mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Magic Mary/Hans Dampf Addix vs DHF/Aggressor?

So, what is the best all around set-up for a new Santa Cruz Bronson?

Terrain is typical NY/NJ/CT with fun rocks and roots.

Iíve always like my Maxxis set-up of a DHF/DHRII or Agressor out back, EXO. But saving 100g per tire with Schwalbe Snakeskin sounds good and the reviews on the new Addix stuff seem promising.

So, grip and rolling resistance all around, who wins???

Keep on Rockin...
    Tuned in.

In the past there was no doubt in my mind that Schwalbies rolled way faster as a back tire when I used the Pacestar compound. Problem was it gripped like a plastic pop bottle on wet rocks. More than once my rear end did a full 180 spin out on a sharp, wet turn. If they gripped better I'd consider the new flavor. As confidence inspiring as Maxxis tires are, those Minions don't roll fast unless pointed down hill.

Out spokin'
    Try the new Addix soft if you've got slippery rocks and roots like we've got out here in Oregon. I'm running Schwalbe Magic Marys F&R and I love this tire for our lucious mud as well as gripping the babyheads & mud snakes.

Whatever you do, don't get the DH casing unless you're actually doing DH runs. It feels like a solid rubber tire compared to the more supple lighter weight casing -- which ain't light, BTW. But it's good. The soft compound is key.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

I'm with stupid
    If you are a tire cutter then stay well clear of the snake skin. The 100 gram savings is taken out of the durability of the tire. If you never get flats or have can run silly tire pressures and do not get rim strikes or feel the tire rolling then snake skin will be ok, but if you are not then the snake skin might be too flimsy. I personally do not know anyone fast or aggressive on the going down part that can get away with the snake skin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    If you are a tire cutter then stay well clear of the snake skin. The 100 gram savings is taken out of the durability of the tire. If you never get flats or have can run silly tire pressures and do not get rim strikes or feel the tire rolling then snake skin will be ok, but if you are not then the snake skin might be too flimsy. I personally do not know anyone fast or aggressive on the going down part that can get away with the snake skin.
    This. Where the OP is riding, I would steer away from Snakeskin at all cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Magic Mary front and Aggressor 2.5 rear. The snakeskin is fine on the front, it's as strong in my experience if not stronger than exo. Get the aggressor in Double Down if you can and you're laughing. The aggressor rolls noticeably better than the Hans Dampf and doesn't give up much in grip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Magic Mary front and Aggressor 2.5 rear. The snakeskin is fine on the front, it's as strong in my experience if not stronger than exo. Get the aggressor in Double Down if you can and you're laughing. The aggressor rolls noticeably better than the Hans Dampf and doesn't give up much in grip.

Same and I'm in eastern PA. Oddly enough the MM/Aggressor combo is damn near perfect match size wise and work perfect together. I trashed out a HD pretty quickly even in winter conditions previously. I did have good luck with a Bonti SE4 last winter though.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    1 vote here for the MM/HD combo. Don't know if you all have ridden the new HD but it's a huge improvement over the old tread. It's not quite as fast rolling as the aggressor but it's got grip for days out back. Addix is for real

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    1 vote here for the MM/HD combo. Don't know if you all have ridden the new HD but it's a huge improvement over the old tread. It's not quite as fast rolling as the aggressor but it's got grip for days out back. Addix is for real
    How would you compare the feel and sidewalk of the Snakeskin tires vs EXO?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Havenít tried the HD but Iíve tried both MM Addix Soft and DHF in 2.6 format up front. Iíd say rolling resistance is about the same but DHF has better cornering grip in dry, loose over hard conditions. MM works really well over wet rocks and roots. Been able to run both at low pressures (16-17 psi) on 30mm rim without issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Very condition depending. I'll say in my jagged rock dry conditions, I am on a 2.6 Butcher up front and the new HD Soft rear with a Pepi noodle installed. I ride some really jagged rocks and I've had no problems. They claim the new Snakeskin is tougher than the old one. Is it the rider, the products, or just blind luck. I use to tear a lot of tires when I first began riding but that hasn't happened in years even though I'm much faster.

I really like this set up over the DHF/ Aggr set up. It gives up a little traction but has much better RR. I have an Eliminator that's going up front next but I'm staying on the HD for the rear as I really like it.

The other thing I'd add is that when I was on a 27.5" bike, I needed wider tires than my 29ers need, to feel comfortable, around 2.5- 2.6s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakillerta View Post
    I used to ride Minions with Exo for years, and feel that the Snakeskin on the MM/HD2 is a little more supple feeling. Not too supple like folding over in the corners, but a little more cush. But that could be because the Schwalbe tires are more balloon like to begin with. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you. I haven't had any problems with casing durability either, and they have been through multiple Downieville/Tahoe trips. The weight savings over Maxxis is real too, my HD weighed in at 820 or so.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Riding MM soft/HD soft. Would say that the Exo casing feels better. But the difference is not huge. RoRa compared to Minion SS is another story...

2018 Ibis Ripmo
    2016 Transition TransAM 275

Perpetual Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgo View Post
    RoRa compared to Minion SS is another story...
    Can you elaborate?
    I run a MM/RR in the summer and am interested in knowing how the SS compares to the RR.

Cheers!
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Can you elaborate?
    I run a MM/RR in the summer and am interested in knowing how the SS compares to the RR.

Cheers!
    Minion SS is much more damped and supple. Much better grip also. RoRa requires higher pressure to avoid pinchflats, high enough to make bounce around. Don't like it at all.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakillerta View Post
    I like the EXO better it feels more damped at high speeds. The snake skin feels more pillowy at slower speeds but when you start to get going faster you have to start adding air to stop rim strikes and rolling over. At that point it starts to get quite bouncy. I also found the snake skin MUCH more pressure sensitive than EXO. if your pressure is off a couple pounds either way grip and ride suffer a lot on the snake skin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Minion SS is much more damped and supple. Much better grip also. RoRa requires higher pressure to avoid pinchflats, high enough to make bounce around. Don't like it at all.
    Last summer I used a RoRa Apex 2.6" on the back and it has more sidewall support than Snakeskin without being as heavy and stiff as SG, but I don't know what casing options there are for the new HD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    Last summer I used a RoRa Apex 2.6" on the back and it has more sidewall support than Snakeskin without being as heavy and stiff as SG, but I don't know what casing options there are for the new HD.
    With Apex, Snakeskin might actually be better then Exo. But in 29" there is only Apex in 2,6 width :/
    Would like both MM and HD 29x2,35 with Apex. Might even give RoRa 29x2,35 another try if they released a version with Apex and soft rubber.

Dream it, Do it.
    ou might try running a DH-F front with a Nobby Nic rear tire to get faster rolling, though you would need to mix tire brands. This is a comparison of the Nobby Nic versus the DH-R as rear tires: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...tcherpurgatory

I'm not sure about the current Hans Dampf, but the previous Hans Dampf was not a particularly fast rolling tire.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Never tried DHF\DHR2 (maybe will give them a try next season), but i love the Magic Mary SuperGravity Soft (front)\Hans Dampf TrailStar (rear) combo for wet and muddy conditions in the Alps.

mtbr member
    I am currently on DHF up front and DHR II in the rear, coming from an DHF/Agressor and early Ardent/Agressor setup on my Rocky (EXO and 3C-Maxx-Terra).
    So far the DHF/DHRII is the best allround all year setup for me. The Agressor may roll faster, but was a bit too fast / slippery in corners (dry) for me and is not really useable in wet conditions at all. The DHF is rolling quite fast, providing very good control and speed (cornering). The DHRII is providing a high amount of traction and still rolling pretty good. Both tires just feel so solid, stable and controllable even when pushing for the limits. Never let me down or put me suddenly in unexpected situations.
    The Highroller delivers even more traction in wet conditions, but with some penalty in summer. The Ardent is too sketchy under harsh conditions, even the 2.4 version.

Speaking of Schwalbe: Hans Dampf 2.3 was a great tire on my old Kona, all year long with medium to good traction and rolling quite good - depending on the tire pressure, solid tire for muddy days, but cornering performance was not that impressive (stability).

cheers
    ​Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 2016 Custom Built

mtbr member
    Don't forget Maxxis Minions have rubber compound options!
    My 2016 Trance came with cheap Shwalbe Nobby Nix and going to Minions was a huge increase in grip. I'm slow going uphill no matter what tire I have, so for me its about grip which is a safety thing and a fun thing.

Currently on 2.5 DHF MaxGrip front and 2.35 DHF MaxTerra in the back.

If I could try the new Schwalbe's for $40-$50 I would, but I'm not about to drop +$80

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    With Apex, Snakeskin might actually be better then Exo. But in 29" there is only Apex in 2,6 width :/
    Would like both MM and HD 29x2,35 with Apex. Might even give RoRa 29x2,35 another try if they released a version with Apex and soft rubber.
    The Super Gravity has Apex.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    The Super Gravity has Apex.
    SG for normal riding seems a little to much. Wasn't that clear I guess. Snakeskin with Apex and 2,35 width. Should be fairly durable and offer decent damping and support yet still keeping it at sub 1kg.

mtbr member
    Ran a SG Vertstar MM in front before for trail riding. Sucked on the ups but it was minty on the downs. How's the new compound that replaced the Vertstar holding up and is it available in the snakeskin carcass?
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    SG for normal riding seems a little to much. Wasn't that clear I guess. Snakeskin with Apex and 2,35 width. Should be fairly durable and offer decent damping and support yet still keeping it at sub 1kg.
    That would a perfect rear tire for trail riding, or front for park riding, imo.

mtbr member
    To be able to chose the tire compound is a nice advantage Maxxis offers, MaxxTerra seems to be the best choice if you wanna down and up.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    3C Maxxterra is a life suck as a back tire. I swapped out a front DHF 3C 29x2.5 to the back and while the grip was great the rolling resistance was truly awful. Dual is a much better choice as a back tire if you have to climb at all.
    I now have a DHF 3C 29x2.6 exo 120tpi front tire and it is amazing. Volume is much larger than the 2.5. The height is 14mm taller and the knob width is about the same.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The general consensus here seems to be MM, but I have run both and felt like the MM lacked volume and, more importantly, was horrible on wet roots and rocks compared to DHF. I was pretty surprised how small the tire was on my 30mm IW rims, most reviews I read said it blew up to roughly the same size as the DHF 2.5WT (since Maxxis tires run small), but that was not my experience. It did marginally better in mud, but I think I'd have chosen a true mud tire if I was riding in those conditions.

Personally, though, I've gone from both of those to the new Vigilante 2.5 and feel it's better than both in all conditions. I think the DHF may have a leg up on tire wear, but everywhere else, the Vigilante seems to be better. It's got significantly more volume than both, the cornering grip is outstanding, but it seems to grab onto groups of wet roots and rocks better than any tire I've used. The only downside is the weight, it's marginally heavier than a DHF 2.5WT and significantly heavier than the MM 2.35, although the casing even in 'light' form seems fairly thick.

That and I've yet to find a rear that matches the traction of the front, while the front stays planted and in place, the rear tends to break loose noticeably sooner and it requires me to manage things a bit differently when conditions are bad. I can't fault the tire for that, though, more my bike which has limited options for tire clearance.

I haven't tried the new Hans Dampf yet, but I did get a chance to see one and it looks nice. Strangely, it was noticeably wider and higher volume than the MM that sat on the front. I measured the difference and it was something like 6mm wider knob to knob.

I typically run a DHR2 in the rear when it's wet or during the winter, Aggressor all other times, but I may be switching that up this year.

mtbr member
    Well, I didn't find the MAxxTerra "too" sticky, but I'm definitely no seconds hunter uphill.
    The DHR II is quite a nice tire and I do also enjoy the cornering performance during rest of the year.
    Tests say the new Hans Dampf is quite a good overall tire, so maybe that's your shot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've been running the new style HD as a rear for 3 months now, which is considerably longer than I usually get out of my tires.
    Thoroughly enjoyed it. Rolls real fast for what it is, traction is darn good (although not quite as sticky as some rear Minion options). Traction remained high even as it wore. Snakeskin held up great even through very nasty sharp rock gardens. Anyways I had broke some spokes today and since I was going to have to fight a tire noodle anyways, I took the time to install...exactly the same tire, which is something I rarely do.
    Magic Mary/Hans Dampf Addix vs DHF/Aggressor?-20190119_132620.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I've been running the new style HD as a rear for 3 months now, which is considerably longer than I usually get out of my tires.
    Thoroughly enjoyed it. Rolls real fast for what it is, traction is darn good (although not quite as sticky as some rear Minion options). Traction remained high even as it wore. Snakeskin held up great even through very nasty sharp rock gardens. Anyways I had broke some spokes today and since I was going to have to fight a tire noodle anyways, I took the time to install...exactly the same tire, which is something I rarely do.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Which compound is that?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.