mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Maxxis DHF, Aggressor, Rekon Combinations

I知 trying to choose a tire combination for aggressive trail riding on the Front Range. We have a good mix of hard pack, loose over hard, loose, and rocks. I知 no expert, but I知 a solid intermediate/advanced rider and enjoy pushing it and leaning over in the turns whether on the flats or the downhills. These tires are going on a Santa Cruz 5010 (130mm travel) rolling on 27 mm inner width rims. I知 thinking 2.5 up front and 2.3 in the rear, unless you think I could go fatter on 27 mm rims.

I知 considering the gold standard DHF/Aggressor combo, but I知 concerned it might be overkill. In that case, I知 looking at an Aggressor F/Rekon R combo. What do you think?

It would be super helpful to hear some input on these combos, especially from people that ride similar conditions. I致e already narrowed it down to these tires, so I壇 like to limit the discussion to them unless you think I知 off base. Thanks in advance!

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by cm_mtb View Post
    I知 trying to choose a tire combination for aggressive trail riding on the Front Range. We have a good mix of hard pack, loose over hard, loose, and rocks. I知 no expert, but I知 a solid intermediate/advanced rider and enjoy pushing it and leaning over in the turns whether on the flats or the downhills. These tires are going on a Santa Cruz 5010 (130mm travel) rolling on 27 mm inner width rims. I知 thinking 2.5 up front and 2.3 in the rear, unless you think I could go fatter on 27 mm rims.

I知 considering the gold standard DHF/Aggressor combo, but I知 concerned it might be overkill. In that case, I知 looking at an Aggressor F/Rekon R combo. What do you think?

It would be super helpful to hear some input on these combos, especially from people that ride similar conditions. I致e already narrowed it down to these tires, so I壇 like to limit the discussion to them unless you think I知 off base. Thanks in advance!
    All my wheels are 650B. YMMV.

Another front range rider here. I really like the rekon in the back. Personally I thought the aggressor is a bit drifts and didn稚 care for that in the back so I知 not sure about the front.

Right now I知 a big fan of the HR2 2.8 on the front of my hardtail with the 2.8 rekon in the back.

For my full suspension trail bike, I知 trying the DHR2 2.8 in the front with the rekon 2.6 in the back.

On the DH bike I run DHFs 2.5 DH casing front and rear. This is my only non plus bike.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Ive been on dhf rekon combo for sometime. I like it a lot. The aggressor was good but the rekon was good enough for me and provided a lighter setup

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Depends on what you value since it is all about compromise. I value traction and would recommend a 2.5 DHF with a 2.3 Aggressor for your situation. The Aggressor is a great compromise (between traction and rolling resistance) in a rear tire in my opinion. I have run the 2.3 and currently a 2.5 Aggressor as a rear on my trail 29er.

mtbr member
    I'm running 2.6 Rekon F and 2.5 Aggressor R. on i29 rims on a 120/140mm travel 29er. This is on east coast singletrack so not the same terrain, but have roots, rocks, harpack, loose over harpack). I like the Aggressor rear because the great climbing and braking traction for my terrain.

Moderator Moderator
    I like traction and dislike picking gravel out of my skin. I've yet to find anything to beat a DHF 2.5 in the front, with the 2.3 being right behind it. I run DHR 2.4 in the back, since it's the biggest thing that will fit. If I could fit a 2.5, it'd be a DHF or Agressor. That being said, I'm not worried about a few grams here or there, or rolling resistance unless it feels like I'm dragging a chain. DHF's roll better than you'd expect IME. Depends what your goals are.

Considering your skill level, keep in mind that you have to tip your bike over to make Minions work to their potential, and something like the Agressor and Rekon less so. Minions might make you hate them, or change your riding for the better, hard to say.

I'm in CS where gravel rules the land FWIW.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I run the 2.5 DHF and 2.3 agressor. It is a great combo if you can live with the weight of the tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I am currently running DHF 2.5 f and aggressor 2.5 rear on 27mm rims. Just went up from 2.3 tires. The 2.5 has noticably more traction, but I don稚 feel the rolling resistance penalty. I am in socal, so riding on loose over hard, loose rock, and hardpack.

I am riding a bronson v2 so the aggressor is tight, but I don稚 ride when it is muddy. I actually prefer the aggressor to DHR, while it drifts more I find the drift more predictable.

Rocks belong
    I'm about to mount up a 2.5 HR2/2.6 Rekon combo on my slack, steel 29 hardtail. Mainly just to be bastard and try something new (In west Denver, my go to was a DHF/Aggressor combo or DHF/WTB Breakout combo).

And, in hopes that the big ass 2.5 HR2 will find traction on this gravely crap they have on the trails right near my house in east ABQ, NM
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fdes View Post
    I am currently running DHF 2.5 f and aggressor 2.5 rear on 27mm rims. Just went up from 2.3 tires. The 2.5 has noticably more traction, but I don稚 feel the rolling resistance penalty. I am in socal, so riding on loose over hard, loose rock, and hardpack.

I am riding a bronson v2 so the aggressor is tight, but I don稚 ride when it is muddy. I actually prefer the aggressor to DHR, while it drifts more I find the drift more predictable.
    Thank you everyone for your input so far. This is the combo I知 leaning towards. I知 a little concerned about mounting 2.5 tires on 27 mm rims; I致e seen a lot of conflicting opinions on whether i27 rims are wide enough. I don稚 want to end up with too much of a rounded profile. In the rear, it sounds like a 2.5 Aggressor would be pretty tight on a V2 5010.

Fdes, what were your opinions of the 2.3 DHF/Aggressor? Do you have any pictures of that setup? For what it痴 worth, Santa Cruz specs the 2.3 DHF on 27 mm rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    I like traction and dislike picking gravel out of my skin. I've yet to find anything to beat a DHF 2.5 in the front, with the 2.3 being right behind it. I run DHR 2.4 in the back, since it's the biggest thing that will fit. If I could fit a 2.5, it'd be a DHF or Agressor. That being said, I'm not worried about a few grams here or there, or rolling resistance unless it feels like I'm dragging a chain. DHF's roll better than you'd expect IME. Depends what your goals are.

Considering your skill level, keep in mind that you have to tip your bike over to make Minions work to their potential, and something like the Agressor and Rekon less so. Minions might make you hate them, or change your riding for the better, hard to say.

I'm in CS where gravel rules the land FWIW.
    I do like the idea of a tire that really has to be leaned over to hook up. I知 going to go with a DHF up front, just need to decide on size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thank you everyone for your input so far. This is the combo I知 leaning towards. I知 a little concerned about mounting 2.5 tires on 27 mm rims; I致e seen a lot of conflicting opinions on whether i27 rims are wide enough. I don稚 want to end up with too much of a rounded profile. In the rear, it sounds like a 2.5 Aggressor would be pretty tight on a V2 5010.

Fdes, what were your opinions of the 2.3 DHF/Aggressor? Do you have any pictures of that setup? For what it痴 worth, Santa Cruz specs the 2.3 DHF on 27 mm rims.
    The 2.3 DHF/Agressor combo is great. I ran this size for about a year and a half on the 27mm rims. The profile is a little squared off, but never had any issues with it.

I picked up a 2.5 set thinking that I was going to replace my wheelset with 30 mm internal, but my wheelset has been solid. I too was worried about the 2.5 on 27mm rims, but stans flows are just 2mm wider.... I decided to try it, had nothing to lose. Found that I actually prefer the ride of the 2.5 once I found their pressure sweetspot. I will continue to run them when the trails are dry and loose. Where the tires really shine is off camber turns with the bike leaned over.

When it starts to rain and we get hero dirt I will probably go back to 2.3 as I won稚 need the extra traction but will need extra clearance.

Bodhisattva
    Fort Collins rider....

I've played around with all three in 650 size on a Santa Cruz Nomad and Evil Calling.

The 2.5 WT DHF lives on both my bikes. Always. Attempts to try other front tires usually ends in frustration.

This time of year, when most trails are blown out, I don't mind a lower profile rear and run a Rekon for speed. At times, for tackier mid summer/mixed conditions, I ditch it in favor of other tires options when I want to ride more aggressively.

Rekon rolls faster than Aggressor for sure, but at the sacrifice of cornering and braking traction. I've learned to adjust for it and enjoy the Rekon in end-season dry blown out conditions when I get tired of slogging through long stretches of sand and gravel, but I have to turn down the downhill technique.

I actually prefer the specialized slaughter to the rekon in these conditions, which has side knobs more complimentary to the DHF. Recently, I've also been experimenting with a 2.4 Bontrager SE4 in the rear, which I like as a do-it all.

The aggressor is a good tire - good at everything, great at nothing. In my opinion, the aggressor WT rolls slowly for what it is, but will handle front range conditions nearly 360 days per year

Moderator Moderator
    Thank you everyone for your input so far. This is the combo I知 leaning towards. I知 a little concerned about mounting 2.5 tires on 27 mm rims; I致e seen a lot of conflicting opinions on whether i27 rims are wide enough.
    Don't sweat it, they'll work fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fdes View Post
    The 2.3 DHF/Agressor combo is great. I ran this size for about a year and a half on the 27mm rims. The profile is a little squared off, but never had any issues with it.

I picked up a 2.5 set thinking that I was going to replace my wheelset with 30 mm internal, but my wheelset has been solid. I too was worried about the 2.5 on 27mm rims, but stans flows are just 2mm wider.... I decided to try it, had nothing to lose. Found that I actually prefer the ride of the 2.5 once I found their pressure sweetspot. I will continue to run them when the trails are dry and loose. Where the tires really shine is off camber turns with the bike leaned over.

When it starts to rain and we get hero dirt I will probably go back to 2.3 as I won稚 need the extra traction but will need extra clearance.
    Would you mind posting a pic of your 2.5 tires? We have the same width rims, and I知 guessing the Bronson rear triangle clearance is pretty similar, so we壇 be rolling a pretty similar setup. I壇 like to see the tire profile, and the clearance on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Fort Collins rider....

I've played around with all three in 650 size on a Santa Cruz Nomad and Evil Calling.

The 2.5 WT DHF lives on both my bikes. Always. Attempts to try other front tires usually ends in frustration.

This time of year, when most trails are blown out, I don't mind a lower profile rear and run a Rekon for speed. At times, for tackier mid summer/mixed conditions, I ditch it in favor of other tires options when I want to ride more aggressively.

Rekon rolls faster than Aggressor for sure, but at the sacrifice of cornering and braking traction. I've learned to adjust for it and enjoy the Rekon in end-season dry blown out conditions when I get tired of slogging through long stretches of sand and gravel, but I have to turn down the downhill technique.

I actually prefer the specialized slaughter to the rekon in these conditions, which has side knobs more complimentary to the DHF. Recently, I've also been experimenting with a 2.4 Bontrager SE4 in the rear, which I like as a do-it all.

The aggressor is a good tire - good at everything, great at nothing. In my opinion, the aggressor WT rolls slowly for what it is, but will handle front range conditions nearly 360 days per year
    I知 in Fort Collins, too! I値l keep an eye out for you on the trails. Do you find the 2.5 Aggressor pairs well with a 2.5 DHF? Is it substantially larger than the 2.3? I致e read the 2.3 runs pretty small, but maybe they both do.

Bodhisattva
    Would you mind posting a pic of your 2.5 tires? We have the same width rims, and I知 guessing the Bronson rear triangle clearance is pretty similar, so we壇 be rolling a pretty similar setup. I壇 like to see the tire profile, and the clearance on the back.

I知 in Fort Collins, too! I値l keep an eye out for you on the trails. Do you find the 2.5 Aggressor pairs well with a 2.5 DHF? Is it substantially larger than the 2.3? I致e read the 2.3 runs pretty small, but maybe they both do.
    Yes, the WT is significantly bigger than the 2.3. And, yes, the larger aggressor works well with the larger DHF. I have 31 iw rims and good rear triangle clearance, so no problems running the big rubber on either of my bikes. The 2.6 Rekon clears without any problems and measures a smidge wider than the 2.5 Aggressor. I'm off to bike nepal for a few weeks and won't have a chance to snap photos.

I'm usually on an angry dolphin Evil Calling. the Nomad is mostly relegated to back up status these days.

Rocks belong
    Interesting, as my constant search for rear tire perfection (since frickin' WTB discontinued the Breakout) has also led me to the 2.4 Bonty SE4 out back. I agree that it looks like a great rear tire (and reviews on PinkBike, et. al. suggest the same). Looking forward to riding it.

Agreed on the Aggressor. It's what the 2.4 Ardent wanted to be. Not quite the same cornering grip as a Slaughter, but a way better all-rounder rear tire than the Slaughter/Minion SS/Rock Razor's of the world.

Seems funny that E*13 just released a Slaughter type tire... right when people seem to be switching to something more like the Aggressor out back. It would be interesting to see what E*13 could release in rear optimized 2.35" to compete with an Aggressor. An E*13 Aggressor competitor would pair up nicely with the E*13 TRS up front. E*13's casings sure do sound durable/reliable and the TRS is known to be a grip monster.

Bodhisattva
    I've been pleasantly surprised by the grip of the 2.6 Slaughter as a rear tire. Side knobs are great. It gives up a bit, unsurprisingly, in forward and braking traction but a slight technique on my part did the trick. I much prefer it to the Rekon.

It's a huge tire, and while it clears, it occasionally catches a rock between frame & tire. Despite the small center knobs, the width gives it more than expected traction and I can run lower pressures than with a narrower tire.

You should try the SE4. I'm pleased. I'm travelling to Nepal with the DHF 2.5WT/SE4 2.4 combo

I will try the new e13 - my gripe with e13 is the squarish tire profile, whereas I prefer rounder. The side knobs on the TRS make it so draggy, and the new tire looks to have a similar profile

Oh, So Interesting!
    I've been running 2.5 DHF/2.5 Aggressor for a while now. They'll work fine on your 27mm rims.

At 195 lbs I found I'd tear through the 2.3 Aggressor way too fast, riding 3x/week they last a month or less. The 2.5 Aggressor has larger side knobs that don't get undercut nearly as quickly and have better overall grip. I run DD casing on the Aggressor and the 2.5 version was about 80g more than the 2.3, rolling resistance is higher but not by too much.

For a front tire I also use the AssGuy but it's slower rolling and heavier vs the MaxTerra DHF EXO by a good bit. It's an excellent tire for those days where you want a bit more tire though.

Rocks belong
    I've been pleasantly surprised by the grip of the 2.6 Slaughter as a rear tire. Side knobs are great. It gives up a bit, unsurprisingly, in forward and braking traction but a slight technique on my part did the trick. I much prefer it to the Rekon.

It's a huge tire, and while it clears, it occasionally catches a rock between frame & tire. Despite the small center knobs, the width gives it more than expected traction and I can run lower pressures than with a narrower tire.
    Interesting. I've got a new 29x2.6 Rekon that I intended to run out back on my slack, steel 29 hardtail. It's got tons of tire clearance. I wondered if the extra width from the 2.6 Slaughter would make it a more usable "all-rounder?"

You should try the SE4. I'm pleased. I'm travelling to Nepal with the DHF 2.5WT/SE4 2.4 combo
    I'm looking forward to trying it! It's mounted up on the carbon (trail) wheelset on the back of my Whyte S-150 (2.5 DHF front). Going to pair the 2.4 SE4 with a CushCore insert and see if I can get a carbon rim to survive daily trail riding (have heavier alloy wheels with DoubleDown and HuckNorris for park and more 'enduro' type days).

Just gotta wait for this frickin' scaphoid fracture to heal... 3 months waiting and no good news yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    How's the minion ss compared to the slaughter. Slaughter isnt that easy to find plus its a bit heavier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm with stupid
    Front range guy here (CS) I like the DHF 2.5 Aggressor 2.3 and 2.5 combo. My latest tire of choice is the Ass guy front and a 2.3 DD aggressor out back. the rear lets go well before the front so it is really fun combo. Once it starts to get snow covered and such I will switch to a more open tire set up. I ran a hillbilly and a shorty up front for the canyon last year and a DHR and HR2 in the rear which was a good combo. But for just all around trail riding I would not hesitate to go DHF/ Aggressor 2.3 on both ends. No need to slow down a rocketship bike like the 5010 with big fat heavy tires.

mtbr member

A lot of it comes down to preference, the Aggressor is a great rear tire but I don't like it as a front tire at all, its just not as predictable for me. Stick with the DHF for the front tire. The DHF / Rekon would be a better combo than Aggressor / Rekon.

I love low rolling resistance but predictable rear tires, my favorites are Minion SS-> Maxxis Griffin -> DHF / DHR. Most of what I choose would be dependent upon what I'm riding that day. If I know its loose or I dont know what to expect I generally run DHF / Griffin.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    How many here have tried Rekon 2.6 up front? I have a 2.6 Magic Mary up front now but am considering trying something lighter for dry trails. Wanna keep my 2.5 Agressor on rear as I like the climbing traction. Alternatively a DHF 2.6 up front but might be too similar to my MM?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lagerboy View Post
    How many here have tried Rekon 2.6 up front? I have a 2.6 Magic Mary up front now but am considering trying something lighter for dry trails. Wanna keep my 2.5 Agressor on rear as I like the climbing traction. Alternatively a DHF 2.6 up front but might be too similar to my MM?
    Read post #5

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by glader60 View Post
    Read post #5
    Yeah I did - that one talks more about the performance of the Aggressor though.