Mavic Crossmax- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mavic Crossmax

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Mavic Crossmax

I picked up a used bike cheap. The rear rim (Mavic 317) took a good hit and I need to take it to the LBS and see if it's able to be trued. The front rim is an older Mavic CrossMax with the flat bladed spokes. From what I've read, the Mavic rear hubs are problematic and require a lot of maintenance, but not too many reports of issues with the fronts. I'm trying to decide which way to go with this. The rear rim may need to be replaced, so it would make sense to pick up another CrossMax for the rear. I'm kind of anal about having matching rims. What would you do?

mtbr member
    Consider replacing the rear wheel with a new wheel, and maybe a matching rim for rebuilding the front to coordinate, if that makes you feel better. If you have the budget, consider a new wheelset from BWW, or wherever you can get the best deal.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmark View Post
    I picked up a used bike cheap. The rear rim (Mavic 317) took a good hit and I need to take it to the LBS and see if it's able to be trued. The front rim is an older Mavic CrossMax with the flat bladed spokes. From what I've read, the Mavic rear hubs are problematic and require a lot of maintenance, but not too many reports of issues with the fronts. I'm trying to decide which way to go with this. The rear rim may need to be replaced, so it would make sense to pick up another CrossMax for the rear. I'm kind of anal about having matching rims. What would you do?
    Mavic hubs are fine the maintaince takes about 5 minutes to do...

Work with the LBS you will probably get a quick cheap fix...

If not buy new....consider mavic and others

Take Chances

crossmax

I have a pair from 2008 that I am thinking of getting rid of. I replaced the bearings and the cassette hub in 2010 then shelved them when I got a pair of Easton Havens.. QR front and rear.

let me know if your interested, $300
    Cadmanrjm

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cadmanrjm View Post
    I have a pair from 2008 that I am thinking of getting rid of. I replaced the bearings and the cassette hub in 2010 then shelved them when I got a pair of Easton Havens.. QR front and rear.

let me know if your interested, $300
    I'll keep that in mind. I really only need a rear though.

Members who have read this thread: 0