Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The 2.3 Aggressor, though narrow, basically has the same cornering knobs as an HR2. Probably not the best choice in hardpack and loose, but they work fine and have their applications. I suspect the 2.5 would be even better.

I run DHFs and Rock'R2's on my other bike but the Aggressor really isn't much worse up front and it rolls a lot faster...which my strava times reflect. Takes quite a bit to get it to wash, and never goes without lots of warning.

mtbr member
    First ride on the 2.5x29 wasn't really fair, but it was straight up head to head vs the DHR2 2.4 I had been running. LEAVES. Our trails our covered and it's the worst, unfair time of year to test a tire. However I can say this: it's definitely noticeably faster. Cornering was strong with not much difference. The big issue was climbing. The amount of center knobs and dual compound had this tire slipping like crazy in anything "straightline" in comparison to the 3C DHR2. Where there was good traction, the tire was winning. Can't wait for us to wear these leaves down. Lol. I really think this tire is gonna be great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    First ride on the 2.5x29 wasn't really fair, but it was straight up head to head vs the DHR2 2.4 I had been running. LEAVES. Our trails our covered and it's the worst, unfair time of year to test a tire. However I can say this: it's definitely noticeably faster. Cornering was strong with not much difference. The big issue was climbing. The amount of center knobs and dual compound had this tire slipping like crazy in anything "straightline" in comparison to the 3C DHR2. Where there was good traction, the tire was winning. Can't wait for us to wear these leaves down. Lol. I really think this tire is gonna be great.
    Photos?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I really like this tire, it's my go to rear now for certain. Oddly enough I've never been on the 2.3 version which would be the only other tire I'd consider at this point.
    Any comparisons from anyone's that's ridden both on somewhat wide rims, 29mm ID-ish?
    Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Can anyone speak to a 2.5 aggressor vs 2.6 rekon?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I finally got mine installed on the rear of my non-boost Stumpjumper (29mm IW rim) and did a ride this morning. Cornering grip felt good in loose/hard and braking is just awesome. Trying to play around with pressure now to get it dialed but I'm a little new to feeling for the right psi so it may take awhile.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Any comparisons from anyone's that's ridden both on somewhat wide rims, 29mm ID-ish?
    Thanks.
    I've been on both but not back-to-back, on a Wrecking with 29 inner rims, EXO casing. The 2.3 is a pinner tire and wasn't impressed. 2.5 is a very big improvement in every aspect. Grip is much better everywhere and I feel the casing rides better overall, a bit more supple and faster rolling. I ran both on the rear at 28psi.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    I've been on both but not back-to-back, on a Wrecking with 29 inner rims, EXO casing. The 2.3 is a pinner tire and wasn't impressed. 2.5 is a very big improvement in every aspect. Grip is much better everywhere and I feel the casing rides better overall, a bit more supple and faster rolling. I ran both on the rear at 28psi.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Universal has the 27.5 exo in stock next week for about $61 shipped. I can get a 2.3 Tough/Fast Breakout for about $40. I put a 2.5 T/F Breakout on the back of my non-boost HD3 and it's really too tall. I switched from a 2.4 DHR2 that was way too slow.

The 2.3 Breakout measures 62mm at the casing on a 35mm rim and is super fast. How much speed will I lose with a 2.5 Aggressor? I have no complaints about the Breakout other than the height and weight, but part of me still wants to try the Aggressor.

Maxxis Aggressor 2.5" WT-breakout.jpg
    Ibis Mojo HD3 - Santa Cruz 5010 V2

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone compare the rekon 2.6 with aggressor 2.5? The aggr is about 130g heavier. Is it possible it'll roll faster when its heavier?
    On arts, the terrain listed for rekon is rocky but not for the aggressor. However, it lists aggressor for hard packed but not for rekon.
    Socal is both hard packed and rocky. Wondered if anyone had experience with both.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm with stupid
    I have not ridden the 2.6 rekon. But I did spent a bit of time on the 2.8 I feel it rolls a touch faster than the aggressor on hard pack but the 2.5 aggressor is better in ever other way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thx for the feedback. I really like the rekon but always looking for the next best thing.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Been running the 2.5 WT Aggressor on a 29IW rim for roughly a month. Previously ran either the Aggressor in 2.3 or a 2.4 WT DHRII. This is in Phoenix.

I double flatted the tire Sunday coming down National at South Mountain. Two punctures through the tread carcass in two different spots. 190 rider running 30 psi tubeless.

While this isnít exactly unheard of here, I actually feel like the 2.3 version of the tire hooked up better. Obviously the 2.5 is a big meaty tire. It looks nice, but not sure it performs better.

Probably going back to the DHRII, honestly. Pretty tough tire to beat here.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Been running the 2.5 WT Aggressor on a 29IW rim for roughly a month. Previously ran either the Aggressor in 2.3 or a 2.4 WT DHRII. This is in Phoenix.

I double flatted the tire Sunday coming down National at South Mountain. Two punctures through the tread carcass in two different spots. 190 rider running 30 psi tubeless.

While this isnít exactly unheard of here, I actually feel like the 2.3 version of the tire hooked up better. Obviously the 2.5 is a big meaty tire. It looks nice, but not sure it performs better.

Probably going back to the DHRII, honestly. Pretty tough tire to beat here.
    How do you compare the 2.3 aggressor to the 2.5 aggressor and the 2.4 dhr2 in terms of:

• rolling resistance
    • wet/light mud grip
    • dry grip
    • braking

PS. the 2.4 dhr2 is dual compound or 3c maxxterra?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I mounted up my 27.5x2.5 WT Aggressor. I let it sit overnight at 30 psi after mounting, then dropped it back down to my usual 20 psi. My eyeball measurement with a ruler puts it at exactly 2.5" at the widest point, which is exactly the same as what I see on my 2.5 WT Minion DHF. Visually the WT Aggressor lugs look deeper than the 2.3, especially on the cornering knobs.

My 1 ride on it so far was great. The dirt was basically hero dirt - Norcal sandy clay which got rain midweek with 3 days to dry out, so that was tilting things in its favor, but the traction was fantastic. I had one point where I got a bit of unexpected air off a roller and ended up off camber in some loose crud on the side of the trail and I thought for sure I was going to wash out and crash, but it just dug in and I kept on rolling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I too just mounted up my 27.5x2.5" WT Aggressor to Ibis 738, 34mm ID wheels. Mine also measures 2.5" at the widest point which is on the tread, slightly narrower not counting the tread, aired up to 30 PSI, going to leave it for a few days at that to stretch it out a bit. Won't be able to ride on it for a while, but will report back when I do. Coming from a Minion SS I'm sure it will be a night and day difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have a 2.5 on the way to replace the 2.6 rekon. Im glad the 2.5 is true to size.

Id guess the minion ss would roll faster but the aggressor will corner a little better and have better braking traction . The ss is a bit lighter than the aggressor. I liked my ss when i had it but braking and steep climbing traction was pretty bad although i did enjoy how fast they rolled. I think the rekon filled my needs and the aggressor is the next step up. You have to give up something and in this case it will be rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    If someone could post a picture of a 2.5 on a 25mm rim and maybe a width measurement that would be great
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Mine is 943.5g with a zip tie and maxxis paper. Aggressor 27.5 x 2.50 WT 60psi
    Will compare the weight with a 2.3 later.
    Hopefully the 2.5 won't be too big for my Nomad 3...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Mine is 943.5g with a zip tie and maxxis paper. Aggressor 27.5 x 2.50 WT 60psi
    Will compare the weight with a 2.3 later.
    Hopefully the 2.5 won't be too big for my Nomad 3...

It's fine on Nomad 3 (that's what I'm using too). FWIW, my measurements were on Light Bicycle 31.8mm internal rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    It's fine on Nomad 3 (that's what I'm using too). FWIW, my measurements were on Light Bicycle 31.8mm internal rims.
    Would you mind to post a photo please.

Bodhisattva

Won't be a problem. I've run 2.5 minions on my nomad 3, as well as 2.5 WTBs, the latter of which is more voluminous and it clears with tons of room

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

I'll try and get you something Saturday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My 27.5x2.5 weighs 955g. What a pig.
    60tpi doesnt come light.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    My 27.5x2.5 weighs 955g. What a pig.
    60tpi doesnt come light.

Never trust a tire in this class and size under 900 grams

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My rekon 2.6 dc is also 60tpi and weighs 100g lighter. Maybe the weight went to the larger lugs. Cant wait to try it in a week or so.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sundace View Post
    How do you compare the 2.3 aggressor to the 2.5 aggressor and the 2.4 dhr2 in terms of:

• rolling resistance
    • wet/light mud grip
    • dry grip
    • braking

PS. the 2.4 dhr2 is dual compound or 3c maxxterra?
    Good questions. The compound used is particularly important. The rolling resistance difference between the DC and MaxxTerra is quite large. The DHRII 2.4WT in DC rolls very well despite the aggressive tread design. It rolls almost as well as a Trail Boss 2.4 Light/Fast but with twice the grip, protection and damping. If you care about rolling resistance but need deep widely spaced lugs I would consider a dual compound tire over a tight tread 3C sticky compound. In terrain like the wet/cold UK or Pacific Northwest though, 3C and equivilant sticky compounds are almost required to stay upright.

Its nice to read the positive comments on the Aggressor 2.5. My girlfriend (a MTB coach and enduro racer) have tried the 2.3 version and greatly disliked it. As a front tire it was even worse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    TRUTH!

950g isn't a pig its almost just getting into the reliable weight.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    My 27.5 x 2.5 Aggressor came in at 944. Under 1000g is pretty light for an aggressive Exo tire which the Rekon is not. The Aggressor measured 60/62mm at the casing/tread on an Ibis 741 (35mm internal). It's nice to have some mud and rock clearance again.

First ride and pics tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoyken View Post
    My 27.5 x 2.5 Aggressor came in at 944. Under 1000g is pretty light for an aggressive Exo tire which the Rekon is not. The Aggressor measured 60/62mm at the casing/tread on an Ibis 741 (35mm internal). It's nice to have some mud and rock clearance again.

First ride and pics tomorrow.
    What pressure were you at when you measured? Earlier in this thread someone posted up that the width was exactly 2.5 on i30 rims, so wouldnít it be slightly wider on your i35? Just trying to understand, because Iím looking for a new rear tire myself and the aggressor seems perfect but I only have 2.75 clear between stays, so if itís actually 2.5 that would be cutting it too close, but 2.4 actual would work for me.

Tappin' via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipperyb View Post
    What pressure were you at when you measured? Earlier in this thread someone posted up that the width was exactly 2.5 on i30 rims, so wouldnít it be slightly wider on your i35? Just trying to understand, because Iím looking for a new rear tire myself and the aggressor seems perfect but I only have 2.75 clear between stays, so if itís actually 2.5 that would be cutting it too close, but 2.4 actual would work for me.

Tappin' via Tapatalk
    After letting it sit overnight at 30psi, i lowered it to 26psi (what i usually ride at) this morning. Tire stretched to 62/63mm for casing/tread. That's about 2.44 and 2.48 inches.

For reference the DHF 2.5 on the front has a 2.44 casing and 2.5 tread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    For my 2.6 rekon im using 19 psi in the rear. I was thinking 2.5 aggressor I'd use 20 psi. Anyone running this pressure?

26 sounds high unless youre hucking huge drops and crazy g-outs.

mtbr member
    For my 2.6 rekon im using 19 psi in the rear. I was thinking 2.5 aggressor I'd use 20 psi. Anyone running this pressure?

I could probably run a double down at 20 psi, but I'll pinch flat an exo that low.

mtbr member
    Well, this is my new favorite rear tire. Great profile that is not quite as fast as a 2.5 Breakout, but much faster than a DHR2. Better traction than the Breakout too. Braking and cornering are better, especially on loose dirt and gravel.

Where I rode today didn't have any tech climbs to test on so I'll have to wait til next week when I hit up Santa Cruz. I was finding the limits of the Breakout on wet, loose climbs so I hope the Aggressor will do a little better.

Maxxis Aggressor 2.5" WT-aggressor01.jpg
    Maxxis Aggressor 2.5" WT-aggressor02.jpg
    Maxxis Aggressor 2.5" WT-aggressor03.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoyken View Post
    Well, this is my new favorite rear tire. Great profile that is not quite as fast as a 2.5 Breakout, but much faster than a DHR2. Better traction than the Breakout too. Braking and cornering are better, especially on loose dirt and gravel.

Where I rode today didn't have any tech climbs to test on so I'll have to wait til next week when I hit up Santa Cruz. I was finding the limits of the Breakout on wet, loose climbs so I hope the Aggressor will do a little better.
    Thanks for posting this up. From the photos clearance looks good? Is it a non-boost swingarm? I also have a HD3 and interested in this tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fresh tracks View Post
    Thanks for posting this up. From the photos clearance looks good? Is it a non-boost swingarm? I also have a HD3 and interested in this tire.
    Clearance is not bad for a non-boost swingarm. Enough that I don't think I'll have too much trouble with mud.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Photos of clearance on a Nomad 3. Rims are Light Bicycle 31.8mm IW. In case you're wondering, the foam strip zip-tied to the frame is my ghetto rear mud guard to keep grit out of the lower linkage. It's not super clear from the pictures, but there's about 0.5-0.75 cm clearance on front and sides.

Maxxis Aggressor 2.5" WT-mvimg_20180121_195758.jpgMaxxis Aggressor 2.5" WT-mvimg_20180121_195808.jpgMaxxis Aggressor 2.5" WT-mvimg_20180121_195819.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Photos of clearance on a Nomad 3. Rims are Light Bicycle 31.8mm IW. In case you're wondering, the foam strip zip-tied to the frame is my ghetto rear mud guard to keep grit out of the lower linkage. It's not super clear from the pictures, but there's about 0.5-0.75 cm clearance on front and sides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVIMG_20180121_195758.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	1179297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVIMG_20180121_195808.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	1179298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVIMG_20180121_195819.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	1179299
    Thanks!
    I have already mounted the 2.5 aggressor and you are right. Just enough clearance with N3.
    I really like it as a rear tire. Rolls and brakes well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I LOVE this tire. The wear and traction are amazing. Rolls average-ish but that's a fair trade off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

I have been reading about pressures other people used and also thought they seemed way high. Iím 185 geared and run 19psi with these on the rear, 29mm IW rims. Iím pretty newb, but higher than that and it felt like I was just skipping on loose over hard surfaces.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonp22 View Post
    I have been reading about pressures other people used and also thought they seemed way high. Iím 185 geared and run 19psi with these on the rear, 29mm IW rims. Iím pretty newb, but higher than that and it felt like I was just skipping on loose over hard surfaces.
    Then your pressure is right. Gauges vary. Riders vary. Conditions vary. Preferences vary. If you arenít bottoming the tire or having it squirm, then you have enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Its true. If someone rips through the burms they will need more pressure or maybe wider rims to support lower pressure. If they plow hard through rock gardens versus someone who is light on their feet or pick their lines they will need higher pressures. Most folks arent doing that and i think your pressure is a good starting point.
    Would be nice if there was a device that you can attach to your valve which tells you how close you are to striking your rim. That would really help dial in your pressure. Squirm you can feel. Maybe this device can also detect burping.

I'm with stupid
    This tire keeps growing on me. Have 10 or so rides on it and it is now slightly larger (hand wrap around tire touching rim on both sides test) than the DHF 2.5 that is on the front. Preforms very well!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Its true. If someone rips through the burms they will need more pressure or maybe wider rims to support lower pressure. If they plow hard through rock gardens versus someone who is light on their feet or pick their lines they will need higher pressures. Most folks arent doing that and i think your pressure is a good starting point.
    Would be nice if there was a device that you can attach to your valve which tells you how close you are to striking your rim. That would really help dial in your pressure. Squirm you can feel. Maybe this device can also detect burping.

I have that device.
    I keep it at the bottom of the dry creek bed I cross on my lunch ride.
    To use it I just run into it really hard.
    If I have too little air in my tires it audibly alerts me.
    I call it rock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    You should sell it on amazon and be rich

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by ac1000 View Post
    I have that device.
    I call it rock.
    Comes in different flavors too? Round, square, sharp, slick and if you order now we will throw in the ever elusive sand stone....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Comes in different flavors too? Round, square, sharp, slick and if you order now we will throw in the ever elusive sand stone....

How do you know which to tune for?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    This tire is absolutely the best compromise and all around tire I've ever used. Love it. It's held up well too.
    But after about 15 rides it doesn't look terrible but traction is notably less. No complaints as that's quite a bit more than I usually get (frankly I've been riding poorly however).
    I've got another one in the shelf to replace it. My search for the best rear tire for me has concluded.

mtbr member
    I got my friend to try out the DHF/Aggressor combo after finding a bubble in the sidewall of the 2.6 Nobby Nics that came on his HD3. He is 135 lbs and not a hard rider.

Maxxis Aggressor 2.5" WT-20180128_140224.jpg

He got lucky and ended up with a fairly light Aggressor too.

Maxxis Aggressor 2.5" WT-20180203_182108.jpg

His first ride impressons were that the bike felt "more nimble" and that he wasn't as scared to ride faster. This was the first time he hit almost every drop and feature.

mtbr member
    But...

My 27.5 Magic Mary weighs mid 800's!?

It's one of the best tires I've owned!?

Although, it could be in a higher class - for sure ^^

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

I'm with stupid
    Take it through some lava rock or some granite rock gardens at higher speed and get back to me on how it went.

mtbr member
    Two words...

mtbr member
    Super....

mtbr member
    Gravity ;-P

I'm with stupid
    Those are only about a 300 grams each over the 900 I listed

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I realize that this thread is about the 2.5 Aggressor, but after putting yet another hole the casing of my 2.3 Aggressor (in the tread, not caused by low pressure) I decided to switch to the spare Breakout 2.5 Tough/Fast I had in my garage.

Verdict: the Breakout is significantly faster, even though it's 150g heavier in the Heavy casing. The Aggressor corners better, but not better enough to make up for the lost speed.

I'm guessing the 2.5 Aggressor is not any faster rolling than the 2.3 Aggressor, and the casing is probably thinner too. This has really dampened my desire to try the 2.5 Aggressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I realize that this thread is about the 2.5 Aggressor, but after putting yet another hole the casing of my 2.3 Aggressor (in the tread, not caused by low pressure) I decided to switch to the spare Breakout 2.5 Tough/Fast I had in my garage.

Verdict: the Breakout is significantly faster, even though it's 150g heavier in the Heavy casing. The Aggressor corners better, but not better enough to make up for the lost speed.

I'm guessing the 2.5 Aggressor is not any faster rolling than the 2.3 Aggressor, and the casing is probably thinner too. This has really dampened my desire to try the 2.5 Aggressor.
    The Tough casing on the WTB tires is significantly more robust than the EXO casing on Maxxis tires. It's the only tire my girlfriend hasn't slashed yet! Brand new DHRII I just installed is toast so I'm putting the Trail Boss Tough/Fast back on her bike. LOL

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Damn. She must not like you very much if she's slashing your tires.

Damn. She must not like you very much if she's slashing your tires.

LOL That's why I don't let her smash on my bike. She can slash her own tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Where is the breakout significant faster than the aggressor?
    In the 27.5x2.5 version of both, there's a 195g delta.
    That's a lot of extra rotational weight on pedally sections making the breakout slower but probably provide better traction on the downs.
    Maybe the aggressor lugs were contacting the ground due to too low pressure?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I typically run 30-31psi in the rear on an i30 rim (maybe wide for a 2.3, but it still had a rounded profile). The Breakout is noticeably faster in a straight line. Cornering is not as good. Braking and traction are almost as good as the Aggressor (e.g., Aggressor is better at everything but much slower in a straight line).

Doesn't matter much as the Breakout is discontinued. I was just surprised at how much faster the Breakout was even with the extra weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Its a good thing i never ride in a straight line.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Its a good thing i never ride in a straight line.

It's the fastest way to ride. Going around corners is for people who don't get KOMs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I liked the Breakout tough/ fast a LOT. It's somewhat faster, but had notably less traction than the Breakout 2.5 I'm running now. But still it was a rocket. The Breakout did wear very fast ime, probably because it slid around a whole lot. But it retained great traction even when it was quite worn.

The fastest setup that I could enjoy that had usable traction was the MM Addix soft snakeskin up front with the Breakout tough/ fast in the rear. Very fast setup and a solid 7-8 on the absolute 1-10 traction scale. Perfect tire combo for 100 degree TX summers.

That said, you can't beat the DHF 3c 2.5 exo up front with the Aggressor Dual 2.5 exo in the rear. That set up really goes where you point it, wears well, and pedals better than most aggressive set ups. It's almost boring because your tires just don't move much underneath you.

I guess it's a moot point since the Breakout is gone.

I'm with stupid
    on super dry moab type places I like to run a DC Minion 2.5 on the front as well as a DC 2.5 aggressor on the rear. Still tons of grip from the DHF even in dual but you can feel it rolling faster. When it is dry like that you really are not giving up a ton of traction to the 3c.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Just rode my first week on the 2.5 DD Aggressor in the rear. We have super blown out conditions in a very dry SoCal winter this year. It has been as dry and hot as summer all season long. And going from a 2.3 aggressor to a 2.5 has been a revelation. It literally felt like riding on hero dirt!!! The 2.5 DD is only 65 grams heavier than the 2.3, so there is no noticeable difference in pedaling. All I can say is that my bike has been completely transformed and I am loving it! No more praying for rain aside from our unfortunate drought. There is no reason to ever run a 2.3 unless youíre racing XC or obsessed with your uphill Strava times.

This is what I have noticed:
    1. Far less drift in corners and switchbacks
    2. Much more planted in straightaways
    3. More stable hitting 1-2 foot drops
    4. Stiffer pedaling characteristics both uphill and downhill
    5. Way more BRRRAAAAPPPP through the chunk and it begs to smeeaaassshhh faster through all the rocks.
    6. More confidence leaning the bike over

Note that I also mounted a 2.5 WT DHF Maxx Terra up front. Itís my first experience with one and it rides identical to my Magic Mary that Iíve ridden for 1.5 years. The front end has felt the same. But itís the aggressor in the rear that is a game changer.

mtbr member
    @AmadoMTB...I getting ready to build up a Tracer and will be trying out the 2.5 Aggressor on the back. I already run the 2.3 on my Primer and 5010. I just recently put the Magic Mary on the front of my 5010 and it's nice enough but grip doesn't compare to the E13 TRS Race....the best front tire on the planet. However, because of the lower cost, slightly lower weight and especially the easy availability of the DHF 2.5, I'll probably try that next.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    @AmadoMTB...I getting ready to build up a Tracer and will be trying out the 2.5 Aggressor on the back. I already run the 2.3 on my Primer and 5010. I just recently put the Magic Mary on the front of my 5010 and it's nice enough but grip doesn't compare to the E13 TRS Race....the best front tire on the planet. However, because of the lower cost, slightly lower weight and especially the easy availability of the DHF 2.5, I'll probably try that next.
    K2! Youíre gonna love the set up! Another thing I forgot to mention is that the knobs on the WT are noticeably bigger. It is such an awesome tire. I know what you mean about cost. I bought a couple Marys for $33 from Merlin cycles. Thatís why Iíve been running them for so long. I like the DHF WT. But I didnít notice too much of a difference on the front end. I hope to shuttle soon and get a big ride in. Maybe Iíll notice something then. But the aggressor was noticeable within the first 100 feet of trail that had a couple drops and rocky sections. Youíll never go back to the 2.3 again! Let me know what you think once theyíre on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ac1000 View Post
    I have that device.
    I call it rock.
    Or the sound of my carbon rim breaking on said rock.

I want that device too. I wonder if my shock wiz could do it?
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Could someone measure the height of the 29er Version? Just measure the height of the tire and the rim together and tell me what rim you are running, would really appreciate

I'm with stupid
    overall from the ground to top or the thickness of rim and tire with calipers?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    overall from the ground to top or the thickness of rim and tire with calipers?
    Thickness of rim and tire with caliper so we can substract the rim profile height and know the tire height.

I dont know if it's too close at the center tread with my frame.

On a german forum someone measure that its 56mm high but that seems too low considering its a 2.5. Would be nice though since then it would fit.

mtbr member
    Its time to replace my tires that came with the bike. Onza ibex 2.4 FRC120 F/R. Nice tires but been looking at the Aggressor 2.5WT rear & Magic Mary 2.35 soft up front. Mounting on 30id rims. SoCal soil, loose over hardpack. Hoping they will roll a bit better, at least the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cmeride View Post
    Its time to replace my tires that came with the bike. Onza ibex 2.4 FRC120 F/R. Nice tires but been looking at the Aggressor 2.5WT rear & Magic Mary 2.35 soft up front. Mounting on 30id rims. SoCal soil, loose over hardpack. Hoping they will roll a bit better, at least the rear.
    Generally people put the wider/larger tire up front. I'd suggest a 2.5 up front as well, though I do know Schwalbes run wider than Maxxis so a 2.35 Schwal compared to a 2.5WT Maxxis may be a similar size. Regardless of size though, that tire combo is great for loose over hard. I run an Aggressor rear, DHF front, both 2.5 for similar conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    First ride on the 2.5 aggressor at 20psi.
    Coming from a rekon 2.6 on 34iw carbon rims. More grip, yes. Better cornering, yes. More rolling resistance, yes. I dont know if its because its the tackiness of a new tire, the extra 100g, or bigger center knobs. Looking forward to more miles. The rekon was a good tire. The aggressor seems like its more robust though which gives me more piece of mind.

mtbr member
    ^ Interesting. It seems like the Aggressor has a tighter tread pattern than the Rekon, which would translate into less drag/rolling resistance. But my impression could be far from reality.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The rekon has lower profile ramped knobs. Maybe its the extra weight.

mtbr member
    Has anyoneís ran this on an Evil following v1? I am currently running a 2.5 DHF, but itís pretty tight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    If youíre running the DHF WT in the rear, the Aggressor is significantly more narrow. But if youíre running it on the front, I canít speak on it. This is also for 27.5 tires. Good luck. The Aggressor WT is a champ.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmadoMTB View Post
    If youíre running the DHF in the rear, the Aggressor is significantly more narrow. But if youíre running it on the front, I canít speak on it. Good luck. The Aggressor WT is a champ.
    Thanks. Yes I am referring to the rear clearance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is the Aggressor 2.5 WT taller than the Aggressor 2.3?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    Yes, with significantly larger knobs down the middle.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    No WT for YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm running the Aggressor 29x2.3 rear and 29x2.5 front on my Kona Process 111 - great setup. I really like these tires. Super grippy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    My aggressor 29x2.5WT measured 2.5" at the widest knobs and 2.5" at the casing at 60 psi on an i36 rim when I installed it.
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2017 Rocky Mountain Element XXL
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    My first riding impressions of this tire coming from a 2.4" DHRII is that it gets loose in turns. It hasn't been uncontrollable yet, but it has taken me by surprise a few times. The climbing traction is almost as good as the DHRII. For stability and cushion I like the 2.5 size better though, so I may trade the aggressor for a high roller 2 on rear.
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2017 Rocky Mountain Element XXL
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Will the highroller roll faster than the aggressor?

Will the highroller roll faster than the aggressor?

Nope. Not unless they started making the Aggressor in 3C Super Tacky and then put it up against an HRII in Dual Compound.

mtbr member
    Reporting back - I think I am done with this tire. I'll preface with the fact that I am the tire whore in my crew. My brain doesn't stop thinking about tires and performance. I'm coming off the DHR2 2.4WT and DHR2 2.3 out back prior.

The tire does roll better than the DHR2, but I can find nothing else I like better. It (991g) weighs 40g more than the 2.4 DHR2 and 140g more than the 2.3 DHR2. It corners more vaguely. It doesn't climb or brake as well. I'm sitting here thinking as I type this at the 2.3 DHR2 was a better performing all around tire without the weight penalty, if I am remembering correctly.

Maybe its where I'm at. We are on the east coast in VA, so I am on needles, leaves, rocks and roots...and rarely get packed dirt or the like. I'm tempted to leave it on pushing into bike park/gravity season on my HTLT but I am fairly positive already that the DHR2 is a better tire for me. I just don't trust the Aggressor as much at this point. These enduro guys are running heavy tires to begin with (see flats this weekend at EWS) and are looking for speed...seems to make sense why it is the flavor right now.

Not bashing the tire, but figured I'd throw out some perspective. FYI, mounted on HTLT, i9 Enduro 305's.
    Santa Cruz HTLT

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What's almost as good as dhr2 and rolls better? I also like to try tires and the aggressor is good but not as good as everyone says it is for the weight.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Reporting back - I think I am done with this tire. I'll preface with the fact that I am the tire whore in my crew. My brain doesn't stop thinking about tires and performance. I'm coming off the DHR2 2.4WT and DHR2 2.3 out back prior.

The tire does roll better than the DHR2, but I can find nothing else I like better. It (991g) weighs 40g more than the 2.4 DHR2 and 140g more than the 2.3 DHR2. It corners more vaguely. It doesn't climb or brake as well. I'm sitting here thinking as I type this at the 2.3 DHR2 was a better performing all around tire without the weight penalty, if I am remembering correctly.

Maybe its where I'm at. We are on the east coast in VA, so I am on needles, leaves, rocks and roots...and rarely get packed dirt or the like. I'm tempted to leave it on pushing into bike park/gravity season on my HTLT but I am fairly positive already that the DHR2 is a better tire for me. I just don't trust the Aggressor as much at this point. These enduro guys are running heavy tires to begin with (see flats this weekend at EWS) and are looking for speed...seems to make sense why it is the flavor right now.

Not bashing the tire, but figured I'd throw out some perspective. FYI, mounted on HTLT, i9 Enduro 305's.
    I'm like you. I'm constantly trying new rear tires, although I don't venture from my front 2.5 WT DHF 650.

You may want to consider a 2.3 DHF rear, which is what I've been using. It rolls better than a DHF, corners as well and is lighter. The trade off is slightly less forward and braking traction.

I was underwhelmed by the 2.3 Aggressor. I'll be mounting a rear 2.5 WT Aggressor shortly and will post back, but it will be hard to best the DHF 2.3 rear for my use.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    New tire is in. Going to swap out my front dhf and see how I like it. Will eventually put it on the back.
    20psi Dhf 2.5 is 4-5mm taller then a fresh aggressor at 30psi

Maxxis Aggressor 2.5" WT-1523053601395-1915355757.jpg
    Last edited by alexbn921; 04-06-2018 at 04:37 PM.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

I'm with stupid
    cant wait to hear a comparison

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Will the 2.5 Aggressor work on a 24mm id rim or is that to narrow?

So I have 2 good rides on the aggressor and it makes a very good front tire on hard pack. Rolls ever so slightly faster than the DHF, but you can feel the weight. My Rocket Ron on the back died in a rock garden last night so the DHF/Aggressor combo is going to get tested out. I wish they where lighter, but the protection is worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My current setup on my HD4 is a 2.6 dhf and 2.5 aggressor. Coming from. 2.6 dhf and 2.6 rekon, i can feel the extra weight and drag of the aggressor. The aggresor cornered better and feels like it is more robust but i kinda like the rekon for my trails. I changed my tires to. Rocket ron 2.8 front and back this weekend for. 42mile 5500ft event and it did great. So much lighter on my feet and noticeably easier pedaling. However, the rock gardens and corners were sketchy as hell. I was pinging off rocks and slipping and sliding all over dust over hardpack corners. I guess ive taken the grip of the aggressor and rekon for granted. Im going back to the aggressor for normal riding and when it wears out i may go back to a 2.6 rekon. Seems to hit the sweet spot in weight, traction, and rolling resistance. I might do 2.6 rekon DC front and back so i can rotate them and make buying tires easier.

After a week of stretching the Aggressor is the exact same height as a DHF 2.5. Just barley fits the back of my tallboy 3 and while i'm going to run it with some tire cutting, I don't recommend it.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Can anybody post side-by-side pix of the 2.5 and 2.3 Aggressors? Perhaps mounted? I am really hoping to get an impression of tread and side knob differences, so as along as that is clear it would be great. Thanks in advance!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Tried a 2.5 Aggressor for my son on the rear (2.6DHF front). He made it one ride before having me put a Morsa back on. Said it was really draggy. Anyone looking for a 2.5 27.5 Aggressor?

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by snigs View Post
    Can anybody post side-by-side pix of the 2.5 and 2.3 Aggressors? Perhaps mounted? I am really hoping to get an impression of tread and side knob differences, so as along as that is clear it would be great. Thanks in advance!
    No pic, but it's noticeable how much meatier the 2.5 is vs the 2.3 when held side to side.

The biggest thing I noticed is that the tread lugs on the 2.5 are larger, but (even more important) deeper/taller than the 2.3 Aggressor.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast