mtbr member
    May 2012

Maxxis 2.6 Recon front and 2.4 Ardent in the back for paranoid rider on a 29er?

The title just about says it all. I like going fast but am a coward going over rocks bigger than 3 or 4 inches high. I also go pretty slow around tight downhill corners. I would like to improve over rocks and in corners and I'm wondering if the big Redon and Ardent would help and if they would work together ok.

I have been riding with 2.35 Ikons front and back and they were nice and fast. I kept them at about 20 lbs so they were cabable of rolling over stuff. I'm just bad at keeping my momentum up and "Goin for it". I think the bigger tires with bigger knobs might help.

My excuses are I started mt biking when I was 62 and now I am 67 but I believe I am still capable of improving.

Most of my rocky challenges are in the Sierras around Tahoe, mostly near Truckee.

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by dugt; 06-22-2018 at 07:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dugt View Post
    The title just about says it all. I like going fast but am a coward going over rocks bigger than 3 or 4 inches high. I also go pretty slow around tight downhill corners. I would like to improve over rocks and in corners and I'm wondering if the big Redon and Ardent would help and if they would work together ok.

I have been riding with 3.5 Ikons front and back and they were nice and fast. I kept them at about 20 lbs so they were cabable of rolling over stuff. I'm just bad at keeping my momentum up and "Goin for it". I think the bigger tires with bigger knobs might help.

My excuses are I started mt biking when I was 62 and now I am 67 but I believe I am still capable of improving.

Most of my rocky challenges are in the Sierras around Tahoe, mostly near Truckee.

Thanks for any advice.
    Do you mean 2.35" (Vs. 3.5) Ikons?
    I don't see why that combo wouldn't work. Give it a try.
    How wide are your rims?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry, I did mean I've been using 2.35 Ikons. I corrected my original post.

My rims are 30mm internal width so I think they should be good with 2.6 width tires.

Two more things:
    a. My bike is a hardtail so that is why I would like a bigger rear tire.
    b. I'm not even close to cornering hard enough for the front tire to slide out before the rear tire so I don't need a significantly smaller rear tire for that reason.

mtbr member
    I would ride a 2.35 ikon on the rear over a 2.4 ardent on any terrain any day.

The ikon is wonderful. Ardent below average. Ikon rolls faster and has more grip.

Anyway if you want something fast with grip at any lean angle try something like a vittoria barzo.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    No opinion on tires, but go get 'em, man, and good on 'ya. I'm about to turn 60, and you've encouraged me.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2017 Yeti SB4.5c, stock, except for a Wolf 28T oval chainring

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks everyone.

I rode with a new 2.4 Ardent up front it felt slow compared to the worn out Ikon that it replaced. Do new tires get faster because riding on them loosens up the sidewall?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaldedDogCO View Post
    No opinion on tires, but go get 'em, man, and good on 'ya. I'm about to turn 60, and you've encouraged me.

Mark

Don't let your age slow you down. You can still build muscle and get the benefits of exercise until a health issue slows you down.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I would ride a 2.35 ikon on the rear over a 2.4 ardent on any terrain any day.

The ikon is wonderful. Ardent below average. Ikon rolls faster and has more grip.

Anyway if you want something fast with grip at any lean angle try something like a vittoria barzo.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Except the Ardent is tougher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Don't let your age slow you down. You can still build muscle and get the benefits of exercise until a health issue slows you down.
    Yeah, I'm actually a gym rat, and workout or ride pretty much every day. But I'm writing this with ice my bionic ankle, which has cost me more than a car... :-)

Mark

2017 Yeti SB4.5c, stock, except for a Wolf 28T oval chainring

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Have the 29er Rekon 2.6 front and Ikon 2.35 rear installed, so far so good. Pleanty of grip for trail riding, a few more details here
    https://youtu.be/1wbMeIGJ1Hk
    2019 Yeti SB100
    2016 Transition Smuggler

SPECIALizED
    Quote Originally Posted by mevnet View Post
    Have the 29er Rekon 2.6 front and Ikon 2.35 rear installed, so far so good. Pleanty of grip for trail riding, a few more details here
    https://youtu.be/1wbMeIGJ1Hk
    Running the same combo here. The Rekon has a little too much rolling resistance on my bigger rides but it rolls over anything.

Barely in control
    If you are out for fitness, rolling resistance is maybe a 2 of 10 in importance. If you give up rr for traction then it is safer and you get a good workout.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm out for fitness but I also like to keep up with my friends. Also, my bike is geared a little too high for me and maybe lower rr helps keep rpms up on climbs. On the other hand, maybe during slow climbs, the speed is so slow that rr is insignificant compared to f...ing gravity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm out for fitness but I also like to keep up with my friends. Also, my bike is geared a little too high for me and maybe lower rr helps keep rpms up on climbs. On the other hand, maybe during slow climbs, the speed is so slow that rr is insignificant compared to f...ing gravity.
    Maxxis has released a Rekon in a 2.4WT.It has a 60tpi casing with MaxTerra rubber that makes a great match with the 2.6 120 tpi in front.

It is 2.39 on a i30 rim @ 18 psi after riding it for the last week and I think it is a better match than the Ikon grip wise and not much slower.

Btw,I just turned 65 and am still racing XC and started up with enduro the last 2 years.A little more careful these days just because I don't want to miss out on riding with a bad injury but still having fun.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by joecx View Post
    Maxxis has released a Rekon in a 2.4WT.It has a 60tpi casing with MaxTerra rubber that makes a great match with the 2.6 120 tpi in front.

It is 2.39 on a i30 rim @ 18 psi after riding it for the last week and I think it is a better match than the Ikon grip wise and not much slower.

Btw,I just turned 65 and am still racing XC and started up with enduro the last 2 years.A little more careful these days just because I don't want to miss out on riding with a bad injury but still having fun.
    That new 2.4 Recon sounds perfect. I hope I can get one soon. Googling didn't find one for sale yet.

Still having fun is the important part!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joecx View Post

Maxxis publicized this tire 9 months ago, but still can't find it on any retailers site or even their own Shop Maxxis site yet? Where is it released to the public?
    2019 SB130
    2019 SB100
    2018 Followingv2
    2017 SB5
    2016 SB55
    2016 Wreckoning
    2016 SB45
    2015 SB6
    2015 Following

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Maxxis says the Rekon 29" x 2.4 tires are at distributors in the USA and they recommended I ask a LBS to order one so I did. They will have it in a day or two. I'll have a 2.6 Rekon up front and a 2.4 Recon in the rear (so to speak). The Rekon looks like a better front tire than rear tire for me but I don't know of a better option for my 30mm inner width rim.

Maxxis said my 2.4 Ardent won't keep its designed shape on my big rims. Previously I had 2.35 Ikon that should have had the same problem on the same wide rims but they seemed ok. It is likely that I am not good enough and not aggressive enough to notice a difference.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexit View Post
    Maxxis publicized this tire 9 months ago, but still can't find it on any retailers site or even their own Shop Maxxis site yet? Where is it released to the public?
    Maxxis said it will be on their site soon and my LBS confirmed that his distributor has them and one is on the way.
    Last edited by dugt; 06-25-2018 at 03:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hey Dugt, I have been using a Rekon 2.6 dual ply in the front and an Ardent 2.4 dual ply in the back on my Yeti SB5 which is 27.5. I also have 30mm DT Swiss 481 rims. I have loved this combo. I have taken it over all kinds of terrain. Rocky, techy, Pisgah NC rides and smoother XC type trails and the combo does great. Coming down super tech especially wet yes a DHF type tire up front would be better and there are faster rollers on the smoother terrain. But I have hardly ever lost grip with this combo and I can cover a lot of ground quickly. I have demoed some other bikes like the Yeti SB5.5 with the DHF and Aggressor combo, and they do grip a little better but after an hour of riding I could feel the drag compared to my SB5 with the Rekon/Ardent combo. My Ardent is just about at the end of its life and I was planning on trying something else on the rear but I really have no complaints. By the way zero flats in over a year of some pretty rough riding. In my opinion the dual ply exo casing may be a little tougher and stiffer than the 120tpi casing. But it does weigh just a little more. I run 18 to 19psi on the Rekon and about 23 on the Ardent. And the Ardent tread looks great on the 30mm rim. Not too square or too round. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Maxxis said it will be on their site soon and my LBS confirmed that his distributor has them and one is on the way.
    Oops, my LBS just called and said their distributor doesn't have the Rekon 29x2.4 tires yet.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Spur11 View Post
    Hey Dugt, I have been using a Rekon 2.6 dual ply in the front and an Ardent 2.4 dual ply in the back on my Yeti SB5 which is 27.5. I also have 30mm DT Swiss 481 rims. I have loved this combo. I have taken it over all kinds of terrain. Rocky, techy, Pisgah NC rides and smoother XC type trails and the combo does great. Coming down super tech especially wet yes a DHF type tire up front would be better and there are faster rollers on the smoother terrain. But I have hardly ever lost grip with this combo and I can cover a lot of ground quickly. I have demoed some other bikes like the Yeti SB5.5 with the DHF and Aggressor combo, and they do grip a little better but after an hour of riding I could feel the drag compared to my SB5 with the Rekon/Ardent combo. My Ardent is just about at the end of its life and I was planning on trying something else on the rear but I really have no complaints. By the way zero flats in over a year of some pretty rough riding. In my opinion the dual ply exo casing may be a little tougher and stiffer than the 120tpi casing. But it does weigh just a little more. I run 18 to 19psi on the Rekon and about 23 on the Ardent. And the Ardent tread looks great on the 30mm rim. Not too square or too round. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for taking the time to write. I'm not surprised the Ardent works well for you. I'm still going to try to find a Wide Trail tire for the back because I'm sure it is at least theoretically better and I need all the help I can get.

Today I replaced the 2.4 Ardent up front with a 2.6 Rekon. I still have an old 2.35 Ikon on the back. If I can't find a 2.4 Rekon for the rear soon, I will put the Ardent on the back and ride it until I get one. If I do that and eventually replace the Ardent with a Rekon, I bet I don't notice much difference. If I was poor I would go with the Ardent but I can afford a Redon and I only have about 30 years left to live.

mtbr member
    Iíve run a 2.6 Rekon(f) & 2.4 Ardent(r) on my hardtail. This combo gave me more confidence on rocky(i know itís all relative) dhís, faster dh times per strava, & comparable but nonetheless slower climb times compared to smaller tire comboís Iíve used. I ride w/a group of guys who are relatively strong climbers & to me, the 2.6 rekon/2.4 ardent combo felt sluggish & simply not as ďfunĒ, despite faster dh times. Currently running 2.4 Ardent/2.35 Ikon.
    Pivot Les 29
    Yeti SB4.5c

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I hate ardents, huge vague zone on then that is sketchy as. If you're paranoid then I'd avoid them. Try a Nobby Nic, most predictable tyre I've ever had.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I hate ardents, huge vague zone on then that is sketchy as. If you're paranoid then I'd avoid them. Try a Nobby Nic, most predictable tyre I've ever had.
    My wife (age 65) and I (age 66) both run 27.5x2.6" NoNi's TL Addix front and back on SB5's and love them. If you can get a 2.6" of any flavor on the back, I'd advise you to do so. On 2.6" Rocket Ron's I got 7 or 8 climb PR's last summer over 2.4/2.2 tires, but the NoNi's have better traction and are only very slightly slower (actually got another PR yesterday on them on a 25 minute climb segment).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I was pleasantly surprised how well the Ardent Race performs (as a rear). Fast tire with more grip than I expected. I don't think I would run it on the front, but good on the rear for me and my trails (hard, loose over hard, rocky).

Having a nice day!
    I run an Ardent Race 2.35 on the front of my hardtail with a Mezcal 2.35 on the rear. The Ardent Race has been surprisingly capable as a front tire on my XC hardtail.

mtbr member
    Oops, my LBS just called and said their distributor doesn't have the Rekon 29x2.4 tires yet.
    Item #: 91773-234273
    Description: Maxxis Recon 3C/EXO TR 29" Tire - 29 x 2.4" (Folding Bead)
    Quantity: 1 @ $64.00

Ordered mine from Universal Cycles yesterday. I only hope it's the right size because I can't find the Rekon 29x2.4 anywhere else.
    2019 SB130
    2019 SB100
    2018 Followingv2
    2017 SB5
    2016 SB55
    2016 Wreckoning
    2016 SB45
    2015 SB6
    2015 Following

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexit View Post
    Item #: 91773-234273
    Description: Maxxis Recon 3C/EXO TR 29" Tire - 29 x 2.4" (Folding Bead)
    Quantity: 1 @ $64.00

Ordered mine from Universal Cycles yesterday. I only hope it's the right size because I can't find the Rekon 29x2.4 anywhere else.
    I just called Universal Cycle and they said they have 60 of them in four different warehouses in the US. I just bought one and might get it tomorrow.

Thanks and one rep to Apexit.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    According to shop.maxxis.com, the 29 x 2.4 Rekon is only available in 60 tpi. The 2.25 and 2.6 are both available in 120 tpi but not the 2.4. Universal Cycles website says it is 120 tpi but the 2.4 Rekon that I got today says 60 tpi.

Fortunately, at least for me, the 2.4 Rekon is a Wide Trail tire for rims that have an inner width of 30 to 35mm.
    Last edited by dugt; 06-28-2018 at 05:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Rekon 29x2.4 are up on Maxxis site, I just snagged a few in 29 and 27.5. They have both DC and 3C in 29 and 27.5. Hopefully these will be a good in-between size for 25-30mm rims.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Rekon 29x2.4 are up on Maxxis site, I just snagged a few in 29 and 27.5. They have both DC and 3C in 29 and 27.5. Hopefully these will be a good in-between size for 25-30mm rims.

The Wide Tail (WT) tires are best on 30-35mm inner width rims. The Maxxis websit doesn't mention which of these tires are WT and which are not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Arenít the WT versions very heavy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Wide Tail (WT) tires are best on 30-35mm inner width rims. The Maxxis websit doesn't mention which of these tires are WT and which are not.
    Anything Maxxis does in 2.5 or 2.6 is considered "WT", regardless of whether or not it says "WT". Some of their 2.4 tires are also "WT" IIRC, such as the DHRII 2.4. But the 2.4 tires that are "WT" have the designation "WT". Clear as mud?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Arenít the WT versions very heavy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, not always. Some are almost the same weight as their 2.35 counterparts.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    .....But the 2.4 tires that are "WT" have the designation "WT". Clear as mud?
    Do you mean, the Maxxis 2.4 tires that are WT have WT designation on the tire? My 2.4 Rekons have WT on the tire but the Maxxis website and the shop.maxxis.com website do not mention that the Rekon 2.4 are WT and they don't mention that the Ardent 2.4 is not WT. Is it easier to make a good tire than a correct website or visa versa?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yep, some 2.4ís are WT, some arenít. ALL 2.5 and 2.6 are WT. But the site doesnít always say which ones are/arenít.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know which provides a plusher ride - Rekon or Minion?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have been riding with 2.35 Ikons front and back and they were nice and fast. I kept them at about 20 lbs so they were cabable of rolling over stuff. I'm just bad at keeping my momentum up and "Goin for it". I think the bigger tires with bigger knobs might help.

Thanks for any advice.
    That reads like you need some bike handling work as much as anything. Sure some tires work better and I've become very fond of Bontrager SE tires but I share 6 bikes with wife and two kids so all that time switching it up is a reminder that you have to get comfy with the bike moving around under you as much as gear can help.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    May 2012
    this is the OP. The 2.6 re-cons upfront with the 2.4 re-cons in the back are working well for me. Anything the least bit technical is easier and that has improved my confidence. Now I am riding more and walking less.