Lost in Tubeless- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

New question here. Lost in Tubeless

Hello!

I got kinda lost in the whole Tubeless, Tubeless ready, UST versions and would like someone to point me in the right direction.

I recently got a new MTB with Tubeless ready (or so I think). After my 5th ride the tires went flat overnight (front and back). I opened the tires (which was kinda hard, they seemed to be glued on the sides) and found out there was a inner tube in there combined with dried up sealant. I googled alot but I got kinda lost in the tubeless versions.

What i found out so far:
    • I can re-use the tires, need to clean the dried up sealant with soap and water
    • The wheels are tubeless ready, no need to tape

My question is, how can I setup my wheels and tires the best? Do i need a kit with innertubes or can I just pour in sealant and will that be enough?

I got:
    Fulcrum Red Metal 3 26' wheels (Tubeless ready)
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph EVO tires

Thanks in advance for helping me.

Kind regards from the Netherlands.
    Last edited by TJRDU; 10-14-2015 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added info

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJRDU View Post
    Hello!

I recently got a new MTB with Tubeless ready (or so I think). After my 5th ride the tires went flat overnight (front and back). I opened the tires (which was kinda hard, they seemed to be glued on the sides) and found out there was a inner tube in there combined with dried up sealant. I googled alot but I got kinda lost in the tubeless versions.
    OK, based on your description, sounds like the bike was originally setup tubeless and then someone put tubes in. The tires were not glued on but stuck hard to the side of the rim beads because of the sealant.

Quote Originally Posted by TJRDU View Post
    What i found out so far:
    • I can re-use the tires, need to clean the dried up sealant with soap and water
    • The wheels are tubeless ready, no need to tape

My question is, how can I setup my wheels and tires the best? Do i need a kit with innertubes or can I just pour in sealant and will that be enough?

I got:
    Fulcrum Red Metal 3 26' wheels (Tubeless ready)
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph EVO tires

Thanks in advance for helping me.

Kind regards from the Netherlands.
    You don't need to clean the dried sealant. It can be helpful in re-sealing the tire should you go back to tubeless.

Your two options are to continue to use tubes or go tubeless.

Staying with tubes has pros and cons as you may have read.

To go to tubeless you will need to either get yourself some valve stems or some 20" tubes to set it up as ghetto tubless. You will also need the sealant. Your tires should be fine. You can "just" pour sealant in and go with that. There are a lot of youtube videos that can show how to set up your tubeless set up. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks gmats for the reply,

I'll get myself some valve stems and give Tubeless a go. Not really sure what you mean with 'ghetto tubless'.

I've seen the videos yes, i'll keep shaking and turning

Land of the 230+
    Are you sure they were tubes and not rubber rim strips?

https://static.jensonusa.com/images/...9/TU402Z04.jpg

Anyway, Ive had great luck using scotch 8896 strapping tape on amazon. I wrap the rims in 2 layers to cover up the spoke holes. Stab a hole in teh tape for the valve stem. Cut some valve stems out of old tubes, install in rim and tighten the lock ring. Mostly mount the tires, and add a couple of scoops of sealant, then pop the rest on. If the tires seal up tight against the base of the rim, its I wont even pull the valve cores to pop them on. If theyre a little loose and wont hold pressure, Ill remove the valve cores so the compressor flows air more quickly, and usually that's enough to get them to pop on. It may take some jostling around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hi Guitsboy, thanks for the reply.

I'm not really sure if they are tubes or rubber rim strips. Might be the rim strips.

As for my wheels they are tubeless ready and i do not need strapping tape.

What good are the rims for? It is like an extra layer of protection?

Land of the 230+
    Maybe the rim strips are what they call tubeless ready. Are the rims already taped up so sealant wont get into the spoke holes?

Some people prefer the rim strips, as they may add a little bit of help against burping a tire. They also increase the diameter of the base of the rim, if you have a tire that wont seal up easily.

I never found a need for them, so I don't run them myself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks that explains, thanks! The rims are not tapes but completely flat, there are no spoke holes. I'll give it a try without the rim stripes, see if it works!

FULCRUM Wheels - Products: Red Metal 3

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    That explains, thanks!

I got these: FULCRUM Wheels - Products: Red Metal 3

They are tubeless o i do not need tape.

I will give it a try with tubeless valve and sealant only, might get me some rimstrips if find it difficult.