mtbr member

Maxxis 2019 Catalog

https://www.maxxis.com/media/986531/...ke-txt-low.pdf

Looks like some good additions but there's still some gaps. Still no 2.4 DHR2 with double down casings (an obvious gap in the line up). They're releasing some Minions and the Assegai in Max Grip compound but not with the EXO+ casing. I'd love to has a DHR2 or Assegai up front in Max Grip with an EXO+ casing and a 2.4 DHR2 in the rear with Max Terra and DD casing.

I need tires for riding DH on my Hightower LT. I'll probably end up getting something in Max Grip for the front and Max Terra for the rear. I'm still not sure about casings though.

I'm with stupid
    Sad to not see the ass guy in Maxx grip and exo

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Looks like they're pulling out of 29+

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was just about to commit to a 29+ rigid bike that takes 3.0 tires. If this is the way things are going to go I should probably rethink that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    Disappointing. Bontrager it is.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    Cant blame them. I dont think it is a very profitable market. Outside of MTBR I have only seen 1 person on one out in the wild and he was a fat biker SS guy trying single speed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Sweet they kept the 2.2 simi slick...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Iím horrified at the weights of the xco tyres.

Whatís happened to the mid 500gr tyres like the previous generation ikon, aspen etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep on Rockin...
    Forkaster - I've had good luck with this tire. They admittedly make it for what seems to be wetter conditions, so not sure why they don't make it in a 3C compound in a 29. I'd ride this tire front 3C, and back DC.

mtbr member
    Good bye maxxis. I have to find another tire company. No 27.5x3.0s at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Sad to not see the ass guy in Maxx grip and exo
    It's strange that Maxxis don't offer grippy front tyres without extra weight.
    I don't need DD for trailriding up front, but i do need it back. So if I buy Maxxis that would be MaxxGrip rear and MaxxTerra front which would mean lots of rolling resistance and unpredictable grip front.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Good bye maxxis. I have to find another tire company. No 27.5x3.0s at all.
    WTB Bridger.

mtbr member
    They list the Rekon race as having less rolling efficiency than the Rekon on page 26?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    They list the Rekon race as having less rolling efficiency than the Rekon on page 26?
    Nino was last seen running a rekon terra 2.4 rear on i35 and minion 2.6 i40 front.

This place needs an enema
    Cant blame them. I dont think it is a very profitable market.

If they offered tread patterns that were worth a damn in that size it could be. I sell 5 Bontrager 29 x 3" tires for every one Maxxis.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    If they offered tread patterns that were worth a damn in that size it could be. I sell 5 Bontrager 29 x 3" tires for every one Maxxis.
    But that is just you, and you serve more of a nitch market. Every LBS i have talked to sells way more maxxis tires than anything else. Also the plus size tire guys are not the ones out ripping tires up and replacing them as soon as performance drops a bit. They are the ones that get mad if they dont get 2 or 3 seasons out of a set of tires. Maxxis had zero intensive to invest in molding, and product lines and R&D if like you said someone is already beating them 5 to 1 in the market place but they are winning at maybe double that in every other market share. You cannot blame or fault them for not wanting to invest in something that has a small market share and will likely die out as all the 40 year old plus riders that want it stop riding in a few years. Because lets face it, their are not any of the 19-22 year old riders screaming for 29er plus tires, and that is the demographic that maxxis needs to hook now so they are costumers for the next generation. I mean ask and mid 20's DHer. they all grew up on DHF and do not like anything that does not ride like a DHF. I would hate to think that the DHF is the pinnacle of tire technology and was hit almost 20 years ago. I am sure it is not, but can you fault Maxxis for not trying to pull a Sram and reinvent the wheel every year? The ass guy tire is going to shake things up since it is maxxis version of the magic mary which outside of the DHR2 is the DHF only real competition in the hottest selling market in the bike industry.

You cannot blame or fault them for not wanting to invest in something that has a small market share and will likely die out as all the 40 year old plus riders that want it stop riding in a few years.

The way that it works is you continually reinvest in new ideas, or you miss the boat.

I didn't make that rule, but like Maxxis I need to adhere to it.

As far as 40 year old riders quitting riding in a few years? You just dated yourself...

I'm with stupid
    The way that it works is you continually reinvest in new ideas, or you miss the boat.

I didn't make that rule, but like Maxxis I need to adhere to it.

As far as 40 year old riders quitting riding in a few years? You just dated yourself...
    True, but if that market seems as a fad that will pass no need to invest. Leave that to a company that wants to be a big fish in a small pond instead of the guy that wants to own the pond and tell the fish what to eat.

I am just drawing from the fact that I know LOTS of guys that would ride 5 days a week and after about 45 they all seem to drop to 1 or 2 times a week at most because of a few reasons. Life, recovery time and it hurts a whole lot more to hit the ground so they switch it up to very limited part time or no time.

Im 37 now and knocking on that door. This year I have started with the dont let the clock run my bike time. After a piss poor showing last year I realized I have to work 4 times as hard now as I did when I was in my 20's to keep up.

True, but if that market seems as a fad that will pass no need to invest. Leave that to a company that wants to be a big fish in a small pond instead of the guy that wants to own the pond and tell the fish what to eat.

I am just drawing from the fact that I know LOTS of guys that would ride 5 days a week and after about 45 they all seem to drop to 1 or 2 times a week at most because of a few reasons. Life, recovery time and it hurts a whole lot more to hit the ground so they switch it up to very limited part time or no time.

Im 37 now and knocking on that door. This year I have started with the dont let the clock run my bike time. After a piss poor showing last year I realized I have to work 4 times as hard now as I did when I was in my 20's to keep up.

29+ has been around since 2013. If it was a fad as you suggest it would have blown over by now. It hasn't -- it's still seeing steady growth.

Is it going to surpass smaller 29" stuff and dominate the market? If you include 2.6" tires, then yeah -- I think so.

Once you learn to not give a shit about "keeping up" riding becomes a lot more enjoyable again, and you realize you can do it for the rest of your life.

Make America Bike Again
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted GP View Post
    Iím horrified at the weights of the xco tyres.

Whatís happened to the mid 500gr tyres like the previous generation ikon, aspen etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But if a DHF EXO's grip helps to prevent a nasty crash and subsequent hospital bills, would you still be horrified at a super grippy tire's weight?
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

Make America Bike Again
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post

lol chalk it up to a Taiwanese mistranslation

I'm with stupid
    29+ has been around since 2013. If it was a fad as you suggest it would have blown over by now. It hasn't -- it's still seeing steady growth.

Is it going to surpass smaller 29" stuff and dominate the market? If you include 2.6" tires, then yeah -- I think so.

Once you learn to not give a shit about "keeping up" riding becomes a lot more enjoyable again, and you realize you can do it for the rest of your life.
    True, life will be much better and my goal is just to making biking fun again.

Also, you kinda proved my point. It has been around for almost 6 years and still remains to be a nitch market. Now by lumping 2.6 into it there is more of a following there. But most "plus" guys do not include 2.6. mainly because most 2.6" tires do not measure more than 2.4ish. 27.5 wheel switch or boost didnt take that long.

mtbr member

Maybe you need to re think your training plan. Tons of guys in their 40ís still going real hard. The guy I ride the most with is in his mid 40ís and out cardios me at 10 years younger all day. 37 ainít old.... but I get injuries and ďlifeĒ
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hitech You young punks. 65 ride 5 days a week, like gnar. And no I don't like plus tires but love Maxxis DHF Aggressor combo. As you get older you can still ride but hydration, food intake, rest, and unfortunately reduced alcohol intake become much more important.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Anybody got a clue when the new 2019 tires are going to be released? Early/late 2019?

mtbr member
    Am I crazy or is there not an option for DHF 2.5 WT DD in MaxxTerra?

I'm getting worn/undercut sideknobs within a couple months running MaxxGrip (27.5) on the front. Seems to me that lifespan is way too short and a Terra version would sell well... no?

mtbr member
    Absolutely agree I have only stopped riding 5 days a week because things/work is slow and I now have other financial responsibilities that limit my ability to buy enough/proper nutrition for that amount of riding, otherwise, I'd still be riding 3-5 days a week and 50 is next year for me and pretty much all of the younger riders still can't keep up on the climbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Maybe you need to re think your training plan. Tons of guys in their 40ís still going real hard. The guy I ride the most with is in his mid 40ís and out cardios me at 10 years younger all day. 37 ainít old.... but I get injuries and ďlifeĒ
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Am I crazy or is there not an option for DHF 2.5 WT DD in MaxxTerra?

I'm getting worn/undercut sideknobs within a couple months running MaxxGrip (27.5) on the front. Seems to me that lifespan is way too short and a Terra version would sell well... no?
    Yeah, their compound and casing combinations don't make complete sense. A Maxxterra DD option in 2.4 DHR2 and 2.5 DHF would sell really well I think. Why some of their most popular Minions don't come in a DD casing is beyond me.

They're also releasing a lot of MaxxGrip tires with EXO casings. If you're riding requires MaxxGrip compound then you probably need more protection/support then an EXO casing provides. Maybe they're waiting to see how well the EXO+ casing sells. I could see them ditching some EXO options for EXO+ in the future.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    They're also releasing a lot of MaxxGrip tires with EXO casings. If you're riding requires MaxxGrip compound then you probably need more protection/support then an EXO casing provides.
    Here, where wet, slippery, diagonal roots are common I need all the grip I can get, but don't need the extra protection, especially in wet weather when speeds are slower.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Assguy 29 x 2.5 WT in DD is <100g lighter vs the current DH casing.

WTF Maxxis!!!

At least I can get a DHF Maxx Grip EXO at 1060g. Looks like that'll be my new front tire. I'll save the Assguy for dh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Here, where wet, slippery, diagonal roots are common I need all the grip I can get, but don't need the extra protection, especially in wet weather when speeds are slower.
    Yeah, I guess I can see that in places like the UK. I was thinking more about cornering and braking force since that compound is mainly used for DH tires. I haven't ridden an EXO+ tire yet but I'd think the few grams difference wouldn't be noticeable, especially with such a soft compound. To me MaxxGrip w/EXO+ makes more sense on paper but I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    WTB Bridger.
    The Bridger is way to heavy for a 27.5x3.0. I better stock up on Highroller II 27.5x3.0s, since they are discontinued.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The Bridger is way to heavy for a 27.5x3.0. I better stock up on Highroller II 27.5x3.0s, since they are discontinued.
    Do yourself a favor and try the Rekon+ and you won't miss it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    Do yourself a favor and try the Rekon+ and you won't miss it.
    The HR II 3.0 is huge. I've never see the Rekon 2.8 but I don't see how it could be even close. The Minion 2.8 has to be better than the Rekon. The HR II 3.0 is more like a fat bike tire. Ill look into it but I prefer 3.0s in 27.5.

Asswipe
    Save the 29x3" tires. I can't believe they discontinued them A. so quickly, and B. all together. Even if they're not strong sellers Maxxis already has all the R&D, startup costs, molds, and production stuff done and paid for. It can't cost much to do a few runs per year/as needed. (only talking about the Minion and Recon)
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The HR II 3.0 is huge. I've never see the Rekon 2.8 but I don't see how it could be even close. The Minion 2.8 has to be better than the Rekon. The HR II 3.0 is more like a fat bike tire. Ill look into it but I prefer 3.0s in 27.5.
    I don't really blame you for wanting the height, but I'm honestly so impressed with my Rekons for the terrain here. I wanted to try another tire and seriously considered a Minion in front, but the Rekons really do the job; I don't need a chunkier tire on the front anymore!

It may just be placebo, though. I've set some PRs not really pushing the speed too much, but if there's a difference, it's nothing huge. The confidence and feel on the bike, though, I can say has been boosted, perhaps by having relieved my pocket of some money.

Perpetual Hack
    Still no 26" 2.4wt DHR2 DH dual compound.

Meh.
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin