M8 bolts with a GIANT face- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

M8 bolts with a GIANT face

I'm hoping to locate a set of bolts in M8 thread, similar to the Chris king fun bolts.

My current Industry 9 rear hub uses a much more flimsy looking bolt that requires a set of washers to mount, and I'd like to get rid of the washers, and get beefier bolts if possible.

If all fails, I guess I can go to a 10mm through Axle setup

mtbr member
    Hardware store, easy as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Hardware store, easy as that.
    I tired a few places, including mcmastercar, no one had a bolt similar to the ck fun bolts with an Allen head

mtbr member
    Not sure what fun bolts look like (too lazy to search), but I got the ones for my Hope Pro2 Trials hub from a local hardware store, strange that in Canada you can't find something similar. I assume you're looking for something similar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M8 bolts with a GIANT face-p1030879_md.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    bolts with integrated washers are called flange bolts

mtbr member
    Not sure what fun bolts look like (too lazy to search), but I got the ones for my Hope Pro2 Trials hub from a local hardware store, strange that in Canada you can't find something similar. I assume you're looking for something similar.
    I like the bolt you are using, but it still uses a washer setup. Regardless, they are beefier than the current bolts that I have.

This is what fun bolts look like:

Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    bolts with integrated washers are called flange bolts
    I searched for button head flange bolts, and they all look kinda wimpy as well, and only take a 5mm hex key.

I wonder if I'll be able to gain any stiffness by getting a through axle with the Hadley 10mm through bolt.

Another option is to have a machine shop fab up a set of bolts similar to CK fun bolts.

Thanks for the suggestions!

RIP Friendgirl
    The Hadley through bolt is what you want if regular getto bolts just won't do.

I've used both & now use the Hadley system on two bikes. Works great & uses a 6mm key.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I went for these bolts because the ones that came with the hub from Hope were button head and shallow as hell and wrung out easily. These bolts are nice and deep and work perfectly for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by macming View Post
    I like the bolt you are using, but it still uses a washer setup. Regardless, they are beefier than the current bolts that I have.

This is what fun bolts look like:

I searched for button head flange bolts, and they all look kinda wimpy as well, and only take a 5mm hex key.

I wonder if I'll be able to gain any stiffness by getting a through axle with the Hadley 10mm through bolt.

Another option is to have a machine shop fab up a set of bolts similar to CK fun bolts.

Thanks for the suggestions!

max_29
    I'm hoping to locate a set of bolts in M8 thread, similar to the Chris king fun bolts.

My current Industry 9 rear hub uses a much more flimsy looking bolt that requires a set of washers to mount, and I'd like to get rid of the washers, and get beefier bolts if possible.

If all fails, I guess I can go to a 10mm through Axle setup
    try here
    Titanium Bolts, Titanium Fasteners, Ti Nuts, Ti Accessories

i got them on my hope trial hub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max_29 View Post
    try here
    Titanium Bolts, Titanium Fasteners, Ti Nuts, Ti Accessories

i got them on my hope trial hub.
    Great source! Which one did you get? I think the biggest bolt is this: Titanium Hex Head
    Flange Bolts

But it doesn't seem like I can secure it with an allen key.

max_29
    i don't remember exactly which ones i got, it was a couple of yrs ago, i can check when i get home.

me thinks it's Non-Taper M8 - M8X30 or M8X35 and heads are for allen 8mm key.

max_29
    Great source! Which one did you get? I think the biggest bolt is this: Titanium Hex Head
    Flange Bolts

But it doesn't seem like I can secure it with an allen key.

got home and checked - for hope hub i ordered Taper Head M10x35 - 1.5 pitch
    could have gone with x40 like original ones, but x35 is a plenty.

mtbr member
    Turned out the bolt was a M10. I picked up a couple of the same bolts and they are actually beefier than the included I9 bolts. I have some epoxy I can use to glue a washer onto the bolt, so it might suffice for the time being.

These bolts are a bit heavier however, so I might try the ti bolts from the Canadian store for around $20/set shipped.

Thanks for everyone's help!

mtbr member
    Yeah, the bolts aren't light, but they're solid and I haven't had any issues, bolt head wrung out etc in over 3 years use. I'd also like to get the Ti bolts, but honestly saving weight there doesn't really mean jack, so I'd rather spend money else where to loose weight.
    Turned out the bolt was a M10. I picked up a couple of the same bolts and they are actually beefier than the included I9 bolts. I have some epoxy I can use to glue a washer onto the bolt, so it might suffice for the time being.

These bolts are a bit heavier however, so I might try the ti bolts from the Canadian store for around $20/set shipped.

Thanks for everyone's help!

mtbr member
    Yeah, the bolts aren't light, but they're solid and I haven't had any issues, bolt head wrung out etc in over 3 years use. I'd also like to get the Ti bolts, but honestly saving weight there doesn't really mean jack, so I'd rather spend money else where to loose weight.
    This is VERY true. However, the rest of my bike are relatively light, and I don't really have much else to improve upon besides getting a carbon frame, but I doubt I'll do that this year

got home and checked - for hope hub i ordered Taper Head M10x35 - 1.5 pitch
    could have gone with x40 like original ones, but x35 is a plenty.

How big is the allen key on the bolt head for the tapered version? It turns out my wheel also uses M10, but I prob only need 25mm of length at the most

max_29
    How big is the allen key on the bolt head for the tapered version? It turns out my wheel also uses M10, but I prob only need 25mm of length at the most
    allen key is 8mm. you'll need longer than 25mm, take also into account a thickness of a washer. my Hope came with serrated washers ~ 2mm thick. But my frame has track ends so those washers are a must there to keep an axle in place. If you have a regular dropouts, you might be ok without them.

these are the bolts:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    allen key is 8mm. you'll need longer than 25mm, take also into account a thickness of a washer. my Hope came with serrated washers ~ 2mm thick. But my frame has track ends so those washers are a must there to keep an axle in place. If you have a regular dropouts, you might be ok without them.

these are the bolts:

Excellent. 8mm is plenty sturdy

I9s have a stupid bolt on design. The factory bolts actually bottomed out before the wheel was tight, I had to cut them to make it work.

I just measured the existing bolts, and they are 22.5mm. So I guess I could go either way. 25 or 20mm.

Thanks!

Ming