mtbr member

MAXXis confusion

Ok so maybe Iím just missing something simple here but I donít really understand the maxxis compound line. I donít like the Maxx Terra dhf/dhr I tried out. I prefer bontrager team issue se compound. My issue is I want a 2.5 front 2.4 true sized tire (fitting a 2014 slash with pike) The tread for the minions is awesome but like I said that Maxx Terra is to slick for me.

So now Iím seeing Maxx Grip and super tacky but Iím also seeing a tubeless set up will void warranty. Also post discussing possible sidewall weeping.

What are your suggestions for a 2.5/2.4 set up. Can you suggest a softer tubeless ready maxxis tire or something else. Should I just go g5 bontrager even though Iím assuming the tread height is the same as se5 or am I wrong about that also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    According to Maxxis, you want:

3C Maxx Grip
    A new name for the downhill 3C compound configuration that you have come to know and trust. 3C Maxx Grip offers the ultimate in grip and slow rebound properties for unparalleled traction in downhill applications.

Their website should show you the full matrix of options:
    https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-468-140-minion-dhf

Sounds like you'd want one of the following two, both of which are rated tubeless ready:
    27.5X2.50WT 63-584 120 FOLDABLE 1,170 3C MAXX GRIP 50 3C/TR/DD
    27.5X2.50WT 63-584 60 FOLDABLE 980 3C MAXX GR 50 3C/EXO/TR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    According to Maxxis, you want:

3C Maxx Grip
    A new name for the downhill 3C compound configuration that you have come to know and trust. 3C Maxx Grip offers the ultimate in grip and slow rebound properties for unparalleled traction in downhill applications.

Their website should show you the full matrix of options:
    https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-468-140-minion-dhf

Sounds like you'd want one of the following two, both of which are rated tubeless ready:
    27.5X2.50WT63-584120FOLDABLE1,1703C MAXX GRIP503C/TR/DD
    27.5X2.50WT63-58460FOLDABLE980 3C MAXX GR 503C/EXO/TR
    Thank you. Now do these maxxis wt measure up small like the normal ones do. I say this as my rear might only fit a 2.4 bontrager. A 2.5 bontrager maybe be to big with the 30mm inner. My thought is the maxxis 2.5 might be more of a 2.4 and maybe a 2.6 is more of a 2.5?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    Thank you. Now do these maxxis wt measure up small like the normal ones do. I say this as my rear might only fit a 2.4 bontrager. A 2.5 bontrager maybe be to big with the 30mm inner. My thought is the maxxis 2.5 might be more of a 2.4 and maybe a 2.6 is more of a 2.5?

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the WT's and my direct experience is with 29's. I've generally found any of their newer generation tires to be spot on with ETRTO sizing after a month of riding. For a DHRII 2.4WT, assuming you have >30mm ID rims it looks promising. I'd search tire threads for actual measurements.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The WT isn't any bigger, it's tread is just spaced further down to make the profile rounder. DHR2 does come in a 2.4.

mtbr member
    Maxxis actually makes the WT casing smaller B2B to compensate for the wider rim. Tread blocks are spaced wider as mentioned above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Maxxis actually makes the WT casing smaller B2B to compensate for the wider rim. Tread blocks are spaced wider as mentioned above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I understood the wt label meaning knob layout as conspired to their older wheels. I guess I just need to get some hard info on the wt dhf 2.5 and wt dhr2 2.4 Maxx Grip width wise when set on a wheel. Preferably 30mm inner. These tires Iím assuming would fit the bill compound and size wise If they are true to size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Thank you sir

mtbr member
    So it seems like I got all the info I needed. But one more question. Is the max grip really that soft?

I disliked the max terra in comparison to my se 5. I beleive Maxx Terra is 60/60 and the se tires are 61/50. Itís looking like max grip is 42 and Iím a little worried that the life expectancy absolutely wonít be there. Do you even get a season of trail/enduro riding out of a 42a compound? It seems almost to specific at 90$ a tire unless you are getting them for free or have money burning a hole in your pocket.

If 10 points on the compound scale is that noticeable climbing rocks and roots Iím sure the Maxx Grip is amazing to climb with grip wise, but it must get destroyed on the downhill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    3C maxx grip is the softest compound they make. Do you want maximun grip or tyre life? Pick one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    3C maxx grip is the softest compound they make. Do you want maximun grip or tyre life? Pick one.
    I guess it just seems to me like there should more of a happy medium not just hard, less hard and super soft. Iíll have to really think it over.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Tire life is too specific for a person/trail/expectations to give a number for. With that said, yes, they are known to have short life in exchange for maximum performance. I'll run one on the front during the first half of the year when it's wet & slick, then swap it for something else as Spring ends. I never have and likely never will spend the money to run one in the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    I guess it just seems to me like there should more of a happy medium not just hard, less hard and super soft. Iíll have to really think it over.

Maxx Terra is the "less hard" or....medium compound. If you aren't happy with Maxxis' offerings then try other brands, I like Schwalbe's new addix soft compound personally.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I have a MaxxGrip DHF on the front for 6 months now and its amazing on wet rocks and roots. I don't think I'd ever run a MaxxGrip of any sorts on the rear, too drag assy slow on pedal sections. I always run a Dual compound on the rear, either a Rekon or Forekaster.

On another set of wheels for softer loamy conditions I run Schwalbe MM on front and NN on the rear both newer Addix compound and Apex casing. That being said I'm out east in W.Pa. and have never tried a Bontrager tire.