mavic question- Mtbr.com

Thread: mavic question

mtbr member

mavic question

I just got a new set of the crossmax 29 wheels and have a few questions:
    1) if i am going to run tubes, do i need a rim strip on these wheels?
    2) im confused after reading the instructions, which are some of the worst ive ever seen, do i need a small black ring behind my cassette (10 speed sram mtb) on the freewheel body? All they came with is the place protector ring, is that what they mean?

Thanks for any help.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    1) No. You don't need a rim strip on those wheels whether you're using tubes or not.
    2) Not sure, but you can try to install the cassette, and if it fits, you should be good.

55rpmasher
    The black ring is a protection device just in case you throw the chain off the top cog of the cassette. When this happens with any wheel it usually requires some replacement spokes as they tend to get chewed up bad. The black ring should prevent the chain form getting far enough down to cause any damage to them. This is important as the spokes are like $15 a spoke. It has nothing to do with which cassette you use.

Sidenote, get some triflow lube and use it on the the freehub body fairly frequently next to the hub. I got this tip from the guys at my shop as the freehub uses a bushing. Unlubed it will heat up and can blow up your freehub and the hub body.

As well these wheels once broken in will need to be retensioned by a shop with the right tools. They tend the need a bed in period.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by 55rpmasher
    The black ring is a protection device just in case you throw the chain off the top cog of the cassette. When this happens with any wheel it usually requires some replacement spokes as they tend to get chewed up bad. The black ring should prevent the chain form getting far enough down to cause any damage to them.
    He specifically said it's not the pie plate/spoke protector. What he's talking about is a spacer required with some cassettes.
    OP- install your cassette and if it doesn't snug up with the lockring, use the spacer.

This is important as the spokes are like $15 a spoke. It has nothing to do with which cassette you use.
    Mavic spokes are typically $5 each and his question has everything to do with the cassette.

Sidenote, get some triflow lube and use it on the the freehub body fairly frequently next to the hub. I got this tip from the guys at my shop as the freehub uses a bushing. Unlubed it will heat up and can blow up your freehub and the hub body.
    Find one person who has "blown up" their freehub due to overheating a plastic bushing. If your LBS really told you that, they're morons.

As well these wheels once broken in will need to be retensioned by a shop with the right tools. They tend the need a bed in period.
    Where do you get this stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Members who have read this thread: 0