Mavic Crossmax SL- Mtbr.com
    Your killing my Strava

Mavic Crossmax SL

I have a chance to pick up a set of Crossmax for $275..worth it? They are going on my 07 Stumpjumper FSR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyl26 View Post
    I have a chance to pick up a set of Crossmax for $275..worth it? They are going on my 07 Stumpjumper FSR
    The short answer is YES. That being said I picked up a used pair of crossmax this year and although I love them they have required more attention then any other wheel I have ever owned. They stay true. They ride well. They are light and super fast. The issue is the free hub bushings wear pretty readily. I replaced mine twice this season. I do think the first time was because I used regular wet chain lube instead of mineral oil (recommended) when I lubricated the freewheel body . Anyway I digress. As long as you are willing to accept that you will likely put regular money into maintaining them go for it
    This link will be helpful to you as you will probably need it in near future. You will know because it will feel like your rear cassette has a lot of side to side play after it is installed.

MAVIC CROSSMAX FREEHUB BUSHING .003 OVERSIZE | eBay

good luck!

mtbr member
    Agree with Teigasdad 100%. Well maybe 99% because I've never gone through 2 sets of bushings in a year. I do use the oversized replacement bushing to cut down on the cassette wobble. But it seems like I get more like a season and half out of one bushing. I do the freehub maintenance 2 or 3 times a year and I use Pedros Syn Lube Road. Another downfall to the Mavic Crossmax is if you ever do need replacement spokes they are expensive. Useful videos showing how to do the necessary freehub maintenance below. It is on the road wheel, but the process is exactly the same as for the Crossmax.
    I can't seem to get them to embed properly, so here are the links.

RogueMechanic Mavic Freehub Body pt.1 - YouTube
    RogueMechanic Mavic Freehub Body pt.2 - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyl26 View Post
    Great wheel...

but check closely around the valve stem hole, for any signs of damage etc...drilling out for a scheader tube will cause problems with the rim...

A Xmax SLR does not require any more maintaince than any other wheel.