Maxxis Assegai vs Minion DHR2 / Maxxis Dissector- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Maxxis Assegai vs Minion DHR2 / Maxxis Dissector

Hey everyone, I wanted to let you all know my experience with a few of Maxxis new tires. I have been running an Assegai MG/DD and Dissector MG/DH recently and really been loving the combo for what I would describe as Suburbanduro where I live. We climb up neighborhood streets and fireroads typically with decently steep descents, a good mix of flowy trails as well as steeper more natural trails.

I am sold on the new Dissector at the rear end of my bike, it feels similar rolling speed to something like an Aggressor but has a little better predictability and braking traction. I like how it pedals but up front running the Assegai was starting to get a bit tiring and making longer rides less exciting. I dont want to give up grip at the front end as I hate washing my front, so I figured I would just deal with it, if I run anything less than a DD casing I will flat a tire within a week.

I had a few people who are way better riders than me recommend trying a DHR2 at the front, a lot of the pros are running dual DHR2s, so I figured why not, I can always cycle it to the rear if I don't like it. I actually was pretty surprised and impressed to beat a few of my PRs on not just the flowy trails but a few of the steeper and nastier trails. While I agree that the Assegai has more all out grip, I feel that the DHR2 is a little bit more predictable and seems to corner and change directions a little quicker, it was easier to change my line on tricky sections.

I have had a few moments where the tire has slipped a little more than the Assegai but I have had a few crashes on the Assegai where it grips until you push it beyond. Maybe for my skill level the Minion gives me a bit more feedback and keeps me within my limits, either way, if I am going just as fast or even faster on the downhills, I dont see a purpose in me running a much slower rolling tire for all the climbing that's involved.

Who else has compared these tires? I know a lot of people like the Assegai more coming from a DHF because of the DHF transition zone. In my opinion you don't feel a transition zone at all with the DHR2 and its my new favorite front tire for Suburbanduro!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I used to run a DHR2 upfront before the Assegai due to less transition feel. It's a great tire but cannot hang with the Assegai on roots or slick terrain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I used to run a DHR2 upfront before the Assegai due to less transition feel. It's a great tire but cannot hang with the Assegai on roots or slick terrain.
    Thats why I made this thread, Thanks for your input. I have tested it on Slick Terrain and felt thats a good spot for the Assegai, although I found it packs up more than the DHR2. We have more rock than roots where I ride so that is good feedback for me. Im going to go back to the Assegai this week and see how it feels going back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I like how the DHF has the open channel. You can feel when you're on the side knobs. The Assegai feels vague to me (need more time on it though). I also like the DHR2 up front as a do everything well tire.

mtbr member

I too enjoy a DHR2 up front, though Iím curious why they havenít released a max grip version in DD, Exo+ or Exo..... only available in DH

Nvm I see they do for 29, but not 27.5
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ChvleSS956c View Post
    I too enjoy a DHR2 up front, though Iím curious why they havenít released a max grip version in DD, Exo+ or Exo..... only available in DH

Nvm I see they do for 29, but not 27.5
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A maxxgripp DHR2 would be great in a trail casing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    A maxxgripp DHR2 would be great in a trail casing.
    Maxxis does make a 2.4 WT EXO in Maxx Grip but 29er only.For some reason it weighs 60 grams more than the Maxx Terra version.

mtbr member
    Suburbanduro, I like that.

Assegais in EXO+ came front and rear on my Ibis Ripmo AF. So far I am liking them because they offer such predictable traction, and the EXO+ casing is sooooo good. I have ran a bunch of Maxxis combos on my old bike, all in 27.5x2.3 size but they donít compare to the Assegai in width or diameter. I do notice the weight and rolling resistance though, especially on flat terrain. Itís just hard to keep the bike up to speed without gravity assisting. Itís a trade off though: I feel like I can pedal up things that other tires just spin around on so for that reason I think my climbs are actually a little faster overall since I donít need to dismount as much.

I liked the DHRII, but I only ever ran it as a rear tire. I thought pedaling and braking traction was excellent, but I never quite loved the cornering traits of minions. I think theyíre ok at higher speeds, but at lower speeds they feel a little tippy or something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Did some back to back testing, where the Assegai really shines is on chundery and rocky terrain. I wouldnt say it corners any better than the Minion, in fact the Minion may be a touch better there. The thing that was crazy was how calm the bike felt on off camber and rocky corners/sections. If I was riding flow trails and hardpack dirt the DHR2 is a winner, for the nastier more janky stuff the Assegai is quite good. It almost feels like having more travel on the front of the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRCD47 View Post
    Hey everyone, I wanted to let you all know my experience with a few of Maxxis new tires. I have been running an Assegai MG/DD and Dissector MG/DH recently and really been loving the combo for what I would describe as Suburbanduro where I live. We climb up neighborhood streets and fireroads typically with decently steep descents, a good mix of flowy trails as well as steeper more natural trails.

I am sold on the new Dissector at the rear end of my bike, it feels similar rolling speed to something like an Aggressor but has a little better predictability and braking traction. I like how it pedals but up front running the Assegai was starting to get a bit tiring and making longer rides less exciting. I dont want to give up grip at the front end as I hate washing my front, so I figured I would just deal with it, if I run anything less than a DD casing I will flat a tire within a week.

I had a few people who are way better riders than me recommend trying a DHR2 at the front, a lot of the pros are running dual DHR2s, so I figured why not, I can always cycle it to the rear if I don't like it. I actually was pretty surprised and impressed to beat a few of my PRs on not just the flowy trails but a few of the steeper and nastier trails. While I agree that the Assegai has more all out grip, I feel that the DHR2 is a little bit more predictable and seems to corner and change directions a little quicker, it was easier to change my line on tricky sections.

I have had a few moments where the tire has slipped a little more than the Assegai but I have had a few crashes on the Assegai where it grips until you push it beyond. Maybe for my skill level the Minion gives me a bit more feedback and keeps me within my limits, either way, if I am going just as fast or even faster on the downhills, I dont see a purpose in me running a much slower rolling tire for all the climbing that's involved.

Who else has compared these tires? I know a lot of people like the Assegai more coming from a DHF because of the DHF transition zone. In my opinion you don't feel a transition zone at all with the DHR2 and its my new favorite front tire for Suburbanduro!
    Interesting...
    what rim inner width and tire size are you using?
    I think you compare assegai 2.5, DHR2 2.4 and Dissector 2.4 ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by zambo78 View Post
    Interesting...
    what rim inner width and tire size are you using?
    I think you compare assegai 2.5, DHR2 2.4 and Dissector 2.4 ?
    Im just on a 30mm rim width. Once im dialed in on the Assegai I will throw the DHR2 back on. Sometimes it takes a few times back and forth

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    If i'll go back with Maxxis, it will be Assegai/DHR2 with DD casing, but the weight and the rolling resistance will be too much for my daily all mountain bike... maybe will use this setup for park rides on DH bike.

I can see why the DHF/DHR2 (and Maxxis in general) become the standard - most of the bikes coming with this setup, people got used to them, and not looking else where... but there are lots of good tires out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    It's hard to differentiate anything in these threads unless everyone lists the widths/compounds/casings they are comparing. Not complaining just trying to add a point of clarification. Thanks to everyone that is able to contribute their experiences!

Nathan

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NateMob View Post
    It's hard to differentiate anything in these threads unless everyone lists the widths/compounds/casings they are comparing. Not complaining just trying to add a point of clarification. Thanks to everyone that is able to contribute their experiences!

Nathan
    Sorry about that, everything I use on the front is DD/Maxxgripp. For the rear tires im using DD or DH Maxxgripp as well. Its easy to forget how many other options there are.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Is there anyone out there prefering the Minion DHF on the front still? It has been a few years since I ran one but maybe would be worth revisiting.

mtbr member
    I still like the dhf, I donít mind the knobs gap and I like how it provides feedback when you are going to fast, love the assegai too but noticiably slower than dhf

For trail riding I want to try dissector/aggressor combo next for a light fast tolling summer combo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Is there anyone out there prefering the Minion DHF on the front still? It has been a few years since I ran one but maybe would be worth revisiting.

It's still the best for dry and non off camber IMHO. The Assegai shines when you can't commit to a full lean or off camber stuff. But the smaller tread squirms on hardpack and slick rock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I just pulled off an Assegai Exo+ up front. Fantastic traction but it was so slow. Even when I hit my usual trails and railed the heck out of all the turns, I was considerably slower per Strava overall. It really is a dog. With some old sealant on my Assegai mine weighed 1300g. But the faster you try to go, and the more that tread pattern hits the ground, the more you can feel it slow down.

So I installed a Vittoria Martello 2.6 up front on a whim cause it was on sale, and I'm sold on my rear Vittoria Aggaro. The Martello weighs 1125 grams, which while lighter than the Assegai, is still darn heavy. It has these visible flat strips (feels like a 3/4" flat piece of plastic, 1 per side) right next to the beads that serve to support the sidewall and prevent pinch flats. I have a tendency to fold tires over in turns so therefore run Tubolight inserts front and rear (which adds weight and are a total pita to deal with) but with sidewalls like the ones on the Martello, I knew I would not need my inserts. The 2.6 Martello measures 2.48" wide on a 34mm ID wheel, and has an ideal rounded appearance. There was a review on Outdoorgear labs on this tire that praised it but complained about thin sidewalls but they are just plain wrong on this aspect, it has thicker and considerably firmer sidewalls than most trail tires with some cool tech integrated that adds weight but does accomplish something. Outdoorgear labs also claimed the Martello wasn't ramped but it indeed is, just not very aggressively. It even has a directional arrow. Heck they might have mounted it backwards for their review!

The short of it is I had 1.5 miles of aggressive riding on the Martello before my bike snapped a rear axle. But in that 1.5 miles I was highly impressed. It appeared to roll very well and had that unique cushioned feeling that Vittorias seem to always have with their cotton carcass. Starting to realize that even as a WW, the weight of even a tire doesn't effect RR as much as I think it does, it's mostly the tread design and compound that matter for RR. Still wish this tire weighed 950gs and I could just run my 72g insert for a better overall weight outcome.

The trail I hit was very rocky, which didn't allow me to hit some of the fast, dry/ dusty/ rocky faster turns at speed that really tests tire's absolute traction. Will update after a get a long fast ride in this late afternoon.

For me, the Assegai is strictly a lift served tire (and a very good one). It's too slow for trail work.

Chris Bling
    I run a 2.6 DHF EXO+ up front on my ebike and a 2.5 AssGuy EXO on my trail/enduro rig. I find both of the to be awesome tires. The AssGuy is noticeably heavier and slower, but had crazy grip.

The DHR2 out back is my go-to for now. Still need to try the Aggressor...
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    I run a 2.6 DHF EXO+ up front on my ebike and a 2.5 AssGuy EXO on my trail/enduro rig. I find both of the to be awesome tires. The AssGuy is noticeably heavier and slower, but had crazy grip.

You must have Superman-esque legs to pedal that Assegai on the rear and keep up with the group. Holy moly!

Maxxis has great tread designs but their compounds and carcass' are painfully average when compared to the other big players making them roll below average in every category, imo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I wonder how the Magic Mary in the Ultra Soft compund compares, I know that a lot of people dont like the Assegai in Maxxterra, maybe that was the same for the Magic Mary. I wont run anything except Maxxgripp on the front tire. I was running the WTB Verdict before the Assegai, I liked it so much but WTB makes such heavy tires they are tough to pedal, I would have let my legs got stronger but I actually punctured 2 WTB tough casings in 1 week, not worth the extra weight if they still puncture!

mtbr member
    Ive gone from DHR2, to DHF 2.5, down to the Dissector 2.4 up front, paired with my new fav rear tire....the Dissector. Of course all the casings arent available yet, but I am telling you, do NOT sleep on this tire up front either. Once available in all of the casings you will continue to see this tire all over bikes f and r. I'm currently riding a pair of them in exo, because I can on my terrain and its quite awesome.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I wonder how the Magic Mary in the Ultra Soft compund compares, I know that a lot of people dont like the Assegai in Maxxterra, maybe that was the same for the Magic Mary. I wont run anything except Maxxgripp on the front tire. I was running the WTB Verdict before the Assegai, I liked it so much but WTB makes such heavy tires they are tough to pedal, I would have let my legs got stronger but I actually punctured 2 WTB tough casings in 1 week, not worth the extra weight if they still puncture!

I like the MM but the Assegai grips a little better and last a lot longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Ive gone from DHR2, to DHF 2.5, down to the Dissector 2.4 up front, paired with my new fav rear tire....the Dissector. Of course all the casings arent available yet, but I am telling you, do NOT sleep on this tire up front either. Once available in all of the casings you will continue to see this tire all over bikes f and r. I'm currently riding a pair of them in exo, because I can on my terrain and its quite awesome.
    When it's made in DD 29er I'll be trying it out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    I tried a Dissector 3c 2.6 up front for exactly 13 miles and thought it was pretty awful. Low traction, terrible balloon bouncy feel. Did roll well however.
    For a trail tire it's certainly sufficient (although there are better choices) and as a rear where traction requirements aren't the same, maybe it's fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I tried a Dissector 3c 2.6 up front for exactly 13 miles and thought it was pretty awful. Low traction, terrible balloon bouncy feel. Did roll well however.
    For a trail tire it's certainly sufficient (although there are better choices) and as a rear where traction requirements aren't the same, maybe it's fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Man, there are a million tires that feel wayyy different in one size to the right or left for sure. And this exo casing isnt for everyone and I have yet to find a 2.6 tire I do like. The 2.4 size is my preference, the tire is light, rolls super fast, brakes insanely well, and turns on a dime. For me its the perfect trail tire and if you are stuck in the middle ground "pedal" mode, it's certainly solid. My fall back if things get gnarlier is definitely the DHR2 though. LOL Half of my crew is now fighting over dissectors though...
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

I have a bit of a background racing cars, so my engineer mind works a lot. If the only place the Assegai has been better for me is deflection off rocks and the DHR has no squirming or issues like that, I may as well just drop a PSI out of the DHR to help it track better. I actually ordered the Crankbros Synthesis wheels 2 weeks ago which I wont get for a little bit because of Corona. The whole idea with these is adding a little compliance on the front, if a tire can make a difference with compliance a wheel totally makes sense.

I have way better tuned suspension than someone my skill level should have because of making it help the bike do the work. Sometimes instead of thinking, this was faster on this situation so it is better overall, I can make the DHR do what I want by tweaking the pressure a little bit, easy. There is always a compromise but I want an easier rolling/climbing tire, and the grip has been great everywhere except getting deflected a little bit, and it actually clears mud!

Rides all the bikes!
    I have an Assagei DD 2.5 waiting to go on when my Eliminator BD 2.6 dies. Might be a while as tires last pretty long for me up front being pretty light weight. And I just ordered a DHRII DD for the rear for when the current Hans Dampf and the Slaughter I have laying around wear down (I wear rears much faster). Interested to see how they hold up as I really like the Eliminator up front.

I ride a mix of trail conditions. From big climb and tech DH rides, to soft sandy trails, to park, little bit of everything. My priority is durability (for my back country riding) and traction (because I like to push the limits), weight and rolling resistance mean very little to me as Strava times are only for fun for me, and I care more about climbing KOM's then DH (no climbing KOM's on a 40 pound 170/160 bike ).

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post

Yes.

The Maxxis 2.6" tires with EXO + is an great tire. It eliminates the weak, puffy sidewall feel of the original 2.6" tires. The Minions in that flavor are my favorites. Can't wait until the Assegai comes out in a 275 2.6 EXO+. I think I'll replace the DHF with that. I can use even more grip up front than the DHF gives. I gone Assegai front and rear on my DH bike and really like it.

Tried the Aggressor out back. Can't say it rolled much faster than the DHR2 I run, but sure as heck didn't have the cornering grip. Fishtailed an awful lot and took it off in short order. Just sold it today actually.

mtbr member
    My Favorite front tire is the DHR2 29x2.4 EXO MaxxGrip. I use it on my trail bike with no insert and on my big bike with Cushcore inserts. I'm in Nor Cal and mostly ride forrest loam so sharp rocks are less of a concern. I've run Assegai EXO+ and liked the grip and feel (again, not many rocks) but not worth the heft for me which was definitely noticeable. The MaxxGrip compound is sublime and stoked that Maxxis is offering it on more EXO casings.

I earn the downs on both bikes; rides typically range from 3k to 5k of climbing so grip to weight/rolliing ratio is important.