Maxxis Ardent 29x2.25 or Aspen 29x2.1 as rear tire on Black Flag Pro wheels?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Maxxis Ardent 29x2.25 or Aspen 29x2.1 as rear tire on Black Flag Pro wheels?

I recently picked up a Black Flag Pro 29er wheel set from Price Point as a pre-Black Friday special, and ordered a pair of 2.25 Maxxis Ardent foldable, TR tires.

My current wheels have 2.1 Maxxis Aspen tires on the front and back.

I'm wondering whether it would make more sense to put the Aspen or Ardent on the rear wheel. My issue with traction and control has been with the front tire, but I didn't see a TR option for the Aspens. Would I be able to put an Aspen on the rear wheel and run it tubeless without concern? Would that make more sense than using an Ardent in the back?

In case it's not already clear from the above, my concern is that the Ardents are TR (tubeless ready) tubes, and the Aspens are not, which makes me hesitate to put the Aspen on the rear as tubeless, though that's what I'd like to do if it will work well.

mtbr member
    I've run Maxxis tyres tubeless, both regular and tubeless ready and never had a problem with either type, I'd say with those wheels you're good to go with the Aspen, although I might look to an Ikon instead which you can get TR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    I've run an Aspen tubeless on the rear with no issues. Well, other than the fact that the sidewalls tear super easy. The Aspens were a good race day tire but in my experience they weren't well suited for everyday riding.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post
    I've run an Aspen tubeless on the rear with no issues. Well, other than the fact that the sidewalls tear super easy. The Aspens were a good race day tire but in my experience they weren't well suited for everyday riding.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    I've got two, since they're on the front and back of my current wheels, and I did just go ahead and order some 700x32 road tires and tubes, so I think I'm going to throw one of my existing Aspens on the rear and see how that works. If I do have issues with the Aspen and not the Ardent, I'll go ahead and upgrade to an Ikon TR down the road.

Not to get too off-topic, but what are the real pros and cons of an Ikon 3C/TR vs. 3C/EXO/TR? (Basically, what does EXO buy you? It's a heavier tire.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    I've got two, since they're on the front and back of my current wheels, and I did just go ahead and order some 700x32 road tires and tubes, so I think I'm going to throw one of my existing Aspens on the rear and see how that works. If I do have issues with the Aspen and not the Ardent, I'll go ahead and upgrade to an Ikon TR down the road.

Not to get too off-topic, but what are the real pros and cons of an Ikon 3C/TR vs. 3C/EXO/TR? (Basically, what does EXO buy you? It's a heavier tire.)

Unless you race, just burn up those aspens in the rear asap and buy an exo ikon. If you race, you could save the aspens for races, which is what they are meant for.

Aspens suck as a front tire where I am, but the 2.2 ardent is pretty ok, so you don't really have a choice between the two, imho.

The non-exo ikon has the same casing as the aspen, I think, which is like paper. It will seal, but spew stans anytime the sidewall touches something. I have had good luck with the ikon exo as a rear tire, so I think it is sturdy enough for xc for most people.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have the non-EXO Ikon's and have been riding in rocky areas. No problems for me whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Not what Gilarider said, the EXO casing is almost bomb proof, or at least it has been for me on our coral rocks, the normal TR Ikons casing isn't as thick, but it's also stood up quite well on our coral. I tested both for before they were released and I chose to run the EXO on the rear mostly as you tend to thread the front and let the back follow wherever. Weight difference isn't huge between them, so if you have any doubts about sharp rocks, I'd get the EXO.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That says it well. I myself don't thread the front, but take a more direct approach, looking for small transitions/connections with rocks/roots in the trail rather than riding around them. Figured this out when I got a FS and then put fatty's on it. The habit stayed when I got a 29er HT and I also run fatty's on that.

Small change in technique, but a lot more fun (for me).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Not what Gilarider said, the EXO casing is almost bomb proof, or at least it has been for me on our coral rocks, the normal TR Ikons casing isn't as thick, but it's also stood up quite well on our coral. I tested both for before they were released and I chose to run the EXO on the rear mostly as you tend to thread the front and let the back follow wherever. Weight difference isn't huge between them, so if you have any doubts about sharp rocks, I'd get the EXO.
    OK, you're right, I missed the TR part. I was thinking of the original 120tpi casing. I tore the sidewall twice on my aspen on the first ride, on the front, no less. That is the casing I am thinking about.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    peteer,

Run your Aspen in the rear until it burns up. Will be a great rear tire with the Ardent front for the trails you ride.

If you ride SMBA and absolutely love it, go EXO Ikon, otherwise, the standard Ikon is fine. Pretty sure our Niner buddy rides a non-EXO Ikon and it survived SMBA just fine despite the sharp rocks... everywhere.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    peteer,

Run your Aspen in the rear until it burns up. Will be a great rear tire with the Ardent front for the trails you ride.

If you ride SMBA and absolutely love it, go EXO Ikon, otherwise, the standard Ikon is fine. Pretty sure our Niner buddy rides a non-EXO Ikon and it survived SMBA just fine despite the sharp rocks... everywhere.
    Hahaha. I'm in here trying to get advice so I look like I somewhat know what I'm doing when I show up with tubeless this weekend...but I guess you know where I'm getting my info when I'm not talking with you or Keith at Tech Valley Cycles.

I ordered some road 700x32 tires and tubes today, I think it makes sense to just use the Ardents in the front and Aspens in the back on the Black Flag Pros, and turn my 19mm current rims into reasonable tubed commuter tires. It should help a little if we ever do get out and ride on the road together.

Looking forward to hopefully showing you the new wheels + tires on Saturday! (Weather allowing, that is.)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No worries - if you notice a few threads down I've got a thread asking about what to use for a budget custom wheelset.

Ardent front/Aspen rear is a pretty classic combo. Will serve really well for everywhere around here. I really like the semi-aggressive front/fast rolling XC tire rear combo. That is essentially what I run. Handles nicely.

Hopefully the weather holds out. As long as we don't get too much rain it shouldn't be too icy Saturday morning.
    Eric

mtbr member
    When I say thread, i meant more along the lines of you see where you put it unlike the rear that just ends up following wherever and generally not as clean and one little slip off that sharp coral rock so it slides along the casing for a none EXO casing could be the end of it. Trust me, I tested them on my Prime on our nastiest, rockiest DH, in the dry and wet and was truly amazed at how well they performed.

Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    That says it well. I myself don't thread the front, but take a more direct approach, looking for small transitions/connections with rocks/roots in the trail rather than riding around them. Figured this out when I got a FS and then put fatty's on it. The habit stayed when I got a 29er HT and I also run fatty's on that.

Small change in technique, but a lot more fun (for me).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    When I say thread, i meant more along the lines of you see where you put it unlike the rear that just ends up following wherever and generally not as clean and one little slip off that sharp coral rock so it slides along the casing for a none EXO casing could be the end of it. Trust me, I tested them on my Prime on our nastiest, rockiest DH, in the dry and wet and was truly amazed at how well they performed.
    Gotcha my friend.