resistance for what it is. Its giant lugs are designed more for loamy&muddy terrain - and it often is reported to do better in wetter/muddier conditions.

Out in the dry conditions of CO Front Range, I found it not to grip as well. Versus the DHF, bigger lugs would squirm under cornering load, and tire would (moreso) slide on loose-over-hard. DHF won - but with the sacrifice of weight and rolling resistance. :/

Dissector keeps some of the DHF composure up front - I'm guessing from tougher blocks that squirm less? I found it more 'capable' on dustry/dry/rocky. However, I admit that I really, really like the Addix Soft compound... felt like *glue* - BUT, just for a bit. After a couple months, didn't feel as 'sticky', which I guess could be part of simply wearing out quickly.

B/c I switched from MM back to DHF, It's been a while since I've been on the MM. But, I'd guess the Dissector rolls faster. Definitely feels better hold on the corners in the dry. I like the 'transition' to corner lugs... mostly b/c it doesn't actually feel like a transition!

IN general, no, the Dissector is not a DHF/Assegai... def lighter duty category. But, IMHO it is better suited for dry/rocky than the MM. (I had to go down to 18PSI to like the tire up front, and my sweet spot w/ MM was ~20ish.) 2.4" is fine for 'Aggressive Trail'. I'm guessing that the 2.6" will prob be a better choice for me up front so I can push more in the gnar to really call it 'all mountain'. Looking forward to when they properly launch the line in 2020...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Good info. I agree with everything you said regarding MM Addix vs. DHF 2.5 as a front.

Sounds like the Dissector is a really ideal fast rolling lightweight front trail tire, even aggressive trails. My fellow tire nerds were sort of indicating this which is why I sold mine off before riding it. Sounds killer just not exactly what I'm looking for in a front at this junction. Would also make a killer rear tire for loam or loose conditions in the rear in an Exo casing.

But it's not a DHF, Assagai, etc...

Anyone tried the Hans Dampf 2 as an aggressive front tire?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Good info. I agree with everything you said regarding MM Addix vs. DHF 2.5 as a front.

Sounds like the Dissector is a really ideal fast rolling lightweight front trail tire, even aggressive trails. My fellow tire nerds were sort of indicating this which is why I sold mine off before riding it. Sounds killer just not exactly what I'm looking for in a front at this junction. Would also make a killer rear tire for loam or loose conditions in the rear in an Exo casing. But it's not a DHF, Assagai, etc...

Anyone tried the Hans Dampf 2 as an aggressive front tire?
    My Ripmo came w/ the Addix HansDampf 2 up front... was *all* over the place. Then swapped the NN rear for HD rear. Better but not enough. Then upgraded the HD up front for the MM w/ HD rear. Best, but still not enough for me.

For rocky/dry/hardpack/kittylitter (for me) the Dissector was an improvement in everything except rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    FYI, WorldWideCyclery has the 29er EXO version in stock again. Ordered one to try as a rear (instead of DHR) with Assegai front.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12