Mavic UST Valve Length- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mavic UST Valve Length

Anyone know the length of the Mavic UST valves? I know that Stan's Notubes makes 35mm and 44mm versions.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I actually had the valve stems off of my Mavic Crossmax ST wheels off last night as I am preparing to mount a new tire in the rear when it comes in the mail. I decided to change both valve stems to Stan's for the ease of adding sealant. I got the 35mm ones and they are longer than what was on the rims before. I can't recall how much longer (maybe 10mm?). The 35s look fine to me. 44s would be kinda long. I think they market those as "road" valve stems.

dwt
    mtbr member
    IME, the 35mm stems are tough to fit pump head on even with normal size rims. I always use 44mm
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockthebeef View Post
    I actually had the valve stems off of my Mavic Crossmax ST wheels off last night as I am preparing to mount a new tire in the rear when it comes in the mail. I decided to change both valve stems to Stan's for the ease of adding sealant. I got the 35mm ones and they are longer than what was on the rims before. I can't recall how much longer (maybe 10mm?). The 35s look fine to me. 44s would be kinda long. I think they market those as "road" valve stems.
    I agree with you and actually planned on going for the Stan's version. I have Ksyrium SL wheels on my road bike that I wanted to use 35mm Stan's valves for. I know the 44's will work fine and that the Mavic valves are almost impossible to use (I have done it) because the rims aren't UST. Just trying to get some feedback on whether 35mm is a good enough size.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

Boom bap ambassador
    I just measured mine (Mavic) and the portion from the top edge of the rim to the top of the valve is 26 mm. If you throw on the Schrader adapter you get roughly another 20 mm.

When I first started using the UST valves I thought they would be too short and a pain but that hasn't really been the case as I haven't had any real issues getting a pump head on them.

Boom bap ambassador
    Top end as in the business end that you actually use with a pump

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by silentG View Post
    When I first started using the UST valves I thought they would be too short and a pain but that hasn't really been the case as I haven't had any real issues getting a pump head on them.
    Thanks for the response. My biggest complaint on them is the fact that they are not threaded so under high pressures (~100psi) the pump head slips right off.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

Members who have read this thread: 1